Author Topic: What was your favorite sport growing up and has it changed?  (Read 938 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: What was your favorite sport growing up and has it changed?
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2008, 06:46:32 PM »
I support my home teams, why, i dunno, cause i love philadelphia, when i was younger maybe like 13 years ago my 1st best friend was a huge dallas fan and i loved them (he got me into football) and i was a fan for like 5 years, then i took a break from football, and when i started watching again several years ago, i was no longer interested in dalls, (no irving, aikman, smith, dion, etc.), so i started rooting for the eagles, and i love the eagles, they upset me a lot, but a lot of things i love about the team. Ive liked the phillies always but im not a huge baseball fan, and i did like that russian red wings team, and that hasek buffallo team, but ill still always like flyers best. I think its more of pride for my city but i like the teams. I also have like 2nd favs that are not my city team, like boston in baseball, and green bay in football, but  philly teams always come first, even if i move.

Now here's the million dollar question; if the Superbowl between Philly who had no players actually from Philly vs let's say The Steelers who had 30 of the 40 starters hometown Philly boys born and raised, who would you cheer for? Who would the fans of Philly cheer for?

As for me in general; Most people have a tendency to root for their home town. It seeps into their brain that way.I have a tendency to go against the grain. I do it in a lot of areas in life. As a kid in the 80s the Jays sucked but they were the home team. I loved the Jays. They lost. I cheered. They still lost. I still cheered. Fred McGriff was my favourite. They traded McGriff. I didn't like that but I still tried to cheer as hard as ever. Not many others in school liked them much and I didn't like that either. Then it happened; We win the damn pennant (or tie for it anyway), and all of a sudden we beat Oakland in the AL Finals. It wasn't so bad the year before because we lost in the AL Finals but now we we're going to the World Series and all these fuck head bandwagon jumping pussies started showing up out of the wood work. Go Jays Go. Bullshit. They didn't have any sky blue old jerseys. They didn't have years worth of cards (every player that ever played on the team) but they were now cheering. As their cheers grew louder mine went softer. They took away my joy with their fake cheers that weren't there a few years before that. I wasn't even happy the Jays the won. It continued even stronger the next year, and I was the only kid in the classroom, the school, with a Phillies hat and a Lenny Dykstra t-shirt. I decided then and their I would not stand with these phonies in my class. They laughed and laughed at me when the Jays won again but they could never tell me what Jimmy Key's era was, or who played first base before Johnny Olerud. They didn't even know who George Bell was. Even As a I cheered against them I knew more about the Jays than any other kid in that school.

I guess it stuck. Kelly was a call his own plays QB when no other QB really was so I cheered for him. Same reason I cheer for Manning, and Flutie when he was in the CFL. I'll cheer for a pocket passer black QB, and a scrambling white QB. If an all white defensive backfield ever came about I'd cheer for that too. Or a black place kicker. I ever see a Chinese RB I'll go nuts for him. If it's different and challenges the norm I'll give a round of applause. Just the way I am I guess.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2008, 10:03:34 AM »
I support my home teams, why, i dunno, cause i love philadelphia, when i was younger maybe like 13 years ago my 1st best friend was a huge dallas fan and i loved them (he got me into football) and i was a fan for like 5 years, then i took a break from football, and when i started watching again several years ago, i was no longer interested in dalls, (no irving, aikman, smith, dion, etc.), so i started rooting for the eagles, and i love the eagles, they upset me a lot, but a lot of things i love about the team. Ive liked the phillies always but im not a huge baseball fan, and i did like that russian red wings team, and that hasek buffallo team, but ill still always like flyers best. I think its more of pride for my city but i like the teams. I also have like 2nd favs that are not my city team, like boston in baseball, and green bay in football, but  philly teams always come first, even if i move.

Now here's the million dollar question; if the Superbowl between Philly who had no players actually from Philly vs let's say The Steelers who had 30 of the 40 starters hometown Philly boys born and raised, who would you cheer for? Who would the fans of Philly cheer for?

The team that reps and plays for your city, obviously...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2008, 10:08:20 AM »

As for me in general; Most people have a tendency to root for their home town. It seeps into their brain that way.I have a tendency to go against the grain. I do it in a lot of areas in life. As a kid in the 80s the Jays sucked but they were the home team. I loved the Jays. They lost. I cheered. They still lost. I still cheered. Fred McGriff was my favourite. They traded McGriff. I didn't like that but I still tried to cheer as hard as ever. Not many others in school liked them much and I didn't like that either. Then it happened; We win the damn pennant (or tie for it anyway), and all of a sudden we beat Oakland in the AL Finals. It wasn't so bad the year before because we lost in the AL Finals but now we we're going to the World Series and all these fuck head bandwagon jumping pussies started showing up out of the wood work. Go Jays Go. Bullshit. They didn't have any sky blue old jerseys. They didn't have years worth of cards (every player that ever played on the team) but they were now cheering. As their cheers grew louder mine went softer. They took away my joy with their fake cheers that weren't there a few years before that. I wasn't even happy the Jays the won. It continued even stronger the next year, and I was the only kid in the classroom, the school, with a Phillies hat and a Lenny Dykstra t-shirt. I decided then and their I would not stand with these phonies in my class. They laughed and laughed at me when the Jays won again but they could never tell me what Jimmy Key's era was, or who played first base before Johnny Olerud. They didn't even know who George Bell was. Even As a I cheered against them I knew more about the Jays than any other kid in that school.

So you turned on your team because of a bunch of bandwagon fags? See, I don't get that. The fact that you were a real fan from day one and cheered through all the rain shoulda' made it that much sweeter for you when your team actually started their reign. And the fact that all these bandwagon kids started cheering shoulda' made you feel proud to be on of the few real fans. Instead, you turn on your team for somethin they had no control over? I don't get this logic.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2008, 04:54:06 PM »
The rain? I cheer for my teams in tough times. The second the Jays started losing all their fans again I started buying tickets and watching games. It's just the way I am.

I'd rather cheer for a team of my people than a team from my city filled with no one from it. It's not like they chose not to play for their home town. What if you made it to the league and wanted to be a Laker but got signed by Suns and had to play with two time MVP Steve Nash? Would you just give up on all things Lakers? What if you moved to another city for a job and had kids? Would you raise them as Laker fans or fans of the city they live in?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2008, 05:28:59 PM »
The rain? I cheer for my teams in tough times. The second the Jays started losing all their fans again I started buying tickets and watching games. It's just the way I am.

I'd rather cheer for a team of my people than a team from my city filled with no one from it. It's not like they chose not to play for their home town. What if you made it to the league and wanted to be a Laker but got signed by Suns and had to play with two time MVP Steve Nash? Would you just give up on all things Lakers? What if you moved to another city for a job and had kids? Would you raise them as Laker fans or fans of the city they live in?

I'll always be a Laker fan, as I'll always rep LA. Being a player and being a fan is two completely different things. Terrible analogy.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2008, 05:59:40 PM »

I'll always be a Laker fan, as I'll always rep LA. Being a player and being a fan is two completely different things. Terrible analogy.

How so? If you play for a team aren't you by default a fan of that team regardless of what your childhood team may have been. Granted you'll never make the NBA but hypothetically if you did and you played for the Suns your whole career of 18 years or so you'd end up a Suns fan to some extent when you retired, and you'd certainly cheer for that team if you're injured and waiting to come back. But you could still have a place in your heart for the home team. I refuse to believe you'd decline signing to any team outside the Lakers.

And your kids? I'd raise my kids to follow the teams I follow. They can change and follow who they want but I'd make the attempt. Would you raise your kids as Laker fans if you lived in Chicago or would you insist they becme Bulls fans out of principle.

On a side note, it's very easy for me to hate TO teams because I hate this city to begin with. Maybe if I loved Toronto more I'd like the teams more.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2008, 06:18:13 PM »
^ I think its cause i love philly , that i love sports teams, as as for your hypothetical question, it varies, if westbrook were to get traded, id be a fan of his anywere, same with dawkins, and a couple others, shit, id even cheer mcnabb on another team, id be happier with him doing better on another team then him doing shitty in philly

Tay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Bay Area Representative
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
I've always been a fan of the Bay Area teams, the 49ers, Giants, Warriors, and Sharks. I also like to see the A's, Raiders, and Kings do well, but my favorites are set. Bandwagon fans are annoying, but it's how it goes. There are a lot of players that I really like though, whether they are local athletes or just admiring their game or how they play, so I root for them and like to see them do well, unless they are against my team.
I got a bird's eye view

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2008, 10:51:10 PM »

How so? If you play for a team aren't you by default a fan of that team regardless of what your childhood team may have been. Granted you'll never make the NBA but hypothetically if you did and you played for the Suns your whole career of 18 years or so you'd end up a Suns fan to some extent when you retired, and you'd certainly cheer for that team if you're injured and waiting to come back. But you could still have a place in your heart for the home team. I refuse to believe you'd decline signing to any team outside the Lakers.

And your kids? I'd raise my kids to follow the teams I follow. They can change and follow who they want but I'd make the attempt. Would you raise your kids as Laker fans if you lived in Chicago or would you insist they becme Bulls fans out of principle.

On a side note, it's very easy for me to hate TO teams because I hate this city to begin with. Maybe if I loved Toronto more I'd like the teams more.

You're right...I'll always have a place in my heart for the Lakers, even if I was to make the NBA and get drafted by another team. but when you're competing and trying to make a living, it's something completely different. I wouldn't restrict myself to only signing/playing with the Lakers if I were a player, cuz that would be retarded. being a fan is not the same as being a player. If I moved to Chicago with my kids, I would cheer for the Lakers in hopes that my kids follow in my footsteps and carry on the LA tradition, but I wouldn't force it upon them or restrict them to only being a Laker fan. LOL. In the end, it'll be their decision. But nothing would stop the Lakers from being my team for life...PeACe