Author Topic: RIAA is shutting down mixtape industry  (Read 1222 times)

Quadruple OG

Re: RIAA is shutting down mixtape industry
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2007, 05:36:48 PM »
Should just get a distribution deal.  You can get "official" mixtapes at Best Buy.  I've seen DJ Drama mixtapes and Game Mixtapes (Ghost Unit, SSSL, uknowhatitis 3) in official packaging with barcodes

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2007, 05:39:11 PM »
^ Yeah, I bought an Affiliates mixtape in a legit CD store too. I don't see what's wrong with it, if it's just for the streets?

Plus more than half of mixtapes selling on the streets are bootlegs, so it ain't like they gettin' all that money. ?

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2007, 05:53:27 PM »
For real, for real..

How do you get in touch wit the RIAA, I got some words for them.

Anybody know?

Shawn Nutt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2007, 06:11:34 PM »

haha, let em have it ;)

so is that why everyone has that "FREE DRAMA" pic? they gave him time for selling mixtapes? :o

lilvasquez

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • [Black Wall Street/Presice Music Group]
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2007, 06:26:26 PM »

haha, let em have it ;)

so is that why everyone has that "FREE DRAMA" pic? they gave him time for selling mixtapes? :o
yup

Dubz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2007, 08:21:40 PM »

haha, let em have it ;)

him and cannon are out on $100,000 bond. they got ray lewis' lawyer to defend them i think. the one who defended ray when he popped a bitch or whatever.

Mygla

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2007, 09:10:11 PM »
the mixtape-industry they're aiming at is not the mixtapes of up-and-coming artist putting out their own shit, but the million dollar mixtape industry the major DJ's are running... Drama can't go around bragging about selling a million mixtapes and expect the labels (who OWNS much of the materiale used on mixtape, esp. beats) and artists (who often doesn't get a dime, Lil' Wayne commented on this in some interview) to let it slide... fact is that mixtapes is taking away a biiig share of music market, and when they're bending the rules, they're bound to get fucked.

And the mixtape-game we see in todays hip-hop got nothing to do with the good old running-your-tapes-out-yo-trunk-business, most of the time it's not even original beats on it, but when it is, I don't see the problem in labeling the "mixtape" as a demo or a street-album, if your label won't let you release them, fuck it, you shouldn't have signed the contract if you're so damn eager to get your half-assed material out on the streets.

let me be the first to say "Fuck mixtapes", it's ruining more than it's creating... some up-and-comers push out so many tapes that when their albums finally drop, people are tired of them... Whatever happened to good' ol' hype? Snoop didn't need 100 mixtapes to become a star, neither did Jigga, Nas, Biggie, 2pac+++ They got their hype from guest-appearances, word on the streets, affiliation etc. When was the last time an album came that you were just dying to hear? I can't remember the last time I felt like that, because they all push their leftovers out on the streets a year before the album is finished, and i'm sick of it..

Blah, it's 6 in the morning, i'm tired and annoyed, so alot of that prolly didn't make any sense  :P

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2007, 10:42:02 PM »
Fuck the RIAA. I'm still gonna download everything I can get my hands on and I'll spit in their stupid faces if I ever get caught. They made me spend too much of my hard earned money on shit with their nazi-like regime.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 11:32:27 PM »
You mean now artists will be forced to release original material? It's the end of hip-hop. (no I don't actually feel this way so don't start bitchin')

XaNdEr

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007, 11:41:18 PM »
fuck mixtapes, most of them are bullshit anyways, wow a new drama mixtape with half ass slim thug material or whoever else is on it

fuck that instead of sittin back lazy and doin (almost)  nothing maybe this will stimulate rappers ot make better products (read: cd's) and start makin quality again  ::)

Sikotic™

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2007, 11:42:51 PM »
I was never into mixtapes either with the exception of a few.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

XaNdEr

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2007, 11:48:13 PM »
see, im willing to bet my ass on it that almost anyone on this forum just downloads mixtapes and dont buy them, so what you complaining about anyways, you have no right to say fuck the riaa if you never bought mixtapes anyways....

im with the riaa on this one, cause artists are jackin beats made by producers who spend time and money on it, and then just dont give them credit or any money for it, its just legitimate stealing....fuck that, a producer should get the credit he deserved and his music be respected...

thats my opinion though....*street albums* are different, theyre made of almost all new beats and stuff, like institunialized by ras kass, or street status by stat quo, those arem ixtapes but with original music, so yeah i think they should make some exceptions too

Shawn Nutt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2007, 11:50:51 PM »
so yeah i think they should make some exceptions too

well of course.... theres A LOT of specifics that will have to be sorted out legally before more rappers/dj's get sued... or before producers start suing

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2007, 12:07:29 PM »
I don't feel like quoting peoples shit so Imma speak in General.

#1..I can't believe some of you.

#2..Okay, the East Coast IS mixtapes. It's complete opposite than the west coast when it comes to new hype...As in M.C's...I think anyways, however, no I don't know how shit goes down in the west. I don't know how shit goes down in the South but in the east the mixtapes play a huge role in unsigned hype. I don't understand how it should 'go back to like it was in the old days wit the good old hype'. IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS MC'S WOULD MAKE RECORDS, THROW THEM ON A CD AND SELL THEM, IN THE STREETS, FOR THE STREETS AND IT WOULD CAUSE A HYPE. 'Oh, shit, this nigga is pretty tight' type of things. THEY WOULD MAKE TRACKS WIT THE DJ'S AND CREATE THEY BUZZ. If you know hip hop, mixtapes HAVE and DO play a major part in this CULTURE!

#3..FUCK hip hop. The streets is what made it. The mixtapes are the streets. I mean, I can't even comprehend the fact that people say shit about how mixtapes ain't nothing. I can't even comprehend my own arguments becuz I'm so frustrated.

#4..Mixtapes hold A KEY to one element that we still have in Hip Hop, which is the DJ. Today in this shit we only hear about DJ's when it comes to mixtapes. Taking away mixtapes is taking away another element our CULTURE still has.

#5..HELLOOO I have finally seen what I've been tryin' to ignore...Hip Hop ONLY CARES ABOUT CASH, MONEY, DINERO, THE DOLLAR, BUCKS, PESOS ETC. Hip hop ain't nuthin' but money hungry muthafuckas. It ain't a culture no more. Everythang is about legal shit and the dough. Fuck it.

There is so much to fuckin' talk about but I ain't gonna say no more shit. I'm not tryin' to disrespect people, I'm just being real.

And yes I'm catching feelings, I'm pissed. FUCK THE RIAA! They ARE taking away hip hop.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2007, 12:19:22 PM »
From Wikipedia:
In the 1970s, such DJs as Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Afrika Bambaataa and the Soulsonic Force, Kool Herc and the Herculoids, DJ Breakout, the Funky Four, and DJ Hollywood would often distribute recordings of their club performances via audio cassette, as well as customized recordings (often prepared at exorbitant prices) for individual tape purchasers.

The mixtape format is becoming increasingly popular as a way of generating hype for hip hop artists. Often each track on a promotional hip hop mixtape will feature the same artist, thus making it more difficult to differentiate from the definition of a standard album. However, these mixtapes will usually have much lower production values than a studio album, and contain numerous collaborations, remixes, freestyles and voice-overs, often not arranged in a specific fashion.

Hip hop mixtapes are usually sold on the street or through independent record dealers or mail order, mainly relying on word of mouth to increase the artist's street credibility. An unsigned artist might release several mixtapes to generate buzz, leading to interest from record labels, while a signed artist may release a mixtape to promote a future studio album.