Author Topic: The Sad Truth about "Cali iz Active"  (Read 3190 times)

Eihtball

Re: The Sad Truth about "Cali iz Active"
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2006, 11:10:37 AM »
um, Soopafly's tracks were by far the best tracks on the album.  "Throwin up da C" could easily be a single and a summertime anthem that would get them spins.

Spins where?  In L.A.?  L.A. ain't the rest of the country, or the rest of the world, son.  You know as well as I do that nobody outside of L.A. would give a fuck about "Throwin Up Da C" any more than they've given a fuck about the single "Cali Iz Active" so far.

Soopafly and Warren would be much better because they have known Snoop, Daz, and Kurupt for years and probably know the sound that can bring the best out of em.  Same way that Dre knows how to bring the best out of snoop.

Neither Soopafly nor Warren can bring out the best in Snoop the way Dre or even Pharrell can (yeah, I said it...Pharrell's beats for Snoop are dope).  Battlecat USED to bring out Snoop's best (5 years ago), but he's starting to sound pedestrian now.  And ain't nobody gonna bring out the best in Daz and Kurupt - both of them are has-beens who have long since fallen off and will always sound wack no matter who they have producing them.

The album doesn't gain anything from Soopafly's productions, and it wouldn't have gained from Warren G's, either.

I NEVER mentioned anything about this album being compared to any Death Row/G-Funk era album.  Let me repeat that for those that see this thread:  I never mentioned anything about this album being compared to any Death Row/G-Funk era album.  

If you want to compare albums, compare this album to E-40.  Both of them haven't been in the mainstream in a while and are associated with a certain sound however the difference is that E-40 was able to cater to both crowds (the Bay area and mainstream) successfully and drop plenty of hot songs to satisfy both crowds.  Snoop, Daz, and Kurupt for the most part chose tracks that were garbage that even a deaf person would disagree with.  Like I said, Snoop and Tha Dogg pound expect their g-funk fans to buy anything that they release, they do these interviews on sites like dubcnn and wcrydaz promising that this album will be "the" album that takes them back, and these fans are let down time and time again because they hype their albums up and release trash.  Like someone said, this is the 213 album all over again.  I feel bad for the Snoop groupies that are going to be let down by this album.

You just contradicted yourself...first you say you don't expect them to do G-Funk, then you criticize them for not catering to G-Funk fans.  My point is, not only does DPG not have any obligation to G-Funk fans, but they shouldn't even be trying in the first place because it ain't worth it.

G-Funk fans are just dumb muh'fuckas who live in the past and then complain whenever an album doesn't follow the G-Funk blueprint to a tee, and then they wonder why nobody except them is checking for the West anymore.

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2006, 11:21:14 AM »
LMFAO at people trying to say this album is heat, this was easily one of the worst albums I have ever heard.  I listened to every track more than once and my opinion that it is utter ass isnt going anywhere. Horrible album and its too bad that some people cant admit that.

d-nice

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2006, 11:58:26 AM »
I ain't gonna lie, when Justin said the material is the best since Tha Streetz or RR&GB, I got hyped up. And just like Cube's album, I am going to wait and buy it. FYE has 2 bonus tracks that come with the album so that is where I am going.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2006, 12:31:33 PM »
every time a dpg related album comes out everyone on this board rushes to talk shit on it.

yea right, 213 is the worst album ever and theres not even one decent track on it ::) fast forward one year and half yall muthafuckas are loving the shit out of it.

213 takes a piss on this  :-\

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2006, 01:54:58 PM »
This is 213 Part 2.
213 album is actually pretty good for the most part

yeah agreed.. i only just started re'bumpin this album recently, and gota say i neglected it at first but it is a pretty smooth album after all.. got some nice cuts on tracks like "so fly" "mary jane" "another summer" etc..

As for the "cali iz active" album ill wait til i can give it a proper bump and form my own decision.. but in all honesty i havent been looking that forward to it because at end of day, kurupt, snoop, warren, daz and snoop are pretty much coming to end of their careers now and cant hold listeners like they use to and thats the most dissapointing thing and maybe we have too high expections of them now-a-days and should face facts that they never guna recapture their heat n hunger from the early DR era.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 02:00:24 PM by Educated Thug »

d-nice

« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2006, 02:01:08 PM »
I think fans are so for DPG artists and producers doing each others projects because THE SHIT WORKS!!! Doggystyle, Doggfather, Streetz, RR&GB, DPGC you know, etc. Kurupt's appearances on Snoop's albums are legendary. DPGC is like Wu Tang. You really do not want to hear Method Man on some Jelly Roll beats. No offense to Jelly, but you want to hear RZA do the beats. That is not living in the past, the shit works. It bangs in ya car. Same with DPG. CIA looks like it has contributions from quite a few DPGC artists and affliates, but what is consistent with fans is the tracks they do not like is with outside producers. Snoop has made it work for him, but it does not work as well for other DPGC artists. I think Kurupt's solo will probably be a better sounding album just for the fact Daz is doing it.  DPGC you know what i'm throwin up was one of my favorites albums once you get past all the disses, because of Soopa, Fred, Meech and Quaze doin beats. Could you imagine CIA with that albums beats?  :o But Daz said this in the beginning he was not involved as far as beats so just from hearing the reviews this album sounds like 213 all over again. Either way it is still DPGC all day for me. I grew up on them and 1 bad or so so album does not make me give up on them.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2006, 02:06:27 PM »
um, Soopafly's tracks were by far the best tracks on the album.  "Throwin up da C" could easily be a single and a summertime anthem that would get them spins.

Spins where?  In L.A.?  L.A. ain't the rest of the country, or the rest of the world, son.  You know as well as I do that nobody outside of L.A. would give a fuck about "Throwin Up Da C" any more than they've given a fuck about the single "Cali Iz Active" so far.

Soopafly and Warren would be much better because they have known Snoop, Daz, and Kurupt for years and probably know the sound that can bring the best out of em.  Same way that Dre knows how to bring the best out of snoop.

Neither Soopafly nor Warren can bring out the best in Snoop the way Dre or even Pharrell can (yeah, I said it...Pharrell's beats for Snoop are dope).  Battlecat USED to bring out Snoop's best (5 years ago), but he's starting to sound pedestrian now.  And ain't nobody gonna bring out the best in Daz and Kurupt - both of them are has-beens who have long since fallen off and will always sound wack no matter who they have producing them.

The album doesn't gain anything from Soopafly's productions, and it wouldn't have gained from Warren G's, either.

I NEVER mentioned anything about this album being compared to any Death Row/G-Funk era album.  Let me repeat that for those that see this thread:  I never mentioned anything about this album being compared to any Death Row/G-Funk era album.  

If you want to compare albums, compare this album to E-40.  Both of them haven't been in the mainstream in a while and are associated with a certain sound however the difference is that E-40 was able to cater to both crowds (the Bay area and mainstream) successfully and drop plenty of hot songs to satisfy both crowds.  Snoop, Daz, and Kurupt for the most part chose tracks that were garbage that even a deaf person would disagree with.  Like I said, Snoop and Tha Dogg pound expect their g-funk fans to buy anything that they release, they do these interviews on sites like dubcnn and wcrydaz promising that this album will be "the" album that takes them back, and these fans are let down time and time again because they hype their albums up and release trash.  Like someone said, this is the 213 album all over again.  I feel bad for the Snoop groupies that are going to be let down by this album.

You just contradicted yourself...first you say you don't expect them to do G-Funk, then you criticize them for not catering to G-Funk fans.  My point is, not only does DPG not have any obligation to G-Funk fans, but they shouldn't even be trying in the first place because it ain't worth it.

G-Funk fans are just dumb muh'fuckas who live in the past and then complain whenever an album doesn't follow the G-Funk blueprint to a tee, and then they wonder why nobody except them is checking for the West anymore.

+1 for speaking the truth

d-nice

« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2006, 02:24:33 PM »
We as west coast fans also need to stop knockin our artists for "their sound". You know why the south sells? Because they did not compromise their sound. They kept it hood and country with the slang and beats. I people love it now. You got people wearing chucks and khakis, using west coast producers and c walkin in they videos (Puff) and they aint even from the west, so that arguement that people do not want or like west coast music is bs. We love Fred Wreck and the dude was nominated along with WSC for Gangsta Nation, but in the same breath we are like "oh nobody around the usa is gonna listen to Fred, or Battlecat or whoever makes beats out here. So what does Fred do? Make a hit with G-Unit on they soundtrack that is a smash AROUND THE COUNTRY! Battlecat? Gangsta Boogie, G'D Up. Those were big songs for Mack and the Eastsidaz. We got some serious heat on the boards and on the mic yall. Support it or don't listen to it.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2006, 02:41:54 PM »
LMFAO at people trying to say this album is heat, this was easily one of the worst albums I have ever heard.  I listened to every track more than once and my opinion that it is utter ass isnt going anywhere. Horrible album and its too bad that some people cant admit that.

dunno about worst album ever, but it is a pretty bad album.

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2006, 02:48:52 PM »
I like the album after two times of hearing... but opinion might change, can't say in what direction ;)
But I hate to mention senseless features on a cover like Nate Dogg for singin "waahoooh" on "Don't Sweat It" or the Cube-Feature, shit sounds like a sample though it's a pretty hot track.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

c-dogg

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2006, 02:48:58 PM »
Gotta admit, i just downloaded it and im feelin guilty as hell, i skipped through some tracks and they sounded pretty tight, so ive deleted it of my computer and im gonna wait for the real thing. I dont really like downloadin albums, its part of the reason most music falls on its ass nowadays. Im not expecting too much from the doggpound, despite "Cali iZ active" other tracks that ive listened to fully havent really impressed me, but id rather wait for the real thing and take time to assess the music instead of sticking it on my I pod and forgetting i have it.

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2006, 03:14:45 PM »
holy shit this is bad, its worse then blood money!! rick rock's beat sucks, most of the verses suck too. oh and the worst song ever created is on this album "Its crackin all night". where did they come up with such a bad song? its pathetic the label let them put such a bad song on a album. Puffy better hope no one hears this song, because it'll destroy his career. bad bad bad album.

The Great Elephant

« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2006, 03:19:40 PM »
not great, but it was at least entertaining.  you guys honestly do sound like haters, but i can kind of see where its coming from.

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2006, 03:20:27 PM »
holy shit this is bad, its worse then blood money!! rick rock's beat sucks, most of the verses suck too. oh and the worst song ever created is on this album "Its crackin all night". where did they come up with such a bad song? its pathetic the label let them put such a bad song on a album. Puffy better hope no one hears this song, because it'll destroy his career. bad bad bad album.

Couldnt agree more, horrible album but on the diddy track kurupt was worse than diddy, ive never heard him sound that bad ever
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:22:24 PM by Spicemuthafuckin1 »

k1000

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2006, 03:21:06 PM »
I like the album after two times of hearing... but opinion might change, can't say in what direction ;)
But I hate to mention senseless features on a cover like Nate Dogg for singin "waahoooh" on "Don't Sweat It" or the Cube-Feature, shit sounds like a sample though it's a pretty hot track.
is that Nate singing those wack "waahoooh"s ?  ;D what a disappointment for those expecting some heat from Nathaniel. Is it me or the "Don't Sweat It" retail version sounds less violentissime than the mixtape track previewed 2 months ago ?