Author Topic: dodgerblues.com ..... on signing of Rafael Furcal  (Read 160 times)

WestCoasta

dodgerblues.com ..... on signing of Rafael Furcal
« on: December 07, 2005, 04:13:46 PM »
www.dodgerblues.com

Occasionally drunk, but a good ballplayer

Aside from the fact that Dodgers already have a shortstop, the surprising signing of Rafael Furcal is—dare we say—a pretty good move.

While $39 million is a crapload to pay a shortstop who doesn't hit home runs, Furcal fills a hole the Dodgers have had since Dave Roberts was traded—that of leadoff man.

He also fills a hole the Dodgers have had since Raul Mondesi was traded—that of drunk driver.  :laugh:

Furcal has been arrested twice for drunk driving, but we've got to admit that his arrests to stolen base ratio (of 1 to 95) is pretty impressive.
It's clear, however, that Furcal's troubles with alcohol aren't over.
How else would you explain his decision to sign with the Dodgers over the Cubs or Braves?
Frank McCourt took Furcal out to dinner Friday night and obviously got the dude sauced. Some food, some drinks, some lies about what the team's direction is... and boom, he's a Dodger. ;)
Just wait until the poor guy sobers up.

In addition to giving the Dodger offense a boost, the signing of Furcal is big for Ned Colletti.
When the Dodgers' pursuit of Brian Giles failed last week, Colletti quickly turned his attention to Furcal, who seemed a sure bet to end up in Chicago.
The fact that Colletti was able to steal a guy away from two teams with better prospects of winning definitely says something.
Maybe it says that he's aggressive. Maybe it says that he gets respect.
Or, more likely, it says that he overpaid.
Regardless, it restores a little bit of the organization's clout—at least momentarily.
Sadly, they had to break the bank to do it. Now, more importantly, who's going to break the news to Oscar Robles that he's playing in Mexico next season?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: dodgerblues.com ..... on signing of Rafael Furcal
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 04:26:24 PM »
yeah dining Furcal "influenced" his decision...not the 13 mill a year he's getting lol

WestCoasta

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 04:44:56 PM »

the guy who runs that website is pretty funny

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 04:54:40 PM »
Check this out man...this is why we shouldnt get Soriano if they plan to put him in 2B and mvoe Kent to first...

Alfonso Soriano

637ABs
268BA
309OBP
512SLG
.812OPS( HITTERS PARADISE!)
36 Home Runs
104 RBI's

Hee Seop Choi/Olmedo Saenz Splits as 1B
483 ABs
267BA
340OBP
507SLG
.847OPS (HALF GAMES AT DODGER STADIUM!)
27 HR's
87 RBI's

There is a 154 AB difference up there.

How is Soriano better than Choi/Saenz?

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 05:04:18 PM »
Check this out man...this is why we shouldnt get Soriano if they plan to put him in 2B and mvoe Kent to first...

Alfonso Soriano

637ABs
268BA
309OBP
512SLG
.812OPS( HITTERS PARADISE!)
36 Home Runs
104 RBI's

Hee Seop Choi/Olmedo Saenz Splits as 1B
483 ABs
267BA
340OBP
507SLG
.847OPS (HALF GAMES AT DODGER STADIUM!)
27 HR's
87 RBI's

There is a 154 AB difference up there.

How is Soriano better than Choi/Saenz?
Stolen Bases
Soriano - 30

Choi/ Saenz - 1

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 05:05:31 PM »
29 Stolen Bases do not make up for that significant decrease lol

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 05:08:31 PM »
The Dodgers lacked good base running last year. Before last year the Dogers had great base running and were winners unlike last year. Look at the Chicago, Florida, and Boston. They had good/ great base running and won the world series.

WestCoasta

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 05:09:53 PM »
at least a positive we get out of Furcal is that he can steal bases and is a "leadoff hitter"

he also has a little power, and he's good defensively.... I'm just real concerned about what they're gonna do with Izturis

I'm sure he'd do fine and all at 2B, but regardless of worrying about his arm, it still seems like a huge waste of SS talent..... there's no way Furcal is better than Izturis defensively

and they need to give him a fuckin chance at SS again when he comes back.... you can't just kick the Gold Glover who has potential to get better at it aside because you're "worried about his arm"

if some shit with his arm is gonna happen it's gonna happen, no need being a pussy about it.... but we don't know what they're gonna do.... I just hope they don't handle this like weenies

cuz that shit is disrespectful if they don't give him a shot at SS again..... he'll just play out the other year of the contract and go to another team and become the next Vizquel.....
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 05:13:55 PM by We$t Coa$t »

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 05:14:31 PM »
The Dodgers lacked good base running last year. Before last year the Dogers had great base running and were winners unlike last year. Look at the Chicago, Florida, and Boston. They had good/ great base running and won the world series.

29 Stolen Bases do not make up for that significant decrease. 

It would be a slap to the face to us dodger fans if Soriano gets gets playing time over Choi/Saenz.  We are making a downgrade if that happens. I want to win, nto fucking blow our team up for downgrades

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 05:24:08 PM »
Im a Yankees fan so im the first to say..Soriano is a wicked player..but he can't do shit in the playoffs lol
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 08:16:53 PM »
Alfonso Soriano-2005 Season-OBP-.309

Hows he supposed to steal bases if he isnt on base?

Izturis had a .257 avg last year and a .302 OBP also, veeeery similar numbers to Soriano. And Izturis is good for about 13-16 SBs a year. So why even give up anything to get the same production at the top of the order?

Soriano is a swing for the fences type of guy, he k's a lot. Not the type of player you want i nthe #2 spot in the order.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 08:24:11 PM by I Am The Anton »

I need some meaning I can memorize
The kind I have always seems to slip my mind

WestCoasta

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 08:18:18 PM »
^^^ your sig is still makin me laugh.... especially the Jalen Rose and the one with the mascot biting the girls head

Macaframa

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 08:19:47 PM »
Let talk bout the blue jays and wat they have done in the free agent market  8) B.j and A.j so far hopefully they make some mroe moves

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 08:25:45 PM »
Let talk bout the blue jays and wat they have done in the free agent market  8) B.j and A.j so far hopefully they make some mroe moves

Don't get too excited about AJ. My bedroom window is more durable than he is.

I need some meaning I can memorize
The kind I have always seems to slip my mind