Author Topic: Today: Rock>>>Rap  (Read 458 times)

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
Re: Today: Rock>>>Rap
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 11:04:29 PM »
90% of the hip hip i listen to is considered "underground"...but still, id rather listen to power106 for 10 hours straight rather than kroq...soulja boy>>> any of that emo shit they play.

but at the end of the day the the two stations i listen to the most are: 101.1 KEARTH and 97.1 FREEFM (tom lykis 101 mothafuccaz).

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Sikotic™

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 11:10:05 PM »
97.1 FREEFM (tom lykis 101 mothafuccaz).
That's my station too.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 11:19:41 PM »
I just listen to talk radio. Other than that, I got the iPod set up in the car for music. That's how this nigga rolls.

same here, i found that radio station that talk 24/7 sports and trash about anything i like it fuck listenning to wack ass music you dont wanna hear

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 03:21:09 AM »
it's garbage vs. dirt, you take your pick.
true story

Ali Tha Great

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 03:35:14 AM »
Normally I'd say rap is better than rock, but rap is pure dirt on the radio. The only problem, rock is just straight garbage. So it's garbage vs. dirt, you take your pick.

Side note, classic rock>modern rap... ol' skool rap>classic rock.
i choose dirt over garbage any day of the week... 8) 8) 8)

dirt>garbage...

MANBEARPIG.

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 03:41:26 AM »
I havent downloaded a hip hop album and enjoyed it since big doe rehab, I'm looking forward to the new Del whenever I get it but I'm sadly not in any rush.

check my last.fm of my top 50 artists only a handful are hip hop.  I've found a niche in indie rock and pop.  I think it has a better scene right now and I think they are having mroe fun with what they are doing.  I look at hip hop now, and I realize that I never REALLY liked a whole lot of underground shit and all my mainstream favorites haven't done too much that I'm proud of lately.  I shouldnt have to scour through 5 or 6 horrible artists to find one good one.  I'm always getting into some new band, almost every day I get something new, but I cant say the same about hip hop.  It makes me sad that I cant rely on it the way I used to be able to in High School.  Given the choice, I'd say rock>>>>hip-hop not just modern on either but I've grown up, I dont see evolution coming from hip hop in the same way, I dont ssee longevity and I sure as hell dont see me getting back into it anytime soon.  I'll always have my favorite artists, and they wont let me down but I long for the day that I'll look forward to a new hip-hop album over any other genre.

-KIDRENEGADE-

Doggystylin

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 09:49:09 AM »
Have you ever heard of Termanology? Do you listen to AZ at all? Masta Ace? Talib Kweli? There's a ton of east coast stuff worth listening to out there, if that's what you're interested in get at me and I'll hook you up right.

Down south, there's Z-Ro, Bun B, Scarface, Outkast, Chamillionaire all putting out music that could appeal to just about any rap fan looking for something beyond senseless mumbling about candy paint and crankin it. The list goes on. Like the east, I'll show you some dope southern joints if that's what you're into.

Out west, WC just dropped a vintage CD full of bangers, Ice Cube's still doing his thing, and dudes like Bishop Lamont, G. Malone, Terrace Martin, Crooked I, Roscoe are on the come up and consistently drop music worth checking out. In my opinion, northern Cali is where it's at right now. Ya Boy, San Quinn, The Jacka, A-Wax, shit even Celly Cel's still dropping solid albums (Slaps, Straps and Baseball Bats).

I don't know as much about the midwest, but Lupe Fiasco seems like a dude that some dudes fuck with. What I do know about is Tech N9ne and his whole Strange Music posse are the business. That shit's unreal. Proof used to be dope too, but he's obviously gone.

Talib Kweli, Scarface, Outkast and Chamillionaire, I got covered. I haven't really gotten into the rest that you mentioned but I'd be down to give them a chance, but my point is, these cats you're mentioning are getting no play or recognition, that makes it really hard to follow these guys as opposed to years before when these guy's WERE the people you would hear on the radio and saw on tv and everyone talked about, remember the 2001 days? Em Dre Cube WC Warren G all those guy's were the artists people would talk about.

Now its, Soulja Boy, T-Pain, and these half R&B half rap wack ass singing rapping artists who completely turn me off towards rap.

Plague

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 10:01:25 AM »
All fm radio sucks now except for some talk and sports stations. Unless you love hearing the same rotation of songs over and over again. Its the same bullshit on every station.

MediumL

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 03:24:10 PM »
The rock i hear sucks just as much as the rap i hear on the radio. Im sure rocks a lot like rap now, you need to delve underground to hear the good stuff. Killers, Artic Monkies etc aint sound that great to me. If i listen to rock its gonna be The Clash but most of the American rock i cant stand. Whiney bitches always talkin about how their girl fucks wit other guys cause they aint whiney emo bitches.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

AZ§o§a

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 04:09:07 PM »
"and fuck power 105 they dont play any dipset or cam'ron"
-killa

ha

SGV

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 06:30:41 PM »

that's KLOS... and they mostly play classic, but once in a while they will stick in some modern. The true classic rock station 93.1 (or 2) turned in to one of those Jack FM stations.

In the morning, I listen to Power because Howard Stern is no longer on Free radio. However, the afternoons and evenings go to 97.1 because Tom Leykis rules....   

Sirius is worth it. Hearing Stern uncensored is funny as fuck. They have all the freedom in the world now. I can't subject myself to listen to Big Boy in the Mornings anymore. Shit is just not funny. Like for real, that shit is stale. KDay is ass. Latino 96.3 is not my thing either. Occassionally 99.1 is cool, but too many dedications for my taste. With that said... again... Sirius is well worth the money.

As for the topic, what people fail to realize is they are no longer the people Rappers make their music for. If you were a fan back in the early to mid 90s, Hip Hop today is not made for you. It's made for the new generation of listeners. So, you're not going to hear music with you in mind. Today's rap fans want to dance and have a good time, so music is made as such. Can't expect rappers to only cater to you. Rock and Rap are two different styles (obviously) and have complete opposite types of fans. Rock bands make music for their fan base because it doesn't really change. Rap has always been young music, so it changes as new fans come along. Once there's a new batch of 18-25's out there, the music changes.

79-86: You had acts like Grandmaster Flash, Zulu Nation etc. Mainly danceable tracks... up beat, happy go lucky music.  Mainly East Coast.

87-96: A new market (West Coast) joins the fold, introduced to Gangsta music. Spawns Sex raps and Grimey NY Records.

97-03: West Coast died. East Coast was rebuilding behind Jay. The South explodes and a new market is created. Bling raps and Crunk music emerge.

04-Now: East, West and South have had their run. Crunk started dying out. A new market is used and that's the net. Myspace, Youtube... Listeners are able to access music easier and music is produced a faster rate and has less shelf life. Now people talk about hustlin', selling dope, doing dance moves in the club, ballin', and the such.

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 06:33:23 PM »
Ya know... I miss Stern ... I just might have to go the Sirius route.
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

Doggystylin

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 06:39:04 PM »
that's actually a very interesting theory you have there elliot and it makes sense but i'm not quite sure thats the whole story. i think it's bigger than that.

SGV

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 08:16:15 PM »

The drama with Eric the Midget is enough reason to pay for Sirius.

Doggy... Maybe it's bigger than that, but I doubt it. Hip Hop is a business. A business aims to sell and appeal to those who are most willing to purchase. Our generation (being the 90s Hip Hop heads) had our run. We did the Tootsie Roll. The Butterfly. Da Dip. We rode the Train. We gang banged on the streets of Compton, Watts and Long Beach. We mobbed it out with the Bay. We got gully in Shaolin, the Bridge and Crooklyn. We threw up enough Dubs to last us a life time. I think we just have to learn to move on. I don't think Hip Hop will spawn records like we got back in the 90s, but that's me looking at from the eyes of someone who grew up listening to Doggystle, Mailman, 36 Chambers etc. Like I've said before, those records for us were amazing. For kids growing up today, they look may look at the Game's records like that. T.I.'s records that way. Rick Ross, Jeezy etc. Those artists were influenced by artists WE grew up listening to, but they make music for the market today, not for us.

Doggystylin

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 09:15:45 PM »

The drama with Eric the Midget is enough reason to pay for Sirius.

Doggy... Maybe it's bigger than that, but I doubt it. Hip Hop is a business. A business aims to sell and appeal to those who are most willing to purchase. Our generation (being the 90s Hip Hop heads) had our run. We did the Tootsie Roll. The Butterfly. Da Dip. We rode the Train. We gang banged on the streets of Compton, Watts and Long Beach. We mobbed it out with the Bay. We got gully in Shaolin, the Bridge and Crooklyn. We threw up enough Dubs to last us a life time. I think we just have to learn to move on. I don't think Hip Hop will spawn records like we got back in the 90s, but that's me looking at from the eyes of someone who grew up listening to Doggystle, Mailman, 36 Chambers etc. Like I've said before, those records for us were amazing. For kids growing up today, they look may look at the Game's records like that. T.I.'s records that way. Rick Ross, Jeezy etc. Those artists were influenced by artists WE grew up listening to, but they make music for the market today, not for us.

Well if that's true then that is very sad. :(