Author Topic: King's Coach Rick Adelman FIRED!!  (Read 583 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

King's Coach Rick Adelman FIRED!!
« on: May 09, 2006, 03:27:04 PM »
Adelman will be let go at afternoon news conference

Rick Adelman will not return for a ninth season as coach of the Sacramento Kings, an NBA source said Tuesday.

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity because the move had not yet been announced, said Adelman will not receive a contract extension after leading the Kings to eight consecutive playoff appearances. Sacramento was eliminated from the playoffs on Friday by the San Antonio Spurs.

The Kings called a news conference for Tuesday afternoon but wouldn't divulge the reason.

Adelman coached this season as a lame duck but still got the Kings into the playoffs at 44-38 with a tremendous late-season surge after the arrival of Ron Artest. His departure, probably caused by years of minor dissensions between the coach and the club owners, ends the most successful tenure of any coach in the franchise's 21 seasons in Sacramento.

Adelman is 752-481 in 16 seasons as an NBA coach, the last eight in Sacramento, where he won 395 games.

Adelman's streak of five consecutive 50-win seasons ended this year when the Kings got off to a terrible start. But Adelman might have done the most impressive coaching of his Sacramento tenure this season, molding a cohesive team with just two holdovers from the 2002-03 season.

The Kings transformed themselves into a defense-oriented team when Artest arrived in a late-January trade for Peja Stojakovic. Sacramento won 25 of its final 36 regular-season games and stretched the Spurs in the first round of the postseason, eventually losing in six games.

Though Adelman had far more success than all of the coaches in Sacramento's two decades of NBA experience combined, his failure to win a championship left him less than beloved by the Maloof family, which owns the club. Joe and Gavin Maloof tentatively courted Phil Jackson last summer while Adelman still was under contract, perplexing Adelman.

He led the Kings to the playoffs in each of his seasons, starting with his surprising one-year revitalization of a longtime loser in the strike-shortened 1999 season.

With new acquisitions Chris Webber, Vlade Divac, Jason Williams and Stojakovic, the Kings captured the NBA's attention with their high-flying, sharp-passing style. Adelman's offensive schemes were imaginative and intriguing, though the Kings were criticized for their defense.

Sacramento increased its win total in each of its first four seasons under Adelman's watch, eventually winning the club's first two Pacific Division titles while going 61-21 in 2000-01 and 59-23 in 2001-02.

The Kings reached Game 7 of the Western Conference finals in 2002 before losing to the Los Angeles Lakers and missing a chance to play for the franchise's first championship since 1951.

Adelman reached two NBA Finals during six seasons in Portland, and he also spent two losing seasons coaching the Golden State Warriors.

ESPN.com's Marc Stein, who earlier this season speculated on Don Nelson as a possible Adelson successor, reports that the Kings do not have to ask the Mavericks for permission to hire Nelson.

Nelson, who is currently an advisor to Dallas owner Mark Cuban, has a clause in his contract that makes him a coaching free agent at season's end. He earned $5 million this season; his salary will drop to $1 million next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2439143

Mr. Nice Guy

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: King's Coach Rick Adelman FIRED!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 04:40:07 PM »
Saw this coming a mile away...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 04:48:15 PM »
Well, they made a stupid move, unless they already had a replacement in mind...Adelman was an excellent coach. I think they fucked up by firing him, especially after Artest was supporting him...PeACe

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 06:08:14 PM »
Well, they made a stupid move, unless they already had a replacement in mind...Adelman was an excellent coach. I think they fucked up by firing him, especially after Artest was supporting him...PeACe

Word.  I mean, Artest is a fucking nut but he was a huge reason they were a playoff team there.  If he liked Adelman, they should have really considered that.  Now if they hire someone Artest doesn't like, he's gonna flip the fuck out.

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 06:39:39 PM »
^^^ true especialy knowing artest's attitude. adelman was also a good coach.

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 07:30:17 PM »
I think Stan Van Gundy will get the Job.

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 08:34:16 PM »
i agree it was a terrible move

sumbody said to me that he's always had good teams and that who cares bout Artest (i.e. it was a good move to fire him)

there have always been teams that are better though: Lakers with the 3pete, the Spurs also winning it 3 times, and the Pistons winning it; it was difficult to compete with those teams

and we all know how Artest is; they better make sure the next coach can keep him happy as well
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 08:43:06 PM by z_dizzle Iz Quite Active »

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The trains are NY veins, the city's a Psycho
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 11:05:15 PM »
stupid

I WENT TO STAPLES CENTER WEN I WAS WALKING MY GOLD RAG FALL OF MY POCKET AND THE GROUND WAS WET TO AND DIRTY MY RAG GOT DIRTY A LIL BIT PULL IT IT BACK AND MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT DROP AGAIN ROCKING MY RAG AGAIN HOMIE 8

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 12:36:47 AM »
well shit , whoever lands rick adelman can thank the kings cuz they're going to be doing better next season

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 12:37:54 AM »
well shit , whoever lands rick adelman can thank the kings cuz they're going to be doing better next season

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 04:04:25 AM »
I think Artest might like Nelson, since he's an offensive minded coach and Artest really wants to score 20+ ppg.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 10:23:11 AM »
I think Artest might like Nelson, since he's an offensive minded coach and Artest really wants to score 20+ ppg.

Artest is a moron...His team will never win if he shoots that much.

teewhyyoues

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 12:13:06 PM »
good

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 12:14:50 PM »
good

keep that obvious spammin comin and your account is gone in a minute...
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 12:17:12 PM »
why the fuck would they fire adelman? the kings have made the playoffs every year since he's been coaching.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"