Author Topic: The Trevor Ariza dunk  (Read 493 times)

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The Trevor Ariza dunk
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 10:47:01 AM »
as a basketball referee, i cant see how thats not a clear charge. the defender was in position

(if the defender)
  • was still, or moving sideways or backwards but not forwards, when contact occurred
  • took a legal guarding position before the contact, that is, one with both feet on the floor
  • was hit on the torso (as opposed to the arm or leg)
  • respected the elements of time and distance
  • (is outside the restriction area, nba rules)
then the offensive player was at fault and should be charged with a charging foul.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_foul

he fulfilled all premises
thats a clear charge.

I mean it's not easy to see it live with no slow motion and shit. Cause it was quick.

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 10:52:19 AM »
as a basketball referee, i cant see how thats not a clear charge. the defender was in position

(if the defender)
  • was still, or moving sideways or backwards but not forwards, when contact occurred
  • took a legal guarding position before the contact, that is, one with both feet on the floor
then the offensive player was at fault and should be charged with a charging foul.

thats a clear charge.

You must be the worst ref ever. You can't run under a guy who's making his move to the basket. You have to be in position before he picks up his dribble.

Here it is, i was about to write it. I'm not so fluent in english, but i'll try to explain it anyway. This thing quoted is not a rule, but it's what referees tend to do on those situations lately. I'm not a referee (no more) myself (i was been an amateur one tho), but my father is an ULEB/Euroleague Special Commissioneer and former international basketball referee, and we talked about this dunk when we both saw it on tv. It's like NIK wrote: since it's becoming too easy to stop penetration by simply stopping 1 second before the impact, referees now tend to punish defenders who intentionally run under/against a guy who's making his move to the basket. It's the exact same situation with Nash/Kobe, where Nash runs on Kobe and stops just 1 second before the impact. That's not the right philosophy. You have to be in one position but you should let the opponent finish his dunk/shot/move without intentionally running on him.

So even if it was tecnichally a charge, they call it a defensive foul to punish the defender.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:55:03 AM by Antonio »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 10:54:41 AM »
There's a reason you can see Grant Hill's number in the beginning of the clip.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 11:16:41 AM »
F'k the rules....if you get dunked on, you get dunked on. It should be a rule that getting dunked on should never be a foul unless the dude dunkin pushes them out of the way before he takes off.

I got dunked on vicious one time by my homeboy who was nearly a foot taller than me...and I wasn't even thinkin "that's charging!!!" I was thinkin..."let me redeem myself next play!"

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 11:49:32 AM »

(if the defender)

thats a clear charge.

You must be the worst ref ever. You can't run under a guy who's making his move to the basket. You have to be in position before he picks up his dribble.

Here it is, i was about to write it. I'm not so fluent in english, but i'll try to explain it anyway. This thing quoted is not a rule, but it's what referees tend to do on those situations lately. I'm not a referee (no more) myself (i was been an amateur one tho), but my father is an ULEB/Euroleague Special Commissioneer and former international basketball referee, and we talked about this dunk when we both saw it on tv. It's like NIK wrote: since it's becoming too easy to stop penetration by simply stopping 1 second before the impact, referees now tend to punish defenders who intentionally run under/against a guy who's making his move to the basket. It's the exact same situation with Nash/Kobe, where Nash runs on Kobe and stops just 1 second before the impact. That's not the right philosophy. You have to be in one position but you should let the opponent finish his dunk/shot/move without intentionally running on him.

So even if it was tecnichally a charge, they call it a defensive foul to punish the defender.

(ill just bypass any post from NIK as im not in the mood to discuss with him)

i can find that argument somewhat valid , but still, he went "recklessly" forward with his knee/feet hitting the opponent first. you can't dunk like you're practicing thai-boxing (flying knee-kicks)
 the guard was actually in position before trevor even jumped. furthermore, from this clip () it looks like the guard is sliding to the left, which means that even BEFORE the slide, he was in position.

but i dont watch NBA, i don't know how they interpret their rules, but in FIBA, imo , thats a foul.

i gotta admit though that the foul call isnt as clear as i said.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 11:52:35 AM by Maestro Minded / LME »

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 12:01:31 PM »
Grant Hill never stopped moving his feet...therefore its a blocking foul.

This dunk reminds me a lot of Kobe's dunk on Nash.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 12:04:16 PM »

(if the defender)

thats a clear charge.

i can find that argument somewhat valid , but still, he went "recklessly" forward with his knee/feet hitting the opponent first. you can't dunk like you're practicing thai-boxing (flying knee-kicks)
 the guard was actually in position before trevor even jumped. furthermore, from this clip () it looks like the guard is sliding to the left, which means that even BEFORE the slide, he was in position.

but i dont watch NBA, i don't know how they interpret their rules, but in FIBA, imo , thats a foul.

Yeah it was a though decision by the refs. Anyway in the NBA they tend to give advantage to the dunker.

(FIBA is a different world, you know)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 12:14:11 PM »

(if the defender)

thats a clear charge.

Of course you're not gunna debate with me...You'll get sonned every time.

Watch the clip. You can see the back of Hill's jersey as Ariza is making his move to the basket. That's because he's running in front of the play=foul. He wasn't already positioned there. Quite disgusting that you'd call an offensive foul on such a nasty facial. :grumpy:

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 12:17:10 PM »
And how the hell is that a reckless dunk anyways? It looks to me like he moved his legs sideways just to avoid kneeing Hill, with his lame attempt of drawing the charge. SMASH!

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 12:19:48 PM »

a defender can move his feet and still be in position as long as he's moving backwards or sideways.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 01:46:59 PM by Maestro Minded / LME »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 12:50:23 PM »

a defender can move his feets and still be in position as long as he's moving backwards or sideways.

^LMFAO! Now I don't believe you were ever a ref...You can't move sideways when drawing a charge. If that were the case, EVERYONE would be running under dunkers. What kinda shit is that? Priceless.

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2007, 01:22:38 PM »

a defender can move his feets and still be in position as long as he's moving backwards or sideways.

Mmmm.. no. He can't move his feets, man. That's the rule #1, forgot that?

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007, 01:43:31 PM »

a defender can move his feet and still be in position as long as he's moving backwards or sideways.

Mmmm.. no. He can't move his feets, man. That's the rule #1, forgot that?

actually, he can

Quote from: FIBA Official Basketball Rules 2006 (The latest version)
When judging a block/charge situation involving a player with the ball, an official shall use the following principles:
• The defensive player must establish an initial legal guarding position by facing the player with the ball and having both feet on the floor.
• The defensive player may remain stationary, jump vertically, move laterally or move backwards in order to maintain the initial legal guarding position.
• When moving to maintain the initial legal guarding position, one or both feet may be off the floor for an instant,  as long as the movement is lateral or backwards, but not towards the player with the ball.
• Contact must occur on the torso, in which case the defensive player would be considered as having been at the place of contact first.
• Having established a legal guarding position the defensive player may turn within his cylinder to cushion any blow or to avoid injury.
In the event of any of the above situations, the contact shall be considered as having been caused by the player with the ball.

http://www.fiba.com/asp_scripts/downMana.asp?fileID=328

i would bet that the rules are simiar in NBA as well.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 02:10:13 PM by Maestro Minded / LME »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2007, 02:33:24 PM »
LOL@I-BO.

NBA Foul & Penalty Rules
Snippet
Section II--By Dribbler
a. A dribbler shall not (1) charge into an opponent who has established a legal guarding position, or (2) attempt to dribble between two opponents, or (3) attempt to dribble between an opponent and a boundary, where sufficient space is not avail-able for illegal contact to be avoided.
b. If a defender is able to establish a legal position in the straight line path of the dribbler, the dribbler must avoid contact by changing direction or ending his dribble.
c. The dribbler must be in control of his body at all times. If illegal contact occurs, the responsibility is on the dribbler.
PENALTY: The offender is assessed an offensive foul. There is no team foul. The ball is awarded to the offended team on the sideline nearest the spot where play was interrupted but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended.
EXCEPTION: Rule 3--Section I--a.
d. If a dribbler has sufficient space to have his head and shoulders in advance of his defender, the responsibility for illegal contact is on the defender.
e. If a dribbler has established a straight line path, a defender may not crowd him out of that path.
PENALTY: The defender shall be assessed a personal foul and a team foul. If the penalty is not in effect, the offended team is awarded the ball on the sideline nearest the spot where play was interrupted but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended. If the penalty is in effect, one free throw attempt plus a penalty free throw attempt is awarded.

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2007, 03:37:06 PM »
LOL@I-BO.

NBA Foul & Penalty Rules
Snippet
Section II--By Dribbler
a A dribbler shall not (1) charge into an opponent who has established a legal guarding position, or (2) attempt to dribble between two opponents, or (3) attempt to dribble between an opponent and a boundary, where sufficient space is not avail-able for illegal contact to be avoided.
b. If a defender is able to establish a legal position in the straight line path of the dribbler, the dribbler must avoid contact by changing direction or ending his dribble.
c. The dribbler must be in control of his body at all times. If illegal contact occurs (*heading knee first for example), the responsibility is on the dribbler. PENALTY: The offender is assessed an offensive foul. There is no team foul. The ball is awarded to the offended team on the sideline nearest the spot where play was interrupted but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended.
EXCEPTION: Rule 3--Section I--a.
d. If a dribbler has sufficient space to have his head and shoulders in advance of his defender, the responsibility for illegal contact is on the defender.
e. If a dribbler has established a straight line path, a defender may not crowd him out of that path.
PENALTY: The defender shall be assessed a personal foul and a team foul. If the penalty is not in effect, the offended team is awarded the ball on the sideline nearest the spot where play was interrupted but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended. If the penalty is in effect, one free throw attempt plus a penalty free throw attempt is awarded.

crowd
Pronunciation: \ˈkrau̇d\
1 a: to press on : hurry b: to press close <the players crowded around the coach>
2: to collect in numbers
transitive verb
1 a: to fill by pressing or thronging together <a room crowded with children> b: to press, force, or thrust into a small space

2: push, force —often used with off or out<crowd a person off the sidewalk>
3 a: to urge on b: to put on (sail) in excess of the usual for greater speed
4: to put pressure on <don't crowd me, I'll pay>
5: throng, jostle
6: to press or stand close to <the batter was crowding the plate>

crowd = force the player back, which can only happen if you move forward, or pushing him back (which btw grant hill clearly didn't do)
Quote from: Maestro Minded

furthermore, you disregarded the first points:
Section II--By Dribbler
a. A dribbler shall not (1) charge into an opponent who has established a legal guarding position, or (2) attempt to dribble between two opponents, or (3) attempt to dribble between an opponent and a boundary, where sufficient space is not avail-able for illegal contact to be avoided.
c. The dribbler must be in control of his body at all times. If illegal contact occurs (*heading knee first for example), the responsibility is on the dribbler.

please sccit, im not having a laugh making you look like a fool, thats why until now, unlike you, i havent thrown a single disrespecting comment toward you. but i recommend you to stop with that "i know everything because i live in america" mentality, look at antonio, his father is a EuroLeague commissioner, but still he can give and take arguments. just accept that maybe... just maybe i might have a better grasp of rules and regelations in basketball than you. you're getting owned each time you're trying to discredit me, so please stop.