Author Topic: Trauma's Old School Artist of the Week, Volume 1  (Read 440 times)

Trauma-san

Trauma's Old School Artist of the Week, Volume 1
« on: December 05, 2005, 04:15:59 PM »
Alright, I think I might have done this before, but I'm going to restart it to try and spread some love on the board since I'm usually such a source of hate.  LOL.

Every week, hopefully on Monday if I can remember... I'm going to make a post, where I mention a musician, show you their picture, and print the lyrics from the most significant song I know of theres. 

Now, a couple things are going to happen after that.  First, a whole shitload of people are going to read it, because I'm never going to put in the title who the artist of the week is.  Second, most of the people on the board, will think "What a joke" and ridicule it.  I invite your ridicule, lol.  Post whatever the hell you want as a reply.  Third... a few people will look @ the post and the musician with an open mind, and they will find that my taste is beautiful.  If I print a song it's because it's moved me, and is nothing short of a great contribution to the world that you can get a lot of love out of.

This WILL work, because it's worked countless times for me before on here.  I've single handedly made it cool to talk about Brian Wilson... for about 4 or 5 people on here.  Over the years when I post info about bands, I always get private emails for months after talking about them and asking questions, because people do love good music.  Even if only 1 other person 'gets it', that's enough for me.

Oh, and also, I fully realize I'm not the first person to hear all these bands.  I'm just making what's likely the first thread about them on THIS board, and hopefully a lot of people that have never heard them will enjoy it.

O.K., the first artist is..... Merle Haggard.

You're going to have to get over your absolute adversion to anything that says 'country music'.  Country music usually comes straight from the soul, and you won't find me posting about any political or condescending towards other religions on these posts. 

When Johnny Cash became famous, one of the things he did was notice that a lot of his fan mail was coming from prisons... people locked up felt a connection to him, good, or bad.  Since Cash thought he had some love to spread, he decided to play concerts at some of the prisions.  He did several.  One was at San Quentin.

When Cash performed at San Quentin, a young man sat in the front row and watched the entire show, mesmerized.  He was 22 year old Merle Haggard, serving a sentence there for god knows what.

When Merle was released, he hit it big with a song he wrote called "Mama Tried" about how his mom tried to save him from his wreckless behavior. 

My favorite Merle Haggard song is called "That's The Way Love Goes".  He's now considered one of the most influential songwriters of the past 40 years.

Reply if you want, good or bad, doesn't matter.

That's The Way Love Goes (1983)

"I've been throwin' horseshoes,
over my left shoulder
I've spent most all my life...
searchin' for that 4 leaf clover.
Yet you ran with me...
chasing my rainbows
Honey, I love you too, and that's the way love goes

That's the Way Love Goes, babe
That's the music god made
For all the world to sing
It's never old, it grows.
Losing makes me sorry
You say "Honey, now don't worry"
Don't you know I love you too, and that's the way love goes

That's the way love goes, babe
That's the music god made
For all the world to sing
It's never old, it grows.
Losing makes me sorry
You say "Honey, don't worry..
Don't you know I love you too, and that's the way love goes"

mauzip

Re: Trauma's Old School Artist of the Week, Volume 1
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 04:17:44 PM »
this is so touching :'(

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 04:18:39 PM »
Great artist, I listened to him a lot in the summer when my dad and I built a deck out back, and when we had a family barbecue. Good song you picked.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

PLANT

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 04:31:17 PM »
Not that I dont respect your opinion, but dont you ever feel like you post at the wrong forum?  You dont really ever post about westcoast rap or hiphop music in general.  What is it that makes you want to post at DubCC?
Just curious, no hard feelings. 

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 05:11:34 PM »
Hey Homie!!!

I think its good in a way, because he's teaching others about the music he likes, I mean its not like it was bullshit music, he's talking about those that had an impact in MUSIC in general, You Got people On Dubcc that only knows about WestCoast music, wich is sad because u have to be open minded musically, In my opinion its sad to feel a song with a sample , without knowing who did the original song. So in my opnion we should take Trauma's post as a lesson, because alot of dudes doesnt know about the Roots of music and Trauma is giving it to y'all. Its Interesting and In my Opinion WE SHOULD HAVE A SECTION THAT WOULD TEACH US ABOUT MUSIC , AND THE ROOTS OF IT.  I mean u got people on the board that doesnt even know what kind of Music Sean Paul is doing, for some Sean Paul Created Dancehall music, so to me it is sad, That is what dubcc is missing, they need to learn more and more, about other genre of music, they need to learn more about the artists, they need to learn more about Executive Producers, they need to know that and its for Us to give it to them.

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 05:30:05 PM »
Not that I dont respect your opinion, but dont you ever feel like you post at the wrong forum?  You dont really ever post about westcoast rap or hiphop music in general.  What is it that makes you want to post at DubCC?
Just curious, no hard feelings. 

That's not entirely true.  I've posted several things in the past week in westcoast related threads.  Also, I don't live my life thinking of only one brand of music... like many people here do.  Most people here won't listen to anything BUT rap, possibly they'll listen to something that's R&B.  The truth is that the lines between different genres of music are very thin.  The country song I listed above is something Usher could sing and have a hit record with tommorow... so when you think I'm totally out of touch, I'm not.  Good music is Good music.  If a rap song is good, I'm it's biggest fan.  If it's shit I'm not afraid to say it's shit, and I'm not going to like it just because it's a westcoast rap song or whatever. 

You also shouldn't assume this is the only music board I post at. 

Peace~

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 05:48:24 PM »
That's The Way Love Goes is a great record. I also have duet version with him Jewel but it's not as good as I thought it would.

My favourite Haggard tunes are Branded Man, Mam Tried, The Bottle Let Me Down, and Lonesome Fugitive.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 06:23:43 PM »
Hey Homie!!!

I think its good in a way, because he's teaching others about the music he likes, I mean its not like it was bullshit music, he's talking about those that had an impact in MUSIC in general, You Got people On Dubcc that only knows about WestCoast music, wich is sad because u have to be open minded musically, In my opinion its sad to feel a song with a sample , without knowing who did the original song. So in my opnion we should take Trauma's post as a lesson, because alot of dudes doesnt know about the Roots of music and Trauma is giving it to y'all. Its Interesting and In my Opinion WE SHOULD HAVE A SECTION THAT WOULD TEACH US ABOUT MUSIC , AND THE ROOTS OF IT.  I mean u got people on the board that doesnt even know what kind of Music Sean Paul is doing, for some Sean Paul Created Dancehall music, so to me it is sad, That is what dubcc is missing, they need to learn more and more, about other genre of music, they need to learn more about the artists, they need to learn more about Executive Producers, they need to know that and its for Us to give it to them.

Word.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Eihtball

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 06:56:26 PM »
I don't like Merle Haggard when he gets too political (because his politics are different from mine - like on "Okie From Muskogee"), but I'm not hatin on him.  A lot of his stuff is quality.

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 08:09:53 PM »
^ I believe that almost any musican makes a mistake when they make a political song.  It's good that you can seperate that part of him, though.

Music's a gift from God, politics are man made and evil, you shouldn't mix the two. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 08:52:34 PM »
I don't like Merle Haggard when he gets too political (because his politics are different from mine - like on "Okie From Muskogee"), but I'm not hatin on him.  A lot of his stuff is quality.

Haggard's songs are just about his way of life. Just about all his songs. Okie is just the way he gets down, and Fightin' Side of Me is just the way he sees things. Those songs are no different than any of his others.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 10:30:55 AM »
He's from Bakersfield as well... 8)

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 02:36:34 PM »
yea, ill check this guy out, i wont lie, ill go into it with a negative view, cause i dont like the country sound, but trauma, and shallow, and etc, please dont stop posting, cause ive learned more about music and rock on this board than rap, and i love all the posts you guys put down.

Trauma-san

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 02:43:47 PM »
Merle Haggard's kind of like on the Edge of Country... sort of like Johnny Cash. 

Eihtball

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 06:33:07 PM »
Haggard's songs are just about his way of life. Just about all his songs. Okie is just the way he gets down, and Fightin' Side of Me is just the way he sees things. Those songs are no different than any of his others.

Yeah, I remember him saying in interviews he just did that song because he was trying to illustrate the contrast many people in Muskogee saw between themselves and the rest of the U.S. at the time, how different shit was and how strange it felt to them.  But the song got adopted by the conservatives as an anti-hippie anthem (and then David Duke asked him to perform it at a clan rally...LOL).

Still, I've always thought his songs do tend to border on jingoistic at times...like "The Fighting Side of Me".