Author Topic: in my opinion biggest westcoast problem is not rappers, its producers  (Read 389 times)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
i mean c'mon y'all gotta admit, warren g is a low bugdet sounding washed up 2D producer......i mean he a legend, i got luv for warren, but he cant make hits no mo............sha money xl and jelly roll twice as good as he is now,lol....i mean they may never make a hit as big as warren did back in the day, but warren didnt evolve......now i aint sayin cats like sha money and jelly are sick or anything, but i was just thinking of 2 producers, who aint really known well but are up to date with their sounds..

eastcoast got nuff producers.....and they got the superproducer who produces for most ppl.........southcoast got nice some producers and they got the superproducer in lil jon to who producers for nuff cats, like he aint hard to get, as with the neptunes or kanye on the east...

but now westcoast got a supersuper producer in dr dre, who i mean done everything in the game, so he only produces for some cats, take twice as long, cuy he sound varies for each artist and it usually ends up huge.......but his real hard to get at.......even for his own stable...and then after dre who is their?.........fredwreck will make a couple of joints on a album, but he needs some real club bangers to get really started and he aint got that.....have a party is not all that.....and dj quik.......but is he gonna make u big hits...quik a guy u need to get on when u making a certain type of album or someone to make joints which are sick but may not always get released........so whos left? nobody.......daz aint shit, warren g aint shit.....jelly roll noone knows what gonna be next from him.......

everycoast got producers who are with the times and able to make real club hits or even simply hard beats which are sick, with the times..........but on the leftcoast, they either washed up or still tryna perfect dres 2001 style...shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

plus westcoast imo needs a neptunes, liljon, kanye type figure, whos mash out hits for joke and easy to access......someone whos new but sick

just my 2 cents

peace

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: in my opinion biggest westcoast problem is not rappers, its producers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 06:33:24 AM »
I completley agree,especially about Warren G.I think that this Neptunes,Kanye style producers are Dj Khalil and J.Wells.

italianguy

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 06:40:56 AM »
I agree ..... warren need to give somethin new. I still believe in daz: he gave us some great song as a producer but he should work in less project and keep the best things for a single project.

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 08:07:11 AM »
its not the producers... ITS THE RECORD LABELS

u want somebody to blow up , but the record labels are the machines behind everything they want the South to blow up its not the wests turn. there have been plenty of records out on the west that could've blown up, look at that sly boogie record its nuthin produced by scott storch, only play that got was on the west coast for example.

right now the south is in #1 spot , even daz said it himself its hard to get a record label to believe in you nowadays

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 08:11:24 AM »
Don't tell me Get You Down wasn't good production. Although I have to admit Warren's stuff lately isn't what it used to be, I still say he can bring it. Just not as consistently as he used to. In my personal opinion Daz isn't coming off as good today as Warren G is. And Daz got one major problem as I can see it: he's doing way too many projects at the same time. When you do it like he's doing it - producing what, ten tracks a day, without really perfecting them - you get a bunch of mediocre shit.

Quik - the only negative thing about Quik is the fact that rappers just don't get him to do production. He can deliver whatever flavour you want for your record and make some classic shit, but muthafuckas just don't get at him. I was positively pleased when Jigga got him for the Black Album. Seriously, sometimes I think industry fools are straight up dumb for not getting at DJ Quik.

Jelly Roll tight? Man, he ain't all that to me. He's made a couple cool tracks, but usually his stuff weirds me the fuck out. Like for example - the track he's got on the new Biggie album and the shit he had on D.O.C.'s "Deuce" album are the type of tracks I like. But his shit like "Saturday Night Live" just makes me push the skip button on my stereo. And Sha Money... Pfff... Mediocre at best.

I see what you're saying though, other areas seem to have more those "easy access, mash out hits" type of dudes as L_G put it. But at the same time I feel that dudes from the West aren't using all the production resources that's available to them. Soopafly, Battlecat, Fredwreck, Quik, Warren... There's actually quite a lot of quality dudes from the West that can produce you that bomb ass record. They just need to be holla'd at. I mean, somebody like Soopafly could probably bring a fresh breath of air to music right now, when the Neptunes and Scott Storch are on everybody's record. "Bangin' Westcoast" was something I'd like to hear on the charts now too, not the same ol' same ol' you got right now. Not that most of the A-list dudes are bad as such, I mean I enjoy Kanye's stuff and all, but you catch my drift, right?

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 08:19:17 AM »
That's why I had that thread a few months ago, askin if the West Coast needs to revolutionize it's sound.

I only know of a few LA producers who have a sound that could probably appeal to the nation, one is named Golden Eye and he is a bit known in LA but not much outside. Most producers in LA seem to sample a lot and try to sound like Kanye but with a lot less success, and some tend to have a sound that is too stereotypically west coast. As far as the Bay, a LOT of their music sounds like it could be straight from the south, especially from Tampa Bay. With them, if the record companies decided to push that, I am sure their sound would hit everybody. I think Rick Rock is the best overall producer on the west as far as makin commercial and club type of shit.

notorious^q8I

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • KUWAITI........
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 09:34:09 AM »
I completley agree,especially about Warren G.I think that this Neptunes,Kanye style producers are Dj Khalil and J.Wells.

CLASSIC.... west is BACK

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 09:44:26 AM »
The problem is rappers today grew up on rap and dont really have an ear for MUSIC, they have an ear and a mind for lyrics, but are lost when it comes to the actual music aspect of it. Couple that with the fact that damn near every body is some low budget rapper using off brand beats from their local bedroom fruity loop beat man because they either cant or wont pay for quality and there you have it. Seriously, how can Dre and Rick Rock be the only Cali producers capable of making hits? Cali is the most populated state in the country and you mean to tell me only 2 guys have any talent? I dont think so.

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 09:50:28 AM »
I disagree. Producers such as quik and battlecat have constantly been improving the west coast sound. We don't have a hit becuz of the labels. It's all about the labels...if we could get major labels...I believe we would have a hit in an instant. For an example quik's album Trauma...imagine if he was on a major label...I have little doubts he would have blown up. I think people are underestimatin the importance of havin major labels behind us. We been improvin our sound, been havin new rappers come out wit lyrical skills...it's just the MAJOR LABELS.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 10:03:24 AM »
^^exactly

Danté Williams

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Diggie Dee aka Tha Preacher
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 10:10:06 AM »
I don't listen to westcoast music for no gangbanging bullshit stories, I listen to westcoast music for the production. Period.

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 10:17:54 AM »
its not the producers... ITS THE RECORD LABELS

u want somebody to blow up , but the record labels are the machines behind everything they want the South to blow up its not the wests turn. there have been plenty of records out on the west that could've blown up, look at that sly boogie record its nuthin produced by scott storch, only play that got was on the west coast for example.

right now the south is in #1 spot , even daz said it himself its hard to get a record label to believe in you nowadays
I've got to agree abot sly,man.I haven't had the chance ti listen to his shit thouroughly,but its nuthin, thats my name (both Storch produced and storch has really outdone himself with those two if you ask me) and a couple of other tracks were very good.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 10:49:24 AM »
Terrace Martin Is on his way to the top, this dude is very talented, and he's a cool dude, You cant really describe his style though, because he's versatile, he can give u somethin a la "Battlecat" (LaToiya Williams' Happy) or something strictly for the clubs ( Tiffany Foxx Shake That Shit)

and its fact That The West Coast sounds Needs to change, because when people Think about the west, they think about the claps, they think about the hands in the air, they think about the whistle, in other words they think about The past, and Its also sad that they associate Gangbanging To West Coast music, because in my opinion west coast music aint only about that, U have people strugglin and they talk about real life situations, some real stuff that people can relate to.

SGV

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 10:53:23 AM »
Fans -> Emcees/Producers

The emcee's and Producers aren't changing up cuz the fans aren't changing up. Look at Dubcc, the moment something G-Funk comes about, people go nuts. Anything different is described as "Wack," "East Coast," or get's no attention. The South isn't making Bass Music no more and you don't see fans hanging on to that. You don't see the East Coast making Boom Bap, nor do you see their fans hanging on it. The West Coast fans need to mature and realize that G-Funk died years ago. It's not coming back.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 11:06:26 AM »
Its true though everytime someone is coming up with sumthin new the Fans are hating