Author Topic: Proof that vinyl sound better than CD  (Read 509 times)

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Proof that vinyl sound better than CD
« on: August 06, 2007, 02:42:04 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/g5dCMz4gKLI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/g5dCMz4gKLI</a>

NotoriousTDA

Re: Proof that vinyl sound better than CD
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 03:55:24 PM »
interesting

devil_may_care

• 'G'
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 05:16:57 PM »
Yeah, you definitely got a clearer sound with the vinyl

E-L-P

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 21 & Over
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 07:02:36 PM »
Daft Punk is the shit!!!
My Future Wife:

AboveTheLaw

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 07:25:25 PM »
Hahaha, on the real though a lot of audiophiles don't even have a CD collection, they'll claim more than anyone else that vinyl is much smoother and more pleasing to the ear than any overly bright and sterilized CD of the same album.

TRG

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 08:38:56 PM »

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 01:41:10 AM »
Wtf lol, cd's dont work like that haha!!!

Vegasmac25

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 01:43:41 AM »
its true though Vinyl is much more clearer than CD.

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 03:37:52 AM »
Hahaha, on the real though a lot of audiophiles don't even have a CD collection, they'll claim more than anyone else that vinyl is much smoother and more pleasing to the ear than any overly bright and sterilized CD of the same album.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hw2bgTj2s-M" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Hw2bgTj2s-M</a>

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 03:54:43 AM »
Vinyl is much easier to ruin because it's a softer material than that used to make CDs. The consistant friction from the needle causes gouging and vinyl scratches and breaks a whole lot easier than CDs. PLUS, no matter how perfect the vinyl is that you have purchased, it will sound like shit if you don't have the correct needle to play it with.

With that said, if every aspect is perfect when playing vinyl, then yes it is a much better medium to use when listening to music than with CDs.

StevenQBosell

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 07:23:31 AM »
Vinyl is much easier to ruin because it's a softer material than that used to make CDs. The consistant friction from the needle causes gouging and vinyl scratches and breaks a whole lot easier than CDs. PLUS, no matter how perfect the vinyl is that you have purchased, it will sound like shit if you don't have the correct needle to play it with.

With that said, if every aspect is perfect when playing vinyl, then yes it is a much better medium to use when listening to music than with CDs.

As a producer, I can say sometimes viny samplesl has a "warmth" that CD's just can't pick up; with that siad, I don't think anyone can argue with the convienance of CD.

And remember, with no CD, we prolly don't get CD-rom, DVD-R's, and so forth; Imagine how different our world will be...

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 02:45:13 PM »

As a producer, I can say sometimes viny samplesl has a "warmth" that CD's just can't pick up; with that siad, I don't think anyone can argue with the convienance of CD.

And remember, with no CD, we prolly don't get CD-rom, DVD-R's, and so forth; Imagine how different our world will be...

Ya, shit would be fucked up!!!

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 01:39:32 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hw2bgTj2s-M" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Hw2bgTj2s-M</a>

I agree that vinyl does sound better, but ask yourself this (and, I'm being theoretical here, not saying the videos are stupid or anything):

How are you gonna prove that vinyl sounds better than a CD using a YouTube video or any other digital media? The unheard vibrations that a vinyl produces are lost in making the video - as they are when making a CD.

AboveTheLaw

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 06:50:46 AM »
^ True, although after having doing quite a bit of this type of restoration work, those vibrations that may color the sound, depending on how complex the musical passage, are effectively minimized to a negligible extent when using the right equipment that the average consumer probably wouldn't be interested in unless they were a die hard audiophile.

A combination of a high quality table from either VPI, Thorens, or Rega, coupled with the right tonearm, carbon fiber mat, correct stylus azimuth, record clamp, a properly dampened work equipment area, correct RIAA preamp, shielded cabling, full range sound system and monitoring, and acoustically sound room will reduce any pitch variation, WOW flutter and vibration well below the noise floor of the record itself.

All mediums have some degree of noise, many will argue that analog (vinyl, tape [NOT CASSETTE TAPE]) offers sound characteristics like harmonic saturation, warmth, and a mellowed high end that digital (PCM recording, CDs, MP3, etc) hasn't perfected, or won't be able to as those characteristics just aren't part of the digital process. But to credit digital recordings, you have a much greater dynamic range which has been abused to no end with the hyper compressed CDs that are driving the current generation deaf. Record companies don't care, whatever is loudest will attract the most attention they figure.

Unless the record itself is worn out or wasn't handled properly, the amount of noise is significantly reduced when run through a specific cleaning machine that will vacuum the deep end of the record groove. Any remaining noise or ticks can be filtered out by transient detection to reduce clicks and crackle and by the use of broadband noise reduction if there's too much hiss in the record's high end.

Youtube is among the worst compression (both audio and video) on the net with these types of new media sites. Luckily, Youtube is great for the videos of jackass students pulling off stunts where they're bound to break a leg, rather than any discussion of this sort of topic.

Compression issues of Youtube aside, the only way to lose the vibrations is by high quality playback equipment and monitoring, or by deliberately filtering out the frequencies where they’re most perceivable (Such as the low end pass 45 to 20 Hz). What were you referring to when claiming that these vibration where lost when making a CD? Sampling?

Regards

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 06:39:46 AM »
^^
I don't know for sure and wasn't referring to anything - I've just heard that when digitized, music loses these vibrations. If I remember correctly, DJ Quik talked about it in an interview (Scratch magazine, I think) before Trauma came out.