Author Topic: Szczerbiak, Ricky Davis change teams in seven-player trade  (Read 680 times)

BizzyR.I.P.

Szczerbiak, Ricky Davis change teams in seven-player trade
« on: January 26, 2006, 07:46:43 PM »
BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics acquired Wally Szczerbiak and Michael Olowokandi from the Minnesota Timberwolves on Thursday night in a multiplayer deal that sent Ricky Davis and three other players to Minnesota.

Davis, Mark Blount, Marcus Banks, Justin Reed and two conditional second-round draft picks are going to the slumping Timberwolves. The Celtics also get Dwayne Jones and a future first-round draft pick, Celtics spokesman Jeff Twiss said.

"We are ecstatic to acquire a player of Wally Szczerbiak's quality to complement Paul Pierce and our young talent base," Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge said in a statement.

"In Wally, we are receiving an All-Star player who is playoff tested and who has been a winner at all levels. We wish Ricky, Mark, Marcus, and Justin continued success in Minnesota."

The Boston Herald and TNT first reported the trade Thursday night.

Davis was the Celtics' second leading scorer at 19.7 behind Paul Pierce, while Szczerbiak is averaging 20.1 points for the Timberwolves.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2307791

$do11a biLL$

Re: Szczerbiak, Ricky Davis change teams in seven-player trade
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 07:49:24 PM »
IS THIS A FUCKING JOKE

I mean cmon now my team trades their second and third leading scorers for Wally and Olowokandi who basicaly  made the wolves worse this year. And they also get 2 second round picks  >:(
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:06:15 PM by Most Known Unknown Poster »

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 08:05:03 PM »
both teams win? ???
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 08:19:06 PM »
Boston's G.M Danny Ainge is lucky he's a Boston legend.  Anyone else would have been fired by now.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 12:14:01 AM »
Don't like the trade for Boston...Ricky Davis is the most talented player in this trade. Mark Blount is also a better center than Olowokandi, though Olowokandi can be tougher. Justin Reed and Marcus Banks are throw-ins for the draft pick, though I did have hopes for Banks at one point, especially when he was traded to the Lakers for that short bit. Ricky Davis and Mark Blount, I believe, will help Minnesota a lot. Garnett is a player who loves to give it up and set his teammates up, and Davis is a great, athletic scorer, while Blount is one of the better scoring centers in the league...Boston has a chance at something, if Olowokandi finally plays and Sczerbiak continues his offensive output, they may compliment Pierce nicely. Remember, this is an up-and-coming team...Players like Delonte West, Kendrick Perkins, Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Orien Greene, etc. are the future of this ball club...I'd like to see this line-up used for Boston:

PG Delonte West...Dan Dickau/Orien Greene
SG Paul Pierce...Tony Allen/Gerald Green
SF Wally Szczerbiak...Ryan Gomes
PF Al Jefferson...Raef Lafrentz/Brian Scalabrine
C Michael Olowokandi...Kendrick Perkins/Dwayne Jones

Conclusion: If Al Jefferson continues his improvement and Michael Olowokandi plays like he wants to win, this team can make a serious run for the playoffs...Wally can score, and though Ricky Davis was better overall, Wally will fit in nicely as a second scoring option.

Minnesota should look something like this:

PG Marko Jaric...Marcus Banks/Anthony Carter/Bracey Wright
SG Trenton Hassel...Troy Hudson/Rashad McCants
SF Ricky Davis...Richie Frahm/Ronald Dupree
PF Kevin Garnett...Justin Reed/Mark Madsen
C Mark Blount...Eddie Griffin

Conclusion: This team easily looks like it's ready to be a playoff team once again. If Ricky Davis and Mark Blount still like to score as much as they did in Boston, Minnesota has a team. They could use a little more toughness, but Garnett makes up for all that...

Overall, I think this trade worked better for Minnesota. It can't hurt Boston TOO much, as they're geared for the future, but it just seems as if Ricky was a major part of any success that team had...PeACe

acbaylove

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 04:59:54 AM »
The key player in this trade is obviously Michael Olowokandi. I’ve seen the Celtics a couple of times this year, and they were in desperate need of a thought big man, imo. Olo was probably the only decent one (even tho i’m not a fan of him) they could acquire without trading Pierce or their young prospects. Basically they lost something replacing Davis (i’m a fan of him) with Wally, but they improved under the basket in the defensive end. I don’t know, Celtics had do to something to find a better big man than Blount. But Olowokandi? From a Wolves prospective this is a very good trade, nothing to add: they'll love Ricky!

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The trains are NY veins, the city's a Psycho
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 10:28:27 AM »
The key player in this trade is Ricky Davis. KG has been beggin for years for a player like Davis to come along and help the team out. He is incredibly athletic and will help get the Wolves into the playoffs. Boston got the short end of the stick altho who knows what will turn out with that future 1st rounder.

I WENT TO STAPLES CENTER WEN I WAS WALKING MY GOLD RAG FALL OF MY POCKET AND THE GROUND WAS WET TO AND DIRTY MY RAG GOT DIRTY A LIL BIT PULL IT IT BACK AND MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT DROP AGAIN ROCKING MY RAG AGAIN HOMIE 8

acbaylove

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 10:44:17 AM »
The key player in this trade is Ricky Davis.

For Minnesota yeah, obviously.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 10:50:17 AM »
The key player in this trade is obviously Michael Olowokandi. I’ve seen the Celtics a couple of times this year, and they were in desperate need of a thought big man, imo. Olo was probably the only decent one (even tho i’m not a fan of him) they could acquire without trading Pierce or their young prospects. Basically they lost something replacing Davis (i’m a fan of him) with Wally, but they improved under the basket in the defensive end. I don’t know, Celtics had do to something to find a better big man than Blount. But Olowokandi? From a Wolves prospective this is a very good trade, nothing to add: they'll love Ricky!

Mark Blount > Michael Olowokandi...Olowokandi CAN provide some toughness, but we'll have to wait and see if the Celtics will miss Blounts offense underneath. I believe that Boston WILL make a run for the playoffs, despite losing a talent like Ricky...PeAce

acbaylove

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 10:53:31 AM »
Mark Blount > Michael Olowokandi...

Probably yes. Anyway they didn't need an offensive weapon, but a thought defender imo. That's why Olowokandi.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 11:05:24 AM »
Mark Blount > Michael Olowokandi...

Probably yes. Anyway they didn't need an offensive weapon, but a thought defender imo. That's why Olowokandi.

That's what I'm saying...But Olowokandi is inconsistant and has proven to be a player you can't always depend on...Hopefully it works out for Boston, I like their team, but they're not gunna be as good as they could have been with Ricky, Pierce, and all the young talent they had surrounding them. I still think they're gunna make a run for the playoffs, and hopefully they can add to their young talent with that pick they acquired...But overall, this trade wasn't that great for them...Shit, I woulda traded Chris Mihm, Devean George, AND a pick for Mark Blount and Ricky Davis (minus Justin Reed & Marcus Banks)...Overall, that woulda' been better for Boston than the trade they made with Minnesota...Imagine the Lakers with the (real) 6th man of last year coming off their bench...Shit would be awesome, I think Boston coulda' gotten more for Ricky D...PeACe

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 11:29:09 AM »
Well Szczerbiak did a ok job for not expecting to play last night he got the Celts good outside shots when they needed them and im hoping Kendrick Perkins or Al Jefferson would get the starting center position by next season if Olowakandi keeps playing like he was in Minnesota this season. I was definetly hoping for a descent power forward to come by sometime this season but i really didnt think making a trade that involved Mark Blount was a great idea. Minnesota got a great deal out of this but hopefully Minnesota doesn't make the playoffs this year so we get semi-good or good rookie talent next season.

acbaylove

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 12:12:42 PM »
That's what I'm saying...But Olowokandi is inconsistant and has proven to be a player you can't always depend on...

Don't say it to me, man. He sucked and got cutted here in Italy too.

Hopefully it works out for Boston, I like their team, but they're not gunna be as good as they could have been with Ricky, Pierce, and all the young talent they had surrounding them. I still think they're gunna make a run for the playoffs, and hopefully they can add to their young talent with that pick they acquired...But overall, this trade wasn't that great for them...Shit, I woulda traded Chris Mihm, Devean George, AND a pick for Mark Blount and Ricky Davis (minus Justin Reed & Marcus Banks)...Overall, that woulda' been better for Boston than the trade they made with Minnesota...Imagine the Lakers with the (real) 6th man of last year coming off their bench...Shit would be awesome, I think Boston coulda' gotten more for Ricky D...PeACe

Mihm? Naw, he's the only Lakers who scored at least 10 points in the last 8-9 games.. He's playing very well now. But yes, i'm def a fan of Ricky Davis and i'd like to see him in purple&gold.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 01:17:24 PM »
Well Szczerbiak did a ok job for not expecting to play last night he got the Celts good outside shots when they needed them and im hoping Kendrick Perkins or Al Jefferson would get the starting center position by next season if Olowakandi keeps playing like he was in Minnesota this season. I was definetly hoping for a descent power forward to come by sometime this season but i really didnt think making a trade that involved Mark Blount was a great idea. Minnesota got a great deal out of this but hopefully Minnesota doesn't make the playoffs this year so we get semi-good or good rookie talent next season.

Al Jefferson = Power Forward...Kendrick Perkins is good and all, but I think he needs a little more developing before he starts. For now, Olowokandi is more qualified, he's very capable of being a 10-8 guy every night, and with Perkins coming off the bench, that could be very effective...I think Lafrentz is also a pretty decent power forward, he could come off the bench for Al and hit some shots...Minnesota did get the best of the deal, but the Celtics DO have a pretty good team to work with...It is kinda scary to see the west improving though, with Sacramento and Minnesota looking like playoff teams again, that kinda leaves the Lakers in a MUST-WIN situation...While the west is getting stronger, the east is getting weaker...That means for Boston, especially in the atlantic division, they should easily have a chance at the playoffs now...And maybe they can excel from there, who know?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 01:26:53 PM »
That's what I'm saying...But Olowokandi is inconsistant and has proven to be a player you can't always depend on...

Don't say it to me, man. He sucked and got cutted here in Italy too.

Hopefully it works out for Boston, I like their team, but they're not gunna be as good as they could have been with Ricky, Pierce, and all the young talent they had surrounding them. I still think they're gunna make a run for the playoffs, and hopefully they can add to their young talent with that pick they acquired...But overall, this trade wasn't that great for them...Shit, I woulda traded Chris Mihm, Devean George, AND a pick for Mark Blount and Ricky Davis (minus Justin Reed & Marcus Banks)...Overall, that woulda' been better for Boston than the trade they made with Minnesota...Imagine the Lakers with the (real) 6th man of last year coming off their bench...Shit would be awesome, I think Boston coulda' gotten more for Ricky D...PeACe

Mihm? Naw, he's the only Lakers who scored at least 10 points in the last 8-9 games.. He's playing very well now. But yes, i'm def a fan of Ricky Davis and i'd like to see him in purple&gold.

That's true. I wouldn't really wanna trade Mihm. I love his will to win and how he's currently playing is GREAT for the team. But I dunno if I'd pass up on Ricky D, he can be the key to us being respected contenders, he can be that second consistant scoring option the Lakers were looking for...I'd also trust Blount in place of Mihm, I like his game. Blount can easily be a 15-7 guy every night, so I'd trust him as our starting center, with Kwame, of course, filling in for him when he's sitting...But that's just something I thought coulda' worked better for Boston's benefit...I remember their fans wanted Mihm. Mihm > Olowokandi... I like how our current roster is looking though, I don't think ANY moves are neccessarry.