Author Topic: Hip Hop is dead b/c of the fans  (Read 317 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Re: Hip Hop is dead b/c of the fans
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 10:59:37 AM »
Another thing that always gets me is, you say hiphop is dead but yet all the great hiphop that was made years ago is still here, most of it is still relevant, and you can listen to any of it any day of the week.  De La Soul made that album in '93 but I was listening to part of it yesterday, personally.   So hiphop's not really dead, it's as strong as ever, just not really much new happening on a 'great' level. 

Troof.

yeah and there's always a ton of talented artists, but as arts get corporatized less and less talented people get exposed. doesn't mean you can't find dope artists.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 12:07:48 PM »
yeah and there's always a ton of talented artists, but as arts get corporatized less and less talented people get exposed. doesn't mean you can't find dope artists.

Yeah but you'd have to search for them. They ain't out there. And that's not how its supposed to be and its never how it was. They'd have the exposure, now they don't.

WestCoasta

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 12:44:11 PM »
Does anyone remember De La Soul in 1993 ringing the alarm bells about the direction of the evolution of hip-hop?

anyone remember Kool Keith?   his whole career the dude has been saying everything that everyone else is just starting to realize

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 02:42:51 PM »

7.  Beef.... people forgot what battling on wax is about, and how important it is and was the game.  Too the people that dont like beef and what not... it has always beeen part of the game and has produced some of the greatest rap music ever.  And at the same time, rappers that beef over who has more money or who got robbed for there chain, that shit is a cancer.  Battling was never about that stupid shit, now I see cats going crazy over that shit.  Fuckouttahere

well im sure there is a lot more then that, but i dont feel like typing anymore.  4 days without a cig I had to rant and rave about something

I think this brings up a great point, because fans will now diss an artist that they're favorite artist disses. Case in point, the Dipset fans hate on everything Jay-Z & G-Unit related, when in reality, Jay & Fif put out much better music. The sad part is, these fans do not get to be exposed to Jay or G-units music the way they should. They just look at it with a closed mind.

People have fallen in love with the image of rappers more so than there music, and when people take it seriously like that, record sales are gonna fumble. It's a shame.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 02:59:42 PM »

7.  Beef.... people forgot what battling on wax is about, and how important it is and was the game.  Too the people that dont like beef and what not... it has always beeen part of the game and has produced some of the greatest rap music ever.  And at the same time, rappers that beef over who has more money or who got robbed for there chain, that shit is a cancer.  Battling was never about that stupid shit, now I see cats going crazy over that shit.  Fuckouttahere

well im sure there is a lot more then that, but i dont feel like typing anymore.  4 days without a cig I had to rant and rave about something

I think this brings up a great point, because fans will now diss an artist that they're favorite artist disses. Case in point, the Dipset fans hate on everything Jay-Z & G-Unit related, when in reality, Jay & Fif put out much better music. The sad part is, these fans do not get to be exposed to Jay or G-units music the way they should. They just look at it with a closed mind.

People have fallen in love with the image of rappers more so than there music, and when people take it seriously like that, record sales are gonna fumble. It's a shame.

I bump more jay and fif than dip BUT I can see how  cam fans can like cam more than jay and fif...cam is pretty nice.

but regardless, your dismissal of dipset is a perfect illustration of your point. You overlooked cam's talent because of how dipset come across (image centric)...this is the MTV generation, now if a rapper wants to blow up they have to be able to make an entertaining reality show. they have to be pretty cause between youtube and mtv, you're gonna see them all the time. Biggie could NOT NOT NOT have blown up in today's climate. not pretty enough, back then you had a video here and there and an awards show. now there's a reality show, constant interviews, myspace, youtube, bet etc. if you're not enough of an actor, a joker, and an entertainer additional to being a tight rapper than you ain't gonna keep all this attention/buzz on you. That's why a dude like Rakim ain't on TV all the time, he's not about that. he's just about MCing, being an artist and the occasional classy st.ides commercial. So he ain't blowin' up like a chingy that's gonna do a little flatfoot and tapdance on TRL, ya dig?

People ARE way too focused on the rappers persona, looks, image, beefs etc. than their actual artistry. To me the sentence before this one is in the top 5 reasons hip hop today is perceived as 'dead' by many.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 03:26:14 PM »

I bump more jay and fif than dip BUT I can see how  cam fans can like cam more than jay and fif...cam is pretty nice.

but regardless, your dismissal of dipset is a perfect illustration of your point. You overlooked cam's talent because of how dipset come across (image centric)...this is the MTV generation, now if a rapper wants to blow up they have to be able to make an entertaining reality show. they have to be pretty cause between youtube and mtv, you're gonna see them all the time. Biggie could NOT NOT NOT have blown up in today's climate. not pretty enough, back then you had a video here and there and an awards show. now there's a reality show, constant interviews, myspace, youtube, bet etc. if you're not enough of an actor, a joker, and an entertainer additional to being a tight rapper than you ain't gonna keep all this attention/buzz on you. That's why a dude like Rakim ain't on TV all the time, he's not about that. he's just about MCing, being an artist and the occasional classy st.ides commercial. So he ain't blowin' up like a chingy that's gonna do a little flatfoot and tapdance on TRL, ya dig?

People ARE way too focused on the rappers persona, looks, image, beefs etc. than their actual artistry. To me the sentence before this one is in the top 5 reasons hip hop today is perceived as 'dead' by many.

-T

Nah, I fucks with Cam, I just realize that he's a horrendous emcee, no where near on the level of 50 or Jay. U would never catch me saying Juelz or 40 is terrible. Just Cam and Jimmy. Not only that, Cam himself realizes this, which is why he feels the need to fish for beef. 50 killed em on the "Funeral" joint, the way he sent the package to Hot97 was original and funny. Cam is just upset and sad.

Bringin up Rakim in 07 is pointless to me, he may be the GOAT. but he is WASHED  UP now, he would'nt have been on TV anyways...

Another reason I bring up Dipset is because I live in a state that has the most gang members and the most gang related homicides. 30% of the gangbangers where I live are SUBURBAN. I see these little niggas listening to the ignorance of groups like Dipset and wanting to be down with something they are not built for. Dipset relies so heavily on there gangsta image and blood affiliation that sububan white and black kids ( re: the kids with money who actually buy this shit ), really think it's the way to go. It's destroying the quality of music and life at the same time.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 03:28:27 PM »

-T

Nah, I fucks with Cam, I just realize that he's a horrendous emcee, no where near on the level of 50 or Jay. U would never catch me saying Juelz or 40 is terrible. Just Cam and Jimmy. Not only that, Cam himself realizes this, which is why he feels the need to fish for beef. 50 killed em on the "Funeral" joint, the way he sent the package to Hot97 was original and funny. Cam is just upset and sad.

Bringin up Rakim in 07 is pointless to me, he may be the GOAT. but he is WASHED  UP now, he would'nt have been on TV anyways...

Another reason I bring up Dipset is because I live in a state that has the most gang members and the most gang related homicides. 30% of the gangbangers where I live are SUBURBAN. I see these little niggas listening to the ignorance of groups like Dipset and wanting to be down with something they are not built for. Dipset relies so heavily on there gangsta image and blood affiliation that sububan white and black kids ( re: the kids with money who actually buy this shit ), really think it's the way to go. It's destroying the quality of music and life at the same time.

wha? I've always thoght cam was nice from what little i've heard. i thought he murdered 50 lyrically on the first curtis song. His song IBS is brilliantly done too. 50's production is certainly better though.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 03:42:02 PM »

-T

wha? I've always thoght cam was nice from what little i've heard. i thought he murdered 50 lyrically on the first curtis song. His song IBS is brilliantly done too. 50's production is certainly better though.

-T

IBS was very cleverly done. Like I said, i fucks with Cam, I just see him as a crappy rapper who doesn't try. Even though he's capable of delievering a few jewels, it doesn't make up fpr the onosense that fills half of his bars.

He started off in a group with Mase & Big L called children of the corn. he was a raunchy, explicit battle rapper back then. Upon signin with the Roc, he seemingly lost his urge to make good music, and relied on his affiliations to get his fans. I know alot of people will say they love the music, and some do, but mostly they are in love with an image.

I thought "Funeral" was much better lyrically than Cam's song, but in this case I am more of a 50 fan than Cam's. Dipset fans will have a different opion of course.

50 cent is a tried and true lyricist. He does still have lyricals, again on his singles he don't choose to flex it, but people who listen to his music know what I'm talking about. He's good for hip-hop because he appeals to all sides and knows how to spark controversey.

50 is also better at this beefing thing. You hear how mature he was when that little boy Cameron was screaming at him over the phone. The reason I highlited Tommy's #7 reason is because look at how a nigga like Cam gets al emo when beef comes. He made himself look bitter, and starving for attention when he felt the need to call a damn press conference to announce that Jay-Z made him upset, tried to imlicate Jay as having something to do with Cam getting shot. Then, and there is NO way around this, made a COMPLETE and total fool of himself on the radio screaming at 50. Cam=clown

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 03:52:02 PM »

-T

-T

IBS was very cleverly done. Like I said, i fucks with Cam, I just see him as a crappy rapper who doesn't try. Even though he's capable of delievering a few jewels, it doesn't make up fpr the onosense that fills half of his bars.

He started off in a group with Mase & Big L called children of the corn. he was a raunchy, explicit battle rapper back then. Upon signin with the Roc, he seemingly lost his urge to make good music, and relied on his affiliations to get his fans. I know alot of people will say they love the music, and some do, but mostly they are in love with an image.

I thought "Funeral" was much better lyrically than Cam's song, but in this case I am more of a 50 fan than Cam's. Dipset fans will have a different opion of course.

50 cent is a tried and true lyricist. He does still have lyricals, again on his singles he don't choose to flex it, but people who listen to his music know what I'm talking about. He's good for hip-hop because he appeals to all sides and knows how to spark controversey.

50 is also better at this beefing thing. You hear how mature he was when that little boy Cameron was screaming at him over the phone. The reason I highlited Tommy's #7 reason is because look at how a nigga like Cam gets al emo when beef comes. He made himself look bitter, and starving for attention when he felt the need to call a damn press conference to announce that Jay-Z made him upset, tried to imlicate Jay as having something to do with Cam getting shot. Then, and there is NO way around this, made a COMPLETE and total fool of himself on the radio screaming at 50. Cam=clown

i agree that 50 has lyrical skill but i haven't even heard his big l era stuff and i can tell he is a sick lyricist from the songs i've heard. his shit is laid back but still mad lyrical.  i don't think laid back=lazy in a bad way.

50's lyrics were real dope on POTD, pretty dope in GRODT and since then i've heard nothin but lyrical whackness from dude cept on encore and documentary.

better at beefing? yeah 50 is, but just verse  versus verse, i think camron won that shit. but i guess that's the most subjective part of this. and dude all these dudes are clowns. few rappers aren't clowns. 50 is every bit as much of a clown as cam is.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 04:22:32 PM »

-T

-T

i agree that 50 has lyrical skill but i haven't even heard his big l era stuff and i can tell he is a sick lyricist from the songs i've heard. his shit is laid back but still mad lyrical.  i don't think laid back=lazy in a bad way.

50's lyrics were real dope on POTD, pretty dope in GRODT and since then i've heard nothin but lyrical whackness from dude cept on encore and documentary.

better at beefing? yeah 50 is, but just verse  versus verse, i think camron won that shit. but i guess that's the most subjective part of this. and dude all these dudes are clowns. few rappers aren't clowns. 50 is every bit as much of a clown as cam is.

-T

when I say Cam is a lyrical bum, I meant that "rolly polly holly molly" crap he does. That takes over the majority of his songs and from a lyrical standpoint, I rank Cam very low. He is fun to listen too, kinda like DFB or Afroman.

If u need to hear some good 50 verses since the Doc., check Mobb Deep's "creep", "pearly gates", Llyod Bank's "cake", and his verses on the Re-Up. He spits nothin but heat. I would be lying if I said I wasn't hating on G-Unit for a while, but they do hear what the fans say, and have stepped there collective game up. Those are just a couple tracks to check for.

And yeah, it's not easy to argue who won the beef because we are fans, and our opinions are going to be different no matter what. In my personal opinion I though "Funeral Music" video and song were miles ahead of "Curtisss". And I have trouble respecting cam after the way he has handled his beefs. Jimmy too, you saw that DVD where they asked him bout Tru Life and he got all upset and walked away lol.

And yeah, most rappers are clowns, but ALOT ( especially the one's you wouldn't expect ) are still heavily affiliated in the streets.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 04:28:49 PM »

-T

-T

-T

when I say Cam is a lyrical bum, I meant that "rolly polly holly molly" crap he does. That takes over the majority of his songs and from a lyrical standpoint, I rank Cam very low. He is fun to listen too, kinda like DFB or Afroman.

If u need to hear some good 50 verses since the Doc., check Mobb Deep's "creep", "pearly gates", Llyod Bank's "cake", and his verses on the Re-Up. He spits nothin but heat. I would be lying if I said I wasn't hating on G-Unit for a while, but they do hear what the fans say, and have stepped there collective game up. Those are just a couple tracks to check for.

And yeah, it's not easy to argue who won the beef because we are fans, and our opinions are going to be different no matter what. In my personal opinion I though "Funeral Music" video and song were miles ahead of "Curtisss". And I have trouble respecting cam after the way he has handled his beefs. Jimmy too, you saw that DVD where they asked him bout Tru Life and he got all upset and walked away lol.

And yeah, most rappers are clowns, but ALOT ( especially the one's you wouldn't expect ) are still heavily affiliated in the streets.

LOL afroman is the shit too

but either way....I didn't see the dvd with jimmy. and i'm not talkinga bout the video over all songs (i like the beat to funeral music better than curtis' production) but just the actual verses, i was feelin' cam's multis, he stayed on topic, had mad clever lines and punches whereas 50 has no multis, said predictable shit, was less humorous...it was more like 'i'm richer than you' rather than 'i'm doper than you' like a battle should be.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 04:36:45 PM »

-T

-T

-T

but either way....I didn't see the dvd with jimmy. and i'm not talkinga bout the video over all songs (i like the beat to funeral music better than curtis' production) but just the actual verses, i was feelin' cam's multis, he stayed on topic, had mad clever lines and punches whereas 50 has no multis, said predictable shit, was less humorous...it was more like 'i'm richer than you' rather than 'i'm doper than you' like a battle should be.

-T
I see you there. 50 didn't go super hard at Cam, which was another reason why I liked "Funeral" better. He seems to be tauting Cam'ron, and Cam did make a big stink about how Banks & Mobb didn't sell, so that's why 50 brought up the money issue. But again, it's all in personal taste.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 04:39:36 PM »

-T

-T

-T

-T
I see you there. 50 didn't go super hard at Cam, which was another reason why I liked "Funeral" better. He seems to be tauting Cam'ron, and Cam did make a big stink about how Banks & Mobb didn't sell, so that's why 50 brought up the money issue. But again, it's all in personal taste.

word, it is more of a taunt than a diss

LOL that's funny. 'this ain't a diss record. I'm just tauntin' you nigga!"

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Narrator

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 05:52:03 PM »
Y'all are "overcomplexifying" this issue.  It's the fault of the crackers, period.  Whitey fucks up everything he touches.  End of story.

Trauma-san

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 07:00:57 PM »
Y'all are "overcomplexifying" this issue.  It's the fault of the crackers, period.  Whitey fucks up everything he touches.  End of story.
Whitey is responsible for all the hiphop you've ever heard, man.  Fat, Jewish, Old white men produced distributed and managed every rap act in the 80's and most of the ones in the 90's and most of the ones out now.