Author Topic: If NBA players got to vote for the MVP...  (Read 1767 times)

SGV

Re: If NBA players got to vote for the MVP...
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2007, 08:10:58 PM »
Look at the 92-93 year. Jordan led the bulls to the title. Had the most points per game and steals per game for the season and made 1st team all NBA. Jordan had a great season that year, yet, Barkley won the MVP and his team lost to Jordan's in the Finals. Barkley had a bigger impact on his team that season. It was only his first year with them and he brought them up to having the best record in the league. So, it's not always about individual performance.

But since there's talks about the Lakers having bad players around Kobe and all, check this out. Aside from Pippen, who did Jordan have on this team? Grant was good, but he wasn't a stellar player. I think around Jordan, all these guys, who may have just been decent to good players, became strong players who were able to step up when needed.

Michael Jordan     
Scottie Pippen   
Horace Grant       
B.J. Armstrong   
Scott Williams       
Stacey King     
Trent Tucker     
Bill Cartwright 
Will Perdue 
John Paxson
Rodney McCray         
Corey Williams       
Darrell Walker       
Ed Nealy             
Joe Courtney         
Ricky Blanton         
Jo Jo English 

Not too many great names on that roster, but they won the title that year. So if Kobe is supposed to be that great, he would work with what he has and bring them to that point, IMO.

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2007, 08:34:54 PM »
Just because kobe is the "best" player in the L, that doesn't mean he had the best season. Nash had a better year, so did Duncan.

They had better seasons as far as team record goes. But NOBODY had a better season than Kobe this or last season.

I disagree, I will say he is the best, but the MVP SHOULD also have to do with team performance, and the Lakers didn't  have those kind of seasons.

Kobe had to score 50+ points in 4 straight games just for the Lakers to barely beat teams like Memphis/Portland. Take him off the team and the Lakers would probably lose damn near every game. Him just being on the court is what gives them a chance. If thats not the MVP please tell me what is...

A player that can lead his team past the 1st round of the playoffs.

LOL. Is that why Dirk is getting it this year? Is that why Nash got it last year when he was 1 rebound away from being bounced? Please make valid points, a regular season award has nothing to do with how a team does in the playoffs. And AGAIN, it's an INDIVIDUAL award...PeACe

Dirk is getting it for a fact? Damn, we so priveledged to have an NBA insider on our very board. Please make valid points.

It's known that the voting is in Dirk's favor as of now, moron...

Says the NBA sideline reporter HAHAHAHA

teecee

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2007, 10:08:10 PM »
in fact, Lebron was better than Kobe last year too. 

Ahahahahahaha...This is just too much, and it now explains EVERYTHING.
[/quote

What is so absurd about LBJ being better than Kobe? 

LBJ--  30.8 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 5.8 apg last year, not bad really, as far as stat lines go its actually incredible although he fell off a bit this year

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2007, 11:00:23 PM »
-he's done nothing to make his teammates better

He leads the team in assists. And if you watch the Lakers you know his teammates need to be spoon fed (and even when they are Luke/Lamar/Kwame/Evans still have tendencies to miss layups)

-when he went on his little scoring spree the went on losing streaks

Don't get what you're saying here

-we almost were in a position to get booted out of the playoffs

Yeah because 3 of our starters and 2 of our main bench guys were injured at the same time. Kobe was stuck with Andrew Bynum, Brian Cook, Ronny Turiaf, Smush Parker, and Shammond Williams to help him get into the playoffs.

-he's disappeared in the 4th quarter

Of what, one game? When you have to score on damn near every possession night in & night out just for your team to get some points on the board, I'm guessing you'd be pretty worn out by the 4th quarter too.

-doesn't give his tea mates confidence that they can win

I can think of a few times this season that Kobe's given his teammates the ball in big possessions. What about that pass to Brian Cook to send us to O/T against Washington? Or him with that last second pass to Smush Parker to force O/T against the Kings? What more do you want him to do, write them all motivational letters?

1. he leads in assists because the lakers lack a true point guard AND kobe's the one with the ball. i refuse to believe (especially after the begining of the season and the 3 wins in last years playoffs) that the lakers need to be spoon fed. if kobe was a good leader he'd be able to give them the confidence that they obviously lack.
2. when kobe started scoring all these rediculous points after the all star break.....what was the lakers' record, after the all star break i'm talking about??
3. again lack of faith in his players, a leader would be able to facilitate with that and break through in the playoffs, i mean shit we lost to some BAAAD teams this year. also what happened to everyone saying the lakers have awesome players?? now they're bad?? which is it!??
4. if kobe was able to instill confidence in his players like he did in last years playoffs (which he also dissappeared) he wouldn't HAVE to be worn down by the 4th quarter.
5. those are a FEW examples against some PRETTY mediocre teams LOl. wow we shouldn't have even been in those possitions against them if we had the "MVP" on our team. again those are only a FEW examples, they did work yeah, but it's not consistant enough ....that should be OBVIOUS

CRAP like that is exactly why Nash is un-deservedly a 2 time MVP. If Kobe's teammates play like ass you can't place all the blame on him just because he's the leader of the team. McGrady had what 29 points & 13 assists in game 7 vs Utah...are you gonna say its his fault they lost that game?

but see here's where nash and kobe differ. when nash is in the game the suns succeed and soar to heights that beat teams like the spurs. when kobe is on the team you don't know if they're going to beat the mavs or lose to the grizzlies.
  about mcgrady, he did all he could do, and it can be admired what he did, he took the jazz to 7 games. yes at the end of the day the blame falls on him since he IS the leader but the blame is a little less when he's proved to be a winner on that team this year. there wasn't a complete collapse like with the lakers all year.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2007, 11:09:29 PM »
Nash helps to MAKE his teammates better imo, so that does qualify him as an MVP candidate.

So by your standards, only point guards should win the MVP... ::)

unless your name is jason kidd most point guards in this league arn't throwing out 13 -15 dimes and putting up 20 points

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2007, 11:30:27 PM »
Nash helps to MAKE his teammates better imo, so that does qualify him as an MVP candidate.

So by your standards, only point guards should win the MVP... ::)

unless your name is jason kidd most point guards in this league arn't throwing out 13 -15 dimes and putting up 20 points

Kidd usually doesn't even score 15 in games, but he is an MVP quality player as well. He could have won in his 1st season with NJ.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2007, 12:17:52 AM »
Look at the 92-93 year. Jordan led the bulls to the title. Had the most points per game and steals per game for the season and made 1st team all NBA. Jordan had a great season that year, yet, Barkley won the MVP and his team lost to Jordan's in the Finals. Barkley had a bigger impact on his team that season. It was only his first year with them and he brought them up to having the best record in the league. So, it's not always about individual performance.

But since there's talks about the Lakers having bad players around Kobe and all, check this out. Aside from Pippen, who did Jordan have on this team? Grant was good, but he wasn't a stellar player. I think around Jordan, all these guys, who may have just been decent to good players, became strong players who were able to step up when needed.

Michael Jordan     
Scottie Pippen   
Horace Grant       
B.J. Armstrong   
Scott Williams       
Stacey King     
Trent Tucker     
Bill Cartwright 
Will Perdue 
John Paxson
Rodney McCray         
Corey Williams       
Darrell Walker       
Ed Nealy             
Joe Courtney         
Ricky Blanton         
Jo Jo English 

Not too many great names on that roster, but they won the title that year. So if Kobe is supposed to be that great, he would work with what he has and bring them to that point, IMO.

Are you kidding me? The Bulls ALWAYS had consistant role players when they won rings, excellent bigs (Horace Grant, Dennis Rodman), great shooters (Toni Kukoc, Steve Kerr, John Paxson), reliable point guards (BJ Armstrong, Ron Harper), etc. etc. They were BUILT to win. It's crazy to say otherwise. When Jordan played with bums, before he hit his 30's, he always got bounced in the playoffs.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2007, 12:19:56 AM »

What is so absurd about LBJ being better than Kobe? 

LBJ--  30.8 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 5.8 apg last year, not bad really, as far as stat lines go its actually incredible although he fell off a bit this year

Kobe had a way more spectacular season, even haters admit this. Are you honestly denying that?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2007, 12:23:21 AM »
-he's done nothing to make his teammates better

He leads the team in assists. And if you watch the Lakers you know his teammates need to be spoon fed (and even when they are Luke/Lamar/Kwame/Evans still have tendencies to miss layups)

-when he went on his little scoring spree the went on losing streaks

Don't get what you're saying here

-we almost were in a position to get booted out of the playoffs

Yeah because 3 of our starters and 2 of our main bench guys were injured at the same time. Kobe was stuck with Andrew Bynum, Brian Cook, Ronny Turiaf, Smush Parker, and Shammond Williams to help him get into the playoffs.

-he's disappeared in the 4th quarter

Of what, one game? When you have to score on damn near every possession night in & night out just for your team to get some points on the board, I'm guessing you'd be pretty worn out by the 4th quarter too.

-doesn't give his tea mates confidence that they can win

I can think of a few times this season that Kobe's given his teammates the ball in big possessions. What about that pass to Brian Cook to send us to O/T against Washington? Or him with that last second pass to Smush Parker to force O/T against the Kings? What more do you want him to do, write them all motivational letters?

1. he leads in assists because the lakers lack a true point guard AND kobe's the one with the ball. i refuse to believe (especially after the begining of the season and the 3 wins in last years playoffs) that the lakers need to be spoon fed. if kobe was a good leader he'd be able to give them the confidence that they obviously lack.
2. when kobe started scoring all these rediculous points after the all star break.....what was the lakers' record, after the all star break i'm talking about??
3. again lack of faith in his players, a leader would be able to facilitate with that and break through in the playoffs, i mean shit we lost to some BAAAD teams this year. also what happened to everyone saying the lakers have awesome players?? now they're bad?? which is it!??
4. if kobe was able to instill confidence in his players like he did in last years playoffs (which he also dissappeared) he wouldn't HAVE to be worn down by the 4th quarter.
5. those are a FEW examples against some PRETTY mediocre teams LOl. wow we shouldn't have even been in those possitions against them if we had the "MVP" on our team. again those are only a FEW examples, they did work yeah, but it's not consistant enough ....that should be OBVIOUS

CRAP like that is exactly why Nash is un-deservedly a 2 time MVP. If Kobe's teammates play like ass you can't place all the blame on him just because he's the leader of the team. McGrady had what 29 points & 13 assists in game 7 vs Utah...are you gonna say its his fault they lost that game?

but see here's where nash and kobe differ. when nash is in the game the suns succeed and soar to heights that beat teams like the spurs. when kobe is on the team you don't know if they're going to beat the mavs or lose to the grizzlies.
  about mcgrady, he did all he could do, and it can be admired what he did, he took the jazz to 7 games. yes at the end of the day the blame falls on him since he IS the leader but the blame is a little less when he's proved to be a winner on that team this year. there wasn't a complete collapse like with the lakers all year.

Once again, Jacob, ignoring the fact that the Lakers not only had holes they needed to fill in the roster, but the worst season as a team inury-wise in franchise history. Stop blaming the best player in the game and come to your senses...Kobe would dominate the league with the right team built around him. You're right. 1-on-5 wont work, and Kobe doesn't like to play that...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 12:30:32 AM by Now_I_Know »

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2007, 12:41:24 AM »
those  excuses are being built up too big IMO though, because WHEN healthy they never played together as a team, they still played as a one man show.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2007, 12:45:39 AM »
those  excuses are being built up too big IMO though, because WHEN healthy they never played together as a team, they still played as a one man show.

LMAO. Then you missed the first half of the season.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2007, 12:54:58 AM »
when lamar was the shit and kobe was hurt  8)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2007, 01:05:08 AM »
when lamar was the shit and kobe was hurt  8)

Kobe was hurt for two games. I hope you're not implying Lamar is better than Kobe. :-X

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2007, 01:07:37 AM »
no but he'd be a better leader

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2007, 01:12:03 AM »
no but he'd be a better leader

LOL!