Author Topic: TLC Singer Lisa Lopes Killed in Car Crash  (Read 277 times)

TimeLock

TLC Singer Lisa Lopes Killed in Car Crash
« on: April 26, 2002, 04:36:23 AM »
TLC Singer Lisa Lopes Killed in Car Crash

By TANIA FUENTEZ
.c The Associated Press

ATLANTA (April 26) - Lisa ''Left Eye'' Lopes, the effervescent, sometimes volatile rapping member of the Grammy-winning trio TLC, was killed in a car crash in Honduras, her record company said early Friday.

Lopes, who would have turned 31 next month, was in the Central American nation for a vacation, Arista Records' senior vice president of publicity Laura Swanson told The Associated Press. Lopes was reportedly among seven people in the car Thursday night and the only fatality.

''No words can possibly express the sorrow and sadness I feel for this most devastating loss,'' said Arista president L.A. Reid, who helped shape the career of the Atlanta-based R&B group, one of the best-selling female groups in history.

''Lisa was not only a gifted and talented musical inspiration, but more importantly, she was like a daughter to me. My thoughts and prayers are with Lisa's family and friends. Her legacy will be remembered forever.''

The location of the car crash was not immediately determined. It was unclear whether she was wearing a seatbelt.

TLC, which also includes Tionne ''T-Boz'' Watkins and Rozonda ''Chilli'' Thomas, were the group behind such hits as ''Waterfall,'' ''No Scrubs'' and ''Unpretty.'' Their latest album was ''FanMail.''

''We had all grown up together and were as close as a family,'' the surviving bandmates said in a statement Friday. ''Today we have truly lost our sister.''

The group made its debut in 1992 with the disc ''Ooooooh ... On the TLC Tip!'' Their unique sound, which paired Watkins and Thomas' vocals with Philadelphia-born Lopes' fast-paced, squeaky-voiced rhymes, made them an immediate sensation, along with their baggy, condom-attached wardrobe.

In 1994, they returned with ''CrazySexyCool'' - Lopes was dubbed the ''crazy'' member of the group, Thomas the ''sexy'' one and Watkins the ''cool'' one. The quadruple platinum album saw the women abandon their sometimes gimmicky image to evolve into a critically acclaimed group. The disc included the No. 1 hit ''Creep'' and won them the first two of their four Grammy Awards.

But with success came enough turmoil to fill a VH1 ''Behind the Music'' special. The trio declared bankruptcy a few years ago, citing poorly structured recording contracts.

In 1994, Lopes pleaded guilty to arson in a fire that destroyed the mansion of former Atlanta Falcons receiver Andre Rison, her boyfriend. Lopes was sentenced to a halfway house and five years probation, plus a $10,000 fine.

Lopes admitted she started the fire after an argument with Rison. The mansion was valued at more than $1 million. The two later broke up, only to reunite and break up again. However, last year they announced plans to marry.

Watkins was hospitalized several times, suffering from sickle cell anemia, a serious blood disease, and infighting among group members also was reported. In 2000, after the release of the triple-platinum disc ''Fanmail,'' Lopes publicly challenged Watkins and Thomas to put out solo albums, and let fans determine who was the most popular group member.

But in an interview with the AP later that year, Watkins dismissed talk of a serious rift.

''With three women, you agree to disagree. I'm not always going to agree with Lisa and she's not always going to agree with me, that's fine,'' she said.

TLC had been on hiatus, but had recently been in the studio working on a new record due to have been released this year. Lopes had tried to release her own album last year called ''Supernova''; It was released internationally by Arista, but poor radio support for the record caused the project to be shelved in the United States.

Within in past few months, Lopes reportedly signed a solo deal with Suge Knight's Death Row label to put out a solo project under the pseudonym, ''N.I.N.A.'' (New Identity Not Applicable). She also helped start the group ''Blaque,'' an R&B trio who had the hit ''Bring It Home To Me.''

Arista spokeswoman Laura Swanson said that Lopes went frequently to Honduras to vacation.

''She just found it really peaceful and tranquil, and it was a very special place for her,'' she said.

Her manager has flown to Honduras to bring her body back to the United States, Swanson said.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

TimeLock

Re: TLC Singer Lisa Lopes Killed in Car Crash
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2002, 04:37:56 AM »
:-[she died to young and to soon... :'(

Quadruple OG

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2002, 04:41:44 AM »
it's a shame she died.

but on the bright side, Detective Slikkafella has discovered that Suge Knight had her killed.  Although he has no evidence and is making himself look like a complete jackass by stating that, he still sees a connection between Left Eye's death in Honduras and Suge Knight  ::)

Nosak

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Half Dogg,Half Monkey..Bitch! Donkey Kong
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2002, 04:50:27 AM »
it's a shame she died.

but on the bright side, Detective Slikkafella has discovered that Suge Knight had her killed.  Although he has no evidence and is making himself look like a complete jackass by stating that, he still sees a connection between Left Eye's death in Honduras and Suge Knight  ::)
thank  you thank you , yeah i really mean it bitch , thank you..... i just hope the 7 other people could only talk about that chase so ya bitch ass could shit the fuck up once and for all , fuckin fagg
snoop dogg - "i don't fuck with the pocus everybody
knows this , i fuck with the chronic cause the chronic
gives me dopeness"                                   

- Look here bitch you're fine and i dig your style...-

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2002, 04:53:33 AM »
Detective Slikkafella

LOL.

I HIGHLY doubt this has anything to do with Suge.
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

Tito

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2002, 05:43:15 AM »
Slicckkaaffeellaa is a cuntfuck!  ;)

min0rity

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2002, 06:04:05 AM »
please ignore slickafellho.....he has snoop's dick so far up in his ass that he is choking on it....

Nosak

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2002, 09:05:46 AM »
please ignore slickafellho.....he has snoop's dick so far up in his ass that he is choking on it....

same old bullshit, grow up kid
gives me dopeness"                                   

Nosak

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2002, 09:09:57 AM »
Slicckkaaffeellaa is a cuntfuck!  ;)

yeah thats true , u didn'T know that already  ::)

anyways if i'm a cuntfuck, well you twice cuntfuck then me boy you worst then a bitch begging for a dick on the streets, u never had your mind right so why would i start a war against ya. i'm just tryin to ignore thoses bullshits but they everywhere. so i have to answer back, but now i ain't replying both of lisa left eyes lopez topic anymores, i'ma just ignore whatever u can say , so go ahead i don't give a ...
gives me dopeness"                                   

PLANT

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2002, 10:05:57 AM »
R.I.P. to Lisa Lopes

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2002, 10:09:39 AM »

LMAO

R.I.P

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

S.G.V.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2002, 10:27:22 PM »
r.i.p. to left eye...also as a honduran myself i can say this....driving in honduras takes a whole lot of skill....people dont give a fuck there....the cops wont do shit cuz u can just pay them off....people park on the wrong sides....go over center dividers....drive on the wrong side....thats a regular....its not a suprise to see it.....so it was no shock to hear it was a car accident....though it was a shock to hear that she died....i was trippin out..."what the hell would a famous person be doing in honduras?"....also suge knight did cross my mind....but i doubt he had shit to do with this....either way honduran authorities probably give a fuck...the only time ive heard them crack down on people is when my 2nd cousin saw some kid get shot while they played russian roulet....aside from that ive never heard of them doing shit....hopefully they find out exactly what happend...but i highly doubt it.....r.i.p. left eye

min0rity

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2002, 11:35:49 AM »

same old bullshit, grow up kid

yo you need to grow up 'detective' slickkafellho and stop hatin on suge all the time for NO REASON just cuz your god snoop don't like him....

Smooth

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2002, 11:38:44 AM »
R.I.P. to Lisa Lopes

"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

KVB

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2002, 09:56:02 PM »
R.I.P.  Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes :'(