Poll

In the future, who's legacy will be stronger....Death Row or Aftermath?

Death Row, by far!
52 (74.3%)
Death Row, by a little!
10 (14.3%)
Nearly even...or different
5 (7.1%)
Aftermath, by a little!
0 (0%)
Aftermath, by far!!
3 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Who's legacy will be greater....Death Row or Aftermath?  (Read 733 times)

Paul

Re: Who's legacy will be greater....Death Row or Aftermath?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 01:48:26 PM »
Aftermath Of course, aftermath aint over yet!

u actually think aftermath have another like 5 classic albums to come out, be involved with most of the top guys on the west coast and be involved with murders?

i dont think so, no1 will be like deathrow
funkyfreshintheflesh

bigpimpin20

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 02:34:55 PM »
RUTHLESS!!! Aftermath-soft, DR-K hehehe  8)

Crip2Nite: South Central LA's HoOdSTAr

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 03:14:30 PM »
What is Aftermath? Is that a place where rappers end up when they want their careers put on hold permenatly/indefinitely?
 ???

:-\..... 8)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 03:16:35 PM by Crip2Nite: South Central LA's HoOdSTAr »

LOL...U Mad? Fag :laugh:
Fuck that fake ass crip Crip2nite.  Gets on my nerves how some people on these forums

dameons

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 10:32:51 PM »
Excellent question..

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 11:36:02 PM »
Both have great music up their sleaves and both have some dissapointments. Right now, Death Row probably has the upper hand... but perception may change with DETOX, Joell, Bishop and whatever else has potential there.

Notible Records:

Death Row:

The Chronic
Doggystyle
Murder Was The Case Soundtrack
Dogg Food
All Eyez on Me

Aftermath:

The Slim Shady LP
Chronic 2001
The Marshall Mathers LP
Truthfully Speaking
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
The Documentary

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 11:45:26 PM »
Death Row no question. They were untouchable in the peak era of (quality) rap music. From the Chronic all the way to Makaveli, everything they released was a classic. Even some of the stuff they put out after Makaveli was pretty good. What is Aftermath? Dre and then what?

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 11:59:32 PM »
I do not get why people would choose Death Row, first aftermath released more classics and its not even done yet! plus business wise, they had good business moves, look at shady record, look at g -unit, while Death Row failed with Doggystyle Record and Death Row East

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2007, 12:13:26 AM »
i only listen to 2001 n The Documentary from Aftermath

Paul

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2007, 04:22:59 AM »
Both have great music up their sleaves and both have some dissapointments. Right now, Death Row probably has the upper hand... but perception may change with DETOX, Joell, Bishop and whatever else has potential there.

Notible Records:

Death Row:

The Chronic
Doggystyle
Dogg Food
All Eyez on Me

Aftermath:

The Slim Shady LP
Chronic 2001
The Marshall Mathers LP
Truthfully Speaking
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
The Documentary

there is 5 classic albums from death row, out of them from after math, 2 at the most are classic material

I do not get why people would choose Death Row, first aftermath released more classics and its not even done yet! plus business wise, they had good business moves, look at shady record, look at g -unit, while Death Row failed with Doggystyle Record and Death Row East

oh my god, seriously consider listening to another genre of music if you think aftermth already have more classics, have a fuckin word with yourself
funkyfreshintheflesh

Mygla

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2007, 04:58:14 AM »
I definately prefer Death Row, and I want to answer Death Row... But I definately think that by the time Aftermath shuts down, it'll be on another level than Death Row, not musically speaking, but that's not the issue here... we're talking about commercial success and the legacy remembered by people that's not your typical west-coast listener.

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2007, 05:22:55 AM »

Notible Records:

Death Row:

The Chronic
Doggystyle
Dogg Food
All Eyez on Me

Aftermath:

The Slim Shady LP
Chronic 2001
The Marshall Mathers LP
Truthfully Speaking
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
The Documentary

there is 5 classic albums from death row, out of them from after math, 2 at the most are classic material

oh my god, seriously consider listening to another genre of music if you think aftermth already have more classics, have a fuckin word with yourself

I'm sorry but I think alot of people overrate the term "classic" this day and age. Death Row had alot of great materiel, but "classic" shouldn't be used lightly. IMO, Tha Row had 3 classics and Tha Math had 2. Everything else would be from "Great" to "Weak".

Westcoastfanatic

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2007, 05:31:08 AM »
Yeah, only "The Chronic" and "Doggystyle" are true classics to me.
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

Navaveli

• Lil Geezy
  • Murderious Mind State, Cant Keep Me Nine Str8
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2007, 07:22:55 AM »
Death Row hands down... What Death Row achieved in 4 yrs most companies wont be able to achieve in 10 yrs+.. Death Row was a whole crew, when you said Pac it was Death Row, when you say Snoop it was DeathRow, Dre Death Row, DPG Death Row... now Aftermath doesnt have that type of movement... when you say 50 u think G Unit, u say Em u think Shady, u  say Dre then u think aftermath... Aftermath has done great though no doubt but they aint on the level of Death Row...

Classic after classic dropped from Death Row and u have the biggest names on the Roster, Snoop, Pac and Dre with the DPG crew... Pac hands down took Death Row to next level... Aftermath is good but they aint a dynasty...

oh also Ruthless wont be on the level of Death Row but i can say Ruthless made Death Row, if it wasnt for Ruthless how would suge meet doc and dre and move on to make the Row. Ruthless gave birth to Death Row but Death Row will have bigger legacy than Ruthless cus Death Row took the music all over the world, overseas, Ruthless had it poppin the US but was not overseas... Death Row made the music even more bigger than what Ruthless had done... Ruthless started this gangsta shit but Death Row made this Gangsta shit bigger...
Murderious Mind State, Cant Keep my Nine Str8...

R.I.P Makaveli aka Tupac Shakur the Hip Hop Don...

StevenQBosell

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2007, 07:39:20 AM »

These vanity labels didn't really take off till after the millenium.

Biggie had a vanity label, 2pac had a vanity label, Snoop had one.

The only 2 succesful vanity labels I know of are Shady and GUnit.

Vanity labels don't usually go anywhre

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2007, 09:45:54 AM »
As far as "classics"....I'd say Death Row has Chronic, Doggystyle, and All Eyez on me as TRUE MAJOR classics, with Dogg food almost being at that level, but not quite, only because it didn't have the same overall impact to the entire nation. Murder was the case is a GREAT album, but I don't know if I could really call it classic with it being a soundtrack...because the variety of artists gives it an aural advantage, while it breaks up the continuity of the album itself on the other hand. I'd say Aftermath has one TRUE, MAJOR classic, which is Chronic 2001...and MMLP is closest at second.

So if I had to list albums from both companies from best to "worst", I'd probably say.....

1. Chronic
2. Doggystyle
3. Chronic 2001
4. All Eyez on me
5. Marshall Mathers LP
6. Dogg Food
7. Get Rich or die trying
8. Murder was the case
9. The Documentary
10. Slim Shady LP

And that list is with me being as unbiased as possible...because I like Dogg Food better than MMLP, and I like Murder was the case and possibly The Doc better than Get Rich..but when it comes to overall impact, radio play, and what's remembered by the entire nation and not just West Coast fans...I'd say that list is most accurate.