Author Topic: New Nas - Be A Nigger Too [NODJ][DIRTY]  (Read 790 times)

Australian Bastard

Re: New Nas - Be A Nigger Too [NODJ][DIRTY]
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 10:29:58 PM »
In a way NaS is actually setting rules with this word, with this word in rap music by taking it and using it up, i'm not saying there won't be anymore use of word in rap music, that naive, i don't even think it really matters if artists use the word but alot of the time in rap its just: nigga, nigga, nigga, thats all the song is about, its stupid, theres no art to it. Nas is setting the boundary with the word, kinda saying OK if you are going to use that word do it with some artistic merit and substance, do it with intelligence, don't just be a Lil 'Minstrel Show' Jon nigger.
turn the radios up you are now allowed to listen to the radio the real niggers are back on the radio

So you honestly believe if the rest of the album is on par with this type of song.  The rest of the rappers will think and say "Gee, I'm using the word n!gga too much, I'ma tone it down".

I think every rapper has their quota of the word and nothing is gonna change their rate of using it.  Nas isn't accomplishing anything here except from beating us over the head with something we already know and turning it into something way more annoying.

Read the shit before you post deadshit.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:33:20 PM by Illuminatus Overfiendus »

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 10:51:49 PM »
In a way NaS is actually setting rules with this word, with this word in rap music by taking it and using it up, i'm not saying there won't be anymore use of word in rap music, that naive, i don't even think it really matters if artists use the word but alot of the time in rap its just: nigga, nigga, nigga, thats all the song is about, its stupid, theres no art to it. Nas is setting the boundary with the word, kinda saying OK if you are going to use that word do it with some artistic merit and substance, do it with intelligence, don't just be a Lil 'Minstrel Show' Jon nigger.
turn the radios up you are now allowed to listen to the radio the real niggers are back on the radio

So you honestly believe if the rest of the album is on par with this type of song.  The rest of the rappers will think and say "Gee, I'm using the word n!gga too much, I'ma tone it down".

I think every rapper has their quota of the word and nothing is gonna change their rate of using it.  Nas isn't accomplishing anything here except from beating us over the head with something we already know and turning it into something way more annoying.

Yes, but the majority of ur post is saying otherwise.. 

So do you think it's gonna change or not?

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 11:05:08 PM »

I seriously doubt Nas is hoping for anybody to stop using the word with this song. I think damn near everybody is missing the entire point of the song.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 11:07:16 PM »

I seriously doubt Nas is hoping for anybody to stop using the word with this song. I think damn near everybody is missing the entire point of the song.

What is the point of the song then?

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 11:08:03 PM »

What is the point of the song then?

see my post in the other thread on this topic.

edit: for you lazy fucks... http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=177952.0
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:12:30 PM by Turf Hitta »

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 11:46:56 PM »
with sum much criticism over the hook, am i the only one who remembers NWA doing this same exact thing on the 'efi4lzaggin' album over 15 years ago? hardly a new concept
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2008, 11:50:37 PM »
with sum much criticism over the hook, am i the only one who remembers NWA doing this same exact thing on the 'efi4lzaggin' album over 15 years ago? hardly a new concept

And that was whack too, whats ur point?

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 01:12:21 AM »
Song is ight, propz. I want "What It Is" to be his first official single, that songs sounds fuckin sick, hopefully it drops soon!!!

Australian Bastard

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 02:35:42 AM »

Seriously, my posts are not that hard to follow or comprehend. You can't expect a yes or no/good or bad/black or white answer to such a complex social issue, because there isn't one.

Nas is not guaranteed to change shit. But the point is not to change shit, because you can't expect rappers or anybody to do your thinking for you. The point is to get people to start using their brains and to stimulate debate within people's own minds. Thats Hip-Hop.
As I said thats the difference I see between Nas and the horrendous writhing mass of whack rappers, whack rappers will simply make a song based off the word 'nigger', about killing niggaz or how niggaz be gettin they paper ( in conjunction with 'bling' or 'swag', etc) to appeal to the most base of human emotions and thoughts, whereas you got cats like Nas who will say 'OK. if its all about the N-word then lets do the N-word' and do something hard hitting, thought provoking with it, thats what NaS is like...(and a minority of other respectable artists, Wu-Tang, Wu-Tang, Killa Priest... ). I guess what Job is getting at is that he is probably sick of the 'N-word' being such a big thing in general, which I find understandable, even if Nas means it to be thought provoking.

before black im first human
-Wyclef Jean

PEACE.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 03:12:12 AM by Illuminatus Overfiendus »

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 03:12:22 AM »
ayo props on that man

Elevz

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2008, 03:18:09 AM »
hahah eye just laugh at all these responses. if this board is truly all white people (which eye dont even believe because if its all europens how come eye dont see nothing in any european languages).

Why, Job, this board's based in the UK and the average member of this board is American. The people on this board have some things in common; most importantly a background that in some way involves hip-hop, and the English language as a common denominator. There have been some threads in different languages before, but you wouldn't want people to behave that maladjusted all the time, would you? What's the point of having discussions in French on an English board? It only keeps certain others away, who otherwise might have had something to contribute to the thread.

Now back to the subject:

that Nas should be ashamed of himself. it aint like we dont got enough of ya walkin around tryin to be cool by sayin "nigga". now Nas coming out with this bullshit with weak rhymes on top of that. eye am sorry but this  whole "nigger" album shit is all for the dough and publicity congratz Nas you just sold your soul to the devil to make these pale face crackers happy and give them something to laugh at us about.
fuckin bullshit

Do you honestly think this song promotes the use of the word "nigga" by whites, nevermind by anyone at all? It's obvious that Nas is doing these things mainly for publicity, especially since he doesn't ever back his statements up by building a whole album around it (with the exception of Street's Disciple, which wasn't surrounded by a controversial issue). Regardless of his puppet-like behavior, Nas does make his statements, and although everyone already knew the message, he transforms it so that it does leave an impact. Regardless of the song's musical level, I do think the cynical approach of self-mockery that Nas used here serves its purpose.

[...] We hear the word 'nigger' so much already in rap music. It ain't no thing to hear that word thrown around in a rap song, thats what NaS is demonstrating with the chorus.
NaS is trying to milk the word for all it's worth, BUT, thats nothing that rappers have not done before, the  difference is NaS will do it with more intelligence and insight than your average rapper and do it with substance, his shit make you think [...]

In a way NaS is actually setting rules with this word, with this word in rap music by taking it and using it up, i'm not saying there won't be anymore use of word in rap music, that naive, i don't even think it really matters if artists use the word but alot of the time in rap its just: nigga, nigga, nigga, thats all the song is about, its stupid, theres no art to it. Nas is setting the boundary with the word, kinda saying OK if you are going to use that word do it with some artistic merit and substance, do it with intelligence, don't just be a Lil Jon 'Minstrel Show' nigger.

It has to start somewhere. You can't deny Nas is an artist with a pretty large audience, and the things he says through his interviews and, most importantly, his music do give shape to the sphere of ideas. People notice it, they pay attention to it, they consider it, and then comes the process of recycling the music through listening to it over and over again... In a way, rap music is a great tool for propagandistic purposes. One song may not seem relevant all by itself, but it can contribute greatly to what people think and how they feel about certain issues.

Besides, I think Nas is doing a good job when it comes to making people aware of what they do, how they do it and why they do it. If a black guy calls his friends niggas - why the hell would you use a racially charged word to address your friends? Regardless of whether you mean it in a positive way - it doesn't change the word. If you want to get rid of the negativity surrounding the words nigger and nigga, better not use the word at all instead of reminding people of it all the time.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 03:22:10 AM »

Seriously, my posts are not that hard to follow or comprehend. You can't expect a yes or no/good or bad/black or white answer to such a complex social issue, because there isn't one.

Nas is not guaranteed to change shit. But the point is not to change shit, because you can't expect rappers or anybody to do your thinking for you. The point is to get people to start using their brains and to stimulate debate within people's own minds. Thats Hip-Hop.
As I said thats the difference I see between Nas and the horrendous writhing mass of whack rappers, whack rappers will simply make a song based off the word 'nigger', about killing niggaz or how niggaz be gettin they paper ( in conjunction with 'bling' or 'swag', etc) to appeal to the most base of human emotions and thoughts, whereas you got cats like Nas who will say 'OK. if its all about the N-word then lets do the N-word' and do something hard hitting, thought provoking with it, thats what NaS is like...(and a minority of other respectable artists). I guess what Job is getting at is that he is probably sick of the 'N-word' being such a big thing in general, which I find understandable, even if Nas means it to be thought provoking.

-Wyclef Jean

PEACE.

Okay, but I'm trying to say it's not gonna provoke thoughts.  I listen to this track..   Oh Nas wants to use the word n*gger as an example..  that hasnt been done?   It has.  Numerous rappers speak on it.   I don't see why how Nas can do a whole song about it and ppl are so fuckin hyped about it?  

And the bling/killing rap you talk about from whack wrappers..   Half of this song is just that.   "uzi on my nightstand" "ill put u in the casket" "my clique still real QB gangstas" "faster cars than nasa"   Same fuckin shit.  

Maybe if you were tremendously smoked out u would stop and think about this track as something fresh.  But to me it's just going overboard on a topic we are already very aware of..

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 03:28:32 AM »

Besides, I think Nas is doing a good job when it comes to making people aware of what they do, how they do it and why they do it. If a black guy calls his friends niggas - why the hell would you use a racially charged word to address your friends? Regardless of whether you mean it in a positive way - it doesn't change the word. If you want to get rid of the negativity surrounding the words nigger and nigga, better not use the word at all instead of reminding people of it all the time.

Exactly, if Nas is doing anything here it's promoting the use of the word by dropping it so many times.  Dudes already know wtf they doing when they holler that shit.  You either don't think anything negative of it already, or u have a higher respect and don't use it.  This song isn't gonna make anyone stop using it.  It's an A/B choice u have to live with. 

I see Nas' intent with this, but he totally went about it the wrong way.   He should have wrote a song describing how the word is affecting people, not just beating us over the heads with it thinking we will get sick of it..

Elevz

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 03:32:03 AM »
And the bling/killing rap you talk about from whack wrappers..   Half of this song is just that.   "uzi on my nightstand" "ill put u in the casket" "my clique still real QB gangstas" "faster cars than nasa"   Same fuckin shit.

That's precisely my problem with the music that Nas has been putting out. He claims to make a point on one hand, yet he drifts away from his message and even tends towards the opposite direction, in the very same song. It's the reason why the album Hip-Hop Is Dead was a rather hypocrit piece of music.

Exactly, if Nas is doing anything here it's promoting the use of the word by dropping it so many times.  Dudes already know wtf they doing when they holler that shit.  You either don't think anything negative of it already, or u have a higher respect and don't use it.  This song isn't gonna make anyone stop using it.  It's an A/B choice u have to live with. 

I see Nas' intent with this, but he totally went about it the wrong way.   He should have wrote a song describing how the word is affecting people, not just beating us over the heads with it thinking we will get sick of it..

That's not what I meant. :D I actually think the approach Nas takes makes people more aware of why and how they do these things. Like Overfiend said, Nas doesn't just throw the word nigga around; he's giving some meaning to it and actually saying something through using the word. It should contribute to peoples awareness, even if that contribution is only limited in size.

Australian Bastard

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 05:11:02 AM »

As I said thats the difference I see between Nas and the horrendous writhing mass of whack rappers, whack rappers will simply make a song based off the word 'nigger', about killing niggaz or how niggaz be gettin they paper ( in conjunction with 'bling' or 'swag', etc) to appeal to the most base of human emotions and thoughts, whereas you got cats like Nas who will say 'OK. if its all about the N-word then lets do the N-word' and do something hard hitting, thought provoking with it, thats what NaS is like...(and a minority of other respectable artists). I guess what Job is getting at is that he is probably sick of the 'N-word' being such a big thing in general, which I find understandable, even if Nas means it to be thought provoking.

-Wyclef Jean

PEACE.

Okay, but I'm trying to say it's not gonna provoke thoughts.  I listen to this track..   Oh Nas wants to use the word n*gger as an example..  that hasnt been done?   It has.  Numerous rappers speak on it.   I don't see why how Nas can do a whole song about it and ppl are so fuckin hyped about it?  

And the bling/killing rap you talk about from whack wrappers..   Half of this song is just that.   "uzi on my nightstand" "ill put u in the casket" "my clique still real QB gangstas" "faster cars than nasa"   Same fuckin shit.  

Maybe if you were tremendously smoked out u would stop and think about this track as something fresh.  But to me it's just going overboard on a topic we are already very aware of..

A) If the track dosn't provoke thoughts or thinking then that is your own problem, not anybody elses. I for one find the track more interesting and thought provoking than alot of the tripe I stumble across on the radio or tv. Thats how i like my music, whether there are lyrics or not. The subject matter is actually nothing unique, its nothing alot of underground rappers have not touched on before, however NaS is high profile so he gets more attention.

B) Thats NaS, he is not a sterotypical character by comparison and why should he be, would you like hip-hop to be compartmentalized into the conscious rappers on one side and the thug rappers on the other, life and human beings are not that simple so why should, hip-hop, an artform also be?

C) Again, thats just your personal opion whether the song is to be deemed fresh is subjective. Instrumentally, I'm not blown away by it, its good to hear Nas spit and I like how the song has substance. You probably are sick of having the 'N-word' used so much, yeah its a concept thats been played the fuck out, but still, im looking forward to see whether the album is going to be good and i think it will have to be, intellectually and musically, to warrant soo much attention whoring by NaS.