Author Topic: question about age limit in the NBA?  (Read 397 times)

ABN

question about age limit in the NBA?
« on: March 30, 2006, 01:19:43 AM »
a friend of mine said that in 2 years or something players are gonna have to be 20 years old when they can start to play in the NBA. now is this true or was my friend just rambling? i really don´t know coz i haven´t really followed the NBA news for the last couple of years.

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: question about age limit in the NBA?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 01:24:40 AM »
19 is the Age Limit. You gotta go to collage at least 1 year.

ABN

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 01:43:52 AM »
19 is the Age Limit. You gotta go to collage at least 1 year.
even if you´re older then 19? fuck that rule, why shouldn´t they be allowed in the league whenever the player feels ready? i think i might´ve heard Charles Barkley praising this rule but he´d praise crack and male whores if he thought that it was legal.

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 03:52:25 AM »
michael jordan is prasing this rule as well i think. so its gonna be like the nfl then i think but do they have to go to college for a yr or is it just  as long as ur 19 ?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 04:40:59 AM »
Jealous 35+ year old ex-superstars are just pissed off when young ass players own the crap out of them.. that's what it comes down to basically.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

acbaylove

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 05:04:38 AM »
That means nobody could be selected in the draft younger than Andrew Bynum..  8)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 09:54:21 AM »
Yup...I think the age limit is stupid...The drafts have been getting ridiculous though, especially for this season, with players like Gerald Green projected to be a top 3 pick and an NBA superstar...It gets confusing with high-school players, I think the rule is good in a way, but it also sucks, because we got players like Moses Malone, Shawn Kemp, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, LeBron James, etc. all straight out of high school...PeACe

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 10:09:35 AM »
ONE year of college. What's so bad about that. I could school some of the b-ball players in my highschool and I wasn't even on the team. So one year of transition isn't that long of time. Just one year people. If they said complete college or be at least 20 then I could see the point in why it should be opposed.

dexter

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 10:21:02 AM »
Kobe was 17 His rookie year
Crazy rule

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 11:39:26 AM »
Crazy rule

damn was he really only 17?

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

T-Dub

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 01:50:26 PM »
19 and a year removed from High School

OJ Mayo and one of his teammates are going to be 19 when they graduate but still can't go to the NBA.  NBDL is changing the age limit to 18 for players that don't go to college.  I think there should be exceptions, some of the players aren't ready, but for the exceptions like LeBron, he could have came out when he was a junior and been a number 1 pick and there would be only a handful of players that teams wouldn't have traded to get him.  I think when LeBron type players come out, appeals to the rule should be allowed to be made.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 01:53:12 PM »
Crazy rule

damn was he really only 17?

Yes...

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 01:58:30 PM »

OJ Mayo and one of his teammates are going to be 19 when they graduate but still can't go to the NBA.  NBDL is changing the age limit to 18 for players that don't go to college.  I think there should be exceptions, some of the players aren't ready, but for the exceptions like LeBron, he could have came out when he was a junior and been a number 1 pick and there would be only a handful of players that teams wouldn't have traded to get him.  I think when LeBron type players come out, appeals to the rule should be allowed to be made.

That would be a tough idea to put in motion because at what point do you draw the line for players that stand out?  The media can easily overhype an athlete if they want to, that's what many people thought was going on with Lebron.  There shouldn't be an age limit though, General Managers should be smart enough to know which players will actually contribute to the team . 

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 02:01:01 PM »

OJ Mayo and one of his teammates are going to be 19 when they graduate but still can't go to the NBA. NBDL is changing the age limit to 18 for players that don't go to college. I think there should be exceptions, some of the players aren't ready, but for the exceptions like LeBron, he could have came out when he was a junior and been a number 1 pick and there would be only a handful of players that teams wouldn't have traded to get him. I think when LeBron type players come out, appeals to the rule should be allowed to be made.
Appeals are only made when there is a dispute over a rule. And like Javy said, where do you draw the line? How good someone his, escpically before they enter the NBA, is a hard thing to measure because it's more a question of opinion then fact.