Is He?

Yes
4 (22.2%)
No
13 (72.2%)
UnDecided
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Is Phil Jackson Over-Rated As A Coach?  (Read 1428 times)

Lunatic

Is Phil Jackson Over-Rated As A Coach?
« on: January 10, 2008, 02:48:37 PM »
Not taking away any accomplishments of his, but look at the teams he coached for those rings. I now how important coaching is but Jordan & Pippen + the supporting cast they had & Kobe + Shaq?

I say yes.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
Re: Is Phil Jackson Over-Rated As A Coach?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:53:44 PM »
He has coached 3 three-peats. That's 9 rings as a coach. The next time a team wins 3 championships in a row then you can bring up this topic with some validity.

Vegasmac25

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 02:59:11 PM »
I can say one thing about Phills coaching that sometimes i really get grey hair by some of the crazy subs he uses during situations in games but you cant really second guess him can ya.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 03:03:45 PM »
Yes. Dont get me wrong, a championship is a championship. BUT, his titles have come with some pretty talented teams. I think there are better coaches in the league right NOW then him for sure. Now if he turns this current Laker group into champions...id give him more respect.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 03:18:35 PM »
Now if he turns this current Laker group into champions...id give him more respect.
exactly
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 03:20:40 PM »
no

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

Doggystylin

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 03:29:45 PM »
Yes. Dont get me wrong, a championship is a championship. BUT, his titles have come with some pretty talented teams. I think there are better coaches in the league right NOW then him for sure. Now if he turns this current Laker group into champions...id give him more respect.

and that doesn't seem too far down the road, how can you guys not remember the lakers when phil just came back a couple years ago, and look at them now, drastic change

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »
No. Its jut that the dumber the players get the less effective his methods become.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »

and that doesn't seem too far down the road, how can you guys not remember the lakers when phil just came back a couple years ago, and look at them now, drastic change

im lookin at that too. Thats why i said id give him more respect if this current Laker team won a title. Honestly, if he could turn THIS Laker team into champions it would be a bigger accomplishment then ANY of his other titles by far.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 04:53:12 PM »
No. Its jut that the dumber the players get the less effective his methods become.

as with any coach. But previously Phil had the luxury of coaching Bulls teams with the best player to ever play the game...and a Lakers team with one of the best duo's of all time. His job was made a bit easier then. Look at some of those Bulls teams, you could put a chimp in there as coach and they would have won the title.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 08:29:41 PM »
no, anyone who can win 9 rings is a great coach

BUTTT

having MJ and Pippen for all those years is kinda easy to win with besides some decent role players like kukoc and rodman.

and getting to chose to go to a team with Shaq and Kobe is easy to do.

so i do see how some would question him because he's always had 2 stars on each team and when he hasn't had 2 stars his teams stink (ie 2005-06 and 06-07 lakers)
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 08:54:12 PM »
no, anyone who can win 9 rings is a great coach

BUTTT

having MJ and Pippen for all those years is kinda easy to win with besides some decent role players like kukoc and rodman.

and getting to chose to go to a team with Shaq and Kobe is easy to do.

so i do see how some would question him because he's always had 2 stars on each team and when he hasn't had 2 stars his teams stink (ie 2005-06 and 06-07 lakers)

not just stars though. You had the best player of all time on his Bulls squads in MJ. Pippen who is one of the 50 greatest of all time. Rodman who maybe should be.

then you have Kobe. Even though I dont care for him, I would rate him the 2nd best 2 guard behind MJ. With him, Shaq...one of the most unstoppable players of all time.

So yeah, 9 rings....thats great. But how many rings would those teams combined have won without him? Who knows. My guess....9.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 08:59:38 PM »
lol can't argue against that

who knows
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

SO PRUP

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 09:38:47 PM »
I picked undecided but I think I gotta change my mind, phil got this current laker team in 3rd place in the west and 1.5 behind phoenix (soon to be 1.0 when phoenix looses tongiht) http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:20:02 PM by SO PRUP »

swangin and bangin

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 10:51:35 PM »
lol

homie
look at his rings

and hes lucky to have some of the most talented players under his belt