Author Topic: Crash won Best Picture  (Read 1751 times)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Crash won Best Picture
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2006, 03:37:09 PM »
Films that deserve to win so often never do.  Why even bring up the politics?  This is just another case, in your opinion, of a film that didn't deserve to win Best Picture.  How many times has this happen over the years?

Trauma-san

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2006, 04:54:53 PM »
I wonder what you guys would have said if Brokeback Mountain would have won?  Or how about Good Night and Good Luck?  Or a History of Violence? Or Munich?! Guess what?  All of these movies had "liberal" agendas.  With Brokeback people would have complained about the gay side about it, if Good Night and Good Luck people would have complained about the Iraq comparisons, if A History of Violence would have won, people would have complained about the effect of violence has in America.  How about Munich? LOL.  Please, give it a rest. 

I really think there's an intelligence gap here.  You're just not seeing what we're talking about.  Here's another 'how about' for your scenario.  How about they nominate something that doesn't have a liberal political agenda? GASP now THERE'S a concept.  I don't mind that some of them did.  That's only the law of averages.  This year, though, you've got all the top films nominated that are basically political.  They nominate their OWN MOVIES, it's the biggest bunch of bullshit ever.  They're elitists, and have nothing to do with your average american.  They don't ride around listening to 3 6 mafia.  They think they're doing 36 mafia a favor by giving them an award, since god only knows they couldn't win one on their own.  Since they're not racist, though, they don't mind helping negroes out. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2006, 05:01:07 PM »
It's stupid of you complaining about one movie when your beef is with the Academy itself. 

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »
I'm so happy it won.  Its one of the few best pictures that I actually really enjoyed myself.

Sikotic™

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2006, 06:26:38 PM »
Well I think the idea of making 3-6 mafia perform last so that they didn't have the time to change their clothes to accept their award is very far out. I'd take their acceptance speeches over some wanna-be intellectual asshole acting like the Oscar is equivalent to the Nobel Peace Prize anytime also. Like you said, we gotta agree to disagree.

As for the movies, I wanna know what other movies should of been nominated since those films obviously were not good enough and basically nominated for their political influence?
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2006, 08:10:23 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No one is saying they had to give a reserved speech in old english. I just think they looked like clowns, and I think that because I feel they acted like that on purpose and act like that on purpose to appease the streets. Walk into the ghetto and ask about women's rights to a single person with no one else around (I've done this) and more often than not you'll get a reasonable intelligent real answer. Bring it up later when every one else is around and you'll hear something along the lines of "she's got the right to suck my dick" more often than not. That's the way the streets make people act stupid. Of course you can apply this to any group for various topics but in this case with Three 6 it was the streets.

However, if I were to find out that they really don't know better and were taught like this by even their families then I take everything I said about them back. I'm not trying to insult them by calling them stupid. I just they they are stupid for faking it like that.

And I never said none of the movies deserved to be there. I think they all should have been there, except Crash. In it's place I would have put Walk The Line. Javy's praise of History of Violence makes me want to watch it again so I'll let you know if I think that should be there.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with realizing the importance of an Oscar and treating it with high regard like some "wanna-be intellectual asshole". The Oscar is very important. The award itself may not be, but the desire to win it is. That desire is what makes directors spend year after year trying to perfect their craft and art to been recognized and we as fans benefit because we get the best movies out of it. Very few make music to win a grammy because most of the real artists think the award is a joke and if they felt that it truly stood for the best album then I'd bet artists would try extra hard to make the best albums they could and we'd all be better off as fans.

Films that deserve to win so often never do.  Why even bring up the politics?  This is just another case, in your opinion, of a film that didn't deserve to win Best Picture.  How many times has this happen over the years?

In MY this is one of the only times I feel a film that didn't deserve to be there won the Oscar. I have no problem with politics driving a movie if I think the movie is good enough. In this case, I don't Crash was good enough to be there.

I never called you guys idiots for liking Crash or stated that the Oscars have become a joke since it won. This isn't the Grammys. My first post was based on my opinion on the movie and how I think it was overrated and that it was because of it's morals. Morals are great but they don't make a movie great, and in my opinion that movie wasn't Oscar great. I feel the same movie teaching the message like making it seem like racism is a good thing, with the exact same cinematography, acting, directing, and production would have been thrown out the window by everyone that saw it. If Brokeback or Capote were the same movies buit had a story where the character concludes that homosexuality is wrong and turns his back on it then I'd feel the same about those two movies. If Good Night and Good Luck praised McCarthy's views and made Murrow look like a clown I'd still think it's Oscar worthy, if the movie was as good. I realize the liberal academy wouldn't have voted for those movies if they did have those messages, but that is not my point. My point was what I of the movieand how good I thought it was. It's just my opinion.

Trauma-san

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2006, 08:39:10 PM »
It's stupid of you complaining about one movie when your beef is with the Academy itself. 

I'm not complaining about 1 movie.  I'm complaining about the Academy. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2006, 08:41:55 PM »
Just say so then and dont say this "They don't want anybody to think *gasp* that they're racist, so they tip their hand by making a movie so blatantly made by a bunch of apologists. "  Right here you're bitching about Crash, dont even mention Crash just bitch at what's so incredibly obvious with the Academy

Sikotic™

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2006, 09:22:11 PM »
No one is saying they had to give a reserved speech in old english. I just think they looked like clowns, and I think that because I feel they acted like that on purpose and act like that on purpose to appease the streets. Walk into the ghetto and ask about women's rights to a single person with no one else around (I've done this) and more often than not you'll get a reasonable intelligent real answer. Bring it up later when every one else is around and you'll hear something along the lines of "she's got the right to suck my dick" more often than not. That's the way the streets make people act stupid. Of course you can apply this to any group for various topics but in this case with Three 6 it was the streets.

The fact that people act differently when they're one-on-one and when they're in a group is no mystery. It happens with all groups of people from all walks of life so I don't know what your point is by mentioning that.

But hey, you're probably right. Who doesn't go accept an award and thank the people who supported them? Maybe I need to watch their acceptance again, because nothing really comes to mind where the group made me cringe out of their stupdity. I just remember those guys being really excited and surprised.

Walk The Line was a really great film and I agree it deserved to be nominated. In my opinion though, Crash was much better than Walk The Line. I can't determine if Walk The Line was better than Capote or Brokeback Mountain, because I didn't see those 2 films, but I think Good Night, Good Luck and Munich were both better movies too.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2006, 09:56:32 PM »
Who dissed me and why? Because I didn't like Crash that much?

The fact that people act differently when they're one-on-one and when they're in a group is no mystery. It happens with all groups of people from all walks of life so I don't know what your point is by mentioning that.

I know it happens to all people in all walks of life, and I even said that, but as I also said in the case we are discussing it's the streets and being "street" and not being "white". That's the way it came across to me anyway.

But hey, you're probably right. Who doesn't go accept an award and thank the people who supported them? Maybe I need to watch their acceptance again, because nothing really comes to mind where the group made me cringe out of their stupdity. I just remember those guys being really excited and surprised.

For me they didn't come across as artists. THey came across as 3 Flava Flaves, and I've always been more a Chuck D guy than a Flava Flave guy. But that's just me.

Walk The Line was a really great film and I agree it deserved to be nominated. In my opinion though, Crash was much better than Walk The Line. I can't determine if Walk The Line was better than Capote or Brokeback Mountain, because I didn't see those 2 films, but I think Good Night, Good Luck and Munich were both better movies too.

Okay you think Crash was better than Walk The Line and I think Walk The Line was better. It's not the end of the World. If Walk The Line was nominated instead and it won and there was a thread praising it and you jumped in and said it was good but overrated and said Crash should have been there in stead I wouldn't have minded. I would have debated to get my point across but I wouldn't have thought less of you or tried to insult (not that I think you were insulting me).

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2006, 10:16:55 PM »
I didn't diss you, lol. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2006, 10:29:16 PM »
I didn't diss you, lol. 

I wasn't accusing anyone and thanks for the prop (if it was you).

Sikotic™

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2006, 11:11:41 PM »
Okay you think Crash was better than Walk The Line and I think Walk The Line was better. It's not the end of the World. If Walk The Line was nominated instead and it won and there was a thread praising it and you jumped in and said it was good but overrated and said Crash should have been there in stead I wouldn't have minded. I would have debated to get my point across but I wouldn't have thought less of you or tried to insult (not that I think you were insulting me).

If you thought Crash shouldn't of won because it was overrated, then that's fine. You didn't say that though. You turned it into a political agenda by Hollywood in order to make them not look racist. I just dont see how that's logical or how that benefits their industry. They would continue to make billions regardless of what movie won best picture, and we all know that's Hollywoods main concern: the money.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2006, 07:05:41 AM »

If you thought Crash shouldn't of won because it was overrated, then that's fine. You didn't say that though. You turned it into a political agenda by Hollywood in order to make them not look racist. I just dont see how that's logical or how that benefits their industry. They would continue to make billions regardless of what movie won best picture, and we all know that's Hollywoods main concern: the money.

My very first post on this was about how I thought it wasn't that good a movie. I used politics as a way to justify why it was there. I knew from the beginning that either Crash or Brokeback was going to win; from when they started showing the montage about Hollywood rising above the times and hearing Clooney mention how they gave Hattie McDaniel an award while the rest of America wouldn't blacks in the front door. Whjat he didn't mention was how Hattie was the first black even invited to the Oscars and that same year he had to no show her film's openning due to racism in Hollywood. Hollywood wants to pretend that they are better than they are and they did it again with Crash. If I thought Crash was god enough I wouldn't have complained. I'd still say it was politics but I'd also say it still deserved it anyway.

And the Oscars were never so much about money. Hollywood certainly is but the Oscars are more about what's good, or what they think is good. Whoever they give the award to won't affect how many people watch Narnia, and Narnia wasn't nominated. 40 Year Old Virgin made more than any film nominated Sunday Night and you won't see that nominated. Hollywood is about money, but it's also about tooting it's own horn, and this time they did it by showing off their passion for equality.

Watch the show again if you can and you'll notice there are two agendas; Hollywood is the forerunner of humanity in America and don't download or pirate movies because they are only good on the big screen. There were several videos and slip ins from award winners and presenters that showed this.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2006, 10:06:43 AM »
if hollywood was TRYING to be politically correct, i think they would have awarded broke back mountain the award. i don't mean to sound "hollywood" here but racial politics in entertainment are "so 5 years ago"

crash won because it was the best picture out of all the nominees

IMO:

brokeback didn't win because a) it wasn't as moving or as powerful as it could have been
capote didn't win becuase it was a one man show really, i though it was pretty boring
good night and good luck didn't win because it was the weakest film in the category ( i felt walk the line should have been in it's spot)
munich didn't win because for some reason i've seen this movie somewhere else a few years back...

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09