Author Topic: Jailed Jena Six Member Mychal Bell Freed On Bail  (Read 302 times)

Elano

Jailed Jena Six Member Mychal Bell Freed On Bail
« on: September 30, 2007, 09:14:53 AM »

Mychal Bell leaving the LaSalle Parish courthouse on Thursday

Post was made by a stranger; release follows earlier announcement that district attorney won't appeal higher court's decision to try Bell in juvenile court.

Seventeen-year-old Mychal Bell, the last of the so-called "Jena Six" to remain in custody, was released from custody on Thursday after a juvenile-court judge set his bail at $45,000 — lower than the previously set amount of $90,000 — CNN reports. A doctor who lives about 135 miles away from Jena posted $5,400, the required 12 percent bond that had been set by a judge.

On Friday (September 28), it was revealed that the bail had been posted by Dr. Stephen Ayers, a stranger who said he felt compelled to help, according to The Associated Press. Ayers, who says he isn't politically active, found out about the situation in Jena, Louisiana, through a patient who had participated in the marches last week. While Ayers is black, he said race wasn't his motivation in posting bail. "I was concerned about what was going on up there and thought the district attorney was a bit harsh in his treatment of Mr. Bell. I really thought it was overkill," he said.

The release followed an earlier announcement from LaSalle Parish District Attorney Reed Walters that he would not appeal a higher court's decision to try Bell in juvenile court. Bell had previously been convicted on two felony counts as an adult, and he still faces trial as a juvenile.

"While I believe that a review would have merit," Walters said in a press conference, "I believe it is in the best interest of the victim and his family not to delay this matter any further and move it to its conclusion.

"They [the Barker family] are onboard with what I decided," he added.

The only member of the Jena Six to stand trial, Bell was accused — along with five other black teens — of beating white classmate Justin Barker in December. Bell was originally convicted on two felony counts, second-degree battery and conspiracy to commit same, and has been incarcerated since his arrest more than nine months ago.

Walters insisted that his dropping of the appeal was not in any way influenced by the swarm of protesters who descended upon the sleepy Louisiana town of Jena within the last two weeks — a vocal group thought to number upward of 15,000 that decried Bell's fate as a prime example of unequal American justice. The fight between Bell and Barker came at the tail end of a month of violence, incited when two nooses were hung from an oak tree on Jena High School property. The white students who committed the hate crime did not face criminal charges.

For Bell, the decision by Walters not to appeal the decision means that he can't be held behind bars past his 21st birthday. If he had been tried as an adult, however, he could have faced a maximum of 15 years in prison.

In related news, Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco vowed in an announcement on Wednesday to protect the families of the accused after several white-supremacist Web sites posted the names and addresses of the six black teens.

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Jailed Jena Six Member Mychal Bell Freed On Bail
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 02:13:04 PM »
it will be a sad day for the world if these kids dont get sent down for assault (no racist).

BANANAS

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 09:12:11 PM »
it will be a sad day for the world if these kids dont get sent down for assault (no racist).

however, there will be free stereos and pampers for black people across jena if they do! (yes riots)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 10:45:03 AM »
Now, I can't comment on how justified that release is because I don't have extended knowledge about this Jena 6 stuff.

But I want to add that it is pretty fucked up to release convicted criminals just because some people on the street say so. This is very dangerous, actually.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 04:19:26 PM »
Now, I can't comment on how justified that release is because I don't have extended knowledge about this Jena 6 stuff.

But I want to add that it is pretty fucked up to release convicted criminals just because some people on the street say so. This is very dangerous, actually.
I'm not the one to just hop on this and take the side because of color, but shut the fuck up with that bullshit "its actually dangerous". I do agree that if you commit a crime you should face the appropriate punishment but you're acting like these kids committed armed robbery, or shot someone. A bunch of high school stupid drama and a kid got jumped; and it got blown up by the media. Like people who haven't really committed worse crimes are not out on the streets, and your acting like these young immature, dumb kids (like most are at that age) are fucking monsters.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 09:32:46 PM »

I'm not the one to just hop on this and take the side because of color, but shut the fuck up with that bullshit "its actually dangerous". I do agree that if you commit a crime you should face the appropriate punishment but you're acting like these kids committed armed robbery, or shot someone. A bunch of high school stupid drama and a kid got jumped; and it got blown up by the media. Like people who haven't really committed worse crimes are not out on the streets, and your acting like these young immature, dumb kids (like most are at that age) are fucking monsters.

People with worse crimes go free all the time, but they don't get public protests all the time. This has nothing to do with the crime. The crime could have been that they molested and raped a 3 year old girl. The people protesting don't even think about the fact that they could be guilty. People rioted for Rodney King for fuck sakes. They weren't rioting when he was blowing his 2 mil on coke and beating up women.

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 10:29:47 PM »

People with worse crimes go free all the time, but they don't get public protests all the time. This has nothing to do with the crime. The crime could have been that they molested and raped a 3 year old girl. The people protesting don't even think about the fact that they could be guilty. People rioted for Rodney King for fuck sakes. They weren't rioting when he was blowing his 2 mil on coke and beating up women.
I think people have the misconception that the people are rioting because they think that the young men are innocent. I think they are rioting because the crime doesn't fit the punishment. Are they guilty of the crime-yes; but is the punishment suitable? I don't think so. And again with the Rodney King incident people weren't protesting because he shouldn't have been punished for what he did because like you said he was doing coke and all the fucked up shit (so, yes he should have dealt with the consequences whatever it maybe. But when you have cops out there acting like fucking wild hyenas, just like the idiot gangs out there then there is a problem. Those are people who are supposed to serve and protect (or protect and serve,which ever way it goes).  They were rioting over the fact that how the situation went about. Did you see him getting fucking his ass kicked while barely even moving on the floor; posing no threat to the group of police surrounding him. People who think like you are so narrow minded. I look at everything from all sides. If you don't think there was something wrong with how the cops handled the situation, then I really don't know what to tell you.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 11:18:15 PM »

I think people have the misconception that the people are rioting because they think that the young men are innocent. I think they are rioting because the crime doesn't fit the punishment. Are they guilty of the crime-yes; but is the punishment suitable? I don't think so. And again with the Rodney King incident people weren't protesting because he shouldn't have been punished for what he did because like you said he was doing coke and all the fucked up shit (so, yes he should have dealt with the consequences whatever it maybe. But when you have cops out there acting like fucking wild hyenas, just like the idiot gangs out there then there is a problem. Those are people who are supposed to serve and protect (or protect and serve,which ever way it goes).  They were rioting over the fact that how the situation went about. Did you see him getting fucking his ass kicked while barely even moving on the floor; posing no threat to the group of police surrounding him. People who think like you are so narrow minded. I look at everything from all sides. If you don't think there was something wrong with how the cops handled the situation, then I really don't know what to tell you.

If the blacks that protest cops beating on blacks spent one tenth of that energy protesting and rioting for black gangs beating on blacks you'd see a lot more solutions.

Would I have beat on him like that If I was a cop? No. Would I condone that as an official in the force? No. Would I let the cops off as a judge? No. Narrow minded my ass. Narrow minded is thinking that rioting in the streets is going to solve anything. I wonder how many women out there with permanent physical or emotional injuries in hindsight wish the cops beat on him a little more and maybe he wouldn't have been able to keep up what he would do to them. I'm just saying that there are plenty of good honest blacks being screwed by the system that don't get this kid of support. Why waste it on low lifes?

Al fucking Sharpton was on Dr Phil arguing with the family of the victim about whether the kid was really hurt so don't tell me those idiots marching don't think they did it. The problem with bozos like Al Sharpton is they fight for the wrong kind of fair. They bring up how whites get off and they fight for blacks to get off too. They should be fighting for whites to not get off. Anyone that defends a crime with the logic that "we'll he did it too" is a moron. You don't defend that crime you go after the other one.

But let's be real here. There is no way that crowd marching will even accept the possibility that maybe the tree wasn't white only as a rule, that the nooses didn't cause such a big deal, and that the kid with the gun was trying to defend himself, And that this kid was beat down like a dog and was severely hurt. I'm not saying it all happened like this but the idea that it may have will be dismissed by the black community as if it's a fact that this is entirely racially driven by the white oppressor. And that is the assumed racism culture (that I mentioned before and you ignored) inherited by blacks in america today. It has to be racism every fucking time. It's an excuse to fail and it hurts the black community, and that is the only reason I oppose it. If it was shown that this coping mechanism helped blacks proceed I'd be all for it, but that isn't the case. When a white says that he doesn't understand black pain. When a black says it he's an uncle tom. People that think that way rot in their stubbornness.

I'd call this case attempted 2nd degree murder. I'd call the Rodney King incident the same thing. You beat on someone while they are down and unconscious you are doing so knowing the possibilty of death. The teens under the law of that state should be tried as adults. Whether they should be convicted of it is another story. Assault is attacking someone. Aggravated assault is attacking someone with a weapon and intent to seriously hurt. Stomping on someone lieing motionless on the ground is attempted murder. The only reason I don't mind seeing these kids free on bail now is because with all eyes on them they would be careful. But if this case was all white kids and no media then I'm not so sure I'd want them out on bail at all because I'm not so sure they won't assault again.

Let me ask you this; let's say Bell while on bail gets into another serious fight and gets arrested again and Al Sharpton still finds away to defend it. Will you tell that devil worshipping demon Al Sharpton to go fuck him self on this forum?

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 12:24:28 AM »

If the blacks that protest cops beating on blacks spent one tenth of that energy protesting and rioting for black gangs beating on blacks you'd see a lot more solutions.

Would I have beat on him like that If I was a cop? No. Would I condone that as an official in the force? No. Would I let the cops off as a judge? No. Narrow minded my ass. Narrow minded is thinking that rioting in the streets is going to solve anything. I wonder how many women out there with permanent physical or emotional injuries in hindsight wish the cops beat on him a little more and maybe he wouldn't have been able to keep up what he would do to them. I'm just saying that there are plenty of good honest blacks being screwed by the system that don't get this kid of support. Why waste it on low lifes?

Al fucking Sharpton was on Dr Phil arguing with the family of the victim about whether the kid was really hurt so don't tell me those idiots marching don't think they did it. The problem with bozos like Al Sharpton is they fight for the wrong kind of fair. They bring up how whites get off and they fight for blacks to get off too. They should be fighting for whites to not get off. Anyone that defends a crime with the logic that "we'll he did it too" is a moron. You don't defend that crime you go after the other one.

But let's be real here. There is no way that crowd marching will even accept the possibility that maybe the tree wasn't white only as a rule, that the nooses didn't cause such a big deal, and that the kid with the gun was trying to defend himself, And that this kid was beat down like a dog and was severely hurt. I'm not saying it all happened like this but the idea that it may have will be dismissed by the black community as if it's a fact that this is entirely racially driven by the white oppressor. And that is the assumed racism culture (that I mentioned before and you ignored) inherited by blacks in america today. It has to be racism every fucking time. It's an excuse to fail and it hurts the black community, and that is the only reason I oppose it. If it was shown that this coping mechanism helped blacks proceed I'd be all for it, but that isn't the case. When a white says that he doesn't understand black pain. When a black says it he's an uncle tom. People that think that way rot in their stubbornness.

I'd call this case attempted 2nd degree murder. I'd call the Rodney King incident the same thing. You beat on someone while they are down and unconscious you are doing so knowing the possibilty of death. The teens under the law of that state should be tried as adults. Whether they should be convicted of it is another story. Assault is attacking someone. Aggravated assault is attacking someone with a weapon and intent to seriously hurt. Stomping on someone lieing motionless on the ground is attempted murder. The only reason I don't mind seeing these kids free on bail now is because with all eyes on them they would be careful. But if this case was all white kids and no media then I'm not so sure I'd want them out on bail at all because I'm not so sure they won't assault again.

Let me ask you this; let's say Bell while on bail gets into another serious fight and gets arrested again and Al Sharpton still finds away to defend it. Will you tell that devil worshipping demon Al Sharpton to go fuck him self on this forum?
First, I always thought that Al Sharpton was a clown and I don't know why the media depicts him to be a leader for blacks, or better yet represent blacks as a whole. Also, there are protest and community meetings about crimes and drugs in neighborhoods, but its never hyped up by the media like this whole 'Jena 6' thing. You do agree the media has the power to make certain things seem much more than it is right? Now like I said I don't know all there is to this situation, as I'm sure you don't either, so thats why I didn't jump on the whole 'Jena 6' protesting bandwagon; but if it is how its portrayed by the media, then you have to admit that theres some hidden racism in this issue. With the laws determining how a person should get tried, I know nothing about. I'm sure the whole sitting under a white tree rule thing isn't tree, its just that in high school a certain group of people tend to hang out in the same area all throughout the yea (lunch, nut break etc.) or at least thats how it was in my high school in California. The hanging nooses thing I think was a blatant sign of racism, I don' believe the whole it was a school prank thing. but what ever Im tired going to bed get at you later

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 08:03:35 AM »
I have no problem accepting it could be racism. But given the pictures of Barker's face from the hospital and the fact that Bell was a third time offender I'd need a lot to let him out on bail to be with a father that abandoned him. Louisiana law states you cannot be tried as an adult unless it's a case of murder or attempted murder and as a judge I'd like to let the community know that accusations of stomping on a kid while down is something that should be taken very seriously. I think Ive already mentioned the kid here from a few years back that went retarted because of stomps and kicks to the head. And there was also another kid in my high school that had a permant tick and speech problem because of the same thing happening to him. I'd treat white kids doing that the same way. Not try and make sure black kids get off on crimes like that as well.

I know full well how the media can spin things but I also know what I see with my own eyes every day. Black people just don't get as mad when stupid street crime kills their community as they do when a cop eraid kicks down doors and makes arrests.

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 08:17:08 AM »
I have no problem accepting it could be racism. But given the pictures of Barker's face from the hospital and the fact that Bell was a third time offender I'd need a lot to let him out on bail to be with a father that abandoned him. Louisiana law states you cannot be tried as an adult unless it's a case of murder or attempted murder and as a judge I'd like to let the community know that accusations of stomping on a kid while down is something that should be taken very seriously. I think Ive already mentioned the kid here from a few years back that went retarted because of stomps and kicks to the head. And there was also another kid in my high school that had a permant tick and speech problem because of the same thing happening to him. I'd treat white kids doing that the same way. Not try and make sure black kids get off on crimes like that as well.

I know full well how the media can spin things but I also know what I see with my own eyes every day. Black people just don't get as mad when stupid street crime kills their community as they do when a cop eraid kicks down doors and makes arrests.
Like I said before blacks do get upset when their community is filled with crime and drugs but the media doesn't show. Also, I've never seen black people riot over someone door being kicked in and raided (because most likely its a drug dealer or a criminal doing mischief  in the neighborhood). The whole picture your not seeing is that the people get upset when the police who should be protecting are just as fucked up as the criminals in the neighborhood or when justice and equality isn't being carried out. Your just assuming because thats how the media makes it look.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 10:52:56 AM »

Like I said before blacks do get upset when their community is filled with crime and drugs but the media doesn't show. Also, I've never seen black people riot over someone door being kicked in and raided (because most likely its a drug dealer or a criminal doing mischief  in the neighborhood). The whole picture your not seeing is that the people get upset when the police who should be protecting are just as fucked up as the criminals in the neighborhood or when justice and equality isn't being carried out. Your just assuming because thats how the media makes it look.

I'm assuming based on what I see in my neighborhoods. I don't need the media to tell me anything. You cannot deny that the culture sympathizes far more with the drug trade than it does white cop on black crime. It's a perfectly natural reaction. When people feel like they are being attacked as a group by an outsider they band together more than they would when it's an attack with in the group. Denying that is denying human nature patterns from all over the world. A black community would get upset by a gang drive-by killing an innocent kid. They'd get more upset by an outsider shooting like the cops doing the same thing. I'm not saying what they should get more upset about in theory. I'm arguing that if they reacted as strongly to the problems from with in as they do the problems from with out then the problems from with out would slowly go away. If the black community decided to slowly reject welfare, practise safe sex and reduce pregnancy, put real social pressure on young men to marry or stay with their women, etc then you'd see a lot less angry black teenage males causing trouble and less of a justifiable reason to infiltrate black communities by corrupt cops. The group in power will always find a scape goat and exploit that scape goat. If Nat Turner's revolution succeeded and a lot of southern states wer're black run don't think for a second that the black elite wouldn't someone to look down on someone, whether it be mexican, west indy, or something else. The point is that you can't fix the devil. He'll always be around and he'll always corrupt the powerful. You can fix your home though. If you got a hole in your roof and it's raining you plug the hole. You don't complain to the clouds and hope they'll listen. Fix what you can first then attempt to figure out how to fix what you can't.

Narrator

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 11:55:24 AM »
The point is that you can't fix the devil.

But the devil is white.  That is why it's necessary to kill all the crackers.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 12:44:10 PM »

Touche. I'm Greek. Which most likely means somewhere down the line tens of 1000s of years ago there was a mixing of nordic and african people in the mediterrenean. Where do I fall in as far as this genocide is concerned.

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 02:49:54 PM »

I can always count on you to put in your ignorant and disrespectful comment.  ::)