Author Topic: Chris Rock says N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton is the best rap album of all-time  (Read 767 times)

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
thought it was pretty tite. in the newest rolling stones, he lists his top 25 greatest rap albums ever, here is the side commentary for "straight outta compton"

"N.W.A is the most influential act of the last thirty years - bigger than Nirvana, Madonna, or the Sex Pistols. Nothing has been the same since they came. I remember I was in LA when I was a kid, and I brought 'Straight Outta Compton' back to New York. More people were coming over to my house to listen to N.W.A than were going across the street to the crack house. I had the real shit. It was kind of like the British Invasion for black people."

1. N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton
2. Snoop Dogg Dogg - Doggystyle
3. 2Pac - Rap Phenomenon II
4. Run-DMC - Raising Hell
5. Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II
6. LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out
7. EPMD - Unfinished Business
8. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
9. A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
10. De La Soul - Buhloone Mindstate
11. The D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better
12. Eric B. And Rakim - Follow The Leader
13. Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords
14. Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
15. Geto Boys - The Resurrection
16. Wyclef Jean - The Carnival
17. Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
18. Scarface - Mr. Scarface Is Back
19. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
20. Nas - Stillmatic
21. Outkast - Aquemini
22. Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
23. Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill
24. DJ Quik - Way 2 Fonky
25. Dizzee Rascal - Boys In Da Corner

if anyone wants i can type up commentary for any of the other 25 wen i have time

The Predator

thought it was pretty tite. in the newest rolling stones, he lists his top 25 greatest rap albums ever, here is the side commentary for "straight outta compton"

"N.W.A is the most influential act of the last thirty years - bigger than Nirvana, Madonna, or the Sex Pistols. Nothing has been the same since they came. I remember I was in LA when I was a kid, and I brought 'Straight Outta Compton' back to New York. More people were coming over to my house to listen to N.W.A than were going across the street to the crack house. I had the real shit. It was kind of like the British Invasion for black people."

1. N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton
2. Snoop Dogg Dogg - Doggystyle
3. 2Pac - Rap Phenomenon II
4. Run-DMC - Raising Hell
5. Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II
6. LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out
7. EPMD - Unfinished Business
8. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
9. A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
10. De La Soul - Buhloone Mindstate
11. The D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better
12. Eric B. And Rakim - Follow The Leader
13. Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords
14. Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
15. Geto Boys - The Resurrection
16. Wyclef Jean - The Carnival
17. Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
18. Scarface - Mr. Scarface Is Back
19. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
20. Nas - Stillmatic
21. Outkast - Aquemini
22. Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
23. Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill
24. DJ Quik - Way 2 Fonky
25. Dizzee Rascal - Boys In Da Corner

if anyone wants i can type up commentary for any of the other 25 wen i have time

Yew type it up homie. It's appreciated.

''More people were coming over to my house to listen to N.W.A than were going across the street to the crack house. I had the real shit''

haha classic Chris rock

We Fly High

yeah some of that list is coo, some of it is pretty iffy. hahah the rap phenomenon mixtape in the 25 best hip hop albums??
good to see he got quik up in there. he had to love the scoring on his own movie head of state hahah.

Sikotic™

I like his taste in music. He knows what's up.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Eihtball

I'm a little confused about his choice of "Rap Phenomenon II" instead of Pac's other albums (I would've put "Me Against The World" on there), but otherwise, he's got good taste.  DJ Quik and Pharcyde are both on there...he's definitely a man of my own heart.

Trauma-san

He might be right about them being the most influential of the past 30 years.  He said more so than Nirvana, I don't know about that but it could go one way or the other.  Most rap since NWA has the NWA stamp on it.  Even hiphop and things and r&b have the hardcore style NWA brought on it. 

Of course all modern rock is basically a ripoff of Nirvana... but modern hiphop is doing much better than modern rock. 

Lo Flya

• 'G'
Im glad he put D.O.C's album in his top 25. That album was tight

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
i will never understand why people continue to insist that "straight outta compton" is better than "efil4zaggin".

please people.  listen to them both right now.  come back in 3 hours, tell me which one sounds better.  who the hell would actually listen to "express yourself" if it was released tomorrow?  "straight outta compton" sounds dated.  efil4zaggin sounds good today.  efil4zaggin has more excellent songs.  a more consistent level of quality throughout. 
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
Chris seems to know good music.
But putting Stillmatic instead of Illmatic :-\

Tha Crip

niggaz4life was definately better then straight outta compton, just imagine if Cube was on it  :o
"I F**k Wit Feds Magazine"

The Predator

Efil4Zaggin is one of the best albums ever. The whole shit was amazingly advanced even for today and the gangsta vibe played on a cinamatic level.

For people like Chris Rock, Straight outta compton was groundbreaking and changed a lot of shit and the impact was huge. He was bumping it like a lot of cats at THE TIME. Shit had never been seen or heard before.

Straight outta compton ,fuck the police ,gangsta gangsta, dope man..shit is classic.

o g s u e s o n e

• Muthafuckin' Don!
where is the chronic and 2001?

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape

exactly what i picked up on.. do'ya think he just doesnt like dre? cos how can you have the top 25 rap albums and not list either "Chronic" or "2001"?

o g s u e s o n e

• Muthafuckin' Don!

exactly what i picked up on.. do'ya think he just doesnt like dre? cos how can you have the top 25 rap albums and not list either "Chronic" or "2001"?

yea i mean he has doggystyle on #2 but the chronic is not even in his top 25. cant understand that.
dre is all over that album production wise, same wit straight outta compton. dont think he dislike dre.

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
I'm a little confused about his choice of "Rap Phenomenon II" instead of Pac's other albums (I would've put "Me Against The World" on there), but otherwise, he's got good taste.  DJ Quik and Pharcyde are both on there...he's definitely a man of my own heart.

exactly what i thought when i saw that sitting pretty at #3  :o
NO MORE WAR