Author Topic: Did Outkast Fall of or what?  (Read 516 times)

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Did Outkast Fall of or what?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2006, 04:20:24 PM »
I was let down by their latest offering......change is good, unfortunately, it didn't work on Idlewild.

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2006, 04:34:53 PM »
i lost all hope on idlewild

ThisJustin

• Lil Geezy
  • 2 Of Amerikaz Most Wanted
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2006, 09:52:36 PM »
I agree with the most here.....andre 3000 needs to go back to straight rappin...none of this Hey Ya shit....Erykah Badu got to his ass alright...1st common now andre?????? Common is still tight though....butbig boi keeps it real...he just needs to stay away from andre's way of music....Hollywood Divorce is the jizzam though!!!!

Sikotic™

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2006, 10:02:56 PM »
I said it before and I'll say it again. Outkast insulted their fans by giving us eack shit this year after dropping 10 years of heat. So the fans gave em the finger by not buying their shit OR watching their wack ass movie.

Don't flip the script on the people who made you what you are.

That's real.

No its not real. Thats bullshit. We need more artists taking chances and doing different shit in rap music. If there was, most rap probably wouldnt be bullshit today. And what you mean they turned their back on the people who made em what they are? Their biggest selling record had the most outlandish material on it of all their albums.
There's a difference between expanding on your music, maintaining its integrity in the process, and feeding your fans some bullshit. If you think Idlewild was a quality album, then you're insane.

Speakerboxxx/Love Below was a great album IMO, one of the best double albums ever. Yes, their music was outlandish on some of those tracks, but that's Outkast. They got an outlandish style of music. Even on SB/LB, they still had some quality to their tracks and you can tell they put their hearts into it. Idlewild didn't have that. It was obviously rushed, and their fanbase couldn't relate to it.

Why else would they go from achieving diamond last album to barely pushing gold this time around?
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Narrator

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2006, 05:06:08 PM »
Speakerboxxx/Love Below was a great album IMO, one of the best double albums ever. Yes, their music was outlandish on some of those tracks, but that's Outkast. They got an outlandish style of music. Even on SB/LB, they still had some quality to their tracks and you can tell they put their hearts into it. Idlewild didn't have that. It was obviously rushed, and their fanbase couldn't relate to it.

"Speakerboxx/Love Below" was just as awful as "Idlewild" for the exact same reason.  I don't see how you can criticize one without criticizing the other.  Well, OK, "Speakerboxx" was decent enough, I'll give you that, but "The Love Below" was awful, pure garbage.  I said it back then, and I continue to say it today.  The fact that that album did well was really a fluke, not to mention the result of some clever but entirely unwarranted hype and critical acclaim.  Seriously, how many people you know that still listen to that bullshit today?  I think one of these days, that entire record (but mostly "The Love Below") is gonna be recognized for what it was - the most overrated shit in hip-hop.

Also remember that Outkast only sold Diamond because it was a double-album; it sold 5 million copies, not 10 million.

I never said just being different makes music good, I said if people took more chances like Outkast does, the music would definitely be better because everybody wouldnt just be copying each other. Originality might not be everything, but its definitely important. Just because juronimo from dubcc.com doesnt like something, doesnt make it bad music either.

Homie, Outkast was ALREADY "different",  Since the beginning of their career, they've been the most unique hip-hop group in the mainstream.  And before "Speakerboxx/The Love Below" came out, every record they put out was dope, too.

Bottom line...it was bad fucking music, not cause it was unique, because it was un-fucking-listenable.  I've heard some of the most unique shit ever that still sucked cause the artist performed it terribly, and I've heard stuff that was highly unoriginal but it still sounded dope.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 05:10:58 PM by Almighty Blackman »

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2006, 05:59:32 PM »
Love Below was an incredible album overall.  The only track I really ever skip on there was that wack shit with Michelle Branch or whoever it was.  Speakerboxx had its really good moments and really weak moments.  Idlewild sucked ass.  I mean it was fucking horrible.

Sikotic™

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2006, 06:18:13 PM »

Also remember that Outkast only sold Diamond because it was a double-album; it sold 5 million copies, not 10 million.

I know. I left that small detail out because it made my argument sound stronger lol.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »
Homie, Outkast was ALREADY "different",  Since the beginning of their career, they've been the most unique hip-hop group in the mainstream.  And before "Speakerboxx/The Love Below" came out, every record they put out was dope, too.

Bottom line...it was bad fucking music, not cause it was unique, because it was un-fucking-listenable.  I've heard some of the most unique shit ever that still sucked cause the artist performed it terribly, and I've heard stuff that was highly unoriginal but it still sounded dope.

I aint even heard Idlewild. The man said they are alienating their fan base by making music thats different than what was expected. All I'm saying is thats what makes Outkast, and we need more artists willing to take chances and experiment. Everytime somebody tries something different, it wont always work, big deal. They'll be back next go round.

Narrator

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2006, 09:08:12 PM »
I aint even heard Idlewild. The man said they are alienating their fan base by making music thats different than what was expected. All I'm saying is thats what makes Outkast, and we need more artists willing to take chances and experiment. Everytime somebody tries something different, it wont always work, big deal. They'll be back next go round.

When he said "different than what was expected", he meant different than what was expected of OUTKAST, not of music in general.  What people expect with Outkast is good quality rapping, not lame-ass Prince-wannabe singing by Andre.

Sikotic™

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2006, 10:54:24 PM »

I aint even heard Idlewild.
If yu haven't even heard Idlewild, then how could you even make an argument?

THA SAUCE HOUSE