Author Topic: Thoughts on Dogg Pound after finally hearing the discography  (Read 8916 times)

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
Re: Thoughts on Dogg Pound after finally hearing the discography
« Reply #210 on: February 14, 2008, 05:44:09 PM »
I don't know, I just listened to D&YG1 for the first time and I'm not feelin it. None of the beats really grab me, and Daz and Kurupt both sound like they're just going through the motions imo. When I put on a song from the album I'm never anticipating their verses or anything - i just expect the standard daz/kurupt shit.

Plus, besides Xzibit, Roscoe and Beans there's no features to look forward to/help ease the monotony. No Snoop/Nate on a DPG album just feels wrong.

I did like the following songs: Shit Happens, At Night, DPG, Best Run, Coastin, Livin Gangsta Like, How Many, There's Someway Out

Some others are alright, like Dipp Wit Me & You're Jus a BITCH but most of them drag on for too long - the hooks/beats are weak, and can't sustain the length of the songs. Thats kinda like the album itself - there's too many wack songs and it makes listening to the album as a whole too difficult. I read the TC say earlier that if an album has 10 great songs then its good, but not for me. An album for me has to be consistent from beginning to end... and the countless filler hurts the overall product. Maybe if I burn a shorter version with my favs from 2002 and the solos that came around at the time I might feel it more.

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #211 on: February 14, 2008, 09:24:04 PM »
I don't know, I just listened to D&YG1 for the first time and I'm not feelin it. None of the beats really grab me, and Daz and Kurupt both sound like they're just going through the motions imo. When I put on a song from the album I'm never anticipating their verses or anything - i just expect the standard daz/kurupt shit.

Plus, besides Xzibit, Roscoe and Beans there's no features to look forward to/help ease the monotony. No Snoop/Nate on a DPG album just feels wrong.

I did like the following songs: Shit Happens, At Night, DPG, Best Run, Coastin, Livin Gangsta Like, How Many, There's Someway Out

Some others are alright, like Dipp Wit Me & You're Jus a BITCH but most of them drag on for too long - the hooks/beats are weak, and can't sustain the length of the songs. Thats kinda like the album itself - there's too many wack songs and it makes listening to the album as a whole too difficult. I read the TC say earlier that if an album has 10 great songs then its good, but not for me. An album for me has to be consistent from beginning to end... and the countless filler hurts the overall product. Maybe if I burn a shorter version with my favs from 2002 and the solos that came around at the time I might feel it more.

For me Kurupts lyrics was poor on this album compared to 2002 where he rips every track but most of those songs were Death Row leftovers and he was on top of his game

I thought the beats though were great on Dillinger & Young Gotti but I like 2002 better overall

great thread 8)

Young Old Head

« Reply #212 on: February 15, 2008, 12:40:50 AM »
2002 better than d&yg?!? tha fuck outta here!! 2002 was just some fuckin leftovers n random dpg affiliated b/s...i didn't even sound like a real album to me...more like a wack ass cheap ass compilation...

i loved that d&yg album...i remember bumpin it for months when it came out! i was really feelin it...it still is their best group album after dogg food to me 8)

Cash Money Blood Gang

akcranker - The Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2008, 12:51:36 AM »
Where the fuck is Tanj?  I haven't seen him on here in forever!!!

kuruptDPG

« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2008, 01:49:15 AM »
u forgot tha dogg pound 2002 album, that is a dope album

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #215 on: February 15, 2008, 01:43:19 PM »

Where are you located?

Also look at the time of year....you gotta bump DYG (and most DPG records for that matter) in the summer.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #216 on: February 15, 2008, 01:51:55 PM »

Where are you located?

Also look at the time of year....you gotta bump DYG (and most DPG records for that matter) in the summer.

-T

Vancouver... But I love alot of westcoast shit (thats why I'm on this forum), so I don't see how that should change anything.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 01:55:27 PM by R1ZE »

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #217 on: February 15, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »
Context is everything, man. Bump it in the summer; while driving. Trust.

I usually can't even listen to hip-hop in the winter.
-T

westcoastavengers.com

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #218 on: February 15, 2008, 02:42:09 PM »
these 2 tracks from the last 2 albums have that summertime feel

Cali Iz Active 8)
Its A Good Azz Day 8)

jbel1021

« Reply #219 on: February 15, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »

Cali Iz Active 8)
Its A Good Azz Day 8)

+1 It'z A Good Azz Day had excellent production, but I wasn't too impressed lyrically or by their flow on that.  Cali Iz Active was playing all over the east coast here back when it came out, which I was pleasantly surprised about.

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #220 on: February 15, 2008, 03:37:50 PM »

Cali Iz Active 8)
Its A Good Azz Day 8)

+1 It'z A Good Azz Day had excellent production, but I wasn't too impressed lyrically or by their flow on that.  Cali Iz Active was playing all over the east coast here back when it came out, which I was pleasantly surprised about.

props J 8)

here in LA Cali IZ Active was getting crazy play too but the album didn't sell too well :(

I like that track Don't Sweat It from CIA some good flows on that

HEC

« Reply #221 on: February 15, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »
"Dillinger & Young Gotti" is a personal classic of mine, both the production and the way that Daz and Kurupt trade verses and flow off each other is unbelievable on that album. As far as lyrically Kurupt wasn't really battle rapping like he did on "Dogg Food" he was mostly spitting gangsta verses on this one and it went really well with the whole theme of the album. As far as "2002" goes I enjoyed that album for the unreleased tracks, I know there were a few that were already on "R.A.W." on that one but the joints like "Smoke" and "Every Single Day" are classic Dogg Pound tracks. I though "Dogg Chit" was an improvement over "Cali Iz Active" as far as iit seemed more like a Daz and Kurupt album than a compilation which CIA had the feel of. I know DPG gets alot of hate but overall they have a very tight discography.

Twisted Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SCISSOR-HANDS NIGGA, SLICIN' LIKE BLANCA!!!
« Reply #222 on: February 15, 2008, 04:34:46 PM »
"Dillinger & Young Gotti" is a personal classic of mine, both the production and the way that Daz and Kurupt trade verses and flow off each other is unbelievable on that album. As far as lyrically Kurupt wasn't really battle rapping like he did on "Dogg Food" he was mostly spitting gangsta verses on this one and it went really well with the whole theme of the album. As far as "2002" goes I enjoyed that album for the unreleased tracks, I know there were a few that were already on "R.A.W." on that one but the joints like "Smoke" and "Every Single Day" are classic Dogg Pound tracks. I though "Dogg Chit" was an improvement over "Cali Iz Active" as far as iit seemed more like a Daz and Kurupt album than a compilation which CIA had the feel of. I know DPG gets alot of hate but overall they have a very tight discography.

Co-Sign  8)

Don't Waste Time Hating on Kurupt just because he gets the Appreciation that you think YOUR favorite artist deserves. You should try being more Positive about Life and Post about things that YOU LIKE instead of Whining Like a BITCH. Convert All That Hate into Positive Energy to Promote YOUR # 1 Artist. MUTHAFUCCA!

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #223 on: February 15, 2008, 06:38:49 PM »
I liked CIA better than DC but they both have some heaters.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

jbel1021

« Reply #224 on: February 15, 2008, 07:05:58 PM »
Kurupt really needs to step up lyrically and Daz really needs to step up his production or DPG is gonna end their career on a slump lol.

100 Wayz coming soon...