Author Topic: New Bishop Lamont Interview: Talks Aftermath, His Album, DETOX & More!  (Read 1416 times)

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
Aftermathmusic.com:
So how are things going, Bishop?

Bishop Lamont:
Just work and more work, man. We finally started DETOX and just trying to make it one of the greatest albums ever. Plus we're working on my album, The Reformation.

Aftermathmusic.com:
Tell us a little about your childhood, and where you grew up.

Bishop Lamont:
I was born in Inglewood, moved to South Central, from there to Buena Park, Moreno valley then Compton, and finally Carson. Growing up I was just the regular fuck up, man… getting drunk, ditching school, free styling and just having fun, ha-ha.

Aftermathmusic.com:
So were times tough growing up in Carson, California?

Bishop Lamont:
It was no tougher than anywhere else in the world, you know? The usual things that a young man goes through.

Aftermathmusic.com:
Since the times of NWA and Ice Tee L.A. has become notorious for having real life “gang wars” as well as controversial music that narrates that lifestyle. Do these things still have a major impact in that part of California?

Bishop Lamont:
That’s going to go on forever, but it’s not the focal point of West Coast Hip Hop.

Aftermathmusic.com:
At what age did you start rapping?

Bishop Lamont:
Thirteen

Aftermathmusic.com:
Who were your biggest influences that helped you pursue Hip Hop music?

Bishop Lamont:
Ah man there’s too many! Too Short, Rakim, NWA, Stetsa-sonics, Poor Righteous Teachers, King-tee, X-Clan, Public Enemy, The roots, MC Lyte, Big Daddy Kane, MC Eiht, DJ Quik, Above The Law, The Dogg Pound, Warren G, Threat, D.O.C, Rass Kass, Artifacts, Redman, Boogie Monsters, Camp Low, Digable Planets, Gang Starr, Snoop, Kurupt, Rage, Nas, Biggie, Big L, The lost Boyz, Jay-z, Organized Konfusion, Krs-one, Das Efx, Special Ed, Black Moon, Smif-n-wessin, the whole boot camp click, Lords of the underground, The bush Ba-bees, The Pharcyde, The Alkaholiks, Kardinal official, Choclair, just the whole t-dot- o movement, Black milk, Ohno, Roc-c, Madlib, the whole o-x, Tahlib Kweli, Mos Def, Souls of mischief , Wu-tang, E-40, Jeru The Damaga, Tupac, Slum Village, Naughty By Nature, Treklife, Busta Rhymes, De La Soul, Kwame, Kmd, Epmd, Kam, Keith Murray, The Umc’s, Common, The Fugees, the Outsiderz, Queen Latifah, Lin-q, Bahamadia, Royce da 5’9, Digital underground, A Tribe Called Quest… you name it! Ha-ha

Aftermathmusic.com:
A few years ago you would have people say that the West coast Hip Hop scene was no longer in its prime. How do you respond to this type of statement?

Bishop Lamont:
From the outside looking in it would seem that way from a commercial point of view. But on the underground scene, there were so many cats taken Hip Hop music to another level, and still are.

Aftermathmusic.com:
There was a West coast peace summit held not too long ago that helped reunite The Dogg Pound and such. Do you feel that this summit will play a hopeful role in uniting the West coast?

Bishop Lamont:
It was great for MC’s who have a past history with each other to squash their beefs, but all the new cats don’t have any beef. We all know each other so we’re doing it like the South, feel me?

Aftermathmusic.com:
Your label-mate The Game is one of Hip Hop’s hottest new stars, and has released one of last year’s best albums: “The Documentary”. How do you feel about The Game’s recent role in putting the West back on the map?

Bishop Lamont:
Totally! It was very important bringing the mainstream attention back over here. Hate It or love it, you can’t deny what he did with his debut. In a sense, he was like the Trojan horse for us cats… opening doors for us cats.

Aftermathmusic.com:
You are now signed to Hip Hop's reigning label, Dr. Dre's Aftermath Entertainment. A label that includes stars like Eminem, Busta Rhymes, Eve, 50 Cent, The Game along with new comers Stat Quo and G.A.G.E. How does it feel to be a part of such a successful and strong family?

Bishop Lamont:
It’s a blessing, man! With so many legendary dudes, I’m like what can I do that hasn’t been done? How can I leave my mark?

You can read the rest of the interview where he talks about DETOX and more in the interview section @ www.aftermathmusic.com

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: New Bishop Lamont Interview: Talks Aftermath, His Album, DETOX & More!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 11:06:24 AM »

Aftermathmusic.com:
Who were your biggest influences that helped you pursue Hip Hop music?

Bishop Lamont:
Ah man there’s too many! Too Short, Rakim, NWA, Stetsa-sonics, Poor Righteous Teachers, King-tee, X-Clan, Public Enemy, The roots, MC Lyte, Big Daddy Kane, MC Eiht, DJ Quik, Above The Law, The Dogg Pound, Warren G, Threat, D.O.C, Rass Kass, Artifacts, Redman, Boogie Monsters, Camp Low, Digable Planets, Gang Starr, Snoop, Kurupt, Rage, Nas, Biggie, Big L, The lost Boyz, Jay-z, Organized Konfusion, Krs-one, Das Efx, Special Ed, Black Moon, Smif-n-wessin, the whole boot camp click, Lords of the underground, The bush Ba-bees, The Pharcyde, The Alkaholiks, Kardinal official, Choclair, just the whole t-dot- o movement, Black milk, Ohno, Roc-c, Madlib, the whole o-x, Tahlib Kweli, Mos Def, Souls of mischief , Wu-tang, E-40, Jeru The Damaga, Tupac, Slum Village, Naughty By Nature, Treklife, Busta Rhymes, De La Soul, Kwame, Kmd, Epmd, Kam, Keith Murray, The Umc’s, Common, The Fugees, the Outsiderz, Queen Latifah, Lin-q, Bahamadia, Royce da 5’9, Digital underground, A Tribe Called Quest… you name it! Ha-ha

Lol, he's crazy.He sounds like a cool dude.They just started working on Detox?That doesnt sound too good. :P

And big props to you Rebel!

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 11:13:01 AM »
props to him for saying T.dot!!!

T-Dub

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 11:17:54 AM »
props Rebel, that was a nice interview ;)

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 11:19:13 AM »
Bishop is a really cool dude, nice interview

Certified

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Still Waiting...
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 11:37:28 AM »
cool stuff to read

way2fonky4

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 11:41:46 AM »
thanks for the interview. this is my first post, and id like to sqay that this forum needs quik reply. its much easier

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 11:50:53 AM »
nice read...starting detox..hmm wonder if itll be put this year...it has to be, he drops albums every 7 years..lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 12:03:46 PM »
nice read...starting detox..hmm wonder if itll be put this year...it has to be, he drops albums every 7 years..lol

My thoughts exactly.

wcsoldier

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 12:04:27 PM »
It's official , wait another year for Detox  :'( , good read though I like Bishop, seems a humble dude. About his album, will be release probably in 2009  ::)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 12:06:39 PM by wcsoldier »

TuKer Says: Angeles Records is the truth!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 01:51:28 PM »
props for the interview rebel, and what he said about working on detox maybe its they started doing the vocals meaning they got the beats already maybe i dunno really lol

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 01:59:50 PM »
props for the interview rebel, and what he said about working on detox maybe its they started doing the vocals meaning they got the beats already maybe i dunno really lol
Yeah that's what I've been thinking. Cause you know only Dre works on the beats (primarly) and he gets everyone else to do the vocals/lyrics/writing etc.

Props Rebel, but why didn't you just post the entire interview?

Maniac Marxxx

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • London in this bitch!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 02:10:27 PM »
It's official , wait another year for Detox  :'( , good read though I like Bishop, seems a humble dude. About his album, will be release probably in 2009  ::)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 02:13:45 PM »
it has to be, he drops albums every 7 years.

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 02:22:46 PM »
dope interview....

tho this disappointed me a little:

Aftermathmusic.com:
Who are some of the artists you would really like to work with in the near future? There are many hungry fans who would love to see a Bishop Lamont & Eminem track.

Bishop Lamont:
Me too! Ha-ha… hopefully because I’ve always been a big fan of Em. Aside from Dre, Warren G. & Busta… I’d like to work with Jonathan from Korn. He’s a beast so we definitely going to get some shit done. Mike Shinoda, Chris Martin from ‘Cold Play’, Bilal, Andre 3000, A lot of new artists and producers like Jake one, RJ Rice from the slum, Lt Moe, Thayod, Karnov, Diverse from Carson, Chevy Jones, Mike Anthony, Bokey, Indef, Reality, Blaq-thoven, Jelly roll, Da Riffs, and my boy J wells, The White Stripes… man its so many cats… especially on the alternative side.

Korn?? cold play??? andre 3000 ???? :o