Author Topic: The Watchmen  (Read 1386 times)

the ghost

Re: The Watchmen
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »
I was impressed with the "book" and I'm really just hoping for an accurate movie.  So far from what I've seen it seems they are really trying to be faithful to the original which is a good thing.  I think its a good "hero" story in that really only 1 has any special powers to speak of.  We have had so many movies lately with all kinds of different superheros, and most of the dudes are regular guys, and gals.  Here's hoping it's half a good as the comic:)

Westcoastin'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Revenge is the sweetest joy next to gettin pussy
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 10:09:11 PM »
I saw a trailer in the summer that looked wicked, so I went and got the book..  I dont see how it'l translate onto the big screen

but who knows, ill light up a spliff and go see it in imax.. im sure it'l be entertaining
been rockin' longer than niggas twice my age
back in the days before Bob Marley was rockin' a fade
before Honest Abe signed the paper that freed slaves
before Neanderthals was drawing on walls in caves
I existed, in the garden of Eden gettin' lifted
stickin' dick to Eve before she was Adam's mistress
before Christ created Christmas, I been in lyrical fitness
the Canibus is spittin' til' he's spitless - Canibus

LeftCoaster22

• Lil Geezy
  • I love my job working with hollywood.com :)
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 01:16:36 PM »
Watchmen just had it's world premiere in London... and the reviews were very mixed!

Robbie Collin of News of the World had nothing but negativity towards the film..."This two-and-a-half-hour wannabe pop culture epic isn't the worst superhero movie ever made ... But it is one of the most spirit-crushingly disappointing."

Early Reviews: Worth Watching 'Watchmen'? >> http://www.hollywood.com/news/Early_Reviews_Worth_Watching_Watchmen/5404005
Regardless of what the critics are saying... I still want to see it!

the ghost

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 01:23:42 PM »
Thanks for the info Left Coaster....I guess I'll hope for the best.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 03:36:16 PM »
looks corny as fuck to me....

Read the comics. It is far and away the best thing to ever come out of the comic world. So good that it's the only book that ever gets mentioned in best novel lists.

Alan Moore has said it was never meant to be a film and even wrote the story with that mind. Watchmen was written not to show that you can make a great movie or novel, but written to show what you can do with comics that cannot be done in film or literature. It's a fucking masterpiece.

That being said I don't look forward to the film at all. I really believe that the best thing about it will end up being the Smashing Pumpkins song in the trailer.
im not a comics guy at all so its not really targeted towards me so its all good. to me even the costumes just look goofy though,like some adam west batman type ish....i dunno maybe that the intention????......

But it is targeted towards you. No self respecting fan of the comic is anticipating this film or expects it to be anything better than average.

When I say read the comic. I don't say that to comic book fans. I say that to fans of great storytelling. It's the kind of book that could be used in a University literature class. The type that takes a few reads to fully understand.
i might peep it, i just dont like superhero shit, dont like scifi, in terms of litterature i only like realistic shit, but ill see

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 03:41:43 PM »

Read the comics. It is far and away the best thing to ever come out of the comic world. So good that it's the only book that ever gets mentioned in best novel lists.

Alan Moore has said it was never meant to be a film and even wrote the story with that mind. Watchmen was written not to show that you can make a great movie or novel, but written to show what you can do with comics that cannot be done in film or literature. It's a fucking masterpiece.

That being said I don't look forward to the film at all. I really believe that the best thing about it will end up being the Smashing Pumpkins song in the trailer.
im not a comics guy at all so its not really targeted towards me so its all good. to me even the costumes just look goofy though,like some adam west batman type ish....i dunno maybe that the intention????......

But it is targeted towards you. No self respecting fan of the comic is anticipating this film or expects it to be anything better than average.

When I say read the comic. I don't say that to comic book fans. I say that to fans of great storytelling. It's the kind of book that could be used in a University literature class. The type that takes a few reads to fully understand.
i might peep it, i just dont like superhero shit, dont like scifi, in terms of litterature i only like realistic shit, but ill see

The only superhero character in the book is Dr. Manhattan. All the other characters are grounded in reality.

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 04:56:05 PM »

The only superhero character in the book is Dr. Manhattan. All the other characters are grounded in reality.
what does that mean?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 06:22:50 PM »

If you don't like anything to do with Sci-Fi at all then you probably won't love Watchmen all that much. It's like The Dark Knight the film, critics could have loved it and said it was amazing but many fans of film just can't grasp the idea because it's about a man dressed as a bat fighting a painted face lunatic.

what does that mean?

It means that none of them are "Super" Heroes. The idea of the book when first conceived was how would the real world react to men dressing up in masks and costumes and fighting crime. It changed from that premise a bit.

Either way, if you thought Dark Knight wasn't all that great then it doesn't matter because Dark Night is set in complete reality. Watchmen isn't.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:35:21 PM by Shallow »

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 07:20:37 PM »
i loved dark knight, i thought it was awesome, but to be frank, the batman part was my least favorite, i loved bale as Bruce wayne, obviously looooved ledger, loved the fact that it had action and wasnt over the top special effects (im not that big on action movies either), but it all seemed to work together, i loved batman begins cause i loved seeing the road to him becoming batman

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 07:25:56 PM »
i loved dark knight, i thought it was awesome, but to be frank, the batman part was my least favorite, i loved bale as Bruce wayne, obviously looooved ledger, loved the fact that it had action and wasnt over the top special effects (im not that big on action movies either), but it all seemed to work together, i loved batman begins cause i loved seeing the road to him becoming batman

Then you shouldn't have a problem loving The Watchmen. (the book, not the crappy film that I haven't seen yet)

bez

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 12:45:09 PM »

If you don't like anything to do with Sci-Fi at all then you probably won't love Watchmen all that much. It's like The Dark Knight the film, critics could have loved it and said it was amazing but many fans of film just can't grasp the idea because it's about a man dressed as a bat fighting a painted face lunatic.

what does that mean?

It means that none of them are "Super" Heroes. The idea of the book when first conceived was how would the real world react to men dressing up in masks and costumes and fighting crime. It changed from that premise a bit.

Either way, if you thought Dark Knight wasn't all that great then it doesn't matter because Dark Night is set in complete reality. Watchmen isn't.

Gotham City is a fictional city...

Westcoastin'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Revenge is the sweetest joy next to gettin pussy
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 06:20:55 PM »
the name of the city is irrelevant..  he means that Batman is just a guy in a costume, he cant fly or shoot lazers from his eyes.  The Watchmen is almost as realistic...  except for Dr. Manhatten, the heroes dont really have any special abilities
been rockin' longer than niggas twice my age
back in the days before Bob Marley was rockin' a fade
before Honest Abe signed the paper that freed slaves
before Neanderthals was drawing on walls in caves
I existed, in the garden of Eden gettin' lifted
stickin' dick to Eve before she was Adam's mistress
before Christ created Christmas, I been in lyrical fitness
the Canibus is spittin' til' he's spitless - Canibus

trishjames

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 04:30:42 AM »
"Alan Moore discusses Watchmen (from documentary)" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwm4TSlNO3U

EFFeX

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 08:29:42 AM »
Went to the premier last night, the movie was pretty damn intense. I didn't know anything about Watchmen before going, but this ain't no Spider Man I'll tell you that. Movie is hella graphic! The action scenes were crazy too. Only thing was that it was TOO DAMN LONG. Some scenes went on forever...

BTW: You might want to turn your head everytime Dr Manhattan is on screen!

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 09:03:49 AM »
Went to the premier last night, the movie was pretty damn intense. I didn't know anything about Watchmen before going, but this ain't no Spider Man I'll tell you that. Movie is hella graphic! The action scenes were crazy too. Only thing was that it was TOO DAMN LONG. Some scenes went on forever...

BTW: You might want to turn your head everytime Dr Manhattan is on screen!

Glad you liked it. I haven't read it in a long enough time to remember all the details and I plan on not reading it again until after the I see the film because I know I'll be getting angry at every change and everything that was left out.