Author Topic: Favourite Year In West Coast Rap Music?  (Read 924 times)

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Favourite Year In West Coast Rap Music?
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 06:42:48 AM »
UCC?

i understand  ;)

but how is the aftermath compilation not up to his usual standards?
i can understand that you were expecting something different back then ( from that point i probably would have had a similar reaction) but if you look back at it now ( not sure if that's what you meant with "same thing with the Dre album") you probably agree with me that you used to have the wrong impression of what the aftermath compilation was going to be like.

so i also disagree with the statement about the staff; some of the people that were part of the "first" aftermath producers team were already working with Dre back at death row.

the aftermath compilation is far from being a personal favorite to me, but that's another story.

Well yeah, it just had Dre's name on it, so everyone was expecting that next hot shit, but it's not a Dre album - but still the beats weren't all that compared to like California Love or anything before that. Like everything Dre had been involved in up to that point was pure illness, so when that came out it was like uh oh, has he lost his touch, it's not bad but it's not what we're used to

so you're saying that even your least favorite Dre productions from the death row era are better to you, than Dre's productions on the aftermath compilation?

I'm here, I'm here! lol

Yeah, I'd say Dre's productions on Death Row are all better than his aftermath comp ones...  he didn't really do that many beats on Death Row, and the quality was so high on all of them... plus the beats were just so raw and gritty and organic and huge and had so much stuff in them... on the Aftermath comp I felt like he hadn't really found the new style yet, like for 2001, so he had dope beats on there, but nothing as good as the Death Row stuff IMO

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2008, 06:55:27 AM »
UCC?

i understand  ;)

but how is the aftermath compilation not up to his usual standards?
i can understand that you were expecting something different back then ( from that point i probably would have had a similar reaction) but if you look back at it now ( not sure if that's what you meant with "same thing with the Dre album") you probably agree with me that you used to have the wrong impression of what the aftermath compilation was going to be like.

so i also disagree with the statement about the staff; some of the people that were part of the "first" aftermath producers team were already working with Dre back at death row.

the aftermath compilation is far from being a personal favorite to me, but that's another story.

Well yeah, it just had Dre's name on it, so everyone was expecting that next hot shit, but it's not a Dre album - but still the beats weren't all that compared to like California Love or anything before that. Like everything Dre had been involved in up to that point was pure illness, so when that came out it was like uh oh, has he lost his touch, it's not bad but it's not what we're used to

so you're saying that even your least favorite Dre productions from the death row era are better to you, than Dre's productions on the aftermath compilation?

I'm here, I'm here! lol

Yeah, I'd say Dre's productions on Death Row are all better than his aftermath comp ones...  he didn't really do that many beats on Death Row, and the quality was so high on all of them... plus the beats were just so raw and gritty and organic and huge and had so much stuff in them... on the Aftermath comp I felt like he hadn't really found the new style yet, like for 2001, so he had dope beats on there, but nothing as good as the Death Row stuff IMO

hey !  ;) yeah i was just wondering what's up  ;)

anyway, i see what you mean  ;) and i respect your taste offcourse  :)

ok let's make the comparison even more specific then  ;)

compare the "better" beats from the aftermath compilation, with the following :

- doggy dogg world
- Lodi Lodi
- U Better Recognize remix
- Pump Pump
- California Love remix
- Niggaz don't give a fuck

would you say these one are better than the 'better' beats from the aftermath compilation?

just wondering  :)

D-Stress

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 08:40:14 AM »
1994-1996

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2008, 06:18:52 AM »
ok let's make the comparison even more specific then  ;)

compare the "better" beats from the aftermath compilation, with the following :

- doggy dogg world
- Lodi Lodi
- U Better Recognize remix
- Pump Pump
- California Love remix
- Niggaz don't give a fuck

would you say these one are better than the 'better' beats from the aftermath compilation?

- Doggy Doggy World.... is awesome IMO, musically and the way it's mixed, loads going on in it, and the version on the single with extra percussion and shit makes it even that much better, so yeah, that's definitely better to me
- U Better Recognize remix.... is that the one from the video? I remember it not being as good as the original version but I'd say musically I like it as much as the beats on the Aftermath comp, and the mixing and the sounds he uses are doper IMO, so I do like it better than anything on the Aftermath comp
- Pump Pump... is a ridiculous beat to me, so no contest, it beats anything on the comp for me
- California Love remix.... again, incredible to me, so much going on musically, loads of different parts, great mix... I preferred the remix over the single version, so again I think it's waaaay better than anything on the comp

Though you may have a point with these two -

-Lodi Dodi.... never was one of my hugely favorite beats, Snoop's flip of the Slick Rick lyrics is the main thing on there, though it's a solid beat... I think it's perfect for the vocal though... if I had to listen to just the instrumental of this or something like Been There Done That, then yeah, maybe I'd choose Been There Done That, but I think the Lodi Dodi beat is perfect for the vocal... and I think it's mixed better too, and has better sounds in it... even though just musically it's not like WOW, like the rest of Doggystyle
- Niggaz don't give a fuck.... is this the one on Above The Rim or Poetic Justice? I thought Daz produced both of those....

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2008, 10:15:13 AM »
there is too many to name. 93,94,95,96,97,99,2000. some of the best shit came out in those tears.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2008, 11:28:23 AM »

- Doggy Doggy World.... is awesome IMO, musically and the way it's mixed, loads going on in it, and the version on the single with extra percussion and shit makes it even that much better, so yeah, that's definitely better to me

i see; well i think it's decent at best  ;)

- U Better Recognize remix.... is that the one from the video? I remember it not being as good as the original version but I'd say musically I like it as much as the beats on the Aftermath comp, and the mixing and the sounds he uses are doper IMO, so I do like it better than anything on the Aftermath comp
what video?
anyway, not sure on what release the remix originially was on.
if you haven't got it yet, i can hook you up with it.

by the way, i think the production wasn't bad at all, just a little boring  ;)

- Pump Pump... is a ridiculous beat to me, so no contest, it beats anything on the comp for me
i see  ;)
well i think it sucks  :laugh:

- California Love remix.... again, incredible to me, so much going on musically, loads of different parts, great mix... I preferred the remix over the single version, so again I think it's waaaay better than anything on the comp
i understand.
well i like the vibe of the original a lot more  ;)
the remix is way too long, and it's a little too slow (i can't really describe it properly, but it feels a lot less energetic)

Though you may have a point with these two -

-Lodi Dodi.... never was one of my hugely favorite beats, Snoop's flip of the Slick Rick lyrics is the main thing on there, though it's a solid beat... I think it's perfect for the vocal though... if I had to listen to just the instrumental of this or something like Been There Done That, then yeah, maybe I'd choose Been There Done That, but I think the Lodi Dodi beat is perfect for the vocal... and I think it's mixed better too, and has better sounds in it... even though just musically it's not like WOW, like the rest of Doggystyle
i see what you mean; well it's just sounds so slow/lazy  :P

- Niggaz don't give a fuck.... is this the one on Above The Rim or Poetic Justice? I thought Daz produced both of those....
Poetic Justice.

well:

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=51203

Dre produced it  ;)

PS: have you listened to the aftermath compilation recently?

StevenMarkAss

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2008, 08:10:29 AM »
92 and 96.

cantoms

• 'G'
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »
I wanted to go with either 92 or 96, but I'll always like the 88-89 period.  It's where the two albums that hooked me - Straight Outta Compton and Eazy Duz It - came from.  Ice-T was doing his best work then, too.  I like going back to those albums every now and then and even putting on some of the less "popular" (I don't know if that's the right word..) albums - Tone-Loc comes to mind right now.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2008, 08:23:19 AM »

ok what about:

- Eastcoast/Westcoast Killas: i think it's a heater and it was nice to hear different type of artists spit a verse ( dope chorus too) :)

-Blunt Time - another hard hitter   ;) the production is like a mix of Dre's old style & newer style(at the time off course  ;) ) plus it fits RBX well.

i'll skip been there done that, since you already brought that one up ( by the way, i didn't like that one at first; i thought it missed some power. it grew on me later though)

-Fame; i think this is my favourite production off of the compilation  8) i love the dark vibe  :)
notice all the different type of elements in there; the flute, the guitars, etc.  8)
the best part is towards the end, that instrumental is brilliant  8)

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2008, 08:58:53 AM »
ok what about:

- Eastcoast/Westcoast Killas: i think it's a heater and it was nice to hear different type of artists spit a verse ( dope chorus too) :)

-Blunt Time - another hard hitter   ;) the production is like a mix of Dre's old style & newer style(at the time off course  ;) ) plus it fits RBX well.

i'll skip been there done that, since you already brought that one up ( by the way, i didn't like that one at first; i thought it missed some power. it grew on me later though)

-Fame; i think this is my favourite production off of the compilation  8) i love the dark vibe  :)
notice all the different type of elements in there; the flute, the guitars, etc.  8)

- Eastcoast/Westcoast Killas: it's dope and the MCs and everything is ill, but the beat, like the drums and the wide mixing and the synth noises and stuff don't really do it for me... it's dope, but it also sounds a little stilted, like it's somehow not moving together properly

-Blunt Time is dope, Fame is dope, they're dope musically, it's mainly the way they're put together and mixed and the sounds he uses I don't like - they seem big and synthy and not as hard or sharp or elegant even as his Doggystyle beats... I think he got the big, synthy type of style right on 2001, but I see the comp as a crossover point where the synth sounds he was using weren't that dope, his drums were a bit drum machiney, everything was mixed big but didn't feel that tight...

I basically think that if you got today's Dre, or Doggystyle's Dre to go back and re-record the parts of those beats with better sounds and mix them harder and tighter as well then they'd be on the same level

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2008, 10:10:13 AM »
ok what about:

- Eastcoast/Westcoast Killas: it's dope and the MCs and everything is ill, but the beat, like the drums and the wide mixing and the synth noises and stuff don't really do it for me... it's dope, but it also sounds a little stilted, like it's somehow not moving together properly

-Blunt Time is dope, Fame is dope, they're dope musically, it's mainly the way they're put together and mixed and the sounds he uses I don't like - they seem big and synthy and not as hard or sharp or elegant even as his Doggystyle beats... I think he got the big, synthy type of style right on 2001, but I see the comp as a crossover point where the synth sounds he was using weren't that dope, his drums were a bit drum machiney, everything was mixed big but didn't feel that tight...

I basically think that if you got today's Dre, or Doggystyle's Dre to go back and re-record the parts of those beats with better sounds and mix them harder and tighter as well then they'd be on the same level

ok i think i got a better vision of your thoughts of the production of the aftermath compilation.

but i'm still a bit confused; don't you mean that you have more problems with the actual production than the mixing?

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2008, 11:56:14 AM »
ok what about:

ok i think i got a better vision of your thoughts of the production of the aftermath compilation.

but i'm still a bit confused; don't you mean that you have more problems with the actual production than the mixing?

Both - the mixing doesn't make the beats sound quite as crisp and hard as the Doggystyle stuff... a case of just panning stuff differently and how he's EQed and compressed the tracks... as well as the synth noises, drum sounds he's used which don't sound as dope to me

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2008, 12:01:44 PM »
Both - the mixing doesn't make the beats sound quite as crisp and hard as the Doggystyle stuff... a case of just panning stuff differently and how he's EQed and compressed the tracks... as well as the synth noises, drum sounds he's used which don't sound as dope to me

i see  ;)
the comparison you made with 2001 makes a lot more sense to me now  ;)