Author Topic: Virginia: 32 Shot Dead In School Shootout  (Read 5237 times)

Jome

Virginia: 32 Shot Dead In School Shootout
« on: April 16, 2007, 09:39:32 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html  :o :o :o

Chief: At least 20 dead in campus shootings
POSTED: 12:32 p.m. EDT, April 16, 2007

• NEW: Police chief says at least 20 people are dead, some of them students
• University reporting that a suspected shooter is in custody, another sought
• AP: 1 dead, 1 wounded in first reported shooting on Virginia Tech campus
• Student describes situation as "mayhem"; says 2 students jumped from window

(CNN) -- The Virginia Tech Police Chief said at least 20 people were killed in twin shootings on the Blacksburg campus Monday morning.

"Some victims were shot in a classroom," Chief Wendell Flinchum said, adding that the gunman was dead.

President Charles Steger called the shootings "a tragedy of monumental proportions."

A hospital spokeswoman told The Associated Press that 17 Virginia Tech students were being treated for gunshot wounds and other injuries. Sharon Honaker at the Carilion New River Valley Medical Center told CNN that four patients had been transported there, one in critical condition.

One person was killed and others were wounded at multiple locations inside a dormitory about 7:15 a.m., Flinchum said. Two hours later, another shooting at Norris Hall, an engineering building, resulted in multiple casualties, the university reported. (Watch police, ambulances hustle to the scene Video)

The first reported shooting occurred at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a co-ed dormitory that houses 895 students. The dormitory, one of the largest residence halls on the 2,600-acre campus, is located near the drill field and stadium.

Amie Steele, editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, said one of her reporters at the dormitory reported "mass chaos."

The reporter said there were "lots of students running around, going crazy, and the police officers were trying to settle everyone down and keep everything under control," according to Steele.

Kristyn Heiser said she was in class about 9:30 a.m. when she and her classmates saw about six gun-wielding police officers run by a window.

"We were like, 'What's going on?' Because this definitely is a quaint town where stuff doesn't really happen. It's pretty boring here," said Heiser during a phone interview as she sat on her classroom floor.

Student Matt Waldron said he did not hear the gunshots because he was listening to music, but he heard police sirens and saw officers hiding behind trees with their guns drawn.

"They told us to get out of there so we ran across the drill field as quick as we could," he said.

Waldron described the scene on campus as "mayhem." (Watch a student's recording of police responding to loud bangs Video)

"It was kind of scary," he said. "These two kids I guess had panicked and jumped out of the top story window and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground."

Madison Van Duyne said she and her classmates in a media writing class were on "lockdown" in their classrooms. They were huddled in the middle of the classroom, writing stories about the shootings and posting them online.

The university is updating its 26,000 students through e-mails, and an Internet webcam is broadcasting live pictures of the campus.

The shootings came three days after a bomb threat Friday forced the cancellation of classes in three buildings, WDBJ in Roanoke reported. Also, the 100,000-square-foot Torgersen Hall was evacuated April 2 after police received a written bomb threat, The Roanoke Times reported.

After the Monday shootings, students were instructed to stay indoors and away from windows, police at the university said.

"A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows," read a warning from the university.

"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus," a statement on the university Web site said.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:10:29 AM by Jome »

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Virginia: 21 Shot Dead In School Shootout
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 09:47:12 AM »
Columbine pt. 2?  :o
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 09:51:08 AM »
I would never want to go to a suburban school.

We Fly High

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 09:53:02 AM »
supposedly the killer was looking for his gf, and lined up a bunch of students and just started mowin them down. 22 dead, 21 wounded. the gunman is killed already.

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 10:02:48 AM »
R.I.P.
NO MORE WAR

G. Sean Peters

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 10:03:02 AM »
What a fucking dipshit. Not again...

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 11:00:05 AM »
Unbelievable shit....I'm watching CNN, right now they're saying 29 dead.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 11:04:56 AM »
Well my prayers go to dem, can't even go to school to educate yourself no more.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 11:11:36 AM »
Surely after the previous school massacres, certain senior teachers should have been entrusted to keep a weapon on the premises in a secure box, so that they could have averted this massacre. This went on for over 4 hours from what I am hearing and yet no one actually did anything, SWAT never stormed in, I was just listening to a radio interview with a uni student at the campus and he said the cops were hiding behind trees and the SWAT were just in position waiting...waiting for what?. Instead though a great many americans will see this as a reason to ban guns  ::)

Jome

Re: Virginia: 32 Shot Dead In School Shootout
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 11:24:30 AM »
Unbelievable shit....I'm watching CNN, right now they're saying 29 dead.

32 dead is the newest number.

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 12:20:37 PM »
^^^ The man being arrested is definitley the shooter?

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 12:29:55 PM »

From what has been said the shooter killed himself, the man being arrested is probably apart of the normal protocol to arrest people coming out of the building.

Narrator

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 12:37:30 PM »
Wonder what type of gun was used?

GimmeYourShoes

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 12:41:07 PM »
Damn. 30 dead is much more when Marilyn Manson and Doom(the pc game) killed students in 1999. I wonder who was trigger happy this time.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6</a>

Narrator

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 12:42:43 PM »

From what has been said the shooter killed himself, the man being arrested is probably apart of the normal protocol to arrest people coming out of the building.

At least one article I've read indicates the shooter was an Asian male, so they probably went around handcuffing Asian dudes coming out of the building.

Weapons used were reportedly a 9-mm handgun and a Deuce-Deuce.