Author Topic: The Sad Truth about "Cali iz Active"  (Read 3187 times)

al3000

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The Sad Truth about "Cali iz Active"
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2006, 08:03:46 AM »

Realest muthafuckin talk in this thread....thats why i dont post much on this bitch...and FYI this is still THE BEST ALBUM OUTTA THE WEST THIS YEAR!!!!

I see why you have tyrone biggums in your sig because you must be a crackhead saying shit like that.......LOL.....but to each his own.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2006, 08:09:35 AM »
I thought the Battlecat track and the Soopafly joints were the highlights!

"Cali iz active" was the only decent beat Battlecat produced on the album.  The rest of his shit was boring and should have not made the final cut.

Hey Nima, next time you interview Soopafly, ask him how does it feel to be held back by Snoop Dogg for a decade.  He's too talented a producer to be treated the way he has been.  Dude should be mentioned with Dre and Quik but Snoop has a stranglehold over him.

HD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WCCWF Champion
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2006, 08:16:15 AM »
ive listened to a few tracks now and they dont sound too bad..

destine-2-shine

• 'G'
  • the realest niigga in here
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2006, 09:01:44 AM »
On second listen this shit gets a 8.5/10 this shiit iz bangin. Tha Fucc are yall listenin to. Battlecat shit was up to snuff as they have been in the past but they arent as bad ass niggaz make em out to be.

Stop Lyin
Face To Face
Its All Good

Them Joints is bangin. Not the usual battlecat beats ala G'd up but they nice.  And to be honest i didnt like Stop Lyin or Face To Face on first listen but they are dope in there own right. I can see how this cd could be wack to niggaz that played out Cali Iz Active, Sittin on 23z, and the other joints that were already released. Dont sleep on this album though. I dont see how a niigga could listen to this completey and not like it.
fucc u and yo mothafuccin momma. and i still be the realest mothafucca in here.

Monotone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2006, 09:07:23 AM »
Can somebody pm me the u know what to this....

Killa-a

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2006, 09:25:57 AM »
I like the album  dident expect nothin spectacular so im surprised its actually pretty good only 2 or 3 tracks im not feelin .To me album is way better then new cube one or the 213 album

Eihtball

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2006, 09:40:53 AM »
There are two problems with "Cali iz Active".  One was having Paul Wall, David Banner, and Puffy on this cd.  Their styles contrast way too much with the Daz/Kurupt chemistry.  If they had verses from Bad Azz, Warren G, Soopafly, and a couple people from the Cali iz Active video shoot (Too Short, WC, DJ Quik, Roscoe, Xzibit, and MC Eiht come to mind), instead of trying to go mainstream, it'd be a better album. 

The second problem, and the biggest one with this album is the same problem that plagued the 213 album...the production wasn't kept in house.  The tracks Soopafly produced ("Throwin up da C", "Slow your roll", and "Keepin' it Gangsta") are the highlights of this album.  Battlecat must have used beats he pulled out of the trash because besides "Cali iz active", his beats are garbage...he definately did not bring his A game (this case, he didn't bring his B, C, or D game either).  If you have Daz, Soopafly, and Warren G produce the bulk of this album (say 4 songs each) and have Dre, Scott Storch, Jazze Pha, and Battlecat produce a song each, then we'd have the classic album that many people on here feel Cali iz Active should have been.

This, unfortunately, is a typical reminder of why West Coast fans are some of the most anti-progressive and overly-critical cats in all of hip-hop.

I agree that this album is quite dissappointing and that Daz and Kurupt are pretty bad, plus they sound like shit trying to rap over contemporary production by Swizz Beatz and David Banner.  It's an attempt at going mainstream that simply sounds forced and results in poor music.  If Kurupt and Daz could sound good doing a song with P. Diddy like Snoop can, I'd be all for it, but they can't. The fact is, both Kurupt and Daz are washed-up niggas who have zero marketability no matter whose beats they're rapping over, or how many guests are with them.

But y'all that claim this album sucks simply because there aren't enough West Coast producers and guests are playin yourselves.  The album would suck 10x worse if it had only beats and guests from Cali.  If Battlecat (who used to be one of the best in the West) can't make this album sound good, why do you think Soopafly or Warren G could do much better?  Pretty much all of Soopafly's shit was equally bad, and if "In The Mid-Nite Hour" is any indication, Warren G would be WORSE.  Same with rappers...all them cats are just like Daz and Kurupt themselves; nobody except those in the West are checkin for them anymore cause they're just has-beens of the G-Funk era who got nothing else to offer hip-hop.

West coast fans aren't keeping the west down, it's artists that release trash like this and expect their fans to like it and buy it because it has the names "Snoop Dogg", "213", or "Tha Dogg Pound" on the cover.

Sure they are...and you are one of them.  The album is trash according to you because it didn't have in-house production and guests.  That is how all West Coast fans are - if it doesn't follow the Death Row/G-Funk blueprint, it's wack.  So that's what these artists do - they try and cater to the G-Funk flunkies AND reach out to the mainstream at the same time, but trying to satisfy both is impossible and always results in shit music.  "Cali Iz Active" is yet another textbook example.  If Kurupt and Daz had focused on improving their style and adapting themselves better to the times rather than satisfying their stupid L.A. fans, it would have been better.

So yeah, the fans are keeping the West down.  They need to learn that it ain't '95 anymore and that hip-hop has moved on, and the sooner they catch up to it, the better.

We know why Daz wasnt on the boards, We know why Warren G wasnt on the boards with 213. Labels dont wanna pay niiggaz to rap AND produce. Labels say hey its YOUR project we are already paying you to rap, we AINT paying you to produce its simple as that. We know this shiit woulda been heat with Daz production on it. Even without it gets a 7/10.

Daz and Warren G ain't behind the boards because their beats are shit.  They're just relics of the G-Funk era that would make the album sound dated and boring.  They don't get to produce on major-label releases anymore because they would lower the quality of the album if given a chance.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 09:54:55 AM by 2 Muh'phuccin Xtra 4 Cali »

Inspire / Moss

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.DUBCNN.com
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2006, 09:44:20 AM »
personally i thought it was dope..

~ Westcoast News Network ~

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2006, 09:48:12 AM »
only thing that couldve been better is if they had paid DAZ SOME $$$$ TO PRODUCE SOME TRACKS. same with warreg G

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2006, 09:57:46 AM »
Pretty much nobody is speaking on how Snoop riiiiipped every one of his verses on this album  :o  I remember when that was the first complaint out of dudes' mouths, so he's pretty much back for sure.

Blue Carpet Treatment could be Blueprint level material if Snoop conceptualizes things correctly, especially with his production budget.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Active Ingredient

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • wake up in tha mornin with my lucky charms cereal
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2006, 10:18:47 AM »
every time a dpg related album comes out everyone on this board rushes to talk shit on it.

yea right, 213 is the worst album ever and theres not even one decent track on it ::) fast forward one year and half yall muthafuckas are loving the shit out of it.

"I keep it gangsta for the kids" -Goldie Loc

Quadruple OG

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2006, 10:32:51 AM »

But y'all that claim this album sucks simply because there aren't enough West Coast producers and guests are playin yourselves.  The album would suck 10x worse if it had only beats and guests from Cali.  If Battlecat (who used to be one of the best in the West) can't make this album sound good, why do you think Soopafly or Warren G could do much better?  Pretty much all of Soopafly's shit was equally bad, and if "In The Mid-Nite Hour" is any indication, Warren G would be WORSE.  Same with rappers...all them cats are just like Daz and Kurupt themselves; nobody except those in the West are checkin for them anymore cause they're just has-beens of the G-Funk era who got nothing else to offer hip-hop.

um, Soopafly's tracks were by far the best tracks on the album.  "Throwin up da C" could easily be a single and a summertime anthem that would get them spins.  Soopafly and Warren would be much better because they have known Snoop, Daz, and Kurupt for years and probably know the sound that can bring the best out of em.  Same way that Dre knows how to bring the best out of snoop.  You don't think the album would be hotter with some of the people from the "Cali iz Active" video?

Sure they are...and you are one of them.  The album is trash according to you because it didn't have in-house production and guests.  That is how all West Coast fans are - if it doesn't follow the Death Row/G-Funk blueprint, it's wack.  So that's what these artists do - they try and cater to the G-Funk flunkies AND reach out to the mainstream at the same time, but trying to satisfy both is impossible and always results in shit music.  "Cali Iz Active" is yet another textbook example.  If Kurupt and Daz had focused on improving their style and adapting themselves better to the times rather than satisfying their stupid L.A. fans, it would have been better.

So yeah, the fans are keeping the West down.  They need to learn that it ain't '95 anymore and that hip-hop has moved on, and the sooner they catch up to it, the better.

I NEVER mentioned anything about this album being compared to any Death Row/G-Funk era album.  Let me repeat that for those that see this thread:  I never mentioned anything about this album being compared to any Death Row/G-Funk era album.  

If you want to compare albums, compare this album to E-40.  Both of them haven't been in the mainstream in a while and are associated with a certain sound however the difference is that E-40 was able to cater to both crowds (the Bay area and mainstream) successfully and drop plenty of hot songs to satisfy both crowds.  Snoop, Daz, and Kurupt for the most part chose tracks that were garbage that even a deaf person would disagree with.  Like I said, Snoop and Tha Dogg pound expect their g-funk fans to buy anything that they release, they do these interviews on sites like dubcnn and wcrydaz promising that this album will be "the" album that takes them back, and these fans are let down time and time again because they hype their albums up and release trash.  Like someone said, this is the 213 album all over again.  I feel bad for the Snoop groupies that are going to be let down by this album.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2006, 10:40:48 AM »
5 best Songs are...

1.Heavyweights : This reminds me of a old school Dogg Pound Track and Listen to Daz Flow  8) 8)
2.Keeping It Gangsta : Listen to Rage's Verse  :o WE NEED A NEW RAGE ALBUM
3.Throwin Up Da C : Nice song!! sounds like an old school track
4.Its All Hood : No Ice Cube verse but I was very impress by Snoops verse and flow
5.Slow Ur Roll : I like the vibe of this song

5 Best Beats

1.Heavyweights
2.Slow Your Roll
3.Dont Sweat It
4.Kushin N Pushin
5.Keeping IT Gangsta

Damaja

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2006, 10:44:17 AM »
good album except for its craccin all night, make dat pussy pop, and she likes dat

if there were all the leftover tracks on it instead of them above it would be a really good album

one of the better releases of this year so far

cant understand why so many are hating on it
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 11:52:28 AM by Damaja »

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2006, 10:57:22 AM »
The features of Paul Wall, Banner and Diddy  are the highlights of the album

:boohoo:  ..I hope that's not true