Author Topic: Jay-Z And Linkin Park Set To Mash Up Grammy Stage  (Read 85 times)

Mr. Humonculous

Jay-Z And Linkin Park Set To Mash Up Grammy Stage
« on: February 06, 2006, 04:38:16 PM »
Rapper meets rockers for 'Numb/ Encore'; Alicia Keys, Dave Chappelle to present.

One of hip-hop's most valuable players will team up with some of rock's heaviest hitters in Los Angeles to mash up the stage at Wednesday's 48th annual Grammy Awards.

The Recording Academy announced Monday (February 6) that Grammy winners Jay-Z and Linkin Park would hit the stage to perform "Numb/ Encore." The track is up for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration, contending with Ciara and Missy Elliott's "1, 2 Step," Common, Kanye West and John Legend's "They Say," Destiny's Child, T.I. and Lil Wayne's "Soldier," and Gwen Stefani and Eve's "Rich Girl."

The Jay-Z/ Linkin Park pairing is the latest addition to this year's Grammy lineup. Previously announced performers include Mariah Carey, Coldplay, John Legend, Bruce Springsteen, Kelly Clarkson, Paul McCartney, U2 with Mary J. Blige, Faith Hill with Keith Urban, Christina Aguilera with Herbie Hancock, Jamie Foxx with West, and Madonna with animated group Gorillaz (see "Madonna's Oddest Collab Yet: Singer To Perform At Grammys With Gorillaz"). The Grammys will also feature an all-star tribute to Sly and the Family Stone, featuring Legend, Maroon 5, Will.I.Am of the Black Eyed Peas, Ciara, Joss Stone, Robert Randolph and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler and Joe Perry.

(Click here for the complete 2006 Grammy nominees list.)

In addition, it was also announced Monday that Alicia Keys — nominated for five awards — and comedian Dave Chappelle would both be taking the stage this year as presenters. Previously announced presenters include Destiny's Child, Chris Brown, James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong, actresses Jennifer Love Hewitt, Teri Hatcher and Jenna Elfman, and talk-show host Ellen DeGeneres, who will be introducing McCartney's performance.

Keys' Best R&B Album nod for Unplugged pits her against Earth, Wind and Fire's Illumination, Fantasia's Free Yourself, Legend's Get Lifted and Stevie Wonder's A Time to Love. The Best Female R&B Vocal Performance category has Alicia in the running for her track "Unbreakable," alongside Amerie, Beyoncé, Carey and Fantasia. "If This World Were Mine," from Keys and Jermaine Paul, will be vying for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocals, and "If I Was Your Woman" will contend with Carey's "Mine Again," Fantasia's "Summertime," Aretha Franklin's "A House Is Not a Home" and Legend's "Stay With You" for the Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance prize. Keys could also walk away with the Best R&B Song award for "Unbreakable." She's facing stiff competition from Destiny's Child ("Cater 2 U"), Fantasia ("Free Yourself"), Legend ("Ordinary People") and Carey ("We Belong Together").

As this year's Grammys approach, you can get all the latest news on the show, the scene and the nominees in our Grammy news archive. On the big night, February 8, be sure to tune in to MTV at 7 p.m. for our "All up in the Grammys" preshow. Plus check out videos of the nominees and more right here on MTV.com.

— Chris Harris
mtv.com