Author Topic: Many Shows Hault Production Due To Strike By Writers Guild of America ...  (Read 637 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Production Stops On 6 Sitcoms As Strike Hits Day 2

(AP) LOS ANGELES Production has stopped on at least six sitcoms filmed before live audiences because of the Hollywood writers strike.

"Back to You," starring Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton, will not return from a planned hiatus on Wednesday, said Chris Alexander, a spokesman for 20th Century Fox Television.

Star Julia Louis-Dreyfus said production has also stopped on her CBS show, "The New Adventures of Old Christine."

In addition, the sitcoms "Til Death," which airs on Fox, and "Rules of Engagement," "Two and a Half Men" and "The Big Bang Theory," all on CBS, will also end filming, according to people familiar with production of the shows who were not authorized to be quoted and requested anonymity.

It was not immediately clear how many of the shows might already be finished.

Network officials referred calls to companies producing each show.

LOS ANGELES Networks said the following shows will immediately go into reruns because of the writers strike:

NBC:
• "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno"
• "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" and "Last Call with Carson Daly"

CBS:
• "Late Show with David Letterman"
• "Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson"

Comedy Central:
• "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"
• "Colbert Report"

Networks and publicists cited these other impacts:

• "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" will air new episodes on Monday and Tuesday that were filmed before the strike.

• FOX's "Back To You" will not return from a planned hiatus Wednesday.

• Production of FOX's "Til Death" will stop immediately.

• Production of CBS's "Rules of Engagement," "The Big Bang Theory," "Two and a Half Men," and "The New Adventures of Old Christine" will stop immediately.

• ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" will air as usual Monday and Tuesday.

• Production of ABC's "Desperate Housewives" will stop Wednesday.

• CBS soap operas such as "The Young and the Restless," "Guiding Light" and "As the World Turns" will continue uninterrupted for several months with completed scripts.

• ABC's "The View" talk show will continue uninterrupted because of contingency plans made before the strike.

• ABC soaps, including "All My Children," "One Life to Live" and "General Hospital," have been written into the new year and will not be interrupted.

• "The Oprah Winfrey Show" doesn't employ union writers and will continue uninterrupted.

bez

Re: Many Shows Hault Production Due To Strike By Writers Guild of America ...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 03:23:03 PM »
Good!!!

Writers definetly deserve more pay. They are the ones that come up with the programs basically. THey deserve a hell of alot more.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 04:42:43 PM »
Fuck unions, and fuck these writers. When's the last time a quality network show hit the air? 95% of new shows suck. AND the ratings have sucked for years. I garauntee if Networks just came out and told the public to email ideas for new shows and for storylines on current shows we'd get a better product than the crap we're dealing with now. Comedies aren't funny. Dramas are filled with stupid cliches and plot by numbers tactics and the rest is Reality TV and game shows. I hope this strike goes long enough and the Networks hire new unionless writers just to stick it to these whining fucks. Give me six figures a year to throw shit at a wall and hope it sticks and you won't here one complaint out of me.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 07:27:31 PM »
^^Everyone knows writers have been heavily underpaid since forever, though...That's probably part of why they aren't giving it an honest effort and the reason fresh material isn't coming in on a consistant basis. Writers make nothing...Nowadays, DVD revenue dominates box office revenue, and writers see none of that...it's a joke to be a writer. The strike might be bullshit, but so is what writers have been getting paid...PeACe

J Bananas

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 07:44:36 PM »
Fuck unions, and fuck these writers. When's the last time a quality network show hit the air? 95% of new shows suck. AND the ratings have sucked for years. I garauntee if Networks just came out and told the public to email ideas for new shows and for storylines on current shows we'd get a better product than the crap we're dealing with now. Comedies aren't funny. Dramas are filled with stupid cliches and plot by numbers tactics and the rest is Reality TV and game shows. I hope this strike goes long enough and the Networks hire new unionless writers just to stick it to these whining fucks. Give me six figures a year to throw shit at a wall and hope it sticks and you won't here one complaint out of me.

what u mad? only ppl i say fuck em to is the stars, u must not have any idea how much work is involved in a tv or film production. writers have to bow to the whim of directors producers bitchy actors and now pain in the ass customers who have to put their two cents in

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 02:10:45 PM »

what u mad? only ppl i say fuck em to is the stars, u must not have any idea how much work is involved in a tv or film production. writers have to bow to the whim of directors producers bitchy actors and now pain in the ass customers who have to put their two cents in

And if the actor's guild went on strike I'd be saying the same thing.

NIK, they get 6 figures a year to do what can be done for free if the networks accepted fan made scripts. And in hollywood films you can sell one crappy script that for like a million dollars and only have parts of it actually show up on screen.

If the writers of The Wire went on strike because they weren't getting paid I'd hope HBO coughs up the cash because I don't want the quality to suffer but 90% of shows and movies have shitty writing. And 99% of big money shows and movies have shittier writing.

If the cast of CSI said we aren't working you can't just throw in a bunch of new actors and expect the audience to follow the new look, but of the thousands of nerds sitting at home writing stupid fan CSI stories you can find 22 stories a year just as good as the ones you pay 10 writers totaling millions a year to give you.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 10:08:39 AM »
^^You act like anyone out there can be a writer...what about the good writers who come up with compelling stories? why don't they get a share from DVD sales and what not? The whole system is fucked...It's the production companies fault for hiring shitty writers. Writers don't get shit compared to actors, directors, producers, etc., and this is probably why so many scripts suck...think about it...PeACe

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 11:03:42 AM »
^^You act like anyone out there can be a writer...what about the good writers who come up with compelling stories? why don't they get a share from DVD sales and what not? The whole system is fucked...It's the production companies fault for hiring shitty writers. Writers don't get shit compared to actors, directors, producers, etc., and this is probably why so many scripts suck...think about it...PeACe

Anyone can't be a good writer, but just about anyone can come up with the shit they put on TV these days. The good writers do get paid very well, and very good writers write very good books, not shitty TV shows or crappy movies. And even the bad writers get paid. You can sell a shitty script to hollywood for a million dollars. How much do you want it to be sold for?

And in the case of big budget shows and films the actors, directors, and producers are more important than the screen writer.

The scripts suck because network fat cats think they know art and because good writers write books. A true storyteller will write a great story for the sake of it. He or she won't make it worse because the average salary is 200 grande when it should be 350.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 11:19:51 PM »

Actually some writers make $50k a year, like an average American, well their product makes millions. So they see studios make money off their backs, and they are not getting paid, of course they are going to be mad. So they want a bigger cut of millions. You are mad at people trying to get money, that's fucked up. I don't give a shit, like 'Pac said, gotta alot of love for any (person) getting money.

E-Crazy

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • E-Crazy
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 11:38:33 PM »
Want to watch quality programming?
www.vlaze.com
 ;D

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 12:07:24 PM »

Actually some writers make $50k a year, like an average American, well their product makes millions. So they see studios make money off their backs, and they are not getting paid, of course they are going to be mad. So they want a bigger cut of millions. You are mad at people trying to get money, that's fucked up. I don't give a shit, like 'Pac said, gotta alot of love for any (person) getting money.

Exactly...How is it justified that they don't get a share of the DVD sales when the DVD sales are what dominate the market nowadays? Come on, now.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 03:58:09 PM »

They are average americans.

You show me an example of a writer of a show that makes millions (in profit) that only pulls in 50 grande a year and we'll talk. I'm not mad at the union. I'm mad at the networks for even bothering with them. If I owned NBC all of them would be fired right now. Of course with NBCs shity ratings they would have been fired years ago.

Let's be serious. This all about one thing; the economy. The writer's guild knows that with the struggling US dollar the DVD sales will fall and that'll mean less money, so they want a way to make as much money. God forbid they put some actually effort into their stories and make more people want to buy the product. They just want the prices of the DVDs higher so they can even out.

Fuck unions.

herpes

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 04:55:08 PM »

You show me an example of a writer of a show that makes millions (in profit) that only pulls in 50 grande a year and we'll talk. I'm not mad at the union. I'm mad at the networks for even bothering with them. If I owned NBC all of them would be fired right now. Of course with NBCs shity ratings they would have been fired years ago.

Let's be serious. This all about one thing; the economy. The writer's guild knows that with the struggling US dollar the DVD sales will fall and that'll mean less money, so they want a way to make as much money. God forbid they put some actually effort into their stories and make more people want to buy the product. They just want the prices of the DVDs higher so they can even out.

Fuck unions.

why fuck unions ?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 04:59:38 PM »
lol@shallow being mad cause he aint paid

if I was a writer and some shitty actor who doesnt even get my jokes while acting gets paid 100k+ more than me, then YES, Id be pissed
you have to understand as a writer you aint got no face, you cant do commercials etc... it's harder to get money in other ways....
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 05:11:59 PM by 7even is the next Iwan Karamasow »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 07:05:48 PM »

Fuck unions.

why fuck unions ?

If I want to work for x amount, I'll work for x amount. If I don't like the job or the pay out I won't work and go find another job. I do not need to band together with my co-workers and put the lixuries of the workforce ahead of the greater good and common sense. The hollywood unions put a stranglehold on the industry. Doctor's unions put a stranglehold on the healthcare industry. Unions in general drive up prices and create inflation. The owners, the big dogs, never suffer, they just make the little guy pay. When the auto workers want more money they give it to them but then they cut jobs, outsource and raise prices while making the product less reliable. Anyone that thinks unions somehow stick it to the rich is foolling themselves. Trade unions are a thorne in the side of a heallthy capitalist economy.

7even - first I'm fat and noow I'm broke and jealous. What is it with you. The actor is almost more important than the writer in hollywood. Try reading the scripts to some Jim Carrey films or lines for Kramer in Seinfeld. They are made by the performer. If screenwriters were really worth more than a 200,000 a year average, 50 grande a year at the bottom of the barrell for shitty shows then they'd be writing great novels, not episodes of The OC.

Is someone really going to tell me that 22 scripts of One Tree Hill is really worth more than 50,000 dollars, when you write them with a team and each of you get over 50 grande a year? Did you know that 3 guys split 3 million dollars for the script for EuroTrip? I mean c'mon.