Author Topic: Bone "Art Of War" Appreciation Thread...  (Read 477 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Bone "Art Of War" Appreciation Thread...
« on: August 21, 2007, 10:17:37 PM »
This was possibly the best album of all of 1997.  It sold very well, but I still feel like it was overshadowed by their most memorable albums Creep on a Comeup and East 1999.  I don't think that Art of War is better than those albums, however, I do think that the quality is still there, no doubt.  Bone didn't fall off until the next year.  They were still working with DJ U-Neek on this album, and they hadn't broken up and gone solo yet, and gotten caught up in label beefs.

more on this album later
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

d-nice

Re: Bone "Art Of War" Appreciation Thread...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:21:53 PM »
This was possibly the best album of all of 1997.  It sold very well, but I still feel like it was overshadowed by their most memorable albums Creep on a Comeup and East 1999.  I don't think that Art of War is better than those albums, however, I do think that the quality is still there, no doubt.  Bone didn't fall off until the next year.  They were still working with DJ U-Neek on this album, and they hadn't broken up and gone solo yet, and gotten caught up in label beefs.

more on this album later

co-sign. Not their best album, but a dope one no doubt. Bone needs to get that sound back that they had with U-Neek.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:45:33 PM »

co-sign. Not their best album, but a dope one no doubt. Bone needs to get that sound back that they had with U-Neek.

No doubt.. the beats are bangin!  They actually sound kind of like West Coast beats.

Also, let me remind everybody that 2pac's greatest guest appearance is on this album.  "Thug Luv" is fire!  Nobody can deny it's a 10!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:56:11 PM »
Man.. Bizzy Bone is insane on this cd, he is spitting in another galaxy, dude is sick!

...I'm doing some work around my apartment and listening to the whole album beggining to end.  Right now I'm on "Wasteland Warrior" and that's what made me think of Bizzy, dude just comes in on the track and brings it to a whole nother level.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:58:54 PM by Harry Browne »

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 11:09:49 PM »
I just remembered that Wish Bone carries the whole track on "Get Your Thug On"... most people don't think of him as a solo artist, but he holds his own on this track.  lol... maybe he stayed late in the studio that night after the other 3 had left.

AboveTheLaw

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:52:01 AM »
I really dug the smooth joints on this album like:

- It's all mo Thug
- It's all Real
- Hatin Nation

And 'If I could Teach the World' was another incredible track. Of course 'Thug Luv' is amazing, although at first I thought the gun shot effects were a bit over the top, but after a few auditions it really works well.

I got a 12" sealed copy, hope it's worth something one day! :)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 01:56:56 AM »

I got a 12" sealed copy, hope it's worth something one day! :)

I really think it will be.  Because hip-hop is dying, so I think eventually all the good stuff from the 80's and 90's will become big time classics, and a the generations that come will also want to go back and check out the real stuff.

Paul

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 04:25:36 AM »
great album, like people have already said bone really need to hook up with u-neek again

and thug luv is unquestionably a 10/10, a hidden gem in hip hop
funkyfreshintheflesh

Plumma25

• 'G'
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 05:08:00 AM »
Definately one of the best double albums of all time.  I still to this day take this out and bump it for a week straight.  You can tell they recorded this right after E.1999 Eternal.  Still has that same vibe to it.
if you're girl has a leak tell her 2 call tha mothafuckin' Plumma named Pete, thats me.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 05:50:21 AM »
Definately one of the best double albums of all time.  I still to this day take this out and bump it for a week straight.  You can tell they recorded this right after E.1999 Eternal.  Still has that same vibe to it.

I don't know about that.   Because E. 99 came out two years before it.  And they had split off and done the Mo Thugs project in the time in between.  Also, each Bone album has it's own unique theme and vibe.  For example, they were respondin back to groups that had success in 96 by copying the Bone style, groups like Crucial Conflict and Do Or Die. 

d-nice

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 06:09:07 AM »

No doubt.. the beats are bangin!  They actually sound kind of like West Coast beats.

Also, let me remind everybody that 2pac's greatest guest appearance is on this album.  "Thug Luv" is fire!  Nobody can deny it's a 10!

Definitely up there with his best guest appearances. That song gave me chills the first time I heard it. What made it so dope was that 2pac did not go with a rapid flow on it. He just was spittin that raw shit. Other artists wanted to match Bone's flow and that quickly got played out.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 06:18:56 AM »

Definitely up there with his best guest appearances. That song gave me chills the first time I heard it. What made it so dope was that 2pac did not go with a rapid flow on it. He just was spittin that raw shit. Other artists wanted to match Bone's flow and that quickly got played out.

Well, I thought it was cool when Biggie used the Bone flow... but 2pac was a different style rapper, he wasn't out to impress people by saying, "Ohh, I'm the illest emcee" or whatever, he just said he wanted to be known as the "realest" rapper out there.  And nobody can deny him that.

Bojakabo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BOJAKaBOOOO
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 06:39:21 AM »
yeah i luv this album..

Narrator

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 06:59:34 AM »
I don't see how anyone could be retarded enough to say this was 1997's best album (let alone the best DOUBLE) album in a year that saw the release of both "Life After Death" and "Wu Tang Forever".

d-nice

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 07:05:12 AM »
I don't see how anyone could be retarded enough to say this was 1997's best album (let alone the best DOUBLE) album in a year that saw the release of both "Life After Death" and "Wu Tang Forever".

LOL, yeah Life After Death is probably the greatest double album of all time. Art Of War is dope though but not on Biggie's level with that album.