Author Topic: Laron Profit AKA Kobe .02 is out for the season...  (Read 196 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Laron Profit AKA Kobe .02 is out for the season...
« on: December 21, 2005, 12:43:22 PM »
Profit Looks to Be Sidelined for the Season
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

Laker guard-forward Laron Profit, who left in the fourth quarter of Tuesday's game against the Dallas Mavericks, has been preliminarily diagnosed with a ruptured left Achilles' tendon and probably will be out for the season.

Profit, averaging four points and 1.7 rebounds before Tuesday, will undergo further tests today.

"If it is ruptured, he'll have surgery as soon as possible and it will probably end his season," Laker spokesman John Black said.

Profit was acquired from the Washington Wizards as part of the Kwame Brown trade. His best game this season was a 14-point effort last month against the Toronto Raptors.

Horrible news...Profit was a very serviceable reserve and Kobes most trusted back-up. He wasn't a huge difference maker, but his will to play a good game was the pimrary reason Phil had confidence to start him in 4th quarters instead of Kobe...Now, it looks as if a roster cut wont be necessarry when Ronny Turiaf returns...Hopefully Profit heals come playoff time... :-\

acbaylove

Re: Laron Profit AKA Kobe .02 is out for the season...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 02:16:42 PM »
First Turiaf, then Profit. The two biggest steals of Mitch after Smush are gone for the season. Fucked up.

Addicted To Cake

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Whos Next?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 03:37:55 PM »
sucks to see laron go down. hes one of the lakers bets bench players next to luke. devin green is certified trash. they need to find another kobe replacement.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 06:35:10 PM »
First Turiaf, then Profit. The two biggest steals of Mitch after Smush are gone for the season. Fucked up.

Turiaf is most likely returning this season...This opens up that roster spot for us, we don't need to waive Green or Wafer (our guard prospects). This is what the roster should look like going into the playoffs...

Starting 5:
PG Smush Parker
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Lamar Odom
PF Kwame Brown     
C Chris Mihm

Second Unit:
PG Aaron McKie
SG Devin Green
SF Devean George
PF Brian Cook
C Andrew Bynum

Third Unit:
PG Sasha Vujacic
SG Von Wafer
SF Luke Walton
PF Ronny Turiaf
C Slava Medvadenko

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 07:48:04 PM »
How does that open a roster spot?

We have 12 active slots and 3 inactive slots. Laron Profit will still occupy an inactive slot. In order for Turiaf to become a Laker, the Lakers would have to waive Profit (or Green or Slava).

Bye bye Slava...
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 08:59:58 PM »

We have 12 active slots and 3 inactive slots. Laron Profit will still occupy an inactive slot. In order for Turiaf to become a Laker, the Lakers would have to waive Profit (or Green or Slava).

Bye bye Slava...

LMAO...You completely missed the point. Now that Laron Profit is out for the SEASON, we can cut him without losing a valuable roster spot, seeing as he becomes a free agent after this season anyways...Hell, maybe we can resign him at the end of the season when he recovers. Until then, it's bye-bye Profit...Slava is still under contract, it would be better to just wait until his contract is up...Now that we can waive Profit without a loss, there's an open spot for Turiaf...And the roster evens out PERFECTLY. There's 3 players at every position

PG Smush Parker/Aaron McKie/Sasha Vuvajic
SG Kobe Bryant/Devin Green/Von Wafer
SF Lamar Odom/Devean George/Luke Walton
PF Kwame Brown/Brian Cook/Ronny Turiaf
C Chris Mihm/Andrew Bynum/Slava Medvadenko

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 09:07:07 PM »

Bye bye Slava...

LMAO...You completely missed the point.

Not at all...an injury does not create an open roster spot. That's what your post implied. The Lakers could buy out his contract to create room for Turiaf.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 09:11:13 PM »

Bye bye Slava...

LMAO...You completely missed the point.

The Lakers could buy out his contract to create room for Turiaf.

Which is what they are going to do and what I thought was obvious I was REALLY implying.

acbaylove

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 05:30:23 AM »
Wassup with Turiaf anyway?

acbaylove

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 06:28:14 AM »
Why :-\ ?

I'm hella happy he's back in action. He needs time to back in NBA form, i just hope Lakers will give him a chance. He was the shit in Gonzaga.

wcsoldier

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 07:28:46 AM »
Why :-\ ?

I'm hella happy he's back in action. He needs time to back in NBA form, i just hope Lakers will give him a chance. He was the shit in Gonzaga.
I thought he could be back around March - April. Though I haven't in mind for a second he recovered from a heart pb .

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 10:46:09 AM »
Former Gonzaga Star Signs With CBA Team
By SHANNON DININNY, Associated Press Writer

YAKIMA, Wash. -- Former Gonzaga star Ronny Turiaf, who had open-heart surgery just over six months ago, signed a contract Wednesday to play for the Yakama Sun Kings as part of his rehabilitation.

Turiaf brings new status to the Continental Basketball Association team, whose fans tracked his stellar career at Gonzaga, just three hours east in Spokane.

"From a selfish standpoint, for me, he's a great basketball player. But for the franchise, and for everything Ronny has done in this state, it's the biggest one we've ever had," coach Paul Woolpert said of the signing. "And he hasn't even stepped on the floor yet."

Turiaf, a 6-foot-9 forward, was chosen by the Los Angeles Lakers with the 35th pick in June's NBA draft. During a subsequent physical, doctors detected a heart problem, and Turiaf underwent surgery July 26 to repair an enlarged aortic root.

The Lakers voided the contract but retained the rights to Turiaf for three years. He has no timetable for joining the NBA team.

"I'm not physically healthy enough to endure practice and training for an NBA schedule," Turiaf said at a Wednesday news conference. "I'm using Yakama as training. As long as I'm here, I will work hard and I will try to make this team better."

Turiaf, who worked out with the Sun Kings for the first time Wednesday, said he got "a little winded" but otherwise felt good. He said he will be working to get back to NBA form, but for now, "I'm a Sun King."

Details of the contract were not disclosed.

Turiaf's first court action likely will come Monday, when Yakama plays the Idaho Stampede in Boise. His first home game with the team will be the following night.

Asked how he was felt about finally getting back to the game, Turiaf said, "Nervous, no. Excited, yes.

"I've been waiting for this so long," he said. "Just give me a jersey and a pair of shoes and I'm ready to go."

The Sun Kings drafted Turiaf with the fifth pick in September's CBA draft, after his surgery. Woolpert, who saw Turiaf play at a draft camp last spring, was well aware his stint as a Sun King could be temporary, if it happened at all.

He's just getting himself back into shape. He needs to play some more organized games before he makes his way into the NBA...Give him 2-3 months with the Sun Kings. He'll be signed with the Lakers based on how he performs. If he has rehabilitated himself to 95%+, it's safe to say that we'll see him back in action this year...If he's not ready, he'll be with us beginning next training camp...The process is going by quickly, remember, he wasn't even supposed to play ball this season, let alone LIVE with his condition...All the best luck goes out to Turiaf and I'm hoping for a speedy recovery... :)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 02:54:57 PM »
Laker Team Doctors Give Turiaf the OK to Play
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

Forward Ronny Turiaf, who underwent open-heart surgery five months ago, passed his physical and was cleared to play by team doctors Monday.

Turiaf, a second-round draft pick from Gonzaga, is still at least two weeks away from joining the team, a Laker spokesman said, and would have to improve his conditioning and learn the triangle offense before officially coming on board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Money wouldn't be a problem — Turiaf would gladly accept the minimum NBA salary of $399,000, which would then be prorated for time played — but Coach Phil Jackson has the ultimate say on when and if Turiaf returns.

"Conditioning and skill level are to be determined now," Laker spokesman John Black said Monday. "Then it becomes a decision for Phil to make whether or not he'd be a benefit to the team on the roster."

The Lakers would have to reduce their roster via trade or by waiving a player, either Devin Green or Von Wafer most likely Laron Profit who is out for the season. Turiaf, who turns 23 next month, can't practice with the team unless he is under contract.

Currently a graduate assistant coach with Gonzaga, Turiaf has scrimmaged with the nationally ranked Bulldogs several times in the last two months.

He underwent surgery to repair an enlarged aortic root in July, a month after being selected No. 37 in the draft.

I'd like to see him back not too long after the all-star break...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 04:18:23 PM »