Author Topic: MTV News: Hottest MCs In The Game  (Read 1534 times)

westkoastanostra

Re: MTV News: Hottest MCs In The Game
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 09:20:47 AM »
the list keeps getting stupider...what a joke...straight mainstream bs

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 09:22:47 AM »
^^ what do u expect `?

kemizt

GimmeYourShoes

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 10:43:04 AM »
The Dipset capo may not have raw skills like some of the other MCs on this list, but what he lacks in a traditional category like lyrical ability, he more than compensates with his overall passion and swagger for the game. He launched the whole rock-star-in-the-'hood movement: From his skull-and-bones look down to his chained wallet, Jones has more clones on the block than an old zombie flick.
You don't have to be able to rap to become certified as one of the hottest MC's in the game by MTV. Just dressing like a queerbait and shouting one word is good enough.
I have never taken MTV's listings seriously.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:18:41 PM by gimmeyourshoes »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6</a>

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2007, 07:27:39 PM »
Kanye West

Why He's Hot
Exhibit one: his long reach and indomitable star power. Not too many acts on this list are famous or crafty enough as showmen to rip the stage at New Jersey's Giants Stadium with Swizz Beatz during the hip-hop mega-fest Summer Jam concert — and then turn around a few weeks later at the same venue and catch more wreck with the Police and John Mayer during the rock-heavy Live Earth concert.

Exhibit two: determination. Obviously talent has a lot to do with it, but Mr. West prides himself on being rap's most un-wack artist and isn't afraid to put in the work to be sure it stays that way. Kanye has admitted that last summer, when he appeared on the records "Impossible" (featuring Twista, Keyshia Cole and BJ) and Pharrell's "Number One," the lukewarm reaction to the songs wasn't quite what he bargained for. Then there was the infamous MTV Europe Music Awards incident (in which he threw a tantrum over losing the Best Video award) and all the backlash he was receiving on blogs. So there he was: a multiple Grammy winner, production genius (just ask Jay-Z) and self-professed fashion guru with no heat on him — at least not the kind of heat he wanted. Sure, he was performing for 60,000-70,000 people a night in stadiums across the world opening shows for U2 and the Rolling Stones, but even the Louis Vuitton Don knows that if the streets — and granted, he probably has the most diverse fanbase of anyone on this list — aren't screaming your name, you're only going to go so far.

So Kanye started the campaign for his forthcoming Graduation album from the ground up a few months ago. He jacked Rich Boy's "Throw Some D's" (an early contender for song of 2007) and made it his own by replacing the Alabama rapper's easy speak about vehicles with his own humorous take on breast augmentation. A straight-to-the-Net video followed and all of a sudden, his climate started warming up. After a few other underground offerings, Kanye's real turning point came in late spring when he dropped the first record from Graduation, "Can't Tell Me Nothing," a sharp-witted slugfest of punch lines ("I'm just saying how I feel man/ I ain't one of the Cosbys, I ain't go to Hillman") where once again he shows mic improvement and brings the everyman mentality into the mix. Who can't relate to the chorus where he dreams about getting his "money right"? 'Ye should have a bit more to spend on his clothes over the next few months — the remix to "Can't Tell Me Nothing" with Young Jeezy displays even slicker rhymes ("K. Slay-ed 'em") and more swag. His new single "Stronger" is becoming such a big summer anthem, it was even heard on a recent episode of "Entourage."

Kanye's final trump card is not that he's still shining as one of hip-hop's top producers (his work on Common's Finding Forever has been lauded as classic), but he's thrown himself in the ring with 50 Cent for a showdown at stores on September 11, when both their LPs drop. It's going to be tight, but with 'Ye playing Rocky Balboa to SoundScan killer 50 Cent's Clubber Lang, some are saying West may actually win in the first week.

Co-Signer: Game
"Top MCs? Kanye West. I think because he's a producer also, a lot of people discredit him for what he does. But he's dope time and time again. He creates hits for other people and for himself. It's not like he's a stingy producer and keeps all the hits for himself like other producers out there. But Kanye is dope. When I see him, I feel like I'm in the presence of a legend. When I look at artist that I f--- with, I look at it from a fan's standpoint. I really got a lot of respect for that dude. I hope people get the picture on his next album if they haven't already. I think his contribution has been catastrophic, I'm glad to coexist with a MC like that."

Blistering Ballistics
"Class started two hours ago, oh, am I late?/ You know I already graduated/ And you can live through anything if Magic made it/ They say I talk with so much emphasis/ Ooh, they so sensitive/ Don't ever fix your lips like collagen/ Say something, you gon' end up apolog'in" ("Can't Tell Me Nothing")

Hot Streak

* Albums

N/A (Graduation comes out September 11.)

* Selected Mixtapes

Can't Tell Me Nothing

* Singles

"Can't Tell Me Nothing," "Stronger"

* Street Bangers

N/A

* Key Guest Appearances

Rich Boy's "Throw Some D's" unofficial remix, Ne-Yo's "Because of You" remix, Game's "Wouldn't Get Far," Nas' "Still Dreaming"

* Business Ventures

CEO of GOOD Music; executive producer and producer of Common's Finding Forever; CEO of Pastel clothing line.

* Tours

Opened dates on the Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang Tour and U2's Vertigo Tour

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andre 3000

Why He's Hot
Brain trust member Sean Lee said it best: "Every verse is an instant event." Over the past year, Andre Benjamin hasn't been the most prolific MC by any means (he might have been vying for the #1 spot if we had more material to judge him on — we're that confident in his abilities), but as far as instantly grabbing your attention, stealing the show and plain old stunting with skills, 3000 has been the man. Just a couple of years ago, people were questioning whether Mr. Three Stacks would abandon rapping altogether in favor of singing. Last year, however, he went into MC mode on the "Idlewild" soundtrack and has been jamming ever since. All of a sudden, we're reminded exactly why he is a legend.

Dre's real shine over the past year has come from his guest appearances. His cameos have been as random and surprising as they are gripping and stylistic, blessing songs from newcomers like DJ Unk to fellow veterans such as UGK. Each rhyme feels as natural as a phone conversation with your best friend: his subject matter covers music downloading, meeting his dream girl at the altar and guys who wear white T-shirts that look like long nightgowns. Like another guy on our list, Jay-Z, Dre has already done everything musically there is to do for an MC. He and Big Boi have already been tapped as the fourth Greatest Hip-Hop Group of All-Time, and his half of Outkast's Speakerboxxx/ The Love Below has won Grammys, bountiful praise and spawned one of the most popular songs of the decade in "Hey Ya!" Still, as a fan, it's refreshing to know that there is still a guy or two from the golden era of the mid-1990s that, when focused, can give you goose bumps every time you hear him, and still can lyrically batter most of the competition.

Co-Signer: Jay-Z
"I hear the hunger. That's what happens for a minute, if you're doing something and doing it for so long, sometimes you get burned out. You get burned out from doing it at such a high level for so long, you have to let it go so you can miss it a little bit, and then you can come back to it. You could tell right now he has that hunger, and he sounds great."

Blistering Ballistics
"I'm so like a Pip, I'm glad it's night/ So the light from the sun would not burn me on my bum/ When I shoot the moon, high-jump the broom/ Like a preemie out the womb/ My partner yellin', 'Too soon! Don't do it!/ Reconsider! Read some liter-a-ture! On the subject'/ You sure? F--- it/ You know we got your back like chiroprac-tic" (from UGK's "Int'l Players Anthem"))

Hot Streak

* Albums

Idlewild (2006)

* Selected Mixtapes

N/A

* Singles

N/A

* Street Bangers

"Mighty O," "Hollywood Divorce"

* Key Guest Appearances

Lloyd's "You" remix, DJ Unk's "Walk It Out" remix, UGK's "Int'l Players Anthem," Devin the Dude's "What a Job," Rich Boy's "Throw Some D's" remix

* Business Ventures

Co-creator and star of the Cartoon Network series "Class of 3000," co-star of upcoming comedy "Semi-Pro."

* Tours

N/A (He says he's taking a looooooong hiatus from the stage.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Game

Why He's Hot
Look for plumes of smoke when Game's in the vicinity: chances are the Compton, California, native is somewhere nearby, bodying a track. Lyrically, he has stayed aggressive enough to continue to pester and defame the entire G-Unit by himself, and stave off any talk that he couldn't have a successful career without the backing of his former camp-mates. Game's mic draws a lot from his vast respect for and knowledge of hip-hop's rich history, and quite frankly, his mouth is unpredictable. He's maintained fearlessness and sometimes alluring recklessness on commercial releases such as "Wouldn't Get Far" and underground blasters like "Body Bags."

On the mixtape circuit, he has stayed omnipresent — like a new MC who was hungry to be deemed nice by the community — by releasing street CDs and DVDs. And so what if Doctor's Advocate didn't have a huge #1 single or sell as much as his timeless debut, the blockbuster Documentary? Game's second album was still a classic and solidified him as one of today's elite. Easily one of the top five hip-hop albums to drop in the past year, with The Documentary, the man who once called himself "the Hurricane" launched impressively tormenting narratives of torrential times in records like "Ol' English," "Doctor's Advocate" and "One Night," while "It's Okay (One Blood)" fractured concrete and eardrums alike. The song's remix was one of the biggest in history, with more than 20 artists wanting to be down with the event.

Game did disappoint the fans bigtime, though, with just one statement. For now, he's saying that he's not giving himself a chance to become a legend — that his next album will be his last. But he has been known to change his mind, so let's not hold him to his word on that one.

Co-Signer: Jim Jones
"[I first heard of him because] the homies from the city, they was like, 'You heard this kid Game? I think he's Eazy-E's son! He's spitting hard. He's riding that vibe.' I reached out to him, the feelings was mutual. He flew to New York, one of his first trips to NYC. I scooped him up. We been locked in ever since. I respect his hustle, his grind. Above all else, he knew what goal he had to achieve. [After he left G-Unit,] it was like when Ice Cube had to leave [N.W.A]. He was over on the East Coast for a while, got his mind together, he came back and slaughtered. [Game] absorbed the game and did what he had to do to execute it. He still popped off. Now he's about to retire, so he must have his paper together."

Blistering Ballistics
"I thought you loved me n---a, talk is cheap/ Remember, the bullet holes in my son's car seat?/ My baby mama found four shells/ I ain't get one 'Keep your head up,' all I got was 'Keep it real'/ Keep it real, my n---as?/ Last year alone I spent 1.5 mil on my n---as/ After the bullsh--, I stayed right there/ Took you to award shows, there go Jay right there/ 'Where?' 'Right there!'/ I had all you n---as in suits, cleaner than a pair of fresh Nike Airs." ("One Night")

Hot Streak

* Albums

Doctor's Advocate (2006)

* Selected Mixtapes

YouKnowWhatItIs, Vol. 3 and 4

* Singles
      "It's Okay (One Blood)," "Wouldn't Get Far" (featuring Kanye West), "Let's Ride"

* Street Bangers

"It's Okay (One Blood)" remix, "Too Much" (featuring Nate Dogg), "Compton," "Why You Hate the Game" (featuring Nas)

* Key Guest Appearances

Nas' "Hustlers"

* Business Ventures

CEO of Black Wall Street Records

* Tours

Various

T.I.

Why He's Hot
A two-time Grammy Award winner, T.I. is the most across-the-board star on the list: He's got headline-making rebelliousness, movie-star swagger, A-class street credibility. He's a female-friendly heartthrob, a burgeoning businessman and most importantly a stylistic lyricist who can nourish the intelligence of the thinking-man rap fanatic, but still be able to consistently deliver commercially viable 'hood hymns that could easily roll off the tongue of your child or grandmother.

Some things are impossible to front on, and for the King of the South, now is simply his time. Last year, the moon and the stars aligned at the same time the fans' interest piqued: T.I. could be seen in his Hollywood debut "ATL" in the same week his biggest-selling album to date, King (also the biggest-selling hip-hop album of 2006), hit stores and went gold within seven days. His visibility — due to constant shows and major singles, such as "Why You Wanna," "My Love" and the remix to "Top Back" — helped him ride the momentum all the way to the recently released T.I. vs. T.I.P. The album also went gold in its first week and became just the third hip-hop LP this year to debut at #1 on the Billboard albums chart, and was the first to stay at the perch for two consecutive weeks. Think he's not doing at least another 2 mil?

Not only did T.I. vs. T.I.P. show his willingness to grow outside his comfort zone (producers he's never worked with before, such as Wyclef Jean, replaced longtime collaborators such as DJ Toomp; the album was a concept where he raps both against and with himself), but it stunt-astically displayed his pull. He'll probably be the only MC in history to get Eminem, Jay-Z and Nelly to all appear on one project.

But maybe Tip's most admirable attribute this year was his ability to display fortitude through the tragic losses of both his best friend and daughter. He took some time off, then came back not just holding onto his career, but doing something a lot of rappers five albums deep have found almost impossible: remain current and at the forefront of the game. The fiery Atlanta representative's reign isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Look for him to get even bigger as this year progresses. There's the film "American Gangster" with Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe and Common coming November 2; more singles from T.I. vs. T.I.P.; and his label, Grand Hustle Records, has a slew of releases on the way, chief among them the debut from the number-one mixtape DJ (and T.I.'s own personal spinner), Drama.

Co-Signer: Lil Wayne
"I don't listen to rap. But who be spitting? In this era, Young Jeezy and T.I. for sure. I listen to they sh-- all day. Tip, to me, if it ain't me [at #1], it's Tip. Real talk: I listen to all Tip's music and I try to stay sharp. I don't even listen to it as a fan — which I am. I listen to Tip more as a scout or a competitor of music. I'm trying to see how sharp is he — and he's very sharp! If you think I'm great or whatever, it's because he's great."

Blistering Ballistics
T.I.: "You could beat a hundred cases, catch one and you f---ed."
T.I.P.: "Man, I get probation."
T.I.: "Is you crazy? Pull a gun in the club/ See how many folks and polices put you down in the club/ If we gotta come with a slug, why we come to the club?/ How much more of this sh-- you think we can sweep under the rug?/ Look, we already told them, 'I told you so.' "
T.I.P.: "But all these n---as speakin' out who wouldn't spoke befo'."
T.I.: "Don't take it personal, people wanna be close to folk/ What you think the televisions and the posters fo'?
T.I.P.: "Yeahhh man, I'm claustrophobic, though."
T.I.: "Well you need to see a doctor for it/ And I ain't jokin', you close Tip and you 'bout to blow it." ("Respect This Hustle")

Hot Streak

* Albums

King (2006), T.I. vs. T.I.P. (2007)

* Selected Mixtapes

N/A

* Singles

"Big Things Poppin'," "You Know What It Is," "Why You Wanna," "Live in the Sky" (featuring Jamie Foxx)

* Street Bangers

"Top Back" (remix), "Watch What You Say to Me" (featuring Jay-Z)

* Key Guest Appearances

Justin Timberlake's "My Love," R. Kelly's "I'mma Flirt," DJ Khaled's "We Takin' Over," DJ Drama's "Takin' Pictures," Jim Jones' "We Fly High" remix

* Business Ventures

CEO of Grand Hustle Records; co-CEO of AKOO clothing line

* Tours

Screamfest '07, among others

Lil Wayne

Why He's Hot
Lil Wayne has distanced himself from his peer group simply by embracing his love for rap with open arms — much like the way the lovably rotund Mabel Thomas used to lovingly squeeze her son Roger on "What's Happening!!" Last year MTV News unofficially stamped Weezy F. Baby as the hottest MC on the planet, but now we've pulled out all the bells and whistles! We had to: When the MTV News hip-hop brain trust started coming up with this competition, Wayne was #1 on just about everyone's list. He's undeniable to us, the fans and the rest of the rappers out there.

His volume of recent work has kept us on our toes. You never know if he's going to drop an official record or just throw some heat out to the streets for free, just because. Although he hasn't dropped a solo LP in two years, he put out the duet LP with his dad, Baby a.k.a Birdman, Like Father, Like Son, in October and still records practically every day, whether for his own projects or the many dozens of guest-appearance requests he tries to fulfill.

But we're not applauding the 24-year-old MC just for having created the largest body of work of any of his peers in the past year — it's the overwhelming quality of that quantity. The New Orleans native rarely turns down requests for cameos, so in the last year alone we've heard him with a mind-boggling array of performers, from Robin Thicke, Mya, Enrique Iglesias and Gym Class Heroes all the way to the heart of 'hood with Rick Ross, Ja Rule, Young Jeezy and even the Shop Boyz.

With all the verse-hustling he does, you'd think Wayne would be in danger of burning out, but as he told us himself, you don't have to worry about that if everything you put out is hot — and sounds totally different. Weezy's microphone assaults have been as diverse in attack formation as they have been lyrically striking. His flows have come in the form of everything from spoken-word street poetry ("Dying"), a reggae chat mixed with French patois (Swizz Beatz's "It's Me B----es" remix) or even halfway singing (his "Sky's the Limit" freestyle). Meanwhile, Wayne has been at his lyrical zenith with superlative wordplay that hearkens back to the days when fly MCs like Redman and Grand Puba were in abundance and metaphors used to fly on wax with regularity ("sticking to the script like java"). His lyrics include keep-you-on-your-toes subject matter that ranges from the effects of intoxication to sexually unabashed groupies; from kissing Baby to President Bush being America's #1 villain.

Co-Signer: Kanye West
"Everybody is going to start with Lil Wayne. When I heard there was a [hottest MCs] list, I said, 'You going to start with Wayne then work your way down.' He delivers so many verses. The amount of work he puts in! I sat with Wayne working on his album and was like, 'Do you go on vacations?' He said, 'Nah, this is what I do. I dedicate my life to this ... I think a lot of people don't take being a pop star or rap star serious enough. Because it could be easy, you do a couple of records then you chill out. Nah, let's not chill. Let's do what we can to make sure this art is alive and take advantage of the moment.' "

Blistering Ballistics
"I am the beast/ Feed me rappers or feed me beats/ I'm untamed, I need a leash/ I'm insane, I need a shrink/ I love brain, I need a leech/ Why complain on easy street?/ I don't even talk, I let the Visa speak/ And I like my Sprite Easter pink" ("We Takin' Over")

Hot Streak

* Albums

Like Father, Like Son (with Birdman) (2006)

* Selected Mixtapes

Da Drought 3, too many other mixtape appearances to name (check the Mixtape Monday archive)

* Singles

"Stuntin' Like My Daddy," "Leather So Soft," "You Ain't Know"

* Street Bangers

"Boom," "Dying," "Prostitute Flange"

* Key Guest Appearances

DJ Khaled's "We Takin' Over" and "Brown Paper Bag," Lloyd's "You," Ja Rule's "Uh Oh," Fat Joe's "Make It Rain," Swizz Beatz's "It's Me B---hes" remix

* Business Ventures

CEO of Young Money Entertainment; has a champagne coming soon

* Tours

Young Jeezy's I Am the Street Dream tour, among others

Invincible

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2007, 07:34:37 PM »
Lil Wayne = #1 - Bullshit. So overrated.

Lunatic

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2007, 07:48:30 PM »
Lil Wayne = #1 - Bullshit. So overrated.

Yea, I don't think he's #1, but i'm not surprised at all...i see ppl walking around talkin like he the 2nd coming of jesus...I think in the end he gonna fuck himself over, jumpin on everything...eventually ppl will get tired of u, no matter how dope they think

The biggest problem with this list is the absence of Chamillionaire :o
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2007, 08:15:36 PM »
I had never heard the word "swagger" used so many times in 30 minutes until I watched the show today. It basically proves that in 2007, "swagger" is much more important than making good songs, albums, and music period. They even showed Jeezy saying something like "nowadays, it doesn't matter if you make good albums" or somethin...I was like wtf???

Blu Lacez

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2007, 08:44:58 PM »
I had never heard the word "swagger" used so many times in 30 minutes until I watched the show today. It basically proves that in 2007, "swagger" is much more important than making good songs, albums, and music period. They even showed Jeezy saying something like "nowadays, it doesn't matter if you make good albums" or somethin...I was like wtf???

Dang, Homie, Ya Just Summed it Up for me!!!
It's Pretty Sad Really!!
If this is any indication, music of the near future will have very little sustance!!

WHere Did They Rate Snoop, Cube..on that List???

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2007, 08:58:14 PM »

WHere Did They Rate Snoop, Cube..on that List???
Nowhere..

Blu Lacez

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2007, 09:08:08 PM »

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2007, 10:08:51 PM »

kemizt

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2007, 06:30:56 AM »

snopafly

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2007, 08:52:41 AM »
wow this is a damn joke, that list is stupid..I hate those mtv who is best list.. Andre 3000 wtf lil wayne at number 1?? I am still surprised that Snoop dogg didt end up on that list Andre 3000 did and mike Jones... ::)

Okka

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2007, 01:37:53 PM »
Fuck that list

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2007, 01:59:33 PM »

LMFAO! Damn!