Author Topic: West Coast Rappers going out of their way to let people know they from the west  (Read 481 times)

E-Class

• 'G'
that would be cool, but I really don't see the other angles. Once you've seen a picture of a square from the right, it really doesn't impress you once viewed from the left, top or bottom. West Coast artist, for the most part don't even do stories no more. The love songs have no true artistic sensibilities, to the point that they aren't really love songs. The last real good creative piece that I heard off the west coast was Ghetto Vet. In my opinion, that is probably in the top five of hip hop stories. That song was done within the scope of a west coast perspective without beating you over the head with how west coast the artist was. The backdrop and subject of the story was vintage west coast without having to overtly Westicize it. Sure, stay within that west coast pocket, but it's so many ways to freak it. I got no problem with gangsta rap, or west coast rap, i gotta problem with wackness and reinforcing bullshit stereotypes. Which is what I'm getting right now

Sparegeez

I thought every rapper from every region does this, especially rappers from the south. But yeah, I know what you're talking about. People take a lot of pride of where they're from.

E-Class

• 'G'
i'll give you my whole reason for even thinking up this post. It came from riding through various parts of L.a. one day. And i was thinking that gangbanging is such a small part of what this city is about. it's so rich in diversity and experiences. It's a wealth of shit to talk about from stories, to love songs, to culture, to the scenery, to the different classes that live here. And truthfully, it's way more of a pleasant experience than some would have you think. Shit, I'm from compton and hermosa beach is less than 20 minutes away and it's gorgeous, right on the border of compton is carson, go down central and you can walk on the campus of Dominguez hills which is real nice to look at and walk through. the nightlife on sunset, venice on the weekends, all the nice malls you can go to to get at chicks.....these are damn near walking distance from the hood (or a ten minute bus ride). This is shit everybody got access to for little to no money at all. So that killa cali bravado start to look real suspect to a out of town visitor.Yeah if one were to drive down Fig between Century and adams, life look hella bleak, or if they ride down central through watts, yeah..but that every state. Anyway,thats just my perception of it.

why limit ourselves when we have access to infinite creative resources.

Too Cool

• The Hardest Artist
  • Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
Why is it that a lot of West coast rappers go out of their way to let people know they are from the west coast?
Moreover, why do we get into this thing about how violent our coast is and wear it as a badge of honor. Why are we so quick to say everybody is taking our style trying to be crips and bloods, like it's something to be proud of.
Number One, the west coast really ain't all that bad. Yeah, I guess days do get darker when you walking through an enemy hood with the wrong colors on. These are some of the things that makes west coast rap wack to me. West Coast rap has become a cliche. The music community doesn't really respect us and I don't blame em. Some will tell you that it's the beef between artists, but that's bullshit, we keep putting out the same song. Niggas ain't buying it no more. The gangbanging don't hold no more weight when snoop gotta reality show, spending time with the kids and really coming off like a square dad (and its nothing wrong with that). Ice Cube is doing movies and his whole steez is reflecting something that is a far cry from what one would say is authentically street. These are the legends.
We got talented artists that make themselves wacker by pigeon-holing themselves. Yeah, the south does this to an extent too, but west coast artist, got hand signs, and have to remind the listener every 3 bars what coast they from. West Coast rap is slowly becoming a parody of itself.
I see alot of shit on the forums, & I usually, for most parts, just read the shit. Because in my opinion EVERY fucking thing is out of order. LIFE is out of order, & b4 any idiot goes "Were talking about music!", music is a sub culture of life. Some of yall may know me, some may not, my crew at one time was the most talked about INDEPENDANT label in the game, IV LIFE RECORDS!!, we were on every site, & talked about in damn near every hood. I was a big part behind the music direction, as well as an artist, and my motto whenever asked what type of style we had, I would reply "NO STYLE or VERSATILE STYLE!" Im the type of guy who studies a situation then I make a decision. I always tell people there's no situation that can out think you, because situations have no brains, so most of the things in life that are difficult, we in some shape form or fashion make difficult ourselves. This subject was one I've often pondered many times, in many different ways. First WE as fans, & I say we cuzz I am still a fan of RAP(at least still trying 2 have hope!) we need 2 accept a painting 4 what it is. All paintings R not going 2 be accepted,understood, or enjoyed by Everyone! 4 so many different reasons, So if it has something for U, cop it if not, DONT. Isn't it funny how some one can give U something & at that time U may not have use 4 it, or U just didn't know U did, and then later it can come in handy.(GET MY POINT!)If its GOOD Its GOOD, no matter what style of beat, what coast, if the rapper really has street cred(what the fuck is that about?) ??? And all I would ask these artists' is just 2 make sure what ever U do, Its U. Put your HEART & SOUL into it and dont let the FANS, RECORD LABELS, POLITICS,or COASTAL RESIDENCY, ETC. tell U how 2 be U, becuzz they cant, there is only one person who can do that & that person is U. I remember when quote unqoute GANGSTA RAP! hit big all the labels wanted everybody 2 sound, look, & be GANGSTA! Isn't it funny how we allow THEM to set the tone ,when we're the ones making the FUCKING music.(GET DA FUCK OUTTA HERE!) I spoke on this beacause we had kind of a GANGSTA stigma behind us due to the coast we were on, our style of music, affiliations (Snoop,Tha Eastsidaz,Ice Cube, etc.). And I WAS Hood like a Muhfucka!!, my hood was one of the most known gang sets in L.A., but my mind, my thoughts, my heart, my passion was far beyond The hood, The West Coast, HELL sometimes THE FUCKIN PLANET! If you're reading my post u should be able 2 tell by the convo & SOME of the correct punctuations, Im not one of your TYPICAL HOOD CATS, and that's my point, I never let POLITRICKS control me. So I feel U fabianbonaparte, and off record for a moment lets see if I can get this motion moving, has anyone noticed how much of a THREAT rap was when it was supposedly, 2 violent, degrading, and negative, or maybe BACK THEN it was just 2 DAMN INFORMATIVE!!!!!!! on the things the powers that be didn't want the rest of the world 2 know? HHHMMMMMMMM!!!! Just my thoughts. And I am currently workin on some shit that I hope can throw our culture a life preserver but in the mean time check me out at www.myspace/opnmynded
THE HARDEST ARTIST!! Mr. Muthafuckin 2COOL= SAVIOR 2 THA STREETS Im OUT!
i'll give you my whole reason for even thinking up this post. It came from riding through various parts of L.a. one day. And i was thinking that gangbanging is such a small part of what this city is about. it's so rich in diversity and experiences. It's a wealth of shit to talk about from stories, to love songs, to culture, to the scenery, to the different classes that live here. And truthfully, it's way more of a pleasant experience than some would have you think. Shit, I'm from compton and hermosa beach is less than 20 minutes away and it's gorgeous, right on the border of compton is carson, go down central and you can walk on the campus of Dominguez hills which is real nice to look at and walk through. the nightlife on sunset, venice on the weekends, all the nice malls you can go to to get at chicks.....these are damn near walking distance from the hood (or a ten minute bus ride). This is shit everybody got access to for little to no money at all. So that killa cali bravado start to look real suspect to a out of town visitor.Yeah if one were to drive down Fig between Century and adams, life look hella bleak, or if they ride down central through watts, yeah..but that every state. Anyway,thats just my perception of it.

why limit ourselves when we have access to infinite creative resources.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
^^TooCol, not sure what happened, but you guys had a good thing Good!!
Well not point in sitting down pondering on 'what it's' etc. We have to work on the present to ensure we have a future!

Sometimes if an artist wants to expand and try new horizon, he/she will lose some fans as a result of that sudden need for growth!
That is what is the biggest problem facing artist these days. As The Homie Fabian pointed out in his post just above yours, there's alot more to rhyme about outside of the 'Gangsta Image' that can still be fresh and head-bobbing to listen to..
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

biggeazy-e

• 'G'
its kinda lame

the east coast is the better coast afterall
incorrect
chevy fuck rice

OG Hack Wilson

Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

EFFeX

The south does this too with Miami, Houston, Atlanta...

New York was guilty of it in the 90s.