Author Topic: Michael Jackson & Kanye West in the studio  (Read 734 times)

Sikotic™

Re: Michael Jackson & Kanye West in the studio
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 08:56:07 PM »
You can argue how great Thriller is now in 2006 (I still think it one of the greatest). At that time in history when that video came out, it was ground breaking. There's really no denying that.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 09:20:54 PM »
You can argue how great Thriller is now in 2006 (I still think it one of the greatest). At that time in history when that video came out, it was ground breaking. There's really no denying that.

I really don't think it was. I think the hype machine makes us think that then and now. Artistically I don't think it's anywhere close to Pink Floyd's The Wall (which came out before Thriller), and the special effects weren't any better then Landis's American Wereworlf in London from '81. People that praise it like it invented artistic videos are the same kind of people that say Elvis invented Rock and Roll. Elvis didn't invent Rock and Roll but he was the reason it became huge, just like Thriller is the reason the art videos took off. Another example would be The Wizard of Oz and bringing color to the big screen. It wasn't the first but it gets all the credit.

I just don't think Thriller is all that good. I have no problem with you thinking otherwise. It's not a dated thing either. I can watch Wizard of Oz today and still think it looks great, and not just for it's year. The same can even be said for "American Werewolf in London". When I watch Thriller I see cartoony fun, which is fine, except I hear the voices saying "greatest video ever" in a serious way. I like Scarface but if someone told me "greatest movie ever" I'd strongly disagree.

Sikotic™

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 09:47:51 PM »
Well of course there are more and have been more artistic videos. My point was that Thriller did alot to change the landscape of music videos from that point forward.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE