Author Topic: So I'm writing a paper about how to turn Fight Club into a musical  (Read 451 times)

Ali Tha Great

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: So I'm writing a paper about how to turn Fight Club into a musical
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 03:18:23 PM »
What's the point of quoting yourself again? I read it the first time. Do you want a reaction from me to your post?
LMMFAO... ;D ;D ;D

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 03:42:47 PM »
What's the point of quoting yourself again? I read it the first time. Do you want a reaction from me to your post?

no, not really. i was going to type up this elaborate post about how even though USC (fine institution btw, i got accepted there but couldn't afford it) says "HEY make fight club a musical" i'm still not apt to having THAT movie, a personal favorite of mine, being turned into a musical.  but then i realized i'd just be repeating what i said before pointing out how disappointed i was with sweeney todd. Plus there's something about turning a man's movie, such as fight club, into a musical that feminises it. so no matter how "artsy fartsy" you make it , it still takes away from that allure. I refuse to ever be down with such movement.  Also i feel that music should never be forced upon, it should be natural......tyler durden singing about soap would diminish the movie DRASTICALLY just like Sweeny todd Singing about his "friends".

We need one of those beer commercials that makes another man law about which movies you CAN NOT pussy out by making them a musical

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Doggystylin

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 01:44:49 AM »

no, not really. i was going to type up this elaborate post about how even though USC (fine institution btw, i got accepted there but couldn't afford it) says "HEY make fight club a musical" i'm still not apt to having THAT movie, a personal favorite of mine, being turned into a musical.  but then i realized i'd just be repeating what i said before pointing out how disappointed i was with sweeney todd. Plus there's something about turning a man's movie, such as fight club, into a musical that feminises it. so no matter how "artsy fartsy" you make it , it still takes away from that allure. I refuse to ever be down with such movement.  Also i feel that music should never be forced upon, it should be natural......tyler durden singing about soap would diminish the movie DRASTICALLY just like Sweeny todd Singing about his "friends".

We need one of those beer commercials that makes another man law about which movies you CAN NOT pussy out by making them a musical

I don't think you understand, its and assignment where you have to adapt modern day movie into a musical and you have to use the myths and conventions of the genre which you have learned in class into adapting the film. It's a fucking paper assignment to make sure you know how to produce a musical. Now they tell you to give them 3 of your favorite films and they will suggest which one out of those three is the most adaptable and then you proceed with your paper.

Also, your opinion on musicals being feminine is completely irrelevant to whether fight club could work as a musical. you just simply think musicals have to be feminine. Fight Club is an intellectual psychological film which makes it adaptable. And there could be many things about the film musical without it seeming "artsy fartsy".

JAZ

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 02:36:47 AM »
shiiiit.

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 11:45:48 AM »
You know, I think Fight Club would work really well as a musical. The idea is sort of funny at first, but on the real it could really work. It has classic theatrical elements in it, with the insanity plot twist, the disfunctional love affair, the main character wanting something different in his life, getting it but then hating it and whatnot - all that crap.

Wouldn't know how to exactly adapt it all though. All I can think of is the scene where one of the dudes die and the club members come up with the whole "in death a club member has a name" -thing. It's a pivotal scene in the sense that the main character thinks the club has gone too far and starts to further distance himself from it. I haven't watched it in a while so I don't remember it too well.

That's one scene I'd surely turn into a musical number. You could have the club members chant the "his name was such-and-such" and glorifying his death in song, and on the other hand have the Edward Norton character expressing his thoughts about the whole thing being wrong in song. It would really have the "Club vs. Norton's character" -element brought forward - both in the sense that they'd represent opposite sides on the song, but also in the sense that it would be a powerful chorus vs. a solo performance.

Think about it, it'd be great.

Feel free to use any of this if it helps, I just like coming up with weird shit like this, he he.

What I'd do - pop the DVD in, sit down, take notes and weed out the key scenes and plot movements. An outline for an adaption basically writes itself.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 06:42:45 PM »

I don't think you understand, its and assignment where you have to adapt modern day movie into a musical and you have to use the myths and conventions of the genre which you have learned in class into adapting the film. It's a fucking paper assignment to make sure you know how to produce a musical. Now they tell you to give them 3 of your favorite films and they will suggest which one out of those three is the most adaptable and then you proceed with your paper.

Also, your opinion on musicals being feminine is completely irrelevant to whether fight club could work as a musical. you just simply think musicals have to be feminine. Fight Club is an intellectual psychological film which makes it adaptable. And there could be many things about the film musical without it seeming "artsy fartsy".

1. i'm well aware it's an assignment
2. on that note, if its the most addaptable doesn't mean it's going to do the book/movie justice
3. i never said that musicals have to be feminine or that all are, BUT with that said, there is a very froppish/feminine air to a musical that you can't deny, and with THAT said i don't think you can take such a man staple as Fight Club, make it into a musical, without adding (for lack of a better word) queer eliment to it. i don't care if the music is all Death metal, it still queers up the source material.
4. at the end of the day it might be the most adaptable from your list of 3, and i see where your instructor is going (be glad he's being easy on you), but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

so with thaaaaaat said ...you still get an F.

Doggystylin

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 07:39:32 PM »

1. i'm well aware it's an assignment
2. on that note, if its the most addaptable doesn't mean it's going to do the book/movie justice
3. i never said that musicals have to be feminine or that all are, BUT with that said, there is a very froppish/feminine air to a musical that you can't deny, and with THAT said i don't think you can take such a man staple as Fight Club, make it into a musical, without adding (for lack of a better word) queer eliment to it. i don't care if the music is all Death metal, it still queers up the source material.
4. at the end of the day it might be the most adaptable from your list of 3, and i see where your instructor is going (be glad he's being easy on you), but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

so with thaaaaaat said ...you still get an F.

If you understand it's an assignment then what are you giving an F to? the idea? I'd prefer Fight Club the way it is also but like I said it's an assignment.

and How is my instructor going easy on me? What are you talking about dude?

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »
1. yes i'm giving an f to the idea of doing that.
2. he's easy because he let you choose out of your 3 favorite...most junior/senior level classes arn't so nice. they usually choose.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 11:27:44 PM »
2. he's easy because he let you choose out of your 3 favorite...most junior/senior level classes arn't so nice. they usually choose.

He picked three films, and they basically told him which one to do it on. 

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 11:30:34 PM »

He picked three films, and they basically told him which one to do it on. 

yeah that's what i meant to say. still easy though.

Doggystylin

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 11:37:20 PM »
Ok well technically I guess you're giving an F to the assignment idea which has nothing to do with me. So your F donation can be applied to the instructor's idea of an assignment because of your opinion which lacks complete objective of what is supposed to be taught in such an assignment.

Also its not about being easy by giving us 3 options, it's about seeing which one of the three are most adaptable so we won't make fools out of ourselves by trying to adapt a film like Menace II Society into a musical which couldn't work. It's a upper division critical studies class so trust me, nothing is easy about it.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 02:51:05 PM »
1. i already said why i gave it an F

2. he's still being nice because he could've given you his own list of a bunch of movies you'd probably never like/bored with.

Doggystylin

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 04:12:07 PM »
Nevermind dude. Go Lakers

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 05:17:57 PM »
i thought you were a kings fan?

Ali Tha Great

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 05:39:09 PM »
i thought you were a kings fan?
lol...naw i don't think he is...ever since i remember he's been a hardcore laker fan...