Author Topic: Eminem sells 600k first week...  (Read 1507 times)

GimmeYourShoes

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Eminem sells 600k first week...
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 04:56:10 AM »
Bad economy isn't that significant factor for poor album sales. Even in tougher times consumers like to have luxuries. They rather hold on big investments like houses and cars than buying music.
What really kills album sales today is Itunes. In the '90s when people heard a song that they liked they would go to a record store and buy the whole album. Today they don' have to do that, they just log on to Itunes, get the song and perhaps preview some of the songs from the album and purchase the ones they liked.

truth ^^^^ (although album sales may still be slightly affected by the economy - unemplyoment rising means people may be struggling and aren't gonna waste $10 on an album when it could buy them food).
Yeah that is true. Of course if you live with a strict budget you'll weight your spendings more carefully but the bad economy = low album sales is exaggerated . Perhaps the music is just so damn uninspired these days. I must say that I haven't heard anything stunning in a long time.
In my opinion labels should start showing statistics of how much money they made of record sales in 2009 and in 1999. That way you could tell if music business has really suffered.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6</a>

MediumL

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 05:56:39 AM »
Bad economy isn't that significant factor for poor album sales. Even in tougher times consumers like to have luxuries. They rather hold on big investments like houses and cars than buying music.
What really kills album sales today is Itunes. In the '90s when people heard a song that they liked they would go to a record store and buy the whole album. Today they don' have to do that, they just log on to Itunes, get the song and perhaps preview some of the songs from the album and purchase the ones they liked.

truth ^^^^ (although album sales may still be slightly affected by the economy - unemplyoment rising means people may be struggling and aren't gonna waste $10 on an album when it could buy them food).
Yeah that is true. Of course if you live with a strict budget you'll weight your spendings more carefully but the bad economy = low album sales is exaggerated . Perhaps the music is just so damn uninspired these days. I must say that I haven't heard anything stunning in a long time.
In my opinion labels should start showing statistics of how much money they made of record sales in 2009 and in 1999. That way you could tell if music business has really suffered.

Its weird cause cinema ticket sales have done better recently yet music sales continue to slump. Maybe its the fact seeing a film at a cinema > watching it illegally on the pc or waiting till dvd release. Maybe the music industry needs to offer more stuff that can't simply be downloaded when releasing CDs.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Prof@ssor

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 06:22:52 AM »
You all forgot one thing: its not worldwide sales. He sold waaay more than 1 mill worldwide ;)

Drudge

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 06:33:58 AM »
Yeah his first week numbers could've been bigger for about 200k if he had a better single and not some recycled bullshit but calling this a flop is reaching. And mentioning Kanye, Wayne and Jigga is also reaching. Kanye did 900k but that was when he and 50 created this event, 808's only did 400k. Jigga sold like 750k with his comeback album but then had a 80& drop in 2nd week, simillar story with 50 and Curtis. And then there's Wayne who did 1 mill but that was hype, his new rock album is getting pushed back for like 6 months now.

First week sales are overrated, flop will be if in the end he's like under 3mill. And to say that the economy doesn't play part is also a weird statement. And you keep saying how the promotion for this album was amazing but I don't see it. They mostly relied on the name Eminem and that he is back. He had normal TV and radio appearances for any Interscope artist and when they started with the whole drug, rehab campaign it was mostly for Internet users and it was a little late (it was like 3 weeks until the record dropped).

yep

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 06:39:46 AM »
Shows how much downloading has changed the industry but I have a feeling his numbers would have been lower anyways.  He's been gone for a minute, people taste's have changed, and none of his singles were true radio bangers.  The most played one was We Made You.  

Based on those freestyles I'm looking forward to his future stuff more then I have enjoyed relapse.  I could feel him having fun on that Chonkyfire freestyle.  I actually think they should use that chorus for a track.  "i got you slipping on my swag juice."  That shit is on constant rotation.
downloading isn't hurting Eminem that much, as he's selling like crack on itunes :P

I don't believe that one minute.  Downloading has changed the name of the game.  I don't understand why people don't think this is the case.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 06:46:07 AM »
Shows how much downloading has changed the industry but I have a feeling his numbers would have been lower anyways.  He's been gone for a minute, people taste's have changed, and none of his singles were true radio bangers.  The most played one was We Made You.  

Based on those freestyles I'm looking forward to his future stuff more then I have enjoyed relapse.  I could feel him having fun on that Chonkyfire freestyle.  I actually think they should use that chorus for a track.  "i got you slipping on my swag juice."  That shit is on constant rotation.
downloading isn't hurting Eminem that much, as he's selling like crack on itunes :P

I don't believe that one minute.  Downloading has changed the name of the game.  I don't understand why people don't think this is the case.
that's up to you, but Eminem is doing better than i expected with digital sales.
you can check the charts, facts don't lie.

not to mention that, not everybody that downloads an album, would have purchased it, if there was no internet.

downloading mainly gets put in a negative perspective, but thanks to the file spreading, music reached people that it didn't reach before.

G-Funk

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 08:02:27 AM »
thats not bad, goin Gold on the first week is a success IMO, and at this rate he'll most likely be goin Platinum for this one.

Jaydc555

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 08:19:36 AM »
I wonder how much he did worlwide.

MediumL

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 08:21:22 AM »
I know he did over 200K in the UK. Depends on his fanbase eslsewhere...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Jaydc555

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 08:24:31 AM »
It seems like em and 50 are just as big in other countries as they are in the states.Where as most rappers only have a fan base in the states.

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 11:09:38 AM »
As of now, the highest selling hip hop record of the last 4 years is "Tha Carter III" at 3x platinum. I see Em hitting 2x platinum by the end of the summer, considering his appearances on upcoming award shows and events, a potential though very limited tour schedule and if he drops another video with mainstream appeal, most likely "Beautiful" being the obvious choice. I'll be surprised if he ties Wayne's 3 million, because you have to consider the numbers these days. It's a major accomplishment for an artist to hit gold, let alone platinum.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 11:11:42 AM »
i'd say worldwide Slim is at least 2x platinum. ;) 8)

Native American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 2o11
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 02:53:10 PM »
more and more people have access to the internet these days, so i can see 600 still good but i kno his next one will be more.....but they make up for alot of it in Concerts and Itunes.
EVERY LAST ONE OF ''Y-O-U'' BELIEVE THAT DR. DRE HAS MADE THESE SONG's FOR ''Y-O-U''.
THE REALITY IS THAT THE SONG's ARE ''ABOUT Y-O-U'' !!!!!!

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »
I didn't even buy the album, and I was probably one of his biggest fans from Feb. 99' when he released the Slim Shady LP all the way until D12 World dropped, I had to be one of his biggest fans.  So if people like me aren't even buying his albums anymore than something is wrong.  I thought the bonus tracks were excellent, just as on Encore I didn't like the album, but I thought "We As Americuns" was a great song.   I break Em's album's down like this.

Slim Shady LP-  5 out of 5
MMLP- 5 out of 5
D12-Devils Night-  5 out of 5
Eminem Show- 5 out of 5
8 Mile Soundtrack-  5 out of 5

D12 World- 3 out of 5
Encore-  2 out of 5
Relapse- 1 out of 5  (to me the whole album isn't even good for more than one listen.  I wish he would of put a whole album out with the same style as the bonus cuts)

That being said...I wanted him to outsell Wayne so I'm really disappointed with that.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:30:15 PM by Prescribed By Infinite »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

MediumL

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2009, 03:42:13 PM »
yer I was listening t As the World Turns earlier today and it made me realise how dope Em was back in the day. 2nd verse is one of the funniest sotires ive ever heard in a rap song.  8)