Author Topic: Who on here knows how to play the Guitar  (Read 142 times)

Doggystylin

Who on here knows how to play the Guitar
« on: September 11, 2005, 02:17:07 PM »
im just learning cause im taking a guitar class at my college, and the strings are crazy man, my fingers are so torn up

BJV

Re: Who on here knows how to play the Guitar
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 02:21:51 PM »
use one of those whatthefuckaretheycalledits instead of your fingers

I can play keys and make beats and there are alot of good ways to get realistic sounding guitars without playing guitar yourself still there's nothing like the real thing. I'm thinking of someday giving guitar a try too,

And my advice is try to write your own songs I got a neighbour who plays hendrix riffs all day thinks he's a genius  ::)

Doggystylin

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 02:25:06 PM »
you mean a pick? yeah thats for your right hand, but im talking about the left hand that has to hold down the strings, thats what tears up your fingers and gets them sore

BJV

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 02:29:18 PM »
Ah ok. Don't they have something for that too?

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 03:13:08 PM »
^^ well, what are you supposed to do? You gotta hold down the strings with the left hand and the bad thing for beginners is how you gotta twist your fingers...and those can hardly be replaced

but yeah lol, the left hand is crazy when you start, but you get used to that, believe me. I´m not that much of a great guitarist, but it gets better the more practice you got. You just have to adjust your thumb so it´s in the right position and know how to place your fingers, but if you´re taking classes you should be taught all of that

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 07:18:46 PM »
I've played one before but I have no clue what I'm doing. I've also played bass, and I can play Smoke On The Water but that's it. Last couple days my buddy who lives in our student house rented a drum kit, so I've been learning to play that. Also, I taught myself some keyboard and harmonica, but I only make shit up with them since I don't care to play other people's music, only my own.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 10:22:12 PM »
I do....

but in all honesty its just practice...in the beggining your fingers start hurting when you play, but the more you play, the harder your fingers get, and after awhile you dont feel any pain anymore on your fingers.. and get some good picks, and remember to hold them right..

Suga Foot

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 10:42:44 PM »
I like playing the guitar, but i don't really know how.  Being a guitar player seems like too much of a commitment for me.  I'm not ready for that lol.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 11:46:10 PM »
i've been playing for a while now , i just recomend playing til you get blisters or are jsut REALLY sore, and then before you go take a shower or wash your hands put some super glue on your finger tips so that way your fingers don't get all fuckin soft and shit. also if you're starting out on an accoustic guitar get some nylon strings AT FIRST then graduate to some medium elixers.........and as for electrics get a pack of  some MED signature series Dean Markley's , it's what Kirk Hammett of Metallica uses and it's perfect for solos of for rhythm.

also what kind of guitar are you using.....if you're playing Strat or strat-like guitar i'd focus on playing more solos and scale shit because they usually have a faster neck and a better lower action.but trying to play some chords sounds a lil iffy.  if you got a les paul or les paul-like guitar you could pretty much do it all and anything. as far as amps go , i'd stick to Marshall or Mesa Boogie , don't fuck with crate or peavy or some cheap bullshit, your best bet is always a vintage amp like an old school vox or marshall though , but that shti costs $

don't get discoraged if you're not good right away either it's something that takes a while to get good at.

just look up songs you like on

Ultimate-guitar.com
mxtabs.net
olga.net
tabcrawler.com

and just look up the tabs the best way to learn guitar is on your own

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Sikotic™

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 12:10:09 AM »
use one of those whatthefuckaretheycalledits instead of your fingers

I can play keys and make beats and there are alot of good ways to get realistic sounding guitars without playing guitar yourself still there's nothing like the real thing. I'm thinking of someday giving guitar a try too,

And my advice is try to write your own songs I got a neighbour who plays hendrix riffs all day thinks he's a genius  ::)

Haha, thats my brother man. Hendrix riffs non stop. I told him to try somethin else, but he's not that creative I guess.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

NADYA_IS_BACK

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 07:42:07 AM »
i can. just start off by learning the basic chords. then learn the notes which should be pretty straight forward. dont use a pick until your semi decent. i dont know what ur startin on and its prob gay to u but its best to start on a simple acoustic before u use an electric with an amp and shit for the sake of peolple who have to listen.

Diabolical

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 10:03:26 AM »
Learn some punk its great for learning power chords all over the guitar and its fun.
Try and keep your thumb in the middle of the neck at the back unless you're bending a string then move it up to give leverage.

I would definatly start off using a pick unless you want to play basic stuff forever because you wont be able to pluck yery fast with just your thumb.

Also, this is really important, always pick down, up, down, up , down, up. and use your wrist not your whole arm to pick.

as Jake said Ultimate-guitar.com has some of the best lessons and tabs.