Author Topic: Your top 5 movies  (Read 1166 times)

Chad Vader

Re: Your top 5 movies
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2009, 01:42:41 PM »
anybody here love the OG Star Wars trilogy? I thought it was dope. 8)

:P :laugh:
-Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3/5
-Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones 3.5/5
-Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith 4/5
-Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope 5/5
-Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 5/5
-Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi  4/5

Related thread;
The DubCC Star Wars/Clone Wars thread

How do you put Sith on par with Jedi? The three new films combined add up to about half of one of the old ones. So here it is

Menace - 0.5
Clone Wars - 1.0
Sith - 1.0
Hope - 5
Empire - 5
Jedi - 5

I like Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith,actually more than Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.
So a exact rating would be Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith 3.9 and Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi 3.7  ;) Fuck those fuckings Ewoks  >:(

Sith single handedly ruined the greatest cosmic villain of all time.
All those years in between the originals and the prequels we waited to see who Darth Vader was.
What made Anakin Skywalker go from great Jedi to evil Sith.
The first film showed him as a stupid little boy.
The second as a pouting bitch.
And the third revealed that he only turned evil because he was jealous and thought his girl was fucking Obi Wan behind his back.
So in one film we realized that Darth Vader was just a fag scared of losing his girl.
I really wouldn't mind if in ten years they forget the last three films never happened and start from scratch.

Not to mention that upon watching the original three you realize very early that Lucas
did not pre-plan the story or probably even watch the old ones much before writing the new ones.

I see what you're saying....  ;)
I sorta wish Lucas never made them as well,it is what is.... just movies  ;). But yes it fucked up the Star wars legacy.  :-[ :-\

But you're wrong about one thing though,Lucas had a outline for them.
If you have read the prologue in the "A New Hope" book,you would have known this.  ;)
It don't go into details,and it don't touch on Anakins story. But tells Palpatines story and all that political shit.

Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker Publisher: Del Rey (December 12, 1977)

Here´s the prologue I talked about above;

Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_New_Hope_(novel)

Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker is the title of a science fiction novel credited to George Lucas but actually ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster[1] and first published on November 12, 1976 by Del Rey.

The book, which was based upon Lucas' original screenplay for the first Star Wars film, has been published under several titles, first as Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, later as simply Star Wars, and most recently as Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, reflecting the retitling of the film that occurred following the announcement that Lucas would film the first three episodes of the Star Wars Saga.

This book was published about six months before the original Star Wars movie was released, which means it was probably written some months prior. At that point, the source material for this story in particular, and the whole Star Wars universe in general, was still somewhat fluid. As a result, it is interesting to note a few points where the story in the book differs from the story that ended up in the movie.

A few scenes are included that were filmed but not included in the final cut of the movie, most notably Luke's scenes with his friends at Tosche Station.
Various small details, such as the callsigns used by the Rebels in the Death Star assault, are different (e.g. Luke is "Blue Five" instead of "Red Five").
Han at one point mentions a Corellian friend named Toccnepil; this is a backward-masking reference to Charles Lippincot, the mastermind of the Star Wars marketing campaign.
"Droids" is spelled with an apostrophe in the front, as if the term is a contraction.
The references to Rebels are listed as rebels.
The stormtroopers board the Tantive IV through the ceiling rather than blasting apart a door.
The prologue says that after Emperor Palpatine rose to power, he was "controlled" by the "boot-lickers he had appointed to high office," implying that he is not evil. However, all other media sources prove he is.
Obi-Wan's death is different in the book in that Vader succeeds in defeating him during their lightsaber duel, while in the film Obi-Wan allows Vader to strike him down, in order to provide Luke and the others a diversion to escape the Death Star.
This is the first time Darth Vader is referenced as a Sith Lord. He is not referenced as such in the movie (in fact the term Sith Lord isn't even mentioned until the first prequel film, The Phantom Menace); although Revenge of the Sith establishes it.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2009, 05:05:37 PM »
Nice to see pics of the old book.

Also, I too would have been a big fan of a really bad 70s Phantom Menace.

Chad Vader

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2009, 05:23:44 PM »
Nice to see pics of the old book.

see he had a "outline" for the backstory  ;)
sure it wasn't detailed but......  ;) you know  ;)

Also, I too would have been a big fan of a really bad 70s Phantom Menace.

:laugh: :laugh:

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2009, 06:26:42 PM »
^either of you guys know why they filmed them 4-6 & then 1-3? ???

were they ever planning on making the new three? ???

im curious, i never really knew the whole story behind it...

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2009, 06:31:27 PM »
showdown in little toyko
tha last dragon
nowhere to run
rapid fire
damn weekened at bernies

bonus:
any bruce lee movies
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Chad Vader

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2009, 06:52:54 PM »
^either of you guys know why they filmed them 4-6 & then 1-3? ???

were they ever planning on making the new three? ???

im curious, i never really knew the whole story behind it...

;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_wars
Original trilogy

In 1971, Universal Studios agreed to make American Graffiti and Star Wars in a two-picture contract, although Star Wars was later rejected in its early concept stages. American Graffiti was completed in 1973 and, a few months later, Lucas wrote a short summary called "The Journal of the Whills", which told the tale of the training of apprentice C.J. Thorpe as a "Jedi-Bendu" space commando by the legendary Mace Windy.[19] Frustrated that his story was too difficult to understand, Lucas then wrote a 13-page treatment called The Star Wars, which was a loose remake of Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress.[20] By 1974, he had expanded the treatment into a rough draft screenplay, adding elements such as the Sith, the Death Star, and a young boy as the protagonist named Annikin Starkiller. For the second draft, Lucas made heavy simplifications, and also introduced the young hero on a farm as Luke. Annikin became Luke's father, a wise Jedi knight. The "Force" was also introduced as a supernatural power. The next draft removed the father character and replaced him with a substitute named Ben Kenobi, and in 1976 a fourth draft had been prepared for principal photography. The film was titled Adventures of Luke Starkiller, as taken from the Journal of the Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars. During production, Lucas changed Luke's name to Skywalker and altered the title to simply The Star Wars and finally Star Wars.[21]

At that point, Lucas was not expecting the film to become part of a series. The fourth draft of the script underwent subtle changes that made it more satisfying as a self-contained film, ending with the destruction of the Empire itself by way of destroying the Death Star. However, Lucas had previously conceived of the film as the first in a series of adventures. Later, he realised the film would not in fact be the first in the sequence, but a film in the second trilogy in the saga. This is stated explicitly in George Lucas' preface to the 1994 reissue of Splinter of the Mind's Eye:

It wasn't long after I began writing Star Wars that I realized the story was more than a single film could hold. As the saga of the Skywalkers and Jedi Knights unfolded, I began to see it as a tale that could take at last nine films to tell—three trilogies—and I realized, in making my way through the back story and after story, that I was really setting out to write the middle story.

The second draft contained a teaser for a never-made sequel about "The Princess of Ondos," and by the time of the third draft some months later Lucas had negotiated a contract that gave him rights to make two sequels. Not long after, Lucas met with author Alan Dean Foster, and hired him to write these two sequels as novels.[22] The intention was that if Star Wars were successful, Lucas could adapt the novels into screenplays.[23] He had also by that point developed a fairly elaborate backstory to aid his writing process.[24]

When Star Wars proved successful, Lucas decided to use the film as the basis for an elaborate serial, although at one point he considered walking away from the series altogether.[25] However, Lucas wanted to create an independent filmmaking center—what would become Skywalker Ranch—and saw an opportunity to use the series as a financing agent.[26] Alan Dean Foster had already begun writing the first sequel novel, but Lucas decided to abandon his plan to adapt Foster's work; the book was released as Splinter of the Mind's Eye the next year. At first Lucas envisioned a series of films with no set number of entries, like the James Bond series. In an interview with Rolling Stone in August 1977, he said that he wanted his friends to each take a turn at directing the films and giving unique interpretations on the series. He also said that the backstory where Darth Vader turns to the dark side, kills Luke's father and fights Ben Kenobi on a volcano as the Galactic Republic falls would make an excellent sequel.

Later that year, Lucas hired science fiction author Leigh Brackett to write Star Wars II with him. They held story conferences and by late November 1977, Lucas had produced a handwritten treatment called The Empire Strikes Back. The treatment is very similar to the final film except that Darth Vader does not reveal he is Luke's father. In the first draft that Brackett would write from this, Luke's father appears as a ghost to instruct Luke.[27]

Brackett finished her first draft in early 1978; Lucas has said he was disappointed with it, but before he could discuss it with her, she died from cancer.[28] With no writer available, Lucas had to write his next draft himself. It was this draft in which Lucas first made use of the "Episode" numbering for the films; Empire Strikes Back was listed as Episode II.[29] As Michael Kaminski argues in The Secret History of Star Wars, the disappointment with the first draft probably made Lucas consider different directions in which to take the story.[30] He made use of a new plot twist: Darth Vader claims to be Luke's father. According to Lucas, he found this draft enjoyable to write, as opposed to the year-long struggles writing the first film, and quickly wrote two more drafts,[31] both in April 1978. He also took the script to a darker extreme by having Han Solo become imprisoned in carbonite and left in limbo.[7]

This new story point of Darth Vader being Luke's father had drastic effects on the series. Michael Kaminski argues in his book that it is unlikely that the plot point had ever seriously been considered or even conceived of before 1978, and that the first film was clearly operating under an alternate storyline where Vader was separate from Luke's father;[32] there is not a single reference to this plot point before 1978. After writing the second and third drafts of Empire Strikes Back in which the point was introduced, Lucas reviewed the new backstory he had created: Anakin Skywalker was Ben Kenobi's brilliant student; he had a child called Luke but was swayed to the dark side by Emperor Palpatine (who became a Sith and not simply a politician). Anakin battled Ben Kenobi on the site of a volcano and was wounded, but then resurrected as Darth Vader. Meanwhile Kenobi hid Luke on Tatooine while the Republic became the Empire and Vader hunted down the Jedi knights.[33]

With this new backstory in place, Lucas decided that the series would be a trilogy, changing Empire Strikes Back from Episode II to Episode V in the next draft.[34] Lawrence Kasdan, who had just completed writing Raiders of the Lost Ark, was then hired to write the next drafts, and was given additional input from director Irvin Kershner. Kasdan, Kershner, and producer Gary Kurtz saw the film as a more serious and adult film, which was helped by the new, darker storyline, and developed the series from the light adventure roots of the first film.[35]

By the time he began writing Episode VI in 1981 (then titled Revenge of the Jedi), much had changed. Making Empire Strikes Back was stressful and costly, and Lucas' personal life was disintegrating. Burnt out, and not wanting to make any more Star Wars films, he vowed that he was done with the series in a May 1983 interview with Time magazine. Lucas' 1981 rough drafts had Darth Vader competing with the Emperor for possession of Luke—and in the second script, the "revised rough draft," Vader became a sympathetic character. Lawrence Kasdan was hired to take over once again and, in these final drafts, Vader was explicitly redeemed and finally unmasked. This change in character would provide a springboard to the "Tragedy of Darth Vader" storyline that underlies the prequels.[36]

Prequel trilogy

After losing much of his fortune in a divorce settlement in 1987, Lucas had no desire to return to Star Wars, and had unofficially canceled his Sequel Trilogy by the time of Return of the Jedi.[37] However the prequels, which were quite developed, continued to fascinate him. After Star Wars became popular once again, in the wake of Dark Horse's comic line and Timothy Zahn's trilogy of novels, Lucas saw that there was still a large audience. His children had begun to grow older, and with the explosion of CGI technology he was now considering returning to directing.[38] By 1993 it was announced, in Variety among other sources, that he would be making the prequels. He began outlining the story, now indicating that Anakin Skywalker would be the protagonist rather than Ben Kenobi, and that the series would be a tragic one examining Anakin's transformation to evil. Lucas also began to change how the prequels would exist relative to the originals — at first they were supposed to be a "filling-in" of history, backstory, existing parallel or tangential to the originals, but now he saw that they could form the beginning of one long story that started with Anakin's childhood and ended with his death. This was the final step towards turning the franchise into a "Saga".[39]

In 1994, Lucas began writing the first screenplay titled Episode I: The Beginning. Following the release of that film, Lucas announced that he would also be directing the next two, and began working on Episode II at that time.[40] The first draft of Episode II was completed just weeks before principal photography, and Lucas hired Jonathan Hales, a writer from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, to polish it up.[41] Unsure of a title, Lucas had jokingly called the film "Jar Jar's Great Adventure."[42] In writing The Empire Strikes Back, Lucas initially decided that Lando Calrissian was a clone and came from a planet of clones which caused the "Clone Wars" mentioned by Kenobi in A New Hope;[43][44] he later came up with an alternate concept of an army of clone shocktroopers from a remote planet which attacked the Republic and were repelled by the Jedi knights.[45] The basic elements of that backstory became the plot basis for Episode II, with the new wrinkle added that the entire event was personal manipulation of Palpatine's.[5]

Lucas began working on Episode III even before Attack of the Clones was released, offering concept artists that the film would open with a montage of seven Clone War battles.[46] As he reviewed the storyline that summer, however, he says he radically re-organized the plot.[47] Michael Kaminski, in The Secret History of Star Wars, offers evidence that issues in Anakin's fall to the dark side prompted Lucas to make massive story changes, first revising the opening sequence to have Palpatine kidnapped and Dooku killed by Anakin as the first act in the latter's turn towards the dark side.[48] After principal photography was complete in 2003, Lucas made even more massive changes in Anakin's character, re-writing his entire turn to the dark side — he would now turn primarily in a quest to save Padme from death, rather than the previous version in which that reason was one of several, including that he genuinely believed that the Jedi were evil and plotting to take over the Republic. This fundamental re-write was accomplished both through editing the principal footage, and new and revised scenes filmed during pick-ups in 2004.[49]

Lucas often exaggerated the amount of material he wrote for the series; much of it stemmed from the post–1978 period when the series grew into a phenomenon. Michael Kaminski explained that these exaggerations were both a publicity and security measure. Kaminski rationalized that since the series' story radically changed throughout the years, it was always Lucas' intention to change the original story retroactively because audiences would only view the material from his perspective.[6][50]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2009, 07:01:03 PM »
damn thats crazy your that much into the lucas shit
thats waz up
how much material of star wars do you have in value you think?
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

Jaydc555

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2009, 07:10:50 PM »
Are their plans to release all 6 movies in a blu ray set?

Matty

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2009, 07:15:59 PM »
yeah eventually but lucas wants to redo the first 3 movies even more by replacing nearly all the backgrounds with CG so basically just having the actors left from the earlier versions. you can already get all the star wars movies in high definition by downloading the HDTV broadcast rips. you could burn blu-rays from them in theory or just watch through a computer.

Chad Vader

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2009, 07:20:30 PM »
damn thats crazy your that much into the Lucas shit
thats waz up

the post above is a quote from;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_wars  ;)
so not my words  :laugh: ;)

how much material of star wars do you have in value you think?

:laugh: :laugh:
I don't have a collection to speak off ;) other than the movies,some books and what not  :P :laugh: ;)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2009, 07:23:25 PM »
^my cousin has a SHITLOAD of Star Wars figures still in the box; some from like the 80's & 90's. :o

anyway, thanks Chad for the read; interesting stuff. ;)

i wonder if they will remake the old movies; i think it would sell.

probably wouldnt be NEAR as good, but with the technology it would be cool to watch.

Chad Vader

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2009, 07:23:29 PM »
yeah eventually but Lucas wants to redo the first 3 movies even more by replacing nearly all the backgrounds with CG so basically just having the actors left from the earlier versions. you can already get all the star wars movies in high definition by downloading the HDTV broadcast rips. you could burn blu-rays from them in theory or just watch through a computer.

didn't South Park or Simpson's do a Episode about that?  :laugh:

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2009, 07:29:11 PM »
thats waz up
jus wonderin cuz I c your surrounded by the star wars like halloween (star wars) never ends
Cube

westsiderider323

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2009, 07:31:58 PM »
no order

Borat
Next Friday
Dont Be A Menace
Anchorman
Jackass

ima comedy kinda guy  8)

Chad Vader

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2009, 07:44:09 PM »
thats waz up
jus wondering cuz I c your surrounded by the star wars like halloween (star wars) never ends

that ain't me  :laugh:
that's the wonderfull world called google (and youtube)  :P ;) :laugh: