Author Topic: Kanye's Late Registration Sales Soar after 'George Bush' Rant  (Read 303 times)

Mr. Humonculous

Kanye's Late Registration Sales Soar after 'George Bush' Rant
« on: September 06, 2005, 12:38:10 PM »
Kanye's Late Registration Sales Soar after 'George Bush' Rant
Tuesday - September 6, 2005
by Carl Chery   

Kanye West's first week sales are expected to reach the 900,000 mark following the super producer's off-the-cuff rant about the president during MSNBC's recent Concert for Hurricane Relief.

Last Thursday, early reports indicated that West's Late Registration was poised to scan between 800,000 to 850,000 units in its first week. But today, reports show that Late Registration is headed towards 900,000 units sold, after Kanye's scathing remarks about the president were broadcasted to millions during the MSNBC telethon and later re-broadcasted across the internet and news media.

Kanye's sales spike is being attributed to support for the Chicago rapper/producer after his comments during MSNBC's Concert for Hurricane Relief last Friday. During an impromptu rant with Austin Power's Mike Myers at his side, West went off his prepared statements and sharply criticized the media for calling Black people 'looters' and condemned the president's failure to respond to the Katrina Crisis.

"I hate the way they portray us in the media. You see a black family it says they're looting. You see a white family it says they are looking for food," Ye stated in reference to Yahoo! and other media outlets showing photos of Black people captioned as "looters" while white people seemed to "find" food from grocery stores.

A shocked Myers continued following the teleprompter, when West exclaimed, "George Bush doesn't care about Black people."

Despite some criticism, many people including Al Sharpton, David Banner, and several others in the Hip-Hop community, have expressed their support for West's statements, saying it represent the views of many frustrated Americans. Internet chatrooms and bulletin boards have been ablaze with discussions on the comments, with many calling him a 'hero' and vowing to purchase his album in an expression of support.

In other Kanye West news, the Chicagoan shocked students last week when he served as a "Stand-In" professor for one day at his former college, Chicago State University. The visit was part of "Stand In," a show on mtvU, MTV's 24-hour college network.

"Just a few years after he would have graduated, Kanye West is at the epicenter of new music, at the top of his game as an artist and producer," stated Stephen Friedman, GM of mtvU. "Who better than Kanye to inspire and educate the next generation of student talent."

As part of his duties, West taught a master class in song writing and arranging as part of the school's music program. The mtvU "Stand In" episode featuring Kanye West is slated to premiere on air and online at mtvu.com September 19th at 12 p.m.

sohh.com

« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 12:40:50 PM by Mr. Humonculous »

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: Kanye's Late Registration Sales Soar after 'George Bush' Rant
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 12:40:04 PM »
im not suprized.

wcsoldier

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 12:45:25 PM »
im not suprized.
me too , Damn 900k is very impressive, without a big single. off topic a big down to the 225 k die hard stans who bought Tony Mayo album

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 12:57:29 PM »
I dont understand these people,how does an action like that actually make people buy his CD???I mean,I dont have anything against Kanye's comment,its just that I dont get how rappers being locked up,speaking shit & all that make album sales go up.Thats just so stupid.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 01:01:43 PM »
It does remind ppeople that he has an album out though. 

-VZA-

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 01:07:14 PM »
"Just a few years after he would have graduated, Kanye West is at the epicenter of new music, at the top of his game as an artist and producer," stated Stephen Friedman, GM of mtvU. "Who better than Kanye to inspire and educate the next generation of student talent."
wtf ??? if he didn't finish school... how would he be a good influence on the next generation that are trying to go to school?
Ninja Babes - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NinjaBabes
like women who have abortions... i'm not havin' it.  ~canibus~
bust a nut inside your eye just to show you where i come from.  ~phife dawg~
like a man without no arms... you can't hang.  ~method man~
<--my future wifey

rafsta

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 01:30:43 PM »
this is what i said  :P

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 01:31:30 PM »
thats why fitty creates vendetas but kanye mouthed off the prez instead of a rapper

rafsta

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 01:34:45 PM »
im not suprized.
me too , Damn 900k is very impressive, without a big single. off topic a big down to the 225 k die hard stans who bought Tony Mayo album

i'd say 50 baught atleast 100,000 of em.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 01:37:30 PM »
i didn't like that cd taht much

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 01:59:31 PM »
That's kinda funny to me - Kanye West speaking to college students and "inspiring" them. Shit, dude's first album was full of "I didn't need college to get where I am" and "once I got the nerve to drop out I could do my own thing - look at me now". If I wanted to encourage kids to drop out of college, then I'd send Kanye West to speak to them. ;D

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 02:01:10 PM »
even though im not really feelin the album, im glad hes sellin. kanye is the only mainstream rapper that actually raps about real issues (besides nas)
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 02:25:05 PM »
even though im not really feelin the album, im glad hes sellin. kanye is the only mainstream rapper that actually raps about real issues (besides nas)

What real issues? He raps about himself on through the wire, bull shit mysognist garbage on Work Out Plan, pseudo spiritualism on Jesus Walks, and more mysognist crap on Gold Digger. The rest of his crap isn't commercial, and even then it's still garbage.

Seru

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 02:40:47 PM »

What real issues? He raps about himself on through the wire, bull shit mysognist garbage on Work Out Plan, pseudo spiritualism on Jesus Walks, and more mysognist crap on Gold Digger. The rest of his crap isn't commercial, and even then it's still garbage.

co-sign that ;)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 03:30:31 PM »
Damn, those are GRODT first-week-sales.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin