Author Topic: "Gangsta"  The term is being misused in hip-hop.  (Read 657 times)

infinite59

"Gangsta"  The term is being misused in hip-hop.
« on: November 19, 2001, 12:14:58 PM »
Yo, should artists like Fabulous be able to run around talking "That's Gangsta" "I'm Gangsta" claiming that their music is "Gangsta".  This has teenage girls out in the suburbs saying yo, "that's gangsta" and giggling........Yo, Fabulous ain't ever been in or been down with a gang.  And I don't claim to be an expert on gang warfare, but as far as I know gang life is virtually non-existent on the East Coast when compared to the West.  Ever since Pac died it's been accepted to be fake in the rap game.  I'm tired of the cliches.  

westcoastin

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: "Gangsta"  The term is being misused in hip-ho
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2001, 01:08:44 PM »
you know what dogg, i agree with you alot. I think it shouldnt be used the way it has the last couple years.  I hear people say "thats gangsta" all the time, and im like that aint gangsta homie.  but if pac was still around and snoop was still down, then people wouldnt use it so freely(in the rap game)someone needs to step up in the rap game and show people whats up. IMO
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2001, 08:57:29 PM »
gangsta doesn't just mean the west coast interpretation of the word... scarface is gangsta.. but he wasn't in a gang...

Nosak

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Half Dogg,Half Monkey..Bitch! Donkey Kong
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2001, 09:00:39 PM »

gangsta doesn't just mean the west coast interpretation of the word... scarface is gangsta.. but he wasn't in a gang...

true  very true.. n thanks fo puttin the board up once again  :-/
snoop dogg - "i don't fuck with the pocus everybody
knows this , i fuck with the chronic cause the chronic
gives me dopeness"                                   

- Look here bitch you're fine and i dig your style...-

ToNe1904

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2001, 10:33:36 PM »
i agree, im tired of hearin people usin tha word "gangsta" that have no clue wha a gangsta really like. i been hearin too many rapperz frum NY n out that way talkin boout "thas gangsta". i think Shine had a lot tah do wit that shit with that song he released. i think people now cant seperate tha difference between thugz n gangstaz. 2 different thingz. if u a real gangsta, u goan be thugged out. but jus because u thugged out, dont mean u a gangsta. i agree too that when pac was round, it was way more like e'ry region had they OWN style. tha west kept it gangsta, n e'rythang gangsta came frum tha west. NY was doin they own thang, down south was doin they own thang. now everybody think they gangsta. Shit, lil mo think she gangsta LOL. but that wasnt all cus of pac, its jus back then...we was way more seperated on shit. cus pac wasnt no gangsta nowayz. he was a thug yah, but not no gangsta.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2001, 11:03:59 PM »
Shyne was in a gang so I guess he's a gangsta.

Nosak

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Half Dogg,Half Monkey..Bitch! Donkey Kong
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2001, 11:07:27 PM »

Shyne was in a gang so I guess he's a gangsta.
thats gangsta  ;D
snoop dogg - "i don't fuck with the pocus everybody
knows this , i fuck with the chronic cause the chronic
gives me dopeness"                                   

- Look here bitch you're fine and i dig your style...-

ToNe1904

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2001, 11:14:39 PM »
i could care less if Shyne waz in a gang, im jus sayin i think hez a big reason why people frum tha east usin that term. besidez....NY gangbangin. LOL "thas gangsta" huh? Thatz bomedy! lol

I`m Wayne Brady bitch!

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2001, 11:40:46 PM »
I think thesee cats that use the term(when they aint) ruins the pleasure of listening to gangsta rap.Cant they just rhyme about everyday things that really accure to them?Come on,dont even come in here and say ya banginn when ya rap like mase....
Speaking of these fake ass cats,P.Diddy uses the term....That really done crank my style.

infinite59

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2001, 12:21:11 AM »

Shit, lil mo think she gangsta LOL.

Yo, when Lil Mo starts claimin gangsta you know that hip-hop is being exploited in the worst way.  Rap is now a mockery of itself.  2pac wasn't a gansta, but what he did was called out fake muthafucka's in the game.  He would've never let Master P, DMX, Ja Rule, Trick Daddy and all them get away with making a mockery of the game.  Whether that be claimin to be a thug, gangsta, whatever the case may be.

ToNe1904

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2001, 01:30:02 AM »
i feel u on that shit infinite. cept P'z name bein mentioned. i cant stand hiz music no more. but i cant hate on that man. n i think pac wouldnt have eitha. but who knowz. but yah, ja rule, dmx, n trick....yah....them fake azz thugz gotta get gone. at least Jayo finally callin out Jay-Z tho. itz about damn time...

HNIC

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2001, 02:09:01 AM »
you guys take rap way too seriously. the only rap affiliated people that can be labelled as being even remotely 'close' to gangta status are suge, master p, puffy, jay-z etc and me. the reason being is that these people control their business, they got millions, dont take orders and came from the bottom.

rappers are just having fun saying gangsta, its a trendy thing to do - whats up with that?

fabolous is from bk - 'he's gangsta' if you got a problem go to bk and holla. i garantee that you'll go back to bell air with a purple and blue body and stripped down naked with just one sock left on. thats enough said.

infinite59

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2001, 02:14:05 AM »

you guys take rap way too seriously. the only rap affiliated people that can be labelled as being even remotely 'close' to gangta status are suge, master p, puffy, jay-z etc and me. the reason being is that these people control their business, they got millions, dont take orders and came from the bottom.

rappers are just having fun saying gangsta, its a trendy thing to do - whats up with that?

fabolous is from bk - 'he's gangsta' if you got a problem go to bk and holla. i garantee that you'll go back to bell air with a purple and blue body and stripped down naked with just one sock left on. thats enough said.

Yo, if Puffy is gangsta, then Bill Gates is gangsta.  According to your line of reasoning.  

'Gangsta' does not mean powerful, or having money, women, cars, etc., or even being hard, how it ever got confused with those things is beyond me.  

'Gangsta' by definition is a member of a gang of criminals.

HNIC

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2001, 02:43:43 AM »
'being even remotely close to gangsta status - do you listen to my music or just skim through it (jay-z).

puffy is from the ghetto and has probably got some connections - bill gates isnt from the ghetto and has pc and monitor connections.

jwonder

• 'G'
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2001, 04:24:03 AM »

NY gangbangin. LOL

what are you laughing at? how old are you?  NYC has gangs till this day. they don't gangbang like LA but they are still out here. im not talking about the bloods and crips out here in NYC, i'm talking about the orginal gangs like the savage nomads and the savage skulls, the black spades, the cling a lings, the unknowns, young lords and gangs like that..i agree fabolous is not a "gangsta" per se, but neither is dr. dre. and he uses gangsta all the time.. anyway s'all good..just my 2 cents..one