Author Topic: THE DEFINITIVE Death Row Records/Tha Row Thread  (Read 25050 times)

Ruge662

• Lil Geezy
Re: THE DEFINITIVE Death Row Records/Tha Row Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2008, 02:22:10 AM »
On a slightly similar note, is it possible for anyone to start posting the Death Row leftovers and whatnot from back in the day? I remember them circulating the net from like 2003-2006, but hard to find the links these days...

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2008, 04:45:52 PM »
can someone hook up that documentary from 99 that mtv did on death row ?
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2008, 12:25:12 PM »
Mac Shawn had made some what of a rapping career prior to Death Row with his group Funk Mobb which released their debut album in 1995. Not much is known about his time with this group, but it was short lived to say the least. Within less than three years after the release, Mac Shawn touched down on DPG Recordz which was a sub-label of Death Row Records.

Mac Shawn was fuckin with Sick Wid It records, i wanna say, since 1993. off my head hes on these Sick Wid It releases:

D-Shot- The Shot Calla- 1994
Celly Cel- Heat 4 Yo Azz- 1994
E-40- In A Major Way- 1995
Suga T- Paper Chasin- 1996
B-Legit- The Hemp Museum- 1996
Funk Mobb- It Aint 4 Play- 1996

Chad Vader

« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2008, 05:37:37 PM »

Death Row Family Jewels in Rap Pages 1997

NewYork Pope

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2008, 06:52:16 PM »
Where can that MC Hammer album be heard? Will like to hear the production on there.

GottiValentino

« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2008, 06:40:55 AM »
Where can that MC Hammer album be heard? Will like to hear the production on there.

I had a few songs before my computer crashed and they were pretty dope

would like to hear the whole album myself

Chad Vader

« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2009, 06:21:05 PM »
UPDATED;

Nice job with the info,but the info about The Convicts needs to be updated though

what i need to add?

-Convicts was signed to and released a album on Rap-A-Lot before they got with Death Row.
The reason they went back to Rap-A-Lot is because J.Prince needed to replace Willie D in Geto Boys (for a minute),so he asked Big Mike.
Big Mike had originally written the Crooked Officer track for The Chronic (called Mr.Officer).

Dre talks about the Mr.Officer track in The Source Magazine

for rest of the Dr.Dre interview;
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=150824.msg1565474#msg1565474

Snoop Dogg & Dubcnn - The Interview: Part 4 (Jan. '07)
http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/snoopdogg07/part4/
Dubcnn: *laughs* Alright! Now we got another throwback question! Many people know that the song "Mr. Officer (Crooked Officer)", which appeared on the Geto Boys album, was going to be a song from the Chronic. How did it end up on the Geto Boys album?
Basically, that song... Big Mike had created that song! It was a Convict song, the group was called the Convicts! Big Mike and Lord 3-2, that was the act from Houston that Suge was gonna sign. Actually, Big Mike had created that song "Mr. Officer", we did that song late night one night, me, Lord 3-2, Big Mike and Warren G had produced it. So Dr. Dre heard it, flipped it, took it, made it his shit, but then he didn't really like it like that. Big Mike took it back to Rap-A-Lot, and the Geto Boys did it, cause he was the new Geto Boy. Does it make sense now?

Dubcnn: Yeah, I guess. Shit, I still would like to hear that version though, it probably don't even exist anymore, huh.
Shit, it probably exists! But who owns the masters to all that Death Row shit? It's a bunch of songs that we did that was dope as fuck that never came out that nobody never heard, that used to just be party classics! And I say that because Dre used to have parties every Friday at his house, and we had certain records that we would just play strictly at these parties! And they never made them real records, we just did the songs in the back, and whenever the party got cracking we popped this record on, and muthafuckas would get to grooving! Bam, boom, that just was a party classic!

Crooked Officer Geto Boys NOT produced by Dr.Dre
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vNEyiuUsgjk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vNEyiuUsgjk</a>

More about Dr.Dre's "Mr.Officer" track in this thread;
www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=130687.msg1358754#msg1358754#msg135874#msg1358754#msg1358754

-3-2 formed Blacī Monks with A.W.O.L,D.A and John Bido (the producer),on Rap-A-Lot.
More info about 3-2

-Big Mike is also know as the Peter Man.
Snoop shouted him out on Stranded on Death Row,
Big Mike sampled that line on his Peter Man track from his solo album Something Serious.

Stranded on Death Row
http://www.dr-dre.com/lyrics/chronic_14.php
[Verse Four: Snoop Doggy Dogg]
We gotta smoke 'em, then choke 'em like the motherfuckin peter man

Big Mike interview in The Source September 1994, NO.60

Big Mike interview November 2008;
DX: I know you guys were either going to sign with Death Row or you did. Can you talk a little about that?
Big Mike: At the time they was putting Death Row together and they was choosing artists to bring up. I guess they liked the whole idea of The Convicts, Convicts being on Death Row, you know what I mean? So that's how that happened. We get a call and they tell us we going to Los Angeles. It just happened like that. That situation came about pretty quick. It was unexpected. We were down there working on a project being produced by Dr. Dre and the production team that was producing at the time for Compton's Most Wanted - DJ Slip and DJ Unknown. We was probably halfway into it and things kinda slowed down at Death Row. They started getting real heavy into The Chronic project, so everything [else] got pushed back to get The Chronic out - which is understandable. I had got the call around that time that Willie D had made an exit from [The Geto Boys] and they wanted to have somebody come in and fill that void. I thought about it, things wasn't really moving at [Death Row] and I thought it'd be a good idea for me to go and do the Geto Boys album and get my name out there further, to be all good for when I dropped my solo project.

DX: I heard that "Crooked Officer" was supposed to be a Dre record originally.
Big Mike: Well what happened was, when we was down there recording, I had some songs that I was working on. I was writing for my solo project and I let Dre hear the song. This was the time they was putting together tracks for The Chronic album. He heard it, he liked the song, he wanted to use the song. But I didn't know that he wanted to use the song on The Chronic, because after that I had headed back to Houston and I used the idea on the Geto Boys album.

For rest of the interview;
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=201723.msg2040486#msg2040486

^^^^dope info ^^^

http://www.dubcnn.com
http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/bigmike
DUBCNN: Exclusive Interview With Big Mike! (Geto Boys/Dr. Dre/Death Row/Six2) (The thread) link

Dubcnn: You talked a little bit earlier about being out in L.A. with Dr. Dre and Death Row.
Were you actually signed to Death Row?

Yeah, they had got at us; they liked us. I don’t know the details they had worked out with the owner of Rap-A-Lot to make it happen, but we ended up down there actually recording the album that was going to be released on Death Row. But with things the way they were there, even before the whole falling out with Dre leaving and what not, I just didn’t see my music coming out any time soon. So, when the Geto Boys’ offer came about I thought about it for awhile and I compared it like, ‘I’m out there with Dre; I’m out in L.A. with Death Row and some sh-t’s about to be popping off, but I wasn’t getting the attention’. I’m not talking about the fans ‘oohing’ and ‘ahhing’, I’m talking about the business attention, getting in the studio and them letting me know when I’m coming out. That wasn’t being provided to me and at the time I was hungry; I was ready to get it! But it was all love though; even after the Geto Boys album we still f-cked with each other, but it was after the big falling out that we all lost touch with each other.

Dubcnn: The Convicts project that was on Death Row, did that have Dre production on there, or what was that project going to sound like?

We were working with guys like DJ Unknown, who was known for doing a lot of 2Pac’s work, and Big Slip; both of them produced 2Pac. Dre he was doing some production; we had gotten probably 6 tracks into the project and I used some of those ideas for the Geto Boys album, like “Mr. Officer”, “Gangster Original”, “No Nuts, No Glory”. I took sh-t like that and used it on the Geto Boys album.

Dubcnn: I was going to ask you about that track “Mr. Officer”. Can you tell us the history on that track because there’s been a lot of talk about how it was meant for The Chronic and whatnot.

At the time we were there, Dr. Dre was putting together The Chronic and people were contributing to the album because everybody knew that their success rode on the success of that record. We all did it because we wanted to, not because we were forced to. We all took the attitude that we wanted to be a part of something big. We all knew something big was happening, so I had done the song, he heard it and he wanted to use it on The Chronic. So, when I came to the Geto Boys, while there was still some uncertainty with Death Row, I used that song on the Geto Boys’ album. It didn’t hurt anyone’s pocket but mine, you know? I did alright with the Geto Boys, but The Chronic sold I don’t know how many millions of records! But, man, you can’t live with regrets so it’s all love. That was me taking my shot on myself and, I mean, it worked out for me.

Dubcnn: So, did “Mr. Officer” sound the same on ‘Til Death Do Us Part as it did when you were doing it with Death Row?

Nah, man, the music was on a totally different vibe.

Dubcnn: Did Dre produce the original?

Yeah.

Dubcnn: What other tracks or projects were you involved in during your time on Death Row?

Well, it was right around the time they did the Deep Cover soundtrack and they were working on that and I left while they were in the process of working on it. That’s the only thing I had the opportunity to work on. I mean they wanted the songs, but Rap-A-Lot decided that they were going to keep that work. I would have worked out something with them, but when other people have their money up you just have to do what you have to do sometimes.

updated  ;)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 06:25:22 PM by Chad Vader »

Al Bundy

« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2009, 06:42:47 PM »
Geto Boys - Crooked Officer is classic.

2euce 7even

« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2009, 10:28:02 AM »
Unreleased:

OFTB-Gun A Ni**a Down
Nash-Kill Sumpin
OFTB-Think About Murder
Outlaw Immortalz-Hard Dayz & Hard Niggaz
Paradise-Another Woman
Lady Of Rage-No Shorts
Tha Realest-In Ainīt Workin With Feelings
Redrum-Hard Times
Redrum-Keepin My Guard Up
Redrum-All Doggs Go To Heaven
Redrum-Letter To Bro
Redrum-County Jail
Redrum-Funeral Song
Redrum-Rags To Riches (Prod. By: Darryl Big D Harper)
Redrum-Good In Da Game
Redrum-I Canīt Pray No More
Redrum-Streets Is Where You Will Find
Rhythm & Knowledge-Ask Somebody
Rhythm & Knowledge-Black Queen
Rhythm & Knowledge-Love My People
Rhythm & Knowledge-Ginnin It Back
Rhythm & Knowledge-Tragedy
Rhythm & Knowledge-Summer Madness
Rhythm & Knowledge-Donīt Worry
Rona-Hold Me
Rona-Iīll Be There For You
Rona-Stop, Look & Listen
Sally B-Push Me Violent
Show N Tell-Can I Go Deeper
Show N Tell-Will You Still Love Me?
Show N Tell-May I Testify
Show N Tell-I Destroyed Your Love
Show N Tell-Crazy Lately
6 Feet Deep-Pain
6 Feet Deep-Crazy, Lately (So Are Show N Tell And Six Feet Deep Same Group?)
6 Feet Deep-Give Me Love
6 Feet Deep-Willing To Wait
6 Feet Deep-Whatever
6 Feet Deep-Neighborhood
6 Feet Deep-These 4 Walls
6 Feet Deep-Thereīll Never Be
6 Feet Deep-Too Many Things
6 Feet Deep-If I Loose Heaven
6 Feet Deep-Nite
Outlaw Immortalz-Smile 4 Me
Tha Realest-My Bad Habit
Murder IV Hire-Lyke A Gee
Tha Realest-Rules Of The Game
Paradise-Mama Told Me
Outlaw Immortalz-Angel (Prod.By: Johnny J)
Nash-Cali Life
Paradise-Backyard Party
Tha Realest-My Lost Luv
Outlaw Immortalz-In Godīs Eyes
Lady Of Rage-Get Stupid
816-Give Love
Paradise-Trouble In Paradise
Lady Of Rage-Goes Like That
976-Mr.DJ
976-Something Deep
976-Tell Me
976-What You Hide From
Tha Dogg Pound-Addicted
Tha Dogg Pound-Mass Appeal
Tha Dogg Pound-Feel What I Feel
Tha Dogg Pound-Champagne Wishs
Tha Dogg Pound-My Mic Sounds Nice
Tha Dogg Pound-Whatchu About?
Tha Dogg Pound-Nobody Else (Remix)
BGOTI-Belong To U
BGOTI-Do Right
BGOTI-Woman/Man
Bad Habitz-What It Comes To The Love
Bad Habitz-Baller Life
Bad Habitz-Bull Game
Big Foot-I Can Still Feel It
Bloody Mary-When Ninas Gone
Bloody Mary-Show Me Love
B-Rezell-Let Me Kiss You
B-Rezell-Gettin Harder
B-Rezell-Ooh Wee
B-Rezell-F*** The S*** Out Of You
B-Rezell-Peaceful Summer
B-Rezell-Does My Music Make You
B-Rezell-Have Some Fun
B-Rezell-I Wanna F*** You
Outlaw Immortalz-Soulz Driftin
Paradise-Good OlīDays
2 Much-I Need No Ni**a
2 Much-We Like It
Outlaw Immortalz-Smile 4 Me
Lady Of Rage-I Like It Like That
Outlaw Immortalz-Stay Awake
Storm-Would U Die 4 Me?
Storm-Wild Child
Storm-Livin Ainīt Easy
Storm-Godīz Child
Storm-Broken Family Ties
Tha Dogg Pound-Way I Feel
Tha Dogg Pound-Ainīt No Sunshine
Tha Dogg Pound-Conversation
Tha Dogg Pound-Enter My World
Tha Dogg Pound-Gangsta Groove
Tha Dogg Pound-Hard On A Ni**a
Tha Dogg Pound-Farewell 2 My Enemies
Doobie-Professional Crack Slanga
Doobie-Keep It Hot
Evil Sydaz-21 Over
Freddy Ranks-Untitled
Fuskee-I Want Your Baby
Fuskee-She Can Never Love You
Fuskee-Personal Freak
Fuskee-Want Your Body
Fuskee-Pleasure Palace
Fuskee-Stone Cold
Fuskee-Center Of My Love
Fuskee-Bye Bye
Fuskee-Kickin It With The DJ
Geemann-Just What You Want
Geemann-If You Swing
Geemann-Sexy Body
Gina (Longo?)-Caught Up
Gina (Longo?)-Finish What You Started
Gina (Longo?)-Ready
Gina (Longo?)-Love Comes Back
Danny Boy/The Girls-Do U Wanna Ride
Danny Boy/The Girls-If It Takes All Night
Danny Boy/The Girls-Love Of Your Own
Graveyard Crew-Livin Between The Sky
Guess-Nothin But Nothin
Guess-Love You Down
Guess-I Wanna Give My All To You
Guess-Dreamin Of Black X-Mas
Guess-Baby You Are
Heiroshema-Unspoken Love
Hour Of Chaos-Cam Roll
Hour Of Chaos-Sweetening
Hugg-Reasons
Hugg-Tell Me aka Pure Pleasure
Hugg-The Days Go By
Hugg-Get Up
Hugg-I Want To Get Next To You
Hugg-If I Could Love You
Hugg-Sticky
Hugg-Tired Of Bein Alone

2euce 7even

« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2009, 05:24:25 AM »

jacked from caughtup

Chad Vader

« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2009, 04:00:13 AM »
Geto Boys - Crooked Officer is classic.

For real,I remember they even played this joint in clubs  :o back in 93.  :P

Wonder if Big Mike got the sketch he did for Dre.
Since it was Dre's favorite off all the tracks Dre planned to put on The Chronic at the time,that shit must be dope as fuck.  :P

MediumL

« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2009, 12:24:39 PM »
I wish death row had started the east coast branch it had planned. I remember that Big Daddy Kane was scheduled to be on there but who else was?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

2euce 7even

« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2009, 01:53:59 PM »
^^ Bobby Brown
Eric B (Was Supposed To Be The President Of DR East)
Method Man
Da Bastardz (?) I Still Donīt Know If Da Bastardz Had Somethin To Do With DR Or Not, If That EP Was DR Related Or Not, The Beats Didnīt Sound They Was Dreīs.

AnnonymousOne

« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2009, 09:21:37 PM »
If anyone wants to put up the money you can get a good portion of Dre's Mr. Officer from the Birth Of A Nation documentary. It features a good clip.

It'll cost you $225 though. Good luck finding it.

I got mine already.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:25:15 PM by AnnonymousOne »

Al Bundy

« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
If anyone wants to put up the money you can get a good portion of Dre's Mr. Officer from the Birth Of A Nation documentary. It features a good clip.

It'll cost you $225 though. Good luck finding it.

I got mine already.

http://www.twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=930&card=price