Author Topic: Chris Rock says N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton is the best rap album of all-time  (Read 768 times)

Kaligula

• Muthafuckin' OG
i will never understand why people continue to insist that "straight outta compton" is better than "efil4zaggin".

please people.  listen to them both right now.  come back in 3 hours, tell me which one sounds better.  who the hell would actually listen to "express yourself" if it was released tomorrow?  "straight outta compton" sounds dated.  efil4zaggin sounds good today.  efil4zaggin has more excellent songs.  a more consistent level of quality throughout. 

The difference has to do in the influence the albums had on culture. Efil4zaggin IS technically a better album, but Straight Outta Compton is a classic because no had really done anything like it before. Efil4zaggin was building off of the template they had created from the first album.

And plus, let's not forget, it had Cube, lol.

The Chronic SHOULD be on this list, tho.

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
nigga most mos def knows his shit
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Eihtball

i will never understand why people continue to insist that "straight outta compton" is better than "efil4zaggin".

please people.  listen to them both right now.  come back in 3 hours, tell me which one sounds better.  who the hell would actually listen to "express yourself" if it was released tomorrow?  "straight outta compton" sounds dated.  efil4zaggin sounds good today.  efil4zaggin has more excellent songs.  a more consistent level of quality throughout. 

I think it's a matter of "you had to be there."  When "Straight Outta Compton" came out (I was about 12 then), it was like nothing I had ever heard before.  Yeah, the production was a bit raw, but that was part of the effect; it felt like what you were hearing really was coming from straight outta the dark Compton alleys, and it was more powerful that way.  "Niggaz4Life" was far better-produced (in fact, I dare say it's one of Dre's best production jobs ever), but lyrically, it brought none of the excitement.  Frankly, I think it proves why Ice Cube was the lyrical focus of the group all along - Eazy, Ren, and Dre were decent, but Cube brought all of the energy, all of the anger, all of the character to the group.

You know how I know "Straight Outta Compton" is a better album?  Because I can recite most of the songs (including the first three) off the top of my head - Cube's lyrics were THAT memorable.  I can't recite a single song from "Niggaz4Life", because none of them were all that memorable.  So try as I might, it's impossible for me not to think of "Straight Outta Compton" as a better album - I simply can't forget the effect it had on me listening to it for the first time.  An effect that "Niggaz4Life" never had.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 09:53:20 AM by Eihtball »

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
yeah what stuck out to me was no dre album and stillmatic before illmatic, although i do think that stillmatic is a classic just like stillmatic.
Cube was the voice behind N.W.A.. the cat is a living liegend

ToOoOoN!!!

Dizzee Rascal - Boys In Da Corner is a fucking dope cd

KURUPTION-81

Dizzee Rascal - Boys In Da Corner is a fucking dope cd

true, shocked there is no dre but other than that impressed.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

cStyle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
thought it was pretty tite. in the newest rolling stones, he lists his top 25 greatest rap albums ever, here is the side commentary for "straight outta compton"

"N.W.A is the most influential act of the last thirty years - bigger than Nirvana, Madonna, or the Sex Pistols. Nothing has been the same since they came. I remember I was in LA when I was a kid, and I brought 'Straight Outta Compton' back to New York. More people were coming over to my house to listen to N.W.A than were going across the street to the crack house. I had the real shit. It was kind of like the British Invasion for black people."

1. N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton
2. Snoop Dogg Dogg - Doggystyle
3. 2Pac - Rap Phenomenon II
4. Run-DMC - Raising Hell
5. Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II
6. LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out
7. EPMD - Unfinished Business
8. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
9. A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
10. De La Soul - Buhloone Mindstate
11. The D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better
12. Eric B. And Rakim - Follow The Leader
13. Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords
14. Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
15. Geto Boys - The Resurrection
16. Wyclef Jean - The Carnival
17. Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
18. Scarface - Mr. Scarface Is Back
19. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
20. Nas - Stillmatic
21. Outkast - Aquemini
22. Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
23. Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill
24. DJ Quik - Way 2 Fonky
25. Dizzee Rascal - Boys In Da Corner

if anyone wants i can type up commentary for any of the other 25 wen i have time

i guess he never listened to Dres Chronic huh?!  ??? :D

OP

• Lil Geezy
He's got the wrong Nas album on there.

smp4life

elif4zaggin did have 2 songs featuring Eazy E singing. Those were horrid. However, I think it has more replay value than Straight Outta Compton.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Am I shocked that The Chronic is not on there?  Not really, when I see a 2Pac mixtape at number three and no mention of Illmatic or Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) I think it's safe to say he doesn't know what he's talking about.

This looks like a list of his 25 favourite CDs. 

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I read this in the latest Rolling Stone. I agree with Knuckles, it just looks like a list of his favorites.

rik

His top five are West Coast albums and he's from New York tight.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!

What part of the West Coast is Run-D.M.C. from?

rik

What part of the West Coast is Run-D.M.C. from?
oops didnt see that one. well his top 3 are.

thatboi

• 'G'
It's up there but best IONO what to say bout that.
looking for mc's for The Resistance group svh398@hotmail.com get at me.