Author Topic: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 466 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: April 03, 2001, 01:43:42 PM »
I used to think dre esentially made Nuthin But A G Thangs beat by himself and i remembered that there was a sample credit to Leon Haywood's "I Wanna Do Something Freaky To You"..well listen to the song (easily available on napster) and it's almost the exact same thing as g thang..dre straight took that shit..i thought it was a little unrecognizable sample until i heard the song it is a good song but i los some serious respect for dre,he practically did nothing to change it..even the counter-melodies are the same...this was like dre's trademark shit and it's 98 % stolen...well he gave credit and paid royalties and it is an interpolation so he had to something but damn this was dre's fuckin signature shit! And it's someone elses..damn...i am so disillusioned...fuck man...somebody help...peace-Tanjint
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Don Seer

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2001, 01:48:37 PM »
hahah.. listen mothership connection then let me ride ;o)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2001, 01:58:35 PM »
I have mothership connection star child on CD (The Best Of Parliament-Get it!) but Dre changed that around a little...he extended some of the whistles,he added a different bassline, he sped it up,had different harder drums, had melodies come and go, altthough mothership connection starchild's final minute is very similar to let me ride Dre did alot of things to that song that would entitle him credit but this i wanna do soemthing freaky to you song's first minute was virtually unchanged for the beat of nuthin but a g thang..Dre did almost jack shit for that beat..he did alot for star child...peace-Tanjint

westcoastavengers.com

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2001, 02:21:38 PM »
its the nature of this music, its all built on samples.

Dre blew it up in a way Leon Haywood never could/would.

An example.. I have an interview here with David Axelrod - legendary.. I mean as big as Quincy.. just not so public.

He produced 'The Edge' that Dre sampled for Next Episode and when asked about it he said...
- - -
(interviewer) Shit, Dr.Dre sampled The Edge even thought VIC got their first
(axelrod) Listen, the way Dre did it was so hip. He did it so bright, so artistically, Diamond D is the same way.
Dre did something to that song, I don't know, but it sounded better than the way I did it.
He took the intro and put it after the verse. I said "Damn, thats a hell of an idea. It sounds like it fits better!" He really broke it up better'
(Big Daddy Magazine, Issue 6 - page 11)
- - -

has this restored your faith?

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2001, 02:46:37 PM »
G Thang Sounds MUCH Better Than The Watered Down Leon Version... He ReRecorded It, The Keys Sound MUCH Better, He Added A Seperate Wah-Guitar Track, There's Different Drums, A Ride Cymbal All The Way Through... It's Alot Brighter, Sounds Much Better.

Let Me Ride, Same Thing... Better Bass, Mixed Better, Brighter, Bigger Sound.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2001, 02:54:52 PM »
I agreed with the let me ride thing..but the thing is dre did almost nothing to make g thang better than the leon haywood version...Dre did the same with "I'd Rather fuck you" to Bootsy collins of P-funk's "I'd Rather be With You" but the thing is that g thang is dre's fuckin staple,his trademark,his signature his SONG! His shit! Its what he's known for and he hardly did shit to make it....although the addition of the whistle/whiny synth instead of violin for that one melody was nice that's pretty much all dre did...i still like dre and think he's the best and all but i lost some respect for him..but who am i,some little 13 year old know-it-all kid dwelling on the music of these muthafuckaz who're never gonna give half a fuck about me anyway...whatever..it dont' matter it all sounds good so fuck it...i'm just goin thru som self-estemm issues,damn puberty LOL...peace-Tanjint

westcoastavengers.com

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2001, 02:59:31 PM »
I Think The Cymbals And Tambourine And Drums Are A Big Part Of That Song, And Dre Added Them, Plus Changed The Keys, So I Think He Added Plenty... If You Listen Close, There's Also A Second Wah Guitar.  Plus, He Re-Recorded The Original Tracks, He Didn't Sample Them... I Think It Sounds MUCH Better...

Plus, Dre Didn't ASK For That To Be His Signature Song.

HEY! I'm Jumpin' Over To The "Digging" Forum, See Yall There... LOL.

-KuNiVaA-

• Lil Geezy
  • Belizean Pride!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2001, 06:05:32 PM »
as long as other people dont kno' about this, who cares!? Dre and Snoop still added the vocals and thats whut everyone mostly remembers, like Trauma said, Dre added a lot to it, so it dont matter, as long as he switched up the song a lil', it was still a hit .....
"Aiyyo, you betta flee Hobbes, or get your head flown three blocks, L keep rapper's hearts pumpin like Reeboks" - Big L

truemaster

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • EL Mas Chingon!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2001, 07:15:06 PM »
I can't believe someone actually thought that G Thang wasn't sampled!! But you still have to give some credit to Dre, for lacing some of those tracks up!!

"But If You Say Cali Aint Shit, You probably Visited The Valley Little Bitch!"

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2001, 07:25:21 PM »
NOOO I knew it was sampled but i never really thought about it,i figured that it was a respectable sample,the way he did mothership connection,knee deep etc. but today was the first time i decided to look into that particular sample..thats how i got into George Clinton,is looking into samples...well i guess Trauma was right...Nuthin But A G Thang over-all really is a better song...so we can't really say that Dre didn't do anything he did put the track together...but this makes dre seem like less of a producer and more of a composer like that supposedly ignorant sohh.com/ forum says....peace-Tanjint

westcoastavengers.com

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2001, 10:35:19 PM »
check the hip hop classic Rapper's delight,it's almost exactly "we are family" by Chic.....and coolio's "fantastic voyage" ain't a hip hop classic but it's a pretty tight song and uses the same beat as earth wind and fire's Fantastic Voyage....

it's just dre giving props to his roots don't tirp sampling is one of hip hop's most wonderful arts...plus look at it this way the beats dre make up off the top of his head are way better than any other hip hop producer's and don't rely on what those idiots at the sohh board say they're ignorant and biast like most west coast fans USE to be...so it ain't no thang but a chicken wang. Dre's the best and other producers sample more than him so it's all good

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Goldme

• 'G'
  • That's me, what you want?
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2001, 06:57:52 AM »
And what's also not known is that this song appeared on the "clie-n-telle" album.

This album contains an instrumental AND one on which clie-n-telle(fromer member of WCWC?) raps the same lyrics. This version of nuttin but a g thang contains the original instrumental(leon haywoods'). Not the one done by dre. There's also some WCWC material produced by dre on there. I have that album on mp3, but can't seem to find it anywhere.

It was released briefly after chronic(to gain from dres succes with that song I think). clie-n-telle gives props to dre on that album, never heard anything from him again. Does anyone have info on this one? which label it was released, date, did dre gave his approval for this release?

By the way, this album is credited as to be dres(as if he released it) but dre never appears on this album except in his WCWC material.

Last modification: Goldme - 04/04/01 at 11:57:52
aka Supreme pimp: I don't pimp ho's, I pimp pimps

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2001, 12:30:39 PM »
I got nothing against sampling..i think sampling is great,when i get to working on my album,i am gonna sample my ass off, but only when you use the sample  to make something new, to buil from the sample,to add and subtract and mix in shit with the sample, but dre seemingly didn't do shit for this sample,he just jacked it....well i guess Trauma was right...last night i was listening to my instrumental of g thang and it is better...dre tightened the melodies,added some inconspicuous but vital layers,used counter-melodies at different times,mastered the loop and made an over-all better song..so i guess it's all good...peace-Tanjint

westcoastavengers.com

Don Seer

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2001, 12:34:17 PM »
GoldMe : by "clie-n-telle album" do you mean Dres 'Concrete Roots' ?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2001, 09:43:02 PM »
I got "Concrete Roots"...It's not a Clie N Telle album....It jusy has a bunch of stuff produced by Dre and shit, and just the first and last song is Clie N Telle rapping/....Clie N Telle never had a solo album..