Author Topic: Saigon dissing the south  (Read 329 times)

KURUPTION-81

Saigon dissing the south
« on: January 08, 2006, 10:24:18 AM »
http://www.wordofsouth.com/columns/goyj/v3.htm

East coast artist Saigon who just dropped a Mixtape with DJ Drama titled “Welcome To Saigon” was caught running his mouth about the south. Last summer, Saigon conducted an interview with Blackelectorate.com and he had this to say about the south.

Cedric Muhammad: Now, another area where I have liked what you have had to say is the current environment and this whole dynamic where the South rapper is ‘in’ now, and I was laughing when I heard you say, ‘It is hard for a New York rapper now to make it (now)...' (laughter)

Saigon: Yeah. What? (laughter). That is why all of these dudes now, feel like they have to go down there and collaborate with a Down South artist and make these songs that sound country-driven. Yeah, it is real hard. I feel like – not to dis the South, because my family is from the South and my mother is from the South - but I feel like, they have kind of dumbed the Hip-Hop down so much, that it is like anybody can grasp it now, and it is more accessible and entertaining to everyone, and anyone can catch on to it now. They were always considered slower than us. The Down South mo’ f-----s was always considered slow. Like up here in New York, we were always considered more advanced than Down South people. Now it is like the tail wagging the dog. Now, it is like the slow people are leading the advanced. The slow mo’ f-----rs is like in control of shit because the majority rules. And there is more slow people, so now that is what is in effect. So now the people who like to hear insight and introspective lyrics and like to grow and learn – you can’t learn from a Down South record. There are a few groups like David Banner and Outkast (that you can learn from). It’s a few of them.

He also said on a freestyle over Trina’s “B B Right” produced by Kanye West and said

“I don't be rapping over no down south aw man down south shit, I don't be rapping over no Ludacris type shit man I'm gangsta”

"Everybody else dickridin' down south niggas, I ain't gonna jump on that shit"
Here is the clip.

Now none of this adds up. If you're doing a mixtape with the hottest DJ out right now who resides in Atlanta, what do you call that? According to what Saigon has said that is what is called dickriding. Why would he straight up hate on south music just because he dropped 200 mixtapes and no one outside of east coast was paying attention to him? He has been sitting on Atlantic for about a year still dropping mixtapes while the south continues to be hot. I guess he got tired of doing the whole setup, punch line, simile track so he comes down south to be noticed. What makes Saigon more advanced then a southern artist?

“So now the people who like to hear insight and introspective lyrics and like to grow and learn – you can’t learn from a Down South record.” - Saigon

Now I can agree with Saigon regarding what he said above, but when you make tracks like “Let A Nigga Know” and “Break U Down” where does your credibility come from to say a comment like that. I am guessing that being more advance then southern people did not make him realize that he is a hypocrite.

Now if we happen to interview Saigon he will most likely say his comments were taken out of context and say he got love for southern people. Whatever he says is not going to change what was said and with that said he needs to GET ON HIS JOB!

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

ABN

Re: Saigon dissing the south
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 10:59:47 AM »
Saigon always got other peeps dicks in his mouth so this shouldn´t surprise anyone. he spends more time talking shit about other rappers then 50,Game & Yayo combined a lá Spider Joke style.

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 11:02:44 AM »
he was just talkin about the majority and it's the truth, compared to the east the south got very few records with deeper content, production is rather simple too. the east is doubtlessly more advanced than the south.

All he did is generalize but he didn't fail to mention that he's not talkin about everybody so I don't see what's wrong with what he said.

also, how does doin tracks like let a nigga know contradict with his comments.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 11:07:14 AM »
I didnt know we are suppose to learn from music  ::) .  His real complaint should be directed at mainstream any coast hip hop.  If every rapper was a Common type rapper, than hip hop would be fucking boring.  So people need get over this complaint, the more voices that are heard the better quality you will end up getting. 

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 11:17:05 AM »
I didnt know we are suppose to learn from music  ::)

yeah that's the one thing he got wrong, acting like only the slow people like mostly music without content. If it sounds dope you'll bump it.

ABN

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 11:17:22 AM »
he was just talkin about the majority and it's the truth, compared to the east the south got very few records with deeper content, production is rather simple too. the east is doubtlessly more advanced than the south.

All he did is generalize but he didn't fail to mention that he's not talkin about everybody so I don't see what's wrong with what he said.

also, how does doin tracks like let a nigga know contradict with his comments.
Sai does contradict himself more then most rappers(not really with that comment), he and Nas says 1 thing then does another. how gonna get at other rappers for talkin about negative shit then do it yourself? he´s entitled to his opinion but that doesn´t mean that there´s not several southern rappers who could outrap Sai easily. and he´s gonna be a problem for JB coz if he keeps on talkin Just aint gonna have anyone to sell beats to in the future.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 11:44:17 AM »
He's not dissing the south, he's just sick of these rappers from the east & west collaborating wit the south cause that whats hot right now.I mean is it just me or were none of these south rappers featured on east & west rappers songs before they blew up???Now every rapper's first single is produced by Lil Jon, you've got Busta Rhymes doing a mix-tape wit just south beats, c'mon even Ras is spittin over those beats.As for that learning shit, I guess he's saying that none of those rappers made a song wit a positive message & B R Right Freestyle???He's basically saying he's not gonna dickride a coast just cause they're popular, that cant be hard to understand.Tru-life said east coast rappers shouldnt be rapping on crunk beats, is he dissing the south ::) & lol at people who think Saigon contradicts himself when he makes songs like NY Streets, Jailhouse Rap etc. He's been through all of this, how is that contradicting???

wcsoldier

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 11:50:14 AM »
80% of the south is wack ; Lil John, Ying Yang Twinz, Mike Jones, D4L (got my vote for the lamest song ever in hip hop history yeah ahead Just Lose it )... Pitbull. Propz to the OG like Outkast, Face or UGK but seriously I wonder why we call this shit "hip-hop".

ABN

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 11:58:21 AM »
He's not dissing the south, he's just sick of these rappers from the east & west collaborating wit the south cause that whats hot right now.I mean is it just me or were none of these south rappers featured on east & west rappers songs before they blew up???Now every rapper's first single is produced by Lil Jon, you've got Busta Rhymes doing a mix-tape wit just south beats, c'mon even Ras is spittin over those beats.As for that learning shit, I guess he's saying that none of those rappers made a song wit a positive message & B R Right Freestyle???He's basically saying he's not gonna dickride a coast just cause they're popular, that cant be hard to understand.Tru-life said east coast rappers shouldnt be rapping on crunk beats, is he dissing the south ::) & lol at people who think Saigon contradicts himself when he makes songs like NY Streets, Jailhouse Rap etc. He's been through all of this, how is that contradicting???
it is not condradicting for you to shit on other rappers for talkin about negative shit when you don´t know them or know what they´ve done when you´re also rapping about the same shit? and how does anyone know if Sai´s done all the shit he´s rapping about? he calls other rappers fake and shit but how the fuck does he know if they´ve done what they rap about? and don´t get all fired up sayin that 50 tells kids to pick up guns and say that it´s negative and then turn around and talk about guns and shooting people. now he´s a good rapper but he should just talk about himself and what he´s doin and clean up his own backyard before he gets on other peoples shit.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 12:23:28 PM »
there are three things hiphop fans tend to get wrong which are quite present in this thread:

1. The difference between "then" and "than"

2. the notion that just because something is wack, there´s some reason not to call it "hiphop" when it quite obviously is

3. the misconception that "deep" music you can "learn from" is in some mysterious way linked to "positivity" and that "positivity" is defined by delivering some kind of moralic message. Actually, you can learn from Big L when it comes to ebonics or creatively using language, you can learn about life on the streets from those far-from-positive QB reality rap records....Brotha Lynch Hung´s street and gang life tales have taught me more than Cee-Lo declaring the devil "be working thru them crackers", Razzy´s factually wrong history lessons or Nas´ super-corny "I Can".

Hence, if Saigon talks about learning from music (which is not an inherent quality of good shit, no), he doesn´t contradict himself just cause he´s done a bunch of street tracks. And in the south there are really quite a few artists you can learn very little from in any sense. I´m not completely agreeing with him, but a lot of simple shit from the south being pretty successful is not so untrue. Of course, New York being "far ahead" has to be put into relative terms since we´re 1. talking about the hiphop world which is not a bastion of avantgardism and 2. New York hiphop is not in its most innovative phase at the moment the way I see it.

Still, the gist of it is that collabos with southern artists who ain´t exactly geniuses is a hiphop fashion trend at the moment and I understand this is getting on Sai´s nerves

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 12:24:54 PM »
lol half of these people Saigon talks shit about are people he has met, he gives credit where its due.Example???He gave props to Young Jeezy but dissed Mobb Deep.Now if Saigon called Puffy, Chingy & them fake saying they aint no fucking gangstas would he be wrong???& no I dont see Saigon lying, if he's ready to admit that he isnt the hardest & there's plenty of dudes that would kick his ass, well that speaks for itself.As for him rapping about guns & so on, has anyone noticed he either raps about how he used to do it or how he'd do something bad but only when provoked???He never raps about still selling drugs & all that gibberish cause he'd be lying.But he has contradicted himself a bit, like he'd say G-Unit is cool, then diss them, then say they're cool & then diss them again & finally admit he's never dissed them lol.But yeah I feel like there's a few people he shoulnt have spoken on.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 12:29:11 PM by UKnowWhatItIs »

ABN

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 12:35:04 PM »
but the funniest shit ever gotta be that Sai gave Jeezy props ;D and he´s one of the most ignorant rappers out there and one of the worst/slowest lyricists from the south. hmm wonder if Jeezy´s connection with BMF stopped Saigon for speaking the "real" on Jeezy? like i said he´s a good rapper but just like most rappers he should just focus on himself........

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 12:41:17 PM »
but the funniest shit ever gotta be that Sai gave Jeezy props ;D and he´s one of the most ignorant rappers out there and one of the worst/slowest lyricists from the south. hmm wonder if Jeezy´s connection with BMF stopped Saigon for speaking the "real" on Jeezy? like i said he´s a good rapper but just like most rappers he should just focus on himself........
He wasnt talking about his rapping skills but his gangsta, he has met him & Jeezy is gonna be on Sai's DVD, now I dont think Jeezy is  gonna be on it cause of BMF.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 12:44:03 PM »
I kinda agree the south-hype is absolutely terrible Im not feelin those artists at all
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

ABN

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 12:47:13 PM »
He wasnt talking about his rapping skills but his gangsta, he has met him & Jeezy is gonna be on Sai's DVD, now I dont think Jeezy is  gonna be on it cause of BMF.
but in this interview he just called out southern rappers for bein slow and if he basically gonna say "fuck you" to a whole region then it shouldn´t be a problem for him to say fuck Jeezy for talking about killing and selling drugs to his own people. and that´s something that Saigon seems to hate and according to what Saigon himself says in various interviews and what not it should be impossible for him to be cool with Jeezy. and he talks bad about rappers for promoting gang violence and if you listen to Jeezy´s music you´ll hear crip references thru out that shit. basically Jeezy´s all the things Saigon says he hates about rap music.....