4 (13.3%)
1993-1996
22 (73.3%)
other
2 (6.7%)
The early 80's... it was pure and for fun then
2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: What was rap musics golden era  (Read 324 times)

herpes

What was rap musics golden era
« on: October 25, 2008, 12:25:25 AM »
Some cat posted the a thread about danger by blahzay blahzay so I decided to make this thread.  I noticed a lot of older cats will go with 88.  While the younger cats go with 93-96.  And the new jacks dont know jack shit.  So which era was the golden age.  In 88 you had albums that dropped that paved the way for the rappers of the 90's.  You had Slick Rick that took story telling to another level.  You had Big Daddy Kane that took bragadocious rap to another level.  NWA put the west on the map.  Rakim was a lyrical god no one had ever seen before.  Kool G Rap started the NY mafioso rap and his multi-syllable rhyme scheme was woah.  I know I am leaving rappers out but you get the point.  The other golden era most consider was 93-96.  Now it may be unfair this era consist of 4 years compared to one year.  But this era you had the west rise to prominence.  You had the east coast revival.  And you had the South finally starting to get props.  Even thought this era consisted of 4 years if you went back to album release dates a near classic or classic album was being released at least once a month.  And if you choose any era after 96 you are probably a child molesting faggot.

herpes

Re: What was rap musics golden era
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 12:32:45 AM »
Too answer my own question though, I gotta go with 93-96.  But I am bias b/c that is what I grew up on.

RingMan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BWS Czech Capo
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 03:19:33 AM »
I'm new cat, but I'll go with 88 for the same reasons you mentioned. Many dope albums came out, labels were more free-minded, people were actually buying albums.

Rap is not real, I don't care what they told you,
Fake people say fake things in their vocalbooth
- Soul Position - Mic Control

I make it hard to read me, graffiti flow - Rakim - Word On The Streets

'EclipZe

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 07:47:39 AM »
im goin with the 93-96 era, so many great albums where made in that time.... but also the millenium hiphop/rap albums where dope as fuck! dr.dre, snoop dogg, xzibit, eminem doin their thang and they had a lot of bandwagon white boys who loved their shit, and it was dope music 2

hellrazor86

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • There Can Only Be One Don
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 08:54:41 AM »
im goin with the 93-96 era, so many great albums where made in that time.... but also the millenium hiphop/rap albums where dope as fuck! dr.dre, snoop dogg, xzibit, eminem doin their thang and they had a lot of bandwagon white boys who loved their shit, and it was dope music 2

co-sign

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 09:28:32 AM »

co-sign

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 10:13:56 AM »
Yeah probably 93-96 on a personal level but

The golden era was more like 98-2001 with uys like Dmx, Jigga, Method man, redman, cash money, Master p.

I would say thats the golden era because thats hwen hip hop was coming out with almost 2 good records a week.

**edit... Eminem came out in 98, dr dre was about to drop 2001, snoop was there, xzibit, cube, kurupt the west was way hot at that time too.

I swear there was a good record coming out every week. And the internet had not taken over yet so yuo actualy anticipated the cd and that cd sold.

Def Jam, No limit were coming out with so many cds ( ok no limit wasent teh greatest but still)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 10:15:48 AM by Mtl 's M-0-s-T »

Birdie

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
It's funky enough!

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 10:54:46 AM »
**edit... Eminem came out in 99, dr dre was about to drop 2001, snoop was there, xzibit, cube, kurupt the west was way hot at that time too.

FYP

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 11:29:49 AM »
93'-96' if you think about it. when it comes to the so called golden era of hip hop. the westcoast has contributed close to nothing in comparison to the east coast. matter of fact how much has the westcoast contributed to hiphop in general, at least something positivity, maybe 10%?

Blood$

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 11:33:50 AM »
Yeah probably 93-96 on a personal level but

The golden era was more like 98-2001 with uys like Dmx, Jigga, Method man, redman, cash money, Master p.

I would say thats the golden era because thats hwen hip hop was coming out with almost 2 good records a week.

**edit... Eminem came out in 98, dr dre was about to drop 2001, snoop was there, xzibit, cube, kurupt the west was way hot at that time too.

I swear there was a good record coming out every week. And the internet had not taken over yet so yuo actualy anticipated the cd and that cd sold.

Def Jam, No limit were coming out with so many cds ( ok no limit wasent teh greatest but still)

that sounds about right to me

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »
'88-'96 was the golden era.

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 12:33:58 PM »
Golden Era was between 88 to 97, now we are in the trashest era

herpes

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 02:15:17 PM »
'88-'96 was the golden era.

thats cheating lol

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 03:27:20 PM »
Ya'll don't know real hip-hop the golden age was in the 1960's, we were puttin it down, taggin the subways, spinnin on our backs on cardboard, and rockin the crowd at disco clubs... Ya'll don't know nothin!  Those were the days...
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)