Author Topic: Trauma's Old School artist of the week, Volume 2 (12/12/05)  (Read 208 times)

Trauma-san

Trauma's Old School artist of the week, Volume 2 (12/12/05)
« on: December 12, 2005, 05:58:21 AM »
Alright, here's this week's old school musician of the week.  Remember the rules

1.  I know some of you have heard of this guy before, I'm just posting the first topic about them on THIS board.
2.  Reply if you want, good or bad doesn't matter

Anyways, this week's old school artist of the week is......

Jerry Butler.

Jerry Butler helped found the Impressions in the mid 50's along with Curtis Mayfield.  In the mid 40's, you had barbershop quartets, many of which were white (well, most of which were white)... but out of that, in the 50's grew urban harmony groups, people like the Impressions used to stand around on the street corners in the neighborhoods they grew up in, and learn to harmonize complicated 3 and 4 part songs. 

This guy was so fuckin' slick, his nickname is "The Iceman".  One of his albums was called "The Iceman", on was called "The Iceman Cometh", and one was called "Ice on Ice" LOL.

Everyone's heard of Curtis Mayfield, but Jerry Butler was 3 years older than him, singing in the same Church Choir in Chicago as a kid.  They eventually became "Jerry Butler & The Impressions".  You have HEARD this guy, even if you don't recognize his name. 

When Jerry was 16, he wrote the legendary ballad "Your Precious Love"... and sang it in 1958 with the Impressions, getting them their first huge hit.  Curtis Mayfield sang backup on that original song, and it's considered one of the greatest doo wop songs ever recorded. 

Jerry Butler left the group when he was around 18, and started his own Solo Career.  He stayed very close with his childhood friend Curtis, and Curtis and Jerry co-wrote one of Jerry's first big hits, "He Will Break Your Heart".  #1 hit for 7 weeks.  Jerry's big draw was that he sings with a slowwww sound which got him his nickname.  Even if the song is fast he sings slow.  It's incredible. 

Other hits through the years were "Western Union Man", "Only the Strong Survive", and "Never Gonna Give You Up".  He recorded a classic cover of the Everly Brother's "Let It Be Me" with Betty Everett.  Also did an awesome song called "What's the Use In Breakin' Up".  Lots of hits, his voice is smooth as hell. 

The most significant thing you probably know him for, is he used to help Curtis Mayfield out in the studio vocally.  He had left the impressions, but actually sings on some of their later songs as a favor for Curtis, who would tour and lead Butler's band.  If you've ever heard "People Get Ready", Jerry Butler is the low deep beautiful voice that answers Curtis all through the song. 

Curtis - "Who Would Hurt ALLLL mankind...."

Jerry - "Just to saveeee his own!"

Curtis - "Believe me now!"

Download "What's The use In Breakin' Up" to check this guy out.  Awesome artist.  Jerry is still alive and well in Chicago, and is now a city commissioner there. 

Week 1 : Merle Haggard
Week 2 : Jerry Butler

hempside

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Trauma's Old School artist of the week, Volume 2 (12/12/05)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 06:50:03 AM »
you on point with this shit homie....most.......alot!of these cats are to young to remember peeps like this.respect!and keep doing your thang myane.I have his 1stlp.at the crib.need to get it on cd.thanks alot.
heyheyhey smoke weed everyday.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 07:13:38 AM »
I know a bit about the Impressions but I don't know much about this guy. Thanks.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 07:47:11 AM »
Nice Info. Propz.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

ecrazy

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 01:31:03 PM »
U Watch PBS too! He was on LAST NIGHT ON KDOC!
Yup Yup

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 01:47:13 PM »
I love the duet version of Let It Be Me, although the Elvis version was always my favourite.

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 03:22:29 PM »
U Watch PBS too! He was on LAST NIGHT ON KDOC!
Yup Yup

Was he?  Yeah, I've seen all of the PBS shows.  Great shows!

SlickPants

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 11:55:50 PM »
dope thread

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 12:19:39 PM »
i def wana peep this guy,