Author Topic: "The Lakers wanted to trade me Kobe for Dirk straight up and I told them no"  (Read 913 times)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Fuck all that positions shiet - he had a chance to get Kobe! Had the trade gone down the Mavs would've looked somethin like...

Erick Dampier
Brandon Bass
Josh Howard
Kobe Bryant
Devin Harris

^ thats damn sure not a 1st round exit.

Your point? The Mavs' goal has never been to just make it to the 2nd round. Just because they haven't even managed that it doesn't mean that they would've been happy with a non-championship-squad, bitch.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Now_Im_Not_Banned

It's not that simple. Just because Kobe is the better player it doesn't necessarily make the team better. Especially when it's SG for PF, when PFs are more valuable. There would have been a big hole in the frontcourt, with an overloaded backcourt. Also, there was the chance of the Lakers getting really desperate (imagine Bynum flopping and no Gasol trade, hell, even no Ariza trade) ... in that case the Lakers might have agreed to something like Kobe for Howard and Terry... that could have made the Mavs ridiculously good.

You're lying your ass if you say you're not mad.

LMFAO

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Fuck all that positions shiet - he had a chance to get Kobe! Had the trade gone down the Mavs would've looked somethin like...

Erick Dampier
Brandon Bass
Josh Howard
Kobe Bryant
Devin Harris

Your point? The Mavs' goal has never been to just make it to the 2nd round. Just because they haven't even managed that it doesn't mean that they would've been happy with a non-championship-squad, bitch.

You get Kobe on your team, and best believe your city is attracting some major buzz/free agents/etc. Mark Cuban must be the dumbest guy in the world if this holds any truth. Seriously. This is worse than if the Pistons woulda' passed up on a Laimbeer-for-Jordan trade in the 80s...LOL.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
in the end, it comes down to who's still playing.

GangstaBoogy

Erick Dampier
Brandon Bass
Josh Howard
Kobe Bryant
Devin Harris

Nigga ya'll lost in the first round 2 years in a row! Ya'll made history...first #1 seed to lose to a #8 seed in a 7 game series. Then ya'll come back next year as the #7 seed and lose to an inexperienced #2 seed. Ya'll gave away a talented young point guard (who would've been a big help against CP3) for 34 year old Jason Kidd. And now the guy who people were saying is better than Dirk admits to being a weed head and could possible end up traded.

At this point I'd think you'd be thrilled to make it to the 2nd round. Doesn't bother me, I'm glad Cuban said no cuz Kobe probably would've signed off to that deal. Now the Mavs are done and we managed to get Kobe all the help he needs. Let Cuban keep holding on to his players friends.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Thank you mr. Cuban.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Erick Dampier
Brandon Bass
Josh Howard
Kobe Bryant
Devin Harris

Nigga ya'll lost in the first round 2 years in a row! Ya'll made history...first #1 seed to lose to a #8 seed in a 7 game series. Then ya'll come back next year as the #7 seed and lose to an inexperienced #2 seed. Ya'll gave away a talented young point guard (who would've been a big help against CP3) for 34 year old Jason Kidd. And now the guy who people were saying is better than Dirk admits to being a weed head and could possible end up traded.

At this point I'd think you'd be thrilled to make it to the 2nd round. Doesn't bother me, I'm glad Cuban said no cuz Kobe probably would've signed off to that deal. Now the Mavs are done and we managed to get Kobe all the help he needs. Let Cuban keep holding on to his players friends.

You act as if anybody knew what would happen later on in the season. Back then, nobody knew any of this. Still, in the end Cuban is emotionally attached to Dirk and he will keep him in Dallas for as long as possible. In fact he will probably sell the Mavs when Dirk leaves/retires.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

OG Hack Wilson

ted williams and joe dimaggio were almost traded for eachother in 1948 and 1949

never happened, so who gives a sheet
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Erick Dampier
Brandon Bass
Josh Howard
Kobe Bryant
Devin Harris

You act as if anybody knew what would happen later on in the season. Back then, nobody knew any of this. Still, in the end Cuban is emotionally attached to Dirk and he will keep him in Dallas for as long as possible. In fact he will probably sell the Mavs when Dirk leaves/retires.

LOL I dont give a fuck how attached you are to a certain player. When your team is in "win now" mode and you have a chance to get the guy who is widely considered to be the best player in the NBA IN HIS PRIME, you blow Dirk a kiss and tell him not to let the door hit him on the ass. LOL what the fuck. There is nothing you can say to rationalize passing on a Kobe for Dirk deal.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Kobe woulda' vetoed the trade, regardless...His heart was in LA all along. The Lakers is the team he wanted to retire with...he said it in the beginning, and he stuck by that all the way through.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
^^^LOL sure it was. He was only kidding about the trade demands that he backed away from once he found out that any trade for him would result in him being traded to a gutted roster.

GangstaBoogy

^ yeah except Dallas. They would've still had Howard, Harris, Terry, Stackhouse, Dampier, Jones, Diop. I like the loyalty that Mark Cuban showed to Dirk. Thats an excellent quality in a friend, but a horrible quality in a gm.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

^^^LOL sure it was. He was only kidding about the trade demands that he backed away from once he found out that any trade for him would result in him being traded to a gutted roster.

Actually, Kobe said he prefered to stay in LA and retire as a Laker even when he asked to be traded. He never backed away from what he said, even as of now...that's because he never truly wanted to be traded in the first place, he thought our FO was a joke and he wanted to play on a contending team...it was all his way of building the Lakers and getting them to that contender mindset. Bynum, Mitch, Buss, everyone. If you're not worthy to put on a Laker jersey, get the fuck out. Kobe loves LA, he loves the Lakers, and this is where he wanted to play his career out...I knew this would be the result, back when everyone was like "fuck Kobe!"...Great players do what Kobe did. It's been like that throughout history...PeACe

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Employers constantly light fires under the asses of their employees..... Kobe just reversed it.
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ