Author Topic: *Updated* Microsoft Plans Xbox 360 Wiimote?!?!  (Read 298 times)

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
*Updated* Microsoft Plans Xbox 360 Wiimote?!?!
« on: April 07, 2008, 11:51:03 PM »
Microsoft Plans Xbox 360 Wiimote
Rumored peripheral will borrow heavily from Nintendo's designs.

April 7, 2008 - MTV News has gone to press with a pretty serious revelation that Microsoft has apparently been developing a Wiimote-like peripheral for the Xbox 360 since last August, and that a final product may see release this year. According to MTV's source within MS, Microsoft-owned game developer Rare is leading the project and is responsible for defining an interface and look for the controller.

According to MTV's source, prototypes of the controller are quite similar to the Wiimote, though Microsoft's version will apparently have four Xbox-looking face buttons, an analog rather than digital D-pad, a built-in microphone, and no port for a linked peripheral ala the Wii's Nunchuck.

Though 'borrowing' ideas from the Wiimote might seem like an easy task, MTV reports that the project has been troubled by conflicts between Rare, who's designers are aiming to expand the interface concept beyond what the Wii is capable of, and Microsoft, which is accused of wanting nothing more than a bullet-point copy of Nintendo's controller so game developers will have an easy time porting titles between the consoles. MTV's source also suggests that Microsoft is developing a Mii-like avatar system for Xbox Live.
-IGN.com

*UPDATE*

"Not so long ago, a major rumor dropped courtesy of an MTV source that Microsoft was developing a Wiimote-style peripheral for the Xbox 360. Many were shocked at the totally crazy news, but truth be told, there have been rumblings about the possibility for some time. That report just added a big pile of legitimacy to the whispers.

Now 8bitjoystick, a blog known for close affiliation with somebody at Microsoft, is confirming that the peripheral indeed exists under the codename "Newton," and that the public could see the device by this winter.

Their details tell of a device using licensed Gyration patents—the same firm Nintendo scored much of their tech—that utilizes an LED sensor bar, accelerometers and gyroscope, as well as separate 2-way wireless communication (just like the Wiimote uses Bluetooth, the 36mote would probably use Microsoft's proprietary frequency).

8bitjoystick speculates that the Xbox Play & Charge battery pack will fit in the controller, and will dictate much of its design (assuring curved edges and a dual-AA width).

My thought on the matter is why wouldn't Microsoft make such a device? So what if it flops? So what if Microsoft loses a few licensing dollars? A 360mote would allow Microsoft to compete with not just Sony, but Nintendo as well. " - kotaku

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 01:27:58 AM by Black_Smoke »

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: Microsoft Plans Xbox 360 Wiimote?!?!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 12:37:30 AM »
Ugh.

I need some meaning I can memorize
The kind I have always seems to slip my mind

Sofa_King_Awesome

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Five poppin' Six droppin'
are you people that dumb and slow...lol...
Tuff one...but quik is up there...put it on me is classic imo and on some detox shit...dj lethal>>dj quik....rza>>premo.....dre>>>quik....rza=dre....dre, rza, quik, dj lethal>>>>>timberland, rockwielder, EIMINEM, mannie fresh

yukmouth23

• 'G'
  • Hip Hop will never die
Re: Microsoft Plans Xbox 360 Wiimote?!?!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 10:42:20 PM »
thanks for the info sounds good

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: *Updated* Microsoft Plans Xbox 360 Wiimote?!?!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 01:29:02 AM »
This could be huge if it is indeed true and Microsoft uses it the right way

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 01:04:35 PM »

The right way would be to not use that shit at all.

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 05:44:13 PM »

It will probably be optional, use that or the 360 controller, I would be down with using something like the wiimote in certain games. Graphics and sound would be so much better on the 360!

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 08:23:47 PM »

It will probably be optional, use that or the 360 controller, I would be down with using something like the wiimote in certain games. Graphics and sound would be so much better on the 360!

I just wish these motion controllers would go away. The only time they are fun is with little mini games, like Wii Sports. Beyond that, I absolutely hate it, and hate nintendo for making it popular.

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 05:06:39 PM »
i dont like the wii either but we are a minority not liking it that system is selling like crazy.