Author Topic: WARREN G is off Universal Records  (Read 1174 times)

KVB

Re: WARREN G is off Universal Records
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2002, 08:04:14 AM »

Man shut up! If you think Warren G's carreer is ruined just cause the sales of his last album aint that good.. then you a fool! What about Nas then? Or Snoop with The Wash OST and with Doggys Angels etc? What about ALL the West Coast releases of 2001? Everybody with a ruined carreer? Shit.

You dont like him or his last album, and it's clear. And i accept it, of course. But stop writing bullshit, and bullshit, and bullshit. Snoop made a lot of bad releases on Doggystyle, but still he's there! Same with Dre (who remembers Dre Presents The Aftermath?). Same with Daz. Same with Nate (who really got his last album OG? lol! I bet just 2-3 of you..). So.. everybody with a ruined career?

Warren G made a good album. Not his best, but.. still a good album (probably the 2nd best of 2001. In the top 10 for sure!). The problem is not of Warren G. The problem is of the West Coast rap and of the record labels who aint spending money on (West Coast non exposed) rappers no more (like they used to do back in the days). That's the reason why we have record labels spending millions to make videos for Ja Rule and a lot of NY wack rappers. Just cause they got the attention of the media, of MTV and of young fans (expecially from Europe).

Warren used to have a GREAT promotion. Let's say the truth! He sold millions because of singles/videos like Regulate and I Shot The Sheriff. And What's Love Got To Do With It. Videos that everybody saw on MTV and everywhere! (the singles went even platinum i think). So it's all about promotions. No more videos played on a regular base on MTV? No more platinum hits! Clear as fuck. This is how it works, man! Simple. Then you can judge a whole album and compare it to his first one, and write that probably the 1st is still his best one. But that's another fact. 99% of the guys who buy rap albums just buy them because of a famous single/video. Warren chosed the wrong video and it didnt even make MTV here in Italy. So what the fuck do u want more from him?

Like u can see... it's all about promotion!

Look at Knoc. He's famous just cause he made a damn video with Dre. And they played it everywhere. And now you all wanna buy his album.

U know what i mean?

PROMOTION.

What I ment is that he'll probably never regain lost popularity... if you disagree with my opinions, simply ignore them... I do not intend to offend anyone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Liquid-Dogg

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2002, 08:18:12 AM »

What I ment is that he'll probably never regain lost popularity... if you disagree with my opinions, simply ignore them... I do not intend to offend anyone.

Personally i agree with KVB, Warren G is gettin too old for this shit, i know Dre is too, but that different, he a more famouse artists/producer When i saw the video to Lookin At yOu, i jus thought DAAAAAAM warren's gettin old....he jus ain't something that the new catz of hip hop wanna listen to...

Peace

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2002, 08:42:49 AM »

Personally i agree with KVB, Warren G is gettin too old for this shit, i know Dre is too, but that different, he a more famouse artists/producer When i saw the video to Lookin At yOu, i jus thought DAAAAAAM warren's gettin old....he jus ain't something that the new catz of hip hop wanna listen to...

Peace

Are you an ageist? Age has nothing to do with it & Warren's still young so I don't know where that 'too old' statement comes from....

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Smooth

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2002, 08:56:43 AM »

Are you an ageist? Age has nothing to do with it & Warren's still young so I don't know where that 'too old' statement comes from....

Exactly... Warren isn't that old at all
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

min0rity

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2002, 09:31:51 AM »
me personally warren g is whack no offense....his ROTR album wasn't what ya'll hyped it up to me....it was an average album so don't try to push it off on universal records, blame it on warren for lack of work

the408figga

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Keep it Savvy!!
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2002, 12:09:32 PM »

i think alot of yall are making some valid points.

if this is true and he did get dropped, its just pure trifling. but i know that both sides are to blame

whoever is responsible for choosing "lookin at you" as a first single made a BAD move because that song dont represent warren g or g funk. its one of dre' left over crap beats

warren g doesnt show very much charisma. we all know he is layed back. but just having laid back music isnt going to cut it. especially without promotion. he is extremely quiet in interviews. he isnt controversial. all these things add up. the talent is there.

as far as universals part,...they didnt promote for shit...im sure the only reason they chose "lookin at you" as the lead single was because it was dre  produced. they havnt showed me much.
but one thing yall are forgeting is they dont  know how to handle a westcoast artist. since universal is a downsouth label, they dont have to  do much for the artist down there, since that market supports anything from their area. but the same cant be said for westcoast artist. maybe its becaus of the fans in the westcoast. since we dont get no radio play fans dont know what poppin in the west
I stay dipped like them fools in gq/ step into a party and they all say " he's cool"/
                                             -Mac Dre

Im a 3rd generation mack/ like the asses on my girls like the trunk of my caddilac/
                                              -Mac Mall

4 KiN L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Me Beamer...
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2002, 12:38:37 PM »
i wouldn't like to see dre sign warren to aftermath simply cos dre is only signin new talent...

warren g needs to sign with a label that has all the old true g's like dogg house...but the only problem is snoops dogg house's parent label priority aint too good at promotin the albums neither...which is precisely what warren needs....

and the album aint even gettin promoted in the US, or countries much closer, so whats the point in arguin UK if they can't even push units in his own country? he needs a label that will rep him worldwide at the right times...like death row did with its past artists...but he aint gonna sign wit death row now is he??

Young Dan Iza

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2002, 12:57:37 PM »
what ever happened 2 the ghetto village RMX wit snoop and nelly, that prolly woulda helped him get sales

4 KiN L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Me Beamer...
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2002, 01:12:01 PM »
what ever happened 2 the ghetto village RMX wit snoop and nelly, that prolly woulda helped him get sales

coz of nelly mainly yeah...if they released a video and had the remix as the single n shit snoop would help him sell....but these days nelly would more!

Young Dan Iza

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2002, 03:14:09 PM »

coz of nelly mainly yeah...if they released a video and had the remix as the single n shit snoop would help him sell....but these days nelly would more!

whered u hear that nelly wouldnt do it?

Antonio

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2002, 07:09:27 PM »
When i saw the video to Lookin At yOu, i jus thought DAAAAAAM warren's gettin old....Peace

This is right. I thought it too. Just compare his tired face with the one of his old videos. He's getting old. He's 30 or 31, he aint young no more. But it's another Warren G...

Btw..

We are still talking about rumors like they true. I mean.. c'mon.. let's wait for some official news. We just heard it from Myrealname (no disrespect, but u didnt quote any official news). I wanna c it officially written somewhere first. And about Ghetto Village, we dont know the full story at all.

Maybe Warren recognized he cant never be the same Warren G that made platinum singles, and videos in the top 3 of MTV & BET, so he realized that it's better to get some G's by going underground, maybe working with Mista Grimm....

Who knows? Give him a chance. He's still the one who put Snoop, Nate, 5 Footaz, Twinz, Reel Tight, Dove Shack etc.. on the map! He can be a CEO. Personally i think he is the only DPGC affiliated who got the skills to be a CEO (with Dre, of course). So it's interesting. Let's wait for other moves. His career is totally in his hands now..

Tito

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2002, 11:53:06 PM »
Twinz's album was the only decent warren g's production, Reel Tight's album is wack as fuck.

Tito

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2002, 11:55:06 PM »
"He can be a CEO. Personally i think he is the only DPGC affiliated who got the skills to be a CEO "  ::)

DJ_Jay_Deee

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2002, 11:58:24 PM »

This is right. I thought it too. Just compare his tired face with the one of his old videos. He's getting old. He's 30 or 31, he aint young no more. But it's another Warren G...

Btw..

We are still talking about rumors like they true. I mean.. c'mon.. let's wait for some official news. We just heard it from Myrealname (no disrespect, but u didnt quote any official news). I wanna c it officially written somewhere first. And about Ghetto Village, we dont know the full story at all.

Maybe Warren recognized he cant never be the same Warren G that made platinum singles, and videos in the top 3 of MTV & BET, so he realized that it's better to get some G's by going underground, maybe working with Mista Grimm....

Who knows? Give him a chance. He's still the one who put Snoop, Nate, 5 Footaz, Twinz, Reel Tight, Dove Shack etc.. on the map! He can be a CEO. Personally i think he is the only DPGC affiliated who got the skills to be a CEO (with Dre, of course). So it's interesting. Let's wait for other moves. His career is totally in his hands now..

U made some good points there. I agree with most of what u said.

Antonio

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2002, 12:30:16 AM »
Twinz's album was the only decent warren g's production, Reel Tight's album is wack as fuck.

I agree. But you forgot he produced tracks for Snoop, for Nate, for Tha Eastsidaz, for Kurupt, for 5 Footaz, for Mista Grimm, for 2Pac, for Shaq, etc..

The Twinz album is pratically perfect! The Reel Tight is just average, but that's because they aint that good. I mean.. it was a R&B album. First time Warren tried with a R&B album. It wasnt good, but blame Reel Tight, man! I mean Jodeci are off the hook even without beats! It's not a rap album, it was more like an experiment. A bad one probably.

I wanna see if Warren produced a whole album (or just a track) to Mary J Blige like Dre did. Well.. one thing is to make experiments with Reel Tight (no diss), one thing is to work with stars..